Game 1, vs UTSA (2015)

In Game Discussions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: Game 1, vs UTSA (2015)

Post by cordera89 »

You cant blame him thou for being piss on how this game has been.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Never been so happy to see a game end.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

threenumberones wrote:Didn't think a depressing win was possible.
Nailed it
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

threenumberones wrote:Didn't think a depressing win was possible.
Dude, I feel you. I can't remember being so disappointed after a win in which we scored 42 points. We lost so many people and really one HUGE person.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

p12n is streaming RR's postgame presser, no?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

well it was a poor game but we got the W
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Macho Grande wrote:Man. And I thought Stoops was grumpy.
Quote of the night.

This was a very ugly win.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not even RR can overcome the flaccid Tucson culture that turns even proven talent back into non-football ready mama's boys.

Sorry...venting a little.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

DW99 is looking for a ban, wouldn't ya say? I'm all about trolls, but not in a game thread.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

43-32 'Cats. Meh.

G'night,
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I am reminded of this and Nevada last year. RR holds the playbook back so hard during the first games. Toad would have ran it up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I felt better after the Toledo win.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not a good sign when utsa's offense with its 2 returning starters far outperforms ours.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

RR said Scooby might be out a few weeks waiting on MRI but doesn't know
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gilbertcat wrote:I am reminded of this and Nevada last year. RR holds the playbook back so hard during the first games. Toad would have ran it up.
Thanks for making me feel better.

I thought we were largely outplayed by (what should be) a (much) inferior team at home. The 525 yards we surrendered, vs the 392 we gained, seemed to be a real cause for concern.

Good to know it was simply conservative play calling and a merciful RichRod. Although you are not giving Casteel enough credit for his sensitivity to the opponent's delicate psyche

Now I'll go to CasctusRanch and make fun of ASU fans for being delusional.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Gilbertcat wrote:RR said Scooby might be out a few weeks waiting on MRI but doesn't know
A few weeks brings Nevada and NAU. We should be able to win without Scooby. We desperately need him for UCLA.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Can't wait for basketball season to start
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

We desperately need someone like Scooby on this team who is disgusted by tonight's performance and will walk the walk rather than blow more talk all over dogshit.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Can't wait for basketball season to start
I was wondering when someone was going to post this. As a football guy, I was hoping the first time this was posted was during the UCLA game.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

catgrad97 wrote:Not even RR can overcome the flaccid Tucson culture that turns even proven talent back into non-football ready mama's boys.

:?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAdevil wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Not even RR can overcome the flaccid Tucson culture that turns even proven talent back into non-football ready mama's boys.

To clarify: Arizona is one of the nation's worst athletic programs in all of college sports getting out of the gate.

We just are. It's our identity now. Can't change it...need to somehow overcome it.

Basketball? Slow start but play the best at the right time. Baseball? Start slow but get hot at the right time. Softball? Build one pitcher into a dominant arm then ride it through the postseason.

If anything, it's more pronounced for football. Probably because so many people involved with the program have so much going for them, say all the right things, then come out against the worst of the worst and play mostly like they're just trying not to embarrass themselves.

It's an approach that ensures the Cats will never secure the high ground in this sport. They'll always be playing just to win...however. Not their way, just kitchen sink desperation like Casteel was doing after Scooby left tonight.

We opened looking horrendously out of game shape. So many guys tapping themselves out of the lineup tonight. Doesn't bode well.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

catgrad97 wrote:
UAdevil wrote:

To clarify: Arizona is one of the nation's worst athletic programs in all of college sports getting out of the gate.

We just are. It's our identity now. Can't change it...need to somehow overcome it.

Basketball? Slow start but play the best at the right time. Baseball? Start slow but get hot at the right time. Softball? Build one pitcher into a dominant arm then ride it through the postseason.

If anything, it's more pronounced for football. Probably because so many people involved with the program have so much going for them, say all the right things, then come out against the worst of the worst and play mostly like they're just trying not to embarrass themselves.

It's an approach that ensures the Cats will never secure the high ground in this sport. They'll always be playing just to win...however. Not their way, just kitchen sink desperation like Casteel was doing after Scooby left tonight.

So many guys tapping themselves out of the lineup tonight. Doesn't bode well.
Not connecting any of that with 'flaccid Tucson culture".
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I added a final sentence to that post that hopefully makes it clear. Team just gets too comfortable in the off-season.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So now Tucson and it's culture is blamed....well that's just fucking ridiculous.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not nearly as ridiculous as how injury-prone and porous the line play was tonight for us on both sides of the ball.

I think we all expected this as wear-and-tear over the course of a long season with no byes.

But the first game? Against one of the objectively worst teams in Division I?

You've got to be hungrier than your opponent to win at this level, consistently. Team just seemed to once again revert to one without appetite tonight, wanting nothing but just to leave with the win. Sad.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Even RR is up there wondering why so many guys tapped themselves out. "Were we not in shape?"
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:Not nearly as ridiculous as how injury-prone and porous the line play was tonight for us on both sides of the ball.

I think we all expected this as wear-and-tear over the course of a long season with no byes.

You've got to be hungrier than your opponent to win at this level, consistently. Team just seemed to once again revert to one without appetite tonight, wanting nothing but just to leave with the win. Sad.
Which has nothing to to with Tucson.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Not nearly as ridiculous as how injury-prone and porous the line play was tonight for us on both sides of the ball.

Then why do so many of our sports come out and start like this? Hey, I admitted I was venting...what do you think the common element is?

Why do the Cats always need to wake up, in so many sports, in so many games?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just got back from the game.

Thoughts:

The DBs were as I expected.......slow and God-awful small. Not to mention they looked dazed and
confused. I trust Casteel will deal with the dazed & confused.........We are going to miss Mcknight.
I'm not looking forward to what the 6-4" PAC12 receivers will do to Morrison & O'Neal

The OL was awful. We are going to miss Gurrola, Baucus and Ebbelles.
DL/LB look about the same in terms of talent. I did think that Sani at NT looked significantly better than
last year.....maybe one of the few bright spots that I observed on defense.

My 8-4 season prediction is looking a little shaky at this moment.
Last edited by dmjcat on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

One game still equals one game. People were ready to declare the PAC unwinnable, Anu a bust (a freshman bust) and time wasted after our closer - than - expected win last year. Over what was supposed to be a much better UTSA team, but a team that untimely went 4-8 and was pretty bad. There were no real positives other than Nicks performance last year. The season was over.

Except it wasn't.

Team has a lot of work to ro, probably without Scooby for a while. But we are talented enough to use the long week to get ready for Nevada then NAU and win. Nevada is also down from their usual mid major strength. Survive, get healthy, and then we can begin to evaluate where we are.

Maybe this year, like 1994 and 1999, is when we learn the hype about who is returning oftentimes keeps us from seeing who is not. Forget D...time, a couple of players getting healthy, and Casteel ' s scheming ability will get them to what we need....a bending D that keeps us in striking distance. It is the O line that has the alarms going off in my head....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tagaloa did not play tonight.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:
I think this happens a lot in sports, to many more teams than just the Cats, and only feels consistently horrible for us (as opposed to for a lot of teams) because we're fans.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well that was awful. We looked terrible against an awful team. You wonder why people in tucson dont go to games, I bet 42K show up for NAU.

Our OLine looked awful, Our DLine looked awful, we lost scobby, our DB's looked awful and we looked tired and small and this is what happens when you do not recruit talented players consistently. Rich Rod is a great coach but you need great coaching COMBINED with great players to be a strong program.

I always forget, when it comes to Arizona football the glass is half empty. Why I ever forget that is beyond me.

Typical f*cking Arizona football
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who the f is scobby?

Hope nobody sprains an ankle jumping off the bandwagon. Those injuries can linger.

But I did get a kick out of the fact that dmjcat actually goes to the games. My morning laugh was the thought of him sitting their with his arms crossed, frown affixed to his mug, pouting the whole game. Most definitely needed, so thank you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Then why do so many of our sports come out and start like this? Hey, I admitted I was venting...what do you think the common element is?

Valley Fever
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Well, it was a win.

Anu at 61% and 151 rating (151 - whatever that means).
Wilson not quite a 100 yard game but much better in 2nd half.

Johnny Jackson play was nice. He was buried on depth chart most of camp. But he stayed ready.

Guess the biggest surprise was how many played on defense. Even if conditioning, that something that will improve by conference play. So much dictated by UTSA's offense. They had 95 plays - 35 minutes of possession. UTSA passed 50 times, ran 45 times.

(I'll note that UTSA was picked to finish last in their division in CUSA preseason media poll, handful returning starters. Just noting)

AZ had three 3-and-out drives. 1st game of season. many players out. Timing maybe.

Hopefully Scooby back during the season (for Scooby's sake. Career, NFL, stigma, $$). Obviously, I have more confidence with the offense. I don't expect the defense to be leaps better than LY, but not same or worse. I suspect Depth here is going to be a year-long issue.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Random thoughts

I think center and lb's were concerns going into the game, I think they are concerns coming out of it. CB's played well, liked what Anu did, Wilson got better in the second half as the line started to get its act together (missing their stud LT also). Last year they killed UNLV but had issues against UTSA, and I almost didnt go on a trip because of what I saw against Nevada, by the time they were down big against Cal I was ready to jump off....well the rest is history after that.

If this was a road game, nobody would have issues. Lets see what happens against Nevada in 8 days.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:Who the f is scobby?

Hope nobody sprains an ankle jumping off the bandwagon. Those injuries can linger.

But I did get a kick out of the fact that dmjcat actually goes to the games. My morning laugh was the thought of him sitting their with his arms crossed, frown affixed to his mug, pouting the whole game. Most definitely needed, so thank you.

I'm glad you got a laugh this morning. Yes, I have season Fball and BBall tix. I cheered loudly for most of the game last night.

My vision of you is a middle-aged overweight fan, sitting on his couch with a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey.....in an inebriated state
trying to figure out whats going on in the game. I hope you have a whole case of WT, as you may need it this year :lol: :lol: :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:

I'm glad you got a laugh this morning. Yes, I have season Fball and BBall tix. I cheered loudly for most of the game last night.

My vision of you is a middle-aged overweight fan, sitting on his couch with a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey.....in an inebriated state
trying to figure out whats going on in the game. I hope you have a whole case of WT, as you may need it this year :lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny I picture the same thing when I think about the majority of Half Glass Full Arizona football fans!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:

For which team?
dmjcat wrote:My vision of you is a middle-aged overweight fan, sitting on his couch with a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey.....in an inebriated state
Need to get your vision checked. I'm a scotch man.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

For which team? The UA of course
dmjcat wrote:My vision of you is a middle-aged overweight fan, sitting on his couch with a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey.....in an inebriated state
Need to get your vision checked. I'm a scotch man. I hope you can afford some Johnny Walker, although for the money the Wild Turkey will get you far more drunk.........the hangovers no fun though.

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

One thing is guaranteed...the fans will overreact. Overly positive during the off season, overly negative after a tough game. Reality is somewhere in between. I think Arizona is better than how they looked tonight with so many out and injured. I think we heal up, stop making stupid decisions off the field(S. Grant) and are less complacent in practice and the rest of the season. I will lower my 10 win prediction to 9 because depth is going to be more of an issue than I previously thought. Still excited about the start of the season and hoping for great things.

*I think SW will be out for 4 weeks.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Newportcat wrote: I always forget, when it comes to Arizona football the glass is half empty. Why I ever forget that is beyond me.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If anybody is interested the replay is on right now. Pac-12 Network.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newportcat wrote:Well that was awful. We looked terrible against an awful team. You wonder why people in tucson dont go to games, I bet 42K show up for NAU.

Our OLine looked awful, Our DLine looked awful, we lost scobby, our DB's looked awful and we looked tired and small and this is what happens when you do not recruit talented players consistently. Rich Rod is a great coach but you need great coaching COMBINED with great players to be a strong program.

I always forget, when it comes to Arizona football the glass is half empty. Why I ever forget that is beyond me.

Typical f*cking Arizona football

No chance 50+ easy. We Will look much better this week
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dmjcat wrote:Just got back from the game.

Thoughts:

The DBs were as I expected.......slow and God-awful small. Not to mention they looked dazed and
confused. I trust Casteel will deal with the dazed & confused.........We are going to miss Mcknight.
I'm not looking forward to what the 6-4" PAC12 receivers will do to Morrison & O'Neal

The OL was awful. We are going to miss Gurrola, Baucus and Ebbelles.
DL/LB look about the same in terms of talent. I did think that Sani at NT looked significantly better than
last year.....maybe one of the few bright spots that I observed on defense.

My 8-4 season prediction is looking a little shaky at this moment.

Let me guess, underdog in every game other than Wazzu. 5th in the PAC with a reasonable assumption they lose in Boulder. Keep it coming. DMJ, always a funny read.

We played 50+ players, went 3 strings deep. The lineup will tighten up when we hit UCLA. In the mean time, we develope depth and give kids experience. That game was never in jeopardy of being lost.

If you were an ASSU fan you would be cutting your wrist. Or Furd, or CU, or Wazzu, or Oregon for giving up 42 to EWU. Let the preseason play out than your comments might have some credence. Of course we beat UTSA last year in a wire job and Nevada by a score and yet we want 7-2 in conference.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion