Game 5, vs Gonzaga, at Maui Invitiational (2018-2019)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: Game 5, vs Gonzaga, at Maui Invitiational (2018-2019)

Post by Postmaster »

Yeah
I don’t see them balancing the fouls after half time tomorrow
Not blaming refs for loss, just seemed like it wasn’t officiated consistently and the really effected flow of game.

PS
Is Miller on Xanax?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Foul disparity catching up to us...its not the fouls as much as WHEN they call 'em...I am convinced refs control the score because they can control the flow...
We are really blaming the refs here?
naw we're blaming the fans who come late after the game to post in the game thread.
Cool story bro
not quite as cool as your story though is it.

also, it's really fucking lame when someone your age tries to through out the "cool story bro" as if it's still a thing people say.

get the fuck outta here bad fan.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

84Cat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Few just throwing it in our face.

Sideline reporter: "How did you get back in the game?"
Few: "...we started switching ball screens."

Oh what it would be like to have a coach that adjusted instead of telling the players to execute better.
Going to be nice next year having a tall pg. We will switch screens too. It's hard to do when you have a 5'9" pg
Not really. Teams figure it out against the best players in the world. Even helps because teams focus on going at the mismatches. Every team went at Rozier in the playoffs because he is small but the Cs defense cratered when he went off the floor. The Warriors would switch Curry onto Lebron. Teams also do the switch out, which is basically you switch the PnR and have another, bigger player (a player not involed in the initial PnR D) pick up the roller and the smaller dude pick up a perimeter player. You can double and rotate, which we do all the time already effectively. It is just so dumb to be so stubborn.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Yeah Duke is going to romp the Zags. They’re just not that great. Maybe it’s because they’re missing Tillie but we had them on the ropes before we started chucking, fouling out and running out of gas. Illinois gave them a fight too so it’s not a fluke.

Loved the heart and effort by these scrappy Cats. There’s going to be a lot of feast and famine games for us this year so let’s enjoy the ride.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Foul disparity catching up to us...its not the fouls as much as WHEN they call 'em...I am convinced refs control the score because they can control the flow...
We are really blaming the refs here?
naw we're blaming the fans who come late after the game to post in the game thread.
Cool story bro
not quite as cool as your story though is it.

also, it's really fucking lame when someone your age tries to through out the "cool story bro" as if it's still a thing people say.

Ok keyboard warrior
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Ok keyboard warrior
Ok hallway monitor
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Also - in hindsight - not sure how you balance the Doutrive/Smith equation during their run that killed us.

We certainly needed Smiths defense and rebounding during that run.
We certainly could’ve used Doutrives ability to manufacture some buckets while Coleman was gassed, but shouldn’t we count on the Brandons for that if they’re both out there?

Maybe we could’ve swapped him out with Akot who was useless, but I was hoping to see Akot stick to and try to disrupt Hachimura, or grab some rebounds, or facilitate the offense, did none of the above when we needed it and that is a bummer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The things that gave Arizona the lead can easily be duplicated and no other team on the schedule will be as bad of a matchup.

The things that blew the lead can be corrected and easily when this team develops more chemistry ny playing together more. Huge plus going forward
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Machina is probably one of the worst "fans" I've ever seen for any team ever, including ASU.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Machina is probably one of the worst "fans" I've ever seen for any team ever, including ASU.
Sure thing Mr 0-3
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:Machina is probably one of the worst "fans" I've ever seen for any team ever, including ASU.
I certainly don't want to defend Machina, but that's pretty rich coming from you.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:
I certainly don't want to defend Machina, but that's pretty rich coming from you.
In what way? I've been nothing but a die hard fan for 16 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:Also - in hindsight - not sure how you balance the Doutrive/Smith equation during their run that killed us.

We certainly needed Smiths defense and rebounding during that run.
We certainly could’ve used Doutrives ability to manufacture some buckets while Coleman was gassed, but shouldn’t we count on the Brandons for that if they’re both out there?

Maybe we could’ve swapped him out with Akot who was useless, but I was hoping to see Akot stick to and try to disrupt Hachimura, or grab some rebounds, or facilitate the offense, did none of the above when we needed it and that is a bummer.
Did Dylan Smith do anything on defense yesterday? Were his 2 rebounds that damn useful to us?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's horrible.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:In what way? I've been nothing but a die hard fan for 16 years.
Yippie ki yay!

and obviously you are an UA fan, you are here.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I will say this about the game, I gave us no chance of winning, as did the entire fucking sports betting world, but this team showed they can hang with the number #3 team in the nation for about 3/4 of the game...hell we led for a decent portion...what that tells me is the ability is there, the drive is there and the rest if fixable...I have no illusions we will get to a FF this year, but this team DID break my sadness that we would not be ranked or compete all year...

There is some fight in Az...hopefully a little tweaking and learning and we might even win the Pac 12 (which I had no hope of doing before last nights game)
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Soon to be #1 team. And we led for much more of the game than duke, and defended better and took them out of their plan for longer.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nine more hours to tip.