Post by Coop Cat »

Coop Cat

Re: 2016 MLB Season

Post by Coop Cat »

Huge One:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You'd think the Red Sox would have learned their lesson.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Has paying a player that kind of money ever worked out for a team?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

What are the odds he starts 217 games in the next 7 years?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:What are the odds he starts 217 games in the next 7 years?
For the Red Sox? I'd say 10,000 to 1.

Why are teams giving elite pitchers three year opt outs? Do they want to be like the Dodgers and get shaken down for more money less than halfway through a contract?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Didnt CC get the first opt-out?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Didnt CC get the first opt-out?
ARod in his Texas deal. CC was the first pitcher.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

It appears John Lackey will accept a 2 year deal with the Chicago Cubs for $32 mil, pending on passing a physical (he is 37). The Cubs are also working on moving Baez to center field.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I like the Lackey signing if they use the extra savings from a Price, Cueto, Greinke type contract to secure another good starter in that $15-20 million range. A number 3 type guy.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ZObrist to the Cubs, Sarlin to the Yanks
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Cubs just signed Heyward.

:shock:
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Chicat wrote:The Cubs just signed Heyward.

:shock:
$184 million for 8 years. Right now he would play center field and lead off. They have talent to trade for a true center fielder and move Heyward to right. I really believe it's because players want to play for Joe Maddon. The Cubs could use another quality starter and maybe tweak the outfield by trading some of their young talent for a true center fielder and move Heyward back to right field. There are rumors they are trying to trade Soler.

When you add Ben Zobrist, who is arguably the best utility player in the game, that lineup is powerful, very young, and will probably be the favorites to win it all next year. I was glad they traded Castro. He's a streaky hitter and can carry a team when hot. But he is an average fielder at best, plus he doesn't like to walk. I wonder what they will do at second base. I'm guessing Zobrist will play second and Russell at short.

I'm hopeful my favorite professional sports team championship drought may be coming to an end. I can't wait for next season to start.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Best news of the offseason:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Verducci and Reynolds are both great. The real question is, why is Buck still around?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm hoping they hang onto Miller. In conjunction with Betances and Chapman, that bullpen is lights out. Pretty much every game they lead would be over by the top of the 7th inning.

Hope they can lock him up long-term, and not have this be a one year rental. All the Yankees need is for two of those minor leaguers to be on the Reds roster in a couple of years and all of NY will be talking about them trading away the future again.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

rgdeuce wrote:Verducci and Reynolds are both great. The real question is, why is Buck still around?
Reynolds makes so many mistakes during a broadcast it is comical and his "old school" approach and being unable to get off that is frustrating to listen to. Also, you can tell during a broadcast which players he is "boys" with b/c he will stick up for them no matter what and will make plenty of excuses for poor play (Cano/Phillips). Verducci had tried to morph into a hitting coach and pitching coach during games. Since when did he become the technical expert of a players swing?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Coop Cat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Verducci and Reynolds are both great. The real question is, why is Buck still around?
Reynolds makes so many mistakes during a broadcast it is comical and his "old school" approach and being unable to get off that is frustrating to listen to. Also, you can tell during a broadcast which players he is "boys" with b/c he will stick up for them no matter what and will make plenty of excuses for poor play (Cano/Phillips). Verducci had tried to morph into a hitting coach and pitching coach during games. Since when did he become the technical expert of a players swing?
Plenty of old school guys. Cal Ripken Jr continued to defend the hell out of the Chase Utley slide. It was annoying while it lasted and he wouldn't shut up about it, but no one is calling for his head. Reynolds is flawed and simple a lot of the time, but so are countless other ex-players in the booth. Dude knows the game and has been one of the better analysts since he was with ESPN. It doesn't 100 percent translate to the booth, but I dont think he is bad or dumb, that's just not his strength.

Verducci knows a hell of a lot about baseball and is one of the biggest "insiders" in the game. He actually has great relationships with most people involved with the game, so I'd imagine he has frequent conversations with hitting and pitching coaches, managers, players, and scouts, and has picked up a lot about mechanics from them. It doesn't take an ex-ballplayer to tell people a pitcher's arm slot is dropping, or a hitter is opening up their hips too soon. A good portion of mechanical errors can be picked up rather easily, ruling out other (and deeper) causes and fixing the problems are the most difficult part. You can pick that up from watching the game and having conversations with people who know the game. He has been spot on on a lot of things when I have heard him. Bob Costas is another guy who does this. Again, never a ballplayer, but the dude knows his shit about baseball, history and the game itself. Joe Buck on the other hand rarely spends time around the game (he has acknowledged this himself) and he thinks he is Leo effing Mazzone or Bill Walsh and will argue with ex players forever, baseball and football.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I liked Harold Reynolds before he became a cartoon character.

He should try doing some research instead of just relying on "back when I was playing...".
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nobody is worse than Steve Lyons and Steve Stone for that. Ugh. And the latter is a guy who has to over-analyze every damn thing during the game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

There needs to be some form of accountability for these voters. Votes need to be made public. The three people who didn't vote for Griffey. If it were a case of "Well Ruth didn't get in w 100 percent, then no one is," then that is completely ridiculous and they should lose their vote. Somewhat excusable if it were a strategic move: he's a lock, im saving that vote to push someone like Raines in, or to keep Jim Edmonds on the ballot. But the jackasses who dont vote for Griffey, or the three jackasses who thought Mike Sweeney or (two) David Eckstein is a hall of famer, or wasted those votes because they liked them and didn't want the poor guys to get skunked, those are the ones who need to lose their vote. It's a privilege to be given that power.

But then you look at some of these guys public ballots, mostly ESPN and MLB Network guys (players, non players, geeks) and u can see why it was cut back to 10, because the standard would probably be going back down. I like it at 10. Most years, 1 or 2 guys are getting voted in. There have been years with zero. I can see a crowded ballot, there were 7 guys total in 2014 & 2015, but 2012 & 2013 there was one total. The steroid guys may actually be keeping some undeserving guys out as well. But give me 10 and it's easy. That gives more than enough to push through my for sures, as well as guys I am on the fence on that I will just bite the bullet for and push through. If youre a steroids apologist, those fence guys can wait another year, then push the cheaters through.

Shoe ins:

1) Griffey (greatest player of his generation, one of the all time best)
2) Piazza (greatest hitter catcher ever and one of the best hitters of his time, period)

Then I have guys I feel are HOFs but not slam dunk, or am on the fence about, but ultimately I feel they should be in (no particular order):
3) Hoffman (would be all time saves leader had there been no Mariano, lights out closer for most of his tremendously long career and was the top 2 for a very extended period).
4) Raines (huge OBP for a non power hitter, top 5 in all time steals and highest SB% of all five, game changer)
5) Bagwell (30HR 100RBI every year, at least, despite playing half his career in a power hitters nightmare ballpark, OBP beast, excellent defender, could steal bases, several beast years)
6) Edgar Martinez (best pure right handed hitter of his time, 2nd greatest DH of all time (Ortiz), OBP beast, 10 seasons of 300+ batting avg, seven 320+, many of those with good-great power #'s)
7) Jeff Kent (cleanup numbers from 2nd baseman, most HR by 2nd baseman in history/greatest power hitting 2nd baseman) 12 years 20+ HR (averaged 29 over 5 year period), 8 years 100+RBI, 290 career hitter, almost all of it in pitchers parks, underrated fielder.
8) Curt Schilling (one of, if not the greatest postseason/big game pitchers of all time; largely responsible for 3 world championships; would have 2 Cy Youngs had it not been for teammate Randy Johnson, finished 2nd to Johan in another year; wasnt a top 5 pitcher for quite a bit of his career, but not his fault there was Pedro, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Johnson, Johan, etc)
9) McGriff (gave you 30 and 100 every year, 10 30+ seasons, 7 before steroid era was taking off, league leader twice, eight 100+ RBI seasons, solid glove. Face it, if he had 7 more homeruns to get to 500 he would already be in)
10) Trammell - (id have him just shy if I didn't look at the shortstops behind him in advanced numbers who are already in, or locks to get in (Larkin, Jeter most notably, but at least 11 more shortstops worse, and yes, most of them are old farts who have no place in to begin with) I mean hes close, very very close even without looking at those names)

Snubs/close but not in my opinion:
-Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sheffield, Sosa (I'm not letting the juicers in, and all these guys range from beyond solid info to you know they used)
- Mussina: Lifetime 3.68 ERA, only one season below 3 and never led the league, no Cy Youngs (finished 2nd once, 8 seasons as a 4-6 finisher despite having win numbers bolstered by yankees offense for half his career, very very good for a long period, but wasnt hall of fame level for more than a few seasons and he lacks an insanely dominant season)
-Lee Smith (easier era than Hoffman, yet higher ERA, he's probably 7th or 8th best closer of all time right now, outside of top 10 if you factor current players, and you need to be MUCH better that that to get in)
- Larry Walker (very very borderline. You look at his numbers and you think he is getting in. Look at the numbers that adjust for him playing in Coors field and you start second guessing yourself. Hit 70 points lower on the road and slugged 140 points lower. Criminally underrated, great fielder)

You want to argue, shuffle things around, thats fine. But there were guys saying they needed 15 votes this year. Crazy. I could easily hold off on a McGriff, Trammell, Schilling, whoever, to push in guys in an emergency. Even in a year of two or three clear cut guys.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

So this might be the last year without a DH?

Too bad
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:So this might be the last year without a DH?

Too bad
What do you mean? I've been reading that they are considering adding the DH to the National League.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:

Too bad
What do you mean? I've been reading that they are considering adding the DH to the National League.
That's what Bug is saying.

I wish it would go the other way since the same rules should apply to both leagues, but the union won't allow MLB to put all those current DH's out of a job and their multi million dollar contracts.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:

Too bad
I heard 2017 may bring the DH, which means 2016 might be the last year the NL is without it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Too bad
That's what Bug is saying.

I wish it would go the other way since the same rules should apply to both leagues, but the union won't allow MLB to put all those current DH's out of a job and their multi million dollar contracts.
I must have misread his post. I read it to mean that there will be no more DH at all. I need more coffee.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ugh. Please no DH in the National League.....
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They scrapped it for the time being
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

This is part of the negotiations and settlements MLB has with its customers and cable/MLB,TV providers. There are important changes, especially for Comcast/DIRECTV subscribers. The part I put in this post is the most important to me since I'm a Cubs fan and live out-of-market. There many other plans too and a lot of changes this year. I'm thrilled. My price for the year went from $130 to $85. That's huge.

http://www.mlbbroadcastingsettlement.com/" target="_blank
• Single-Team Packages: MLB will offer packages of single teams’ out-of-market games through MLB.TV (for example, a stream of just the Kansas City Royals’ games for out-of-market subscribers). This product will cost $84.99 for a full season in 2016, with MLB allowed to raise the price by no more than 3% (or COLA, if higher) for each of the next four years. MLB has also agreed to make this option available to Comcast and DIRECTV so that they may offer seasonal packages of single team games for each and every MLB Club available through MLB Extra Innings, although Comcast and DIRECTV are not obligated to offer such packages.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am so looking forward to MLB this year. Spring training games start in 2 weeks. I can't wait.

Arizona Basketball > Cubs Baseball > Arizona Football > UA Sports in general > everything else

That about sums it up for me. I'm not a big football fan overall. And even less of a fan of the NFL. That's why UA isn't higher on the list.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

MLB banned rolling block slides. Always hates the rule. Too many players can get hurt with legal slides
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Dexter Fowler resigns a one year deal with the Cubs. That moves Jason Heyward to right field. Not sure what they are going to do with Soler and Schwarber, let alone Baez.

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/2016/02/dex ... free-agent" target="_blank
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Interesting:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

We know why Brett Anderson took the QO from the Dodgers. Out 3-5 months with a bulged disc
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

In a move that doesn't surprise anyone, Utley has his suspension revoked for his slide last year
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kenny Williams is a joke. He fails upward better than anyone not named Lane Kiffen.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I see both sides on this issue. Sounds like the ChiSox asked to keep it to home games and spring training
97cats

Post by 97cats »

look im no Ken Williams defender, but keep the kids out of the clubhouse on the regular
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97cats wrote:look im no Ken Williams defender, but keep the kids out of the clubhouse on the regular
Not that I disagree, but that is one of those things you just have to leave to the players themselves to police. We aren't getting the full story, but I highly doubt a respected clubhouse guy like LaRoche, who is loved by pretty much every teammate he has ever played with, gave his whole team the middle finger when other players stepped in and told him it was excessive. And the outcome, walking away from baseball with $13 mil on the table? Maybe a few younger guys who haven't fully learned the intricacies of the clubhouse dynamic didn't have the balls to step up and say something. Maybe they did, and the vets told them to stay in their lane, that LaRoche earned having his son around a bit more than most. But to me this wreaks of management being mad at LaRoche's 207 12 44 stat line on a 2 year/$25 million contract, and they were f--king with him.

While I have never been in an MLB clubhouse during the regular season, I have twice been in one during spring training, when it is more crowded due to the expanded roster size and spring training facility clubhouses being smaller and less accommodating than the ones you will find in a big league ballpark. There were tons of kids in there both times. Most stayed near daddy, a few 2-4 year olds had a lot of energy and were running around, but there was always another ballplayer (usually a young guy without kids) to grab their attention and play with them. I'm sure there are devil childs who can annoy some players, but it's just temporary and you charge it to the game because someday you are going to be there and would want the same courtesy from other players. Those guys typically get together in packs anyways and will find something else to do, play cards or whatever, and everything else gets tuned out. Good friend of mine is the guy immediately below the clubhouse manager for an MLB team, so I have heard tons of stories over the years. He's really private/paranoid so I wont give away which ball club. Part of his job is to make sure players have what they need - uniform/equipment issues, leaving the ballpark to run an errand for a player, making sure players have their favorite food/drinks, etc. This extends to player's families. I've heard him complain about a ton of ridiculous players, but most are very good/respectful to him. Never once heard him complain about any kids.

As much as I think Joe Maddon is a d-bag, there was an article after this LaRoche thing about how the Cubs do things, and you have to respect the hell out of that and I gained a lot of respect for Maddon/Epstein after reading it. Basically hands off, limited rules in the clubhouse and let players police themselves. No dress code, wear what you want and what is comfortable. Akin to what google does for their employees. Same thing with kids in the clubhouses, let the own players handle that like men. White Sox are killing themselves with this. Would you rather play for Team A who will dig into family stuff if you aren't hitting well? Or Team B a player's program like the Cubs. They are going to have free agents continuing to line up for that. Guys will take paycuts for that and keep your team salary down. I can get a kid being in there more than usual, but these guys are away from their kids so much, I would be very understanding and patient, even if the kid is a pain in the ass. When I'm out of town on business, which is very infrequent, I am a mess away from my kids. And that is only 2-4 days. Couldnt imagine being away half the time from April through September.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Not that I disagree, but that is one of those things you just have to leave to the players themselves to police.

Sound like something an organization wouldn't want. Players get in fight over kid int he clubhouse.

LaRoche earned having his son around a bit more than most.

A bit more? His son was there for every game and had his own locker

But to me this wreaks of management being mad at LaRoche's 207 12 44 stat line on a 2 year/$25 million contract, and they were f--king with him.

Probably, yes. The benefits/downside of management.

As much as I think Joe Maddon is a d-bag, there was an article after this LaRoche thing about how the Cubs do things, and you have to respect the hell out of that and I gained a lot of respect for Maddon/Epstein after reading it. Basically hands off, limited rules in the clubhouse and let players police themselves. No dress code, wear what you want and what is comfortable.

Winning does that.

I can get a kid being in there more than usual, but these guys are away from their kids so much, I would be very understanding and patient, even if the kid is a pain in the ass. When I'm out of town on business, which is very infrequent, I am a mess away from my kids. And that is only 2-4 days. Couldnt imagine being away half the time from April through September.

The problem was that nobody said his kid couldn't be around on road trips or in the stadium or with him other than the clubhouse? Since the mom was everywhere, was she in the clubhouse? No, she was probably sitting in seats in the stadium with the rest of the players families.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol. Look, Bug, players policing each other, thats how things work in baseball and have forever. The clubhouse belongs to the players. Not the manager and coaches, not the GM, not the owner. Vets police the rookies and other young players. See all the stories of guys getting in Bryce Harper's ass since he has been in the league, see Greinke and other Dodgers and Puig. May be beyond your comprehension that managers frequently call in vets to "handle the rookie" or problems between other teammates but it happens very frequently.

Cubs and winning? I can see how one year of winning would change everything. Or maybe Maddon was already laid back and eccentric in Tampa Bay. Positive culture and chemistry can influence winning. See the Papi/Manny Red Sox. Micromanaging/controlling managers generally arent liked by players. See why Bobby Valentine was an absolute mess in Boston, and why the usually quiet Adrian Gonzalez was vocal about running him out. The Boston brought in the wrong mix and the clubhouse and policing went out the door, guys were slamming beers and eating chicken. Speaking of Boston, oh yeah, Theo Epstein, now where did he come from? It's winning though, not the past experiences/philosophies of two guys with a history of this.

And fights happen on teams in any sport, regardless of policing. All of this should be easy to grasp as, you know, baseball is known as the gentleman's game with all of those unwritten rules, retaliation and lessons and handling problems/serving justice with beaned batters, etc. A game that essentially polices itself and has forever, but naturally, players policing their own clubhouses would be pushing things too far. As for kids themselves I mean shit, see Bonds and Bakers kids in the dugouts, being batboys, coming out to kiss their dad after every homerun. That isnt some uncommon thing
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Was he gettin' jiggy wit it?

Chicat wrote:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Was he gettin' jiggy wit it?

Chicat wrote:
Sigh, parents just don't understand...