NCAA Tournament Game 2, vs Ohio State (2014-2015)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: NCAA Tournament Game 2, vs Ohio State

Post by UAEebs86 »

catgrad97 wrote:First win for Miller at Arizona over a Big-10 team.
You mean in the tourney right?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I distinctly remember beating Michigan twice in the last 16 months
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
You mean in the tourney right?
Yes. First career tourney win for Miller over Big 10 school too IIRC.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Proud of the defense on #0 today. He should know who the best defenders are now. RHJ and TJM did great.
Last edited by In re UofA on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michcat

Post by michcat »

In the tournament...
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

In re UofA wrote:Proud of the defense on #0 today. He should know who the best defenders are now. RHJ and TJM did great.
Nope.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kevin Parrom loves his Cats. He is all over my Twitter feed!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
In re UofA wrote:Proud of the defense on #0 today. He should know who the best defenders are now. RHJ and TJM did great.
Nope.

3-19 speaks otherwise young man
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If it is OK with everyone, I think I will read this thread after-the-fact starting at page 15, working backward until I hit the early 2nd half.

I'll leave what had to be a total shit-storm in pages 3 through 9 or so for the imagination...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
Nope.

3-19 speaks otherwise young man
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... aa_to.html

D'Angelo Russell carried Ohio State all year, but his shot failed the Buckeyes in loss to Arizona: NCAA Tournament 2015

PORTLAND, Ore. -- D'Angelo Russell put his right hand on the back of his chair in the locker room and scooted forward. There was no shying away from what was about to happen, and even the freshman was old enough to know it.

Russell looked up at the horizontally-held iPhone, the one temporarily substituting as a camcorder, then turned to a teammate and said, "Uh oh," accompanied with a nervous chuckle.

The confident remarks he made the previous day came back to mind. Couple those with a 3-of-19 shooting performance in No. 10 Ohio State's 73-58 loss to No. 2 Arizona, and there was some explaining to do.

The same question had to be asked again: "Who is the best defender you've faced all year?"

Russell responded the same exact way as the previous day. The confident way. The only way.

"Nobody," he said.

But that wasn't true. Maybe there wasn't an individual opposing player deserving of all the credit, but the Arizona trio of Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, T.J. McConnell and Elliott Pitts had something to do with Russell's terrible night, which was only the second time all year he failed to reach double-digits in scoring. He finished with nine.

Arizona's size bothered him. That's what good defense does. But Russell got looks, and when he did, the ball just didn't go down, which is why the freshman had a hard time crediting the opposition.

"I just missed shots," Russell said. "If I would have made shots, I feel like you all would understand what I'm saying. I missed shots, so I guess you can credit whoever was guarding me. But I had a few clean looks. I just couldn't buy a bucket."

It's hard to blame Russell for reacting like that. He has a scorer's mentality and he had become so accustomed to getting hot and changing games. He did it all year. But when it mattered the most, against an elite opponent in Arizona with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line, Russell was a freshman.

"I kept thinking he was going to catch fire there, as he's done so many times this year, but unfortunately it was just one where the ball was going down for him," Ohio State coach Thad Matta said. "But he's had a heck of a freshman year, and we were going to ride him all the way."

That's why it's hard for Ohio State to accept the way its season ended. The Buckeyes were big underdogs and they weren't supposed to beat Arizona, but they actually got what they needed from Russell's often-fleeting supporting cast.

D'Angelo Russell after Arizona loss Ohio State freshman D'Angelo Russell meets with the media after his tough shooting night in the No. 10 Buckeyes' 73-58 loss to No. 2 Arizona in Portland on Saturday.
It wasn't like Ohio State's other losses when Russell lit it up and the rest of the team played like a dud. The senior class -- one that has taken the brunt of deserved criticism the last month -- produced.

Sam Thompson scored a game-high 18 points, Shannon Scott added 10 and Amir Williams made some plays in the post that required an extra bit of energy. If Ohio State would have known that would have been the production from the seniors before the game, the Buckeyes would have liked their odds.

D'Angelo Russell vs. ArizonaOhio State guard D'Angelo Russell had a really rough shooting night vs. Arizona. The Buckeyes couldn't overcome that. Craig Mitchelldyer, AP

Which brings us back to reality. This was a team that was always going to live and die by the freshman. Even when the supporting cast does what it's supposed to do -- provide support -- there's no way the Buckeyes could beat a team like Arizona with Russell not locating his shot.

"I know what my job is on the team, so if I'm missing shots, I am always in the position where I have to shoot more," Russell said.

"I can't pass up open looks. Anybody on the other team, if they air-ball one and get wide open on the next look, they might not have to shoot it. The position I am in, though, I have to shoot those shots.

"When I am making them, it's good. But when I'm missing, it's bad."

Russell doesn't miss them very often, which is why he became one of the most electrifying players in college basketball. This is probably the end of the road for Russell at Ohio State. He's a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft, which means starting right now he has become a pro.

And part of being a pro is taking your lumps when you don't live up to your job.

So here's one final question: Who else's shoulders does Ohio State's loss fall on outside of Russell's?

Nobody.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Made this at work yesterday.
Attachments
nobody can guard me.jpg
nobody can guard me.jpg (129.74 KiB) Viewed 685 times
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

:lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well done man!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That was Kimble the PAC ref who took Tarc out of the game on the clean deflection