NCAA Tournament Game 1, vs. Buffalo (2017-2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

LBdCactus

Re: NCAA Tournament Game 1, vs. Buffalo (2017-2018)

Post by LBdCactus »

zonagrad wrote:Some of you young guys won't remember, but this game is exactly like 1992 vs. East Tennessee State. We had a big front line then and unathletic, soft guard play. And we got handled. Same thing. We'd be a different looking team in the backcourt with Justin Simon and Kobi Simmons.
Had the same thought about ETSU. Also remember painful early exits under Lute, followed by the inevitable doubting of Lute's ability to coach, etc.. This somehow feels worse. Really feels like things have hit a wall and the pieces can't be put back together again. Hope CSM sticks around and proves me wrong.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SCCats wrote:Kudos to Buffalo. They totally kicked our ass and deserve this moment.
Yep. Hats off to a supremely intense effort that beat us in every facet of the game.
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

Countdown begins on Miller's resignation announcement.... what's the over/under?
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

I would rather have a team of 3 and 4 star 4 year players who buy in.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

LBdCactus wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Some of you young guys won't remember, but this game is exactly like 1992 vs. East Tennessee State. We had a big front line then and unathletic, soft guard play. And we got handled. Same thing. We'd be a different looking team in the backcourt with Justin Simon and Kobi Simmons.
Had the same thought about ETSU. Also remember painful early exits under Lute, followed by the inevitable doubting of Lute's ability to coach, etc.. This somehow feels worse. Really feels like things have hit a wall and the pieces can't be put back together again. Hope CSM sticks around and proves me wrong.
It feels worse because Lute's team also went to the FF every 4 years.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

RynoatSecond wrote:Countdown begins on Miller's resignation announcement.... what's the over/under?
Monday 11am
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

To think I let myself get slightly excited about Virginia losing their sixth man, thinking maybe we finally have some luck. Not sure why I let that happen, considering I watched this team all year and never thought we would make it far.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Buffalo 15-30 three point shooting. Arizona 2-18. And that pretty much tells the tale.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

LBdCactus wrote:
Agree on both points: that this feels like the pieces can't be put back together again but hopefully we're proven wrong.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Phylek wrote:Alkins and Trier never bought into the defense. Their whole career.
Still not sure how Alkins is even considered NBA ready. I like the dude and he has potential. But he isnt ready.
Yeah, he has zero elite skills. I'm not even sure what he is actually good at. He is decent at many things, so I guess there's that. And then, there is his dribbling ability and his defense, which are both horrendous
D league or whatever it's called. He's strong but not skilled.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Phylek wrote:I would rather have a team of 3 and 4 star 4 year players who buy in.
Same. That develop, buy in to the program, and play hard. I feel like we walk out and expect to win because of our name and legacy, and we get embarrassed. Ridiculous
RynoatSecond

Post by RynoatSecond »

I was lucky enough to have missed the Ben Lindsey year, but unfortunately, it may be pretty darn ugly later this year. McKale Center 1/2 to 2/3 full...... the dynasty is dead. Anybody have any potential coaching prospects who can get us back on track quickly?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

phxcat23 wrote:
Phylek wrote:I would rather have a team of 3 and 4 star 4 year players who buy in.
Same. That develop, buy in to the program, and play hard. I feel like we walk out and expect to win because of our name and legacy, and we get embarrassed. Ridiculous

Miller excelled at Xavier with those kind of players. Unfortunately, Miller is such a great recruiter he got these 5 stars who never bought in.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RynoatSecond wrote:I was lucky enough to have missed the Ben Lindsey year, but unfortunately, it may be pretty darn ugly later this year. McKale Center 1/2 to 2/3 full...... the dynasty is dead. Anybody have any potential coaching prospects who can get us back on track quickly?
it will take a few years of losing records for mckale to be 1/2 full. even during the Pennell year and Miller's 1st season when things were still all in limbo we averaged like 85-90% capacity even for small mid major OOC games. if we are like a bottom half pac 12 team and don't make the tournament for the next 2-3 years then I could see us dipping down into the only 9-10k per game average.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

phxcat23 wrote:
Dusan Ristic bought in. He was all in for all four years. And he played well tonight given his skill set limitations.

But with Trier, I feel like you make a deal with the devil. He gives you points and has attractive qualities. But he's nothing close to a complete player. Or maybe he just needs a really good point guard to facilitate and make him better. But with PJC & Trier, that's a deadly combination. And Ayton bailed us out all season.

I feel real bad for PJC. He played hard all year. And he had his moments. I have no doubt about his commitment and his effort. Won't ever question that. But we knew all year, even last year, that hitching your ride to a point guard of his ability was not going to work. That's why we never blew out opponents this season. Every game was a grind. I tip my hat to PJC because he's a Wildcat and played with class and dignity. But a premiere program just can't have someone like him running the show and expect to consistently beat really good teams.

Fuck!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RynoatSecond wrote:I was lucky enough to have missed the Ben Lindsey year, but unfortunately, it may be pretty darn ugly later this year. McKale Center 1/2 to 2/3 full...... the dynasty is dead. Anybody have any potential coaching prospects who can get us back on track quickly?
Sean Miller.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

zonagrad wrote:
phxcat23 wrote:
Dusan Ristic bought in. He was all in for all four years. And he played well tonight given his skill set limitations.

But with Trier, I feel like you make a deal with the devil. He gives you points and has attractive qualities. But he's nothing close to a complete player. Or maybe he just needs a really good point guard to facilitate and make him better. But with PJC & Trier, that's a deadly combination. And Ayton bailed us out all season.

I feel real bad for PJC. He played hard all year. And he had his moments. I have no doubt about his commitment and his effort. Won't ever question that. But we knew all year, even last year, that hitching your ride to a point guard of his ability was not going to work. That's why we never blew out opponents this season. Every game was a grind. I tip my hat to PJC because he's a Wildcat and played with class and dignity. But a premiere program just can't have someone like him running the show and expect to consistently beat really good teams.

Fuck!
Well put. PJC always played hard no doubt. And Ristic tonight showed what a 4 year player can do. PJC just always had the odds against him and besides T.J., we haven't had a true point recently. Imagine what T.J. and Ayton could have done.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

zonagrad wrote:
phxcat23 wrote:

Fuck!
Disagree about PJC. I do doubt his committment and effort. I don't blame him for being small and not quick enough to defend. That's his skillset. But Kadeem Allen wasn't much more talented but brought heart energy and leadership to the floor. PJC hung his head all season and looked like he would rather be anywhere else.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dcZONAfan wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:exactly why is buffalo launching 3's with under 2 to go and up 19?

way to add yourselves to the douchebag list buffalo.
That's BS. They deserve this moment
Agreed. They earned the moment and owned us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think the move to more and more 3 pointers in college is going to make the pack line obsolete. The recovery to the corners takes too long.

I hope Miller figures this out.

Also I am so done with our bigs living at the arc on D
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

billk78 wrote:
Dusan Ristic bought in. He was
Disagree about PJC. I do doubt his committment and effort. I don't blame him for being small and not quick enough to defend. That's his skillset. But Kadeem Allen wasn't much more talented but brought heart energy and leadership to the floor. PJC hung his head all season and looked like he would rather be anywhere else.
The Kadeem Allen that was drafted? Wasn't much more talented than a 5'8 point guard? GTFO with these lies
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dcZONAfan wrote:
billk78 wrote:
The Kadeem Allen that was drafted? Wasn't much more talented than a 5'8 point guard? GTFO with these lies
This. Kadeem turned into one of the best defenders in the Pac 12. Really good player. Just not a pure point guard.
What Arizona needs (needed) is a point guard who could penetrate to score and dish and finish. PJC was incapable of that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
billk78 wrote:
This. Kadeem turned into one of the best defenders in the Pac 12. Really good player. Just not a pure point guard.
What Arizona needs (needed) is a point guard who could penetrate to score and dish and finish. PJC was incapable of that.
PJC isn't capable of much outside of bringing the ball downcourt without getting it stripped. He did pretty good against the press.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Despicable, pathetic, embarrassing effort from start to finish. Came out flat, stayed that way. PJC got manhandled badly. And that same ole defense we've had all year. Just humiliating. And can't really say I look forward to next year.