NCAA Tournament Game 1, vs. Buffalo (2017-2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

NCAA Tournament Game 1, vs. Buffalo (2017-2018)

Post by PieceOfMeat »

(No. 4 Seed) Arizona vs. (No. 13 Seed) Buffalo

Thursday, March 15 at 6:40 p.m. (MST)
TV: CBS (Brian Anderson, Chris Webber & Lisa Byington)
Radio: Arizona IMG Radio Network (Brian Jeffries & Ryan Hansen) (Affiliates Only)
Internet Radio: NCAA March Madness on Westwood One Sports

Read more: http://arizonawildcats.com/news/2018/3/ ... round.aspx" target="_blank

Game notes: http://arizonawildcats.com/documents/20 ... uffalo.pdf" target="_blank
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RaisingArizona

Re: NCAA Tournament Game 1, vs. Buffalo (2017-2018)

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think Buffalo is going to try to get out and run. Should make for a fun game. We’ll have to be crisp with entry passes. If we consistently feed the post successfully it’s lights out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’ll be watching from Vegas. Go Cats! Survive and advance, baby.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Go Trier go!

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well buffalo doesn't lack anything in the confidence department.

"We are going to give them a frickin dogfight the likes of which they've never seen"--Head Coach Nate Oats
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Oh, I'd be quite willing to bet Arizona's seen it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:Well buffalo doesn't lack anything in the confidence department.

"We are going to give them a frickin dogfight the likes of which they've never seen"--Head Coach Nate Oats
I like that guy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Here's some more from Oats, and their big:

“They’re talented. It’s going to be a war for sure,” Oats said. “I told our bigs, you want to be a pro? I turned to Perkins – he’s got his hands full. Ayton might be the No. 1 pick in the draft. I will say this though: You usually win in the NCAA Tournament with guards. I like our guard play against them.”

“I think it’s a pretty good matchup,” said Perkins, who stands at 6-8, 250 and can also shoot threes. “They got a lot of size on the inside and we got a really quick team. I think we can put the big guy in a lot of ball screens and see, can he guard on the outside? We’re gonna see, can they guard? Obviously they can play a little bit of offense, we know that; we’re going to see, can they play defense? I don’t think they’ve seen anything like us all year, a team who can get out and run, got some size.

“They dump the ball into the big fella a few times, he’s pretty good on the glass,” Perkins added. “He’s big inside. They have a really good guard, a scorer. It’s pretty much a two-hand punch, a guard and a big. That’s something that we can stop. I feel we can go out there and get the win.”
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Well buffalo doesn't lack anything in the confidence department.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Scheer watched a game and was nervous though.

Give Buffalo credit, but then spank them and put them to bed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:Here's some more from Oats, and their big:

“They’re talented. It’s going to be a war for sure,” Oats said. “I told our bigs, you want to be a pro? I turned to Perkins – he’s got his hands full. Ayton might be the No. 1 pick in the draft. I will say this though: You usually win in the NCAA Tournament with guards. I like our guard play against them.”

“I think it’s a pretty good matchup,” said Perkins, who stands at 6-8, 250 and can also shoot threes. “They got a lot of size on the inside and we got a really quick team. I think we can put the big guy in a lot of ball screens and see, can he guard on the outside? We’re gonna see, can they guard? Obviously they can play a little bit of offense, we know that; we’re going to see, can they play defense? I don’t think they’ve seen anything like us all year, a team who can get out and run, got some size.

“They dump the ball into the big fella a few times, he’s pretty good on the glass,” Perkins added. “He’s big inside. They have a really good guard, a scorer. It’s pretty much a two-hand punch, a guard and a big. That’s something that we can stop. I feel we can go out there and get the win.”
Good luck with all that buffalo.

See I watch a lot of Arizona basketball and I call tell them that ayton does guard on the perimeter AND we are kinda more than a power forward and a guard. It’s kinda cute to hear Perkins talk like this.

Buffalo, prepare your anus.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Scheer watched a game and was nervous though.

Give Buffalo credit, but then spank them and put them to bed.
Here's where I am on Scheer's observations about Buffalo and the scary question of Alkins guarding this Massinburg character:

First of all, great smile.

Secondly, Rawle will need to show that his defense is good enough to make up for his carelessness with the ball. If Rawle can't keep with Massinburg, and repeatedly passes the ball to Buffalo players and dribbles the ball around his back into traffic, I have to think Miller will put Akot in the game and leave the scoring to Trier, Ristic, and Ayton.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Here's where I am:

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” --Mike Tyson.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Oats guaranteed that his guys will play harder than Arizona already.

And that his guys will put ball pressure on Arizona which they have never seen.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Nick Perkins is their only guy of any worrisome size that is any good. 6-8 Jr.

The guys taller than that are not good and dont play much. Dusan and De'Andre should have their way in the paint.

Will Clark is their really good guard and is not much bigger than PJC. If PJC can play the defense he did vs Holiday and McLaughlin on him I like what UA can do vs Buffalo.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Anyone got anything on this Massinburg kid? Is he quick, to where Rawle will struggle to keep him in front?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What's the rationale for this kind of verbal gamesmanship? To scare Arizona's players?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Longhorned wrote:What's the rationale for this kind of verbal gamesmanship? To scare Arizona's players?
Great question. Oats and his players have been very forthcoming in their thoughts on their abilities and what they plan to do to Arizona.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:What's the rationale for this kind of verbal gamesmanship? To scare Arizona's players?
To fire up his guys I expect.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

My guess is he wants his players to run out of the locker room like this

pdx123

Post by pdx123 »

Two possibilities:
1) Recruitment: if you have a big mouth, here's a coach that lets you talk. If you can't keep your mouth shut, come play at Buffalo, we won't put a muzzle on your trap.
2) Press: this is more likely to get the media interested than the coach who will you give you the standard "it's going to be a difficult match-up blah blah blah." And not just the media, even the fans will be interested. Like us.

I think the second option makes more sense.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You ever get in a fight after school? You know, when the bully says "meet me under the bleachers at 3:00 and I'm gonna kick your ass..."

And he's huge, and you've witnessed him kick some other asses.

So your buddies rally around you and say "Yeah you got this, he's not that tough...he's never fought someone like you before".

It's kinda like that.

My face still hurts.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
My guess is he wants his players to run out of the locker room like this

:lol: yes!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

they play strictly man and they'll push tempo which UA is better suited for anyway. Offense should be easy just give it to Ayton will ya?

Az by 8
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This game will be close for 35 minutes
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:This game will be close for 35 minutes
Maybe even some of those long, East Tennessee State "holy shit we're going to lose this" moments.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Maybe even some of those long, East Tennessee State "holy shit we're going to lose this" moments.
yep i fully expect this.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We'll blow them out for the first 10 minutes then they will spend the next 20 minutes taking the lead then we close it out and win by 14.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Olsondogg wrote:Here's some more from Oats, and their big:

They dump the ball into the big fella a few times, he’s pretty good on the glass,” Perkins added. “He’s big inside. They have a really good guard, a scorer. It’s pretty much a two-hand punch, a guard and a big. That’s something that we can stop. I feel we can go out there and get the win.”
:lol:

If they think that is Ayton's game (I sure hope they don't think that is the case), well good luck!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I wonder how many times, Ayton and Trier are going to eat them up before they wave a flag and start playing zone?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Did you hear? Nate Silver says we're underdogs because of math.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Well, I'm going to the Wildcat Nation pregame party tomorrow. Gonna go with my wife, kid and a buddy. Maybe score tickets, probably not.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why do my clients hate me? I always seem to deal with this crap. I'm in Orlando right now and my clients want to take me out to dinner tomorrow night but not until 830pm... WTF.... The game starts here at 940pm... is that right... it's possible I could be done by game-time... but I'm going to be staring at the clock the entire time.

Damn it!!!!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:Why do my clients hate me? I always seem to deal with this crap. I'm in Orlando right now and my clients want to take me out to dinner tomorrow night but not until 830pm... WTF.... The game starts here at 940pm... is that right... it's possible I could be done by game-time... but I'm going to be staring at the clock the entire time.

Damn it!!!!!
Can you buy a fart machine and just press the button every so often tomorrow afternoon and tell your clinets it is best to postpone dinner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Restaurants are even open that late in Florida?

You would think the early bird senior discounts would be the high point of the dinner crowd.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Alieberman wrote:Why do my clients hate me? I always seem to deal with this crap. I'm in Orlando right now and my clients want to take me out to dinner tomorrow night but not until 830pm... WTF.... The game starts here at 940pm... is that right... it's possible I could be done by game-time... but I'm going to be staring at the clock the entire time.

Damn it!!!!!
Fake food poisoning or upset stomach at 9:30 and politely make a beeline for the exit?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Damn it!!!!!
You should totally have them order you all room service in a suite and eat it in front of a screen, with all of them rooting for Arizona, and then a lady you don't know cries when we lose.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:

Damn it!!!!!
You should totally have them order you all room service in a suite and eat it in front of a screen, with all of them rooting for Arizona, and then a lady you don't know cries when we lose.
Yeah... I've learned my lesson from that 1.

I've made my decision. I'm going to dinner.... I will wear my red Wildcat shirt... I will then tell them I'm going to leave at 930pm... to go back to my hotel room, to turn on the TV and to Bear The Fuck Down.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I think in about 12 hours Buffalo is going to get a reality check.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Watching the Gonzaga game now and they have the main tv camera shooting from up near the rafters. That view absolutely sucks.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cracking 1!

This is Veronica Belmont by the way.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mesmerizing
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I love hot nerds.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cracking 2!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cracking 3!

Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:Cracking 1!

This is Veronica Belmont by the way.
Very little makeup required and world class cans!!!

Amazing.....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cracking 4!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Evening session about to get under way. We're getting close.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

azgreg wrote:Cracking 4!

Nice
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Cracking 2, toking 2
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of