2018 MLB Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2018 MLB Season

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:As for bullpenning - might work in the regular season but not for a winner-take-all game in Oct in the Bronx. Need to have 4-5 pitchers that can handle that environment and as we saw last night a few of their pitchers spit the bit. Problem with the A's is they just don't have a big time starter. Period.
I was thinking about the A’s lack of a big time starter and it made me think of the Yankees last year. Tanaka should have been the go-to guy in the Wild Card, but he had such an up and down season that he couldn’t be trusted. Severino was lights out all year, but was totally inexperienced in a high pressure situation like that. They rolled the dice on Sevy and he completely shit the bed. But he was locked in as the big time starter and you could see it when this season started.

Fast forward to this year and they go right back to Sevy. He rewards that trust by striking out 7 over four innings of two-hit ball.

Who will Oakland go to next year? Their management has basically said, outside of Sean Manaea who won’t pitch at all next year, we don’t trust ANY of you starting pitchers. And they don’t have the money or will to sign a free agent. So do they go through next year “Bullpenning” again? They’ll be worn out by the end of July.

They should have tried to get a starter in a trade. I have to think they could have gotten Chris Archer. They have to have more minor league talent than Pittsburgh. Although I’m guessing they didn’t have the confidence in late July that they could sustain a playoff trajectory.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:As for bullpenning - might work in the regular season but not for a winner-take-all game in Oct in the Bronx. Need to have 4-5 pitchers that can handle that environment and as we saw last night a few of their pitchers spit the bit. Problem with the A's is they just don't have a big time starter. Period.
I was thinking about the A’s lack of a big time starter and it made me think of the Yankees last year. Tanaka should have been the go-to guy in the Wild Card, but he had such an up and down season that he couldn’t be trusted. Severino was lights out all year, but was totally inexperienced in a high pressure situation like that. They rolled the dice on Sevy and he completely shit the bed. But he was locked in as the big time starter and you could see it when this season started.

Fast forward to this year and they go right back to Sevy. He rewards that trust by striking out 7 over four innings of two-hit ball.

Who will Oakland go to next year? Their management has basically said, outside of Sean Menaia who won’t pitch at all next year, we don’t trust ANY of you starting pitchers. And they don’t have the money or will to sign a free agent. So do they go through next year “Bullpenning” again? They’ll be worn out by the end of July.

They should have tried to get a starter in a trade. I have to think they could have gotten Chris Archer. They have to have more minor league talent than Pittsburgh. Although I’m guessing they didn’t have the confidence in late July that they could sustain a playoff trajectory.
I think on Sevy it was less of a "roll of the dice" this year because the Yankees relied on analytics more so this time around from what I'm hearing out here. The numbers apparently faired well for pounding the A's with heaters. That's why they went with Sevy to start and then followed that up with Betances. This was an organization call no matter what Cashman or Boone says.

For Oakland, this moneyball/bullpenning will only take you so far. It can give you a chance in the regular season but I don't see it ever working in the post season where historically pitching and defense are the keys. The question is can they really afford a couple of top notch pitchers which would cost approx half of their current payroll?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If I’m the A’s, I would roll the dice and pay a few guys big(ger) bucks. Here’s why...

A) It makes the team more attractive to a potential buyer, a new city (Nashville, Vegas, Portland), or for Oakland to finally build them a new stadium.

B) Khris Davis isn’t a free agent until 2020, so win now AND make it more likely he re-signs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

OK now let's turn to my Dodgers. :)

Pitching Ryu instead of Kershaw in game 1 is an interesting move by Roberts. Not only is he pitching well this year but his Dodger Stadium ERA is 1.15.

If the Dodgers win game 1 then you have Kershaw and Buheler in games 2 and 3 which will be really rough for the Braves.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:OK now let's turn to my Dodgers. :)

Pitching Ryu instead of Kershaw in game 1 is an interesting move by Roberts. Not only is he pitching well this year but his Dodger Stadium ERA is 1.15.

If the Dodgers win game 1 then you have Kershaw and Buheler in games 2 and 3 which will be really rough for the Braves.
Feels like the Dodgers should take this series in 3 or 4. Winning game 1 is key to keeping the Braves youngsters feeling the pressure, and I also like starting Ryu. Kershaw pitching to go up 2-0 could mean the series is already over.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welp, I’d say starting Ryu was a good call...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:Welp, I’d say starting Ryu was a good call...
Ya think?

Yeah it was. Both Roberts and Boone have looked like geniuses so far which I never thought I would say.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Ya think?

Yeah it was. Both Roberts and Boone have looked like geniuses so far which I never thought I would say.
I’m not going to throw out my back sucking my own dick on Boone just yet. He’s still learning on the job (barf) and I expect he’ll cost the Yankees a game real quick here.

But then again, Girardi cost the Yankees a playoff game last year, so I guess it can happen to anyone.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Ya think?

I’m not going to throw out my back sucking my own dick on Boone just yet. He’s still learning on the job (barf) and I expect he’ll cost the Yankees a game real quick here.

But then again, Girardi cost the Yankees a playoff game last year, so I guess it can happen to anyone.
I know you are pumped for Yanks-Sox but wouldn't a Dodger-Yanks WS be something to see this year with those 2 power line-ups?

Might set a record for most home runs...and strikeouts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Ya think?

I know you are pumped for Yanks-Sox but wouldn't a Dodger-Yanks WS be something to see this year with those 2 power line-ups?

I’d fear for the fans’ safety with Tanaka on the mound. He’s the type of guy to break the record for homers surrendered but still go 2-0.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Ya think?

I’d fear for the fans’ safety with Tanaka on the mound. He’s the type of guy to break the record for homers surrendered but still go 2-0.
Jansen too...ugh
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Both Roberts and Boone have looked like geniuses so far which I never thought I would say.
Yeah....... about that.........
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:Both Roberts and Boone have looked like geniuses so far which I never thought I would say.
Well at least one of them has been...

Not sure you can blame Boone that much for last night unless you had a crystal ball on Stanton. Starting Happ didn't surprise many people out here...but his performance sure did.

Sox were very lucky to get the win as Yanks had multiple opportunities to blow the game wide open.

Don't worry Chi you get to feast on Price tonight. I'd be surprised if the Yanks don't pound him early.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Not sure you can blame Boone that much for last night unless you had a crystal ball on Stanton. Starting Happ didn't surprise many people out here...but his performance sure did.

Sox were very lucky to get the win as Yanks had multiple opportunities to blow the game wide open.

Don't worry Chi you get to feast on Price tonight. I'd be surprised if the Yanks don't pound him early.
You are a prophet.

When David Price goes to bed, he checks the closet for Gary Sanchez.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You are a prophet.

When David Price goes to bed, he checks the closet for Gary Sanchez.
That was easy money.

I think Price should be less worried if Sanchez is in the closet as opposed to a Sox fan right now. Fans up here are saying he should never get the ball again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He’s only the highest paid pitcher in the world. What do they expect? One measly playoff win? Heh...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would not sleep on the Brewers.... They caught the Cubs in the last month of the season and haven't lost in a long while
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I would not sleep on the Brewers.... They caught the Cubs in the last month of the season and haven't lost in a long while
My concern for them is possibly too much rest. They’ve won 11 in a row and 14 out of their last 16. I bet they’re chomping at the bit to get back out there so their momentum and timing doesn’t disappear.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I would not sleep on the Brewers.... They caught the Cubs in the last month of the season and haven't lost in a long while
My concern for them is possibly too much rest. They’ve won 11 in a row and 14 out of their last 16. I bet they’re chomping at the bit to get back out there so their momentum and timing doesn’t disappear.
And the way the Dodgers are gift wrapping games to Atlanta it might be an even longer wait for the Brewers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ugly Yankees
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:Ugly Yankees
You were too kind. That was a beat down.

I think CC comes through for you tonight and we will have a game 5, as it it probably should be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Ugly Yankees
You were too kind. That was a beat down.

I think CC comes through for you tonight and we will have a game 5, as it it probably should be.
I posted that in the 4th. It only got uglier from there.

Wish I had your confidence in CC...
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am definitely cheering for the Brewers. They rarely get to this point. The last time they were this good was in 1982 when they had one of the most powerful HR hitting teams of all time.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote:I am definitely cheering for the Brewers. They rarely get to this point. The last time they were this good was in 1982 when they had one of the most powerful HR hitting teams of all time.
Since Cleveland and Atlanta are now out all the remaining teams are awful. Brewers are the least of the five remaining but they have Ryan Braun the cheating douchebag so I just cant cheer for them especially when he was totally on steroids when the Brewers beat the D-Backs in the 2011 playoffs
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

[youtube]www.youtube.com/embed/fWKA9Zi5-_Y[/youtube]

I guess as a Cubs fan I am supposed to hate Milwaukee being a Cubs fan. And I don't cheer for Milwaukee during the regular season or when they play the Cubs. But when Milwaukee was in the American league I used to follow them. Saw them in County Stadium a few times in 1982 when they had "Harvey's Wallbangers". That was a fun team to watch.

BTW I still hate the White Sox with a passion.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I am definitely cheering for the Brewers. They rarely get to this point. The last time they were this good was in 1982 when they had one of the most powerful HR hitting teams of all time.
Since Cleveland and Atlanta are now out all the remaining teams are awful. Brewers are the least of the five remaining but they have Ryan Braun the cheating douchebag so I just cant cheer for them especially when he was totally on steroids when the Brewers beat the D-Backs in the 2011 playoffs
Luis Gonzalez’s World Series winning hit says “Hey, hows it going Machina?”
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Luis Gonzalez’s World Series winning hit says “Hey, hows it going Machina?”
As well as every Yankee world series in the last 40 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

40? Ok...

By Machina’s logic he should hate every team.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:40? Ok...

By Machina’s logic he should hate every team.
Pretty much yeah. So it's dumb to throw the cheating steroids thing out about any team, since every team that won a WS probably from like 1980-2008 had guys "cheating".

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I fucking hate Boston.

Go Astros.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:I fucking hate Boston.

Go Astros.
Everyone hates Boston, but it's even better to hate the Yankees.

Only likeable team left is the Brewers.

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Go Astros.

Bob Euchre is still announcing play-by-play on Brewers radio. He's been announcing since 71, and he is 84 years old. I'd like to see him win a championship before he leaves, kind of like the Harry Caray of the Brewers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Go Astros.
That’s not hate.

People may root against those teams, but that’s not hate.

Hate is what I feel, and you don’t get to take that from me by aligning it with your little petty envy.

I hate Boston. You just have a vague feeling that you shouldn’t be cheering them on.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Nah it's hate

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Nah it's hate
Ok, sure.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

People are blaming Boone for his reluctance to remove his starters earlier in the last 2 games. Last night they are saying Robertson should have at least been warming up when CC led off the 3rd hitting Benintendi.

I think the real blame with the Yanks is the fact they did not hit any home runs and scored only 4 measly runs in 2 crucial home playoff games.

Live by the home run...die by the home run. Hope my Dodgers take note of this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don’t blame Boone. They lost to the better team but fought to the final out in two of the three losses.

I think the Yankees see clearly where they need to improve. They need more guys who can get on base and another top line starter.

Whether that’s what they get this offseason remains to be seen.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:I don’t blame Boone. They lost to the better team but fought to the final out in two of the three losses.

I think the Yankees see clearly where they need to improve. They need more guys who can get on base and another top line starter.

Agreed, but you know some Yankee fans are always looking for a scapegoat. Stanton may now be the poster child.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I don’t blame Boone. They lost to the better team but fought to the final out in two of the three losses.

Agreed, but you know some Yankee fans are always looking for a scapegoat. Stanton may now be the poster child.
It was a lot of guys’ first postseasons, Stanton included. My hope is that he’ll work on a consistent approach at the plate so he’s not so hot & cold and won’t still be tweaking his stance and swing into Sept/Oct.

If his performance isn’t a motivating factor, then it’s an issue. Everyone should be in wait and see mode, but yeah, fans are spoiled and fickle and look for easy marks to blame. Same assholes who were booing Stanton a week into the season.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Catintheheat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Go Astros.

Bob Euchre is still announcing play-by-play on Brewers radio. He's been announcing since 71, and he is 84 years old. I'd like to see him win a championship before he leaves, kind of like the Harry Caray of the Brewers.
Yeah... I'm rooting for the Brewers because of Euchre. He deserves it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I had no idea Euchre was alive. He's one of those people I assume died in the early 90s.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It’s Uecker. Euchre is a card game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Juuuuuuust a bit outside...”
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:“Juuuuuuust a bit outside...”
Didi to have Tommy John surgery.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Puig promised the Dodgers would go back to the World series so I'm going with that...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
I know. Which makes me think the Machado train is pulling into the station. And that’s better than the Harper train.

The Yankees have plenty of young infielders who get on base, so my preference is pitching. Didi comes back by August and they won’t miss a beat.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
I know. Which makes me think the Machado train is pulling into the station. And that’s better than the Harper train.

The Yankees have plenty of young infielders who get on base, so my preference is pitching. Didi comes back by August and they won’t miss a beat.
Agree with you.

The last thing the Yankees need right now is another right-handed slugger who is streaky.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:

Agree with you.

The last thing the Yankees need right now is another right-handed slugger who is streaky.
I’ve been screaming that, but no one can hear me over here in the Midwest.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chick's dig the long balls. I guess the yanks do too
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Dodgers are in need of some fielding practice