2021 Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2021 Season

Post by azcat49 »

What was the attendance tonight?

Since Jedd Fisch has been hired we have had several teams on a roll. The Tennis coach said he has revitalized the whole department and the spring sports are a pretty good testament to that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ekat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:49 pm Who the hell do you give the MVP to? I mean, Donta’ is always awesome, but lots of dudes stepped up!
Danta...because I just love watching him play.

But seriously, either Danta or Berry but I think it actually should go to Johnson and his staff. They pulled the right triggers and more importantly they didn't panic after game 2. The team last night played loose and aggressive. Gotta give them full credit.
ekat

Post by ekat »

The university president better be putting together a raise and an extension for Johnson this morning. 2 CES in 5 years, a team that is so fun to watch, and so well-coached, he absolutely deserves it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 am The university president better be putting together a raise and an extension for Johnson this morning. 2 CES in 5 years, a team that is so fun to watch, and so well-coached, he absolutely deserves it.
Hell, even on the Ole Miss boards where they want to can Bianco immediately they are saying go after the Arizona coach.

We give the SEC a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but when they want something badly for their programs money is no problem.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ekat

Post by ekat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:22 am
ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 am The university president better be putting together a raise and an extension for Johnson this morning. 2 CES in 5 years, a team that is so fun to watch, and so well-coached, he absolutely deserves it.
Hell, even on the Ole Miss boards where they want to can Bianco immediately they are saying go after the Arizona coach.

We give the SEC a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but when they want something badly for their programs money is no problem.
There were scummies saying they should hire Johnson before they hired Bloomquist. Someone is going to throw $$$$$$$$$ at him.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

They don't check scores...just assume the SEC won.

:roll:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Johnson on joining former UA coaches Jerry Kindall and Andy Lopez with multiple CWS appearances: “I can’t even begin to express it because of the respect that I have for both of those men. And completely different styles of coaches, but the best. They’re the standard. They’re why I take this job, Jerry Stitt, throw him in there as well. Jim Wing, throw him in there as well. Sometimes I’ll pinch myself that I’m the head coach at the University of Arizona. And honestly, all I want to do is make everybody that cares about this program, this university, from this town, proud. And it doesn’t mean going to Omaha, but to have a second crack at being in Omaha is very meaningful to me. The root of that is I just hold this program and this place in such high regard.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... interviews

Great words from a great coach. Today’s landscape is not like JK faced do 2 in 5 is a great accomplishment.

I hope we reward him like we did Adia and the tennis coach as JJ has earned it. There are a lot of us that live Az baseball and we don’t want to see it take a step back snd it never will under JJ
ekat

Post by ekat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 am Johnson on joining former UA coaches Jerry Kindall and Andy Lopez with multiple CWS appearances: “I can’t even begin to express it because of the respect that I have for both of those men. And completely different styles of coaches, but the best. They’re the standard. They’re why I take this job, Jerry Stitt, throw him in there as well. Jim Wing, throw him in there as well. Sometimes I’ll pinch myself that I’m the head coach at the University of Arizona. And honestly, all I want to do is make everybody that cares about this program, this university, from this town, proud. And it doesn’t mean going to Omaha, but to have a second crack at being in Omaha is very meaningful to me. The root of that is I just hold this program and this place in such high regard.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... interviews

Great words from a great coach. Today’s landscape is not like JK faced do 2 in 5 is a great accomplishment.

I hope we reward him like we did Adia and the tennis coach as JJ has earned it. There are a lot of us that live Az baseball and we don’t want to see it take a step back snd it never will under JJ
Right after the Gatorade bath, the TV guy said, “this is your program now”. JJ’s response: “No, this is our program, this is the University of Arizona’s program.”

Lock him up now.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Which Ole Miss message board has the most detailed postings. I want to track Tim Elko’s surgery and rehab.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

remember 2012 that guy outfielder from lsu that espn called superman?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:04 am

Which Ole Miss message board has the most detailed postings. I want to track Tim Elko’s surgery and rehab.
www.arizonafiguredoutelkoskryptonite.com

And if you click the link you will get an error, just like his SR performance.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

JJ’s first CWS validated his coaching style as he used mostly Lopez players but this one shows his recruiting chops as they are all his guys. We have a really good one here men and women
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

What's the status of our suspended relievers?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Haven't heard yet. I'm hoping the fact they only suspended them for the Super Regional suggests they may allow them to play in the CWS.

If it was really egregious why wouldn't they have suspended them for the remainder of the season? Unless it was pending some type of student council hearing.
ekat

Post by ekat »

So, I just wanted to throw out another compliment for the pitchers and the staff for this last weekend. Going into Supers, Ole Miss was up there in the top 10 in most batting categories, much like us. They’re still number 2 behind us in total hits. What they did on Saturday was far more typical than what they did Friday and Sunday. I don’t think enough can be said about how our pitchers held up for those games.

Here’s hoping they can take all that with them to Omaha!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So I guess Keith Law’s obsession with JJ’s pitching choices and his efforts to stop kids from playing for Arizona failed spectacularly, huh?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

I’m just looking forward to hearing about how great Vandy’s starters are for the next week until our offense unloads. They only managed 6 runs in 2 games against ECU. Just need to grind ABs and have a good approach. Nice to be back in Omaha!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am So, I just wanted to throw out another compliment for the pitchers and the staff for this last weekend. Going into Supers, Ole Miss was up there in the top 10 in most batting categories, much like us. They’re still number 2 behind us in total hits. What they did on Saturday was far more typical than what they did Friday and Sunday. I don’t think enough can be said about how our pitchers held up for those games.

And I read JJ had a whole different plan going into the game - he was going to use a lot more relievers, Netz was only going to face 5 batters, etc...

He saw how the game was playing out and changed his mind and allowed TJ, who was rolling, to continue when we took a bigger lead.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Our starting pitching still worries me. We seem to get roughed up early. Once they settle in they are solid and the pen has been nails all year long.

Just hate the thought off falling 3 or 4 runs early behind a team like Vanderbilt or Stanford with their pitching
ekat

Post by ekat »

phxcat23 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:25 am I’m just looking forward to hearing about how great Vandy’s starters are for the next week until our offense unloads. They only managed 6 runs in 2 games against ECU. Just need to grind ABs and have a good approach. Nice to be back in Omaha!
Leiter and Rocker are pretty damn good. But they tend to lean on their fastballs (from what I’ve seen) (Rocker more so) and that’s foolish with JJ’s lineup. Nikhazy was effective precisely because he’s not a fastball pitcher. It’s going to be interesting for sure. Hopefully they put someone decent behind the plate so the strike zone is fair.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Our pitching still has me nervous going forward too. But they did a heck of a job this weekend.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

phxcat23 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:25 am I’m just looking forward to hearing about how great Vandy’s starters are for the next week until our offense unloads. They only managed 6 runs in 2 games against ECU. Just need to grind ABs and have a good approach. Nice to be back in Omaha!
You thought the sloberfest around ACL-ko and the Nichazy was bad wait until we hear about Nolan Rocker and Mariano Leiter over the next several days.

I will be surprised if the there is no Cooperstown plaque being developed right now.
ekat

Post by ekat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:36 am
ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am So, I just wanted to throw out another compliment for the pitchers and the staff for this last weekend. Going into Supers, Ole Miss was up there in the top 10 in most batting categories, much like us. They’re still number 2 behind us in total hits. What they did on Saturday was far more typical than what they did Friday and Sunday. I don’t think enough can be said about how our pitchers held up for those games.

And I read JJ had a whole different plan going into the game - he was going to use a lot more relievers, Netz was only going to face 5 batters, etc...

He saw how the game was playing out and changed his mind and allowed TJ, who was rolling, to continue when we took a bigger lead.
He talked about that last night. Jeffries talked about it during the game because that was the plan Jeffries knew before the first pitch. So, what we learned last night was a ton about JJ’s adaptability during a game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think it’s time to remodel the grandstands at HiCo. It seems very outdated.

Would love to see a beer garden and lounging facility down the third and first base line. Not a big fan of the bleachers as they are right now
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:50 am I think it’s time to remodel the grandstands at HiCo. It seems very outdated.

Would love to see a beer garden and lounging facility down the third and first base line. Not a big fan of the bleachers as they are right now
They should include some monster seats out in the outfield too.

Yeah, Hi Corbett sure could use some upgrades. Got to admit those SEC parks like Arkansas look like they have a lot going on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Definitely would help to get rid of the high walls and not have to rely on the eyes of the umps if a ball is over the red line. Put some seats out there would be cool.

The city still owns it so I wonder how a remodel would work. I would think if the cats paid for it the city would certainly sign off on it but then do we want to remodel something that isn’t yours?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Question for you locals. It feels like it's still tough to draw a large student contingent to games due to its proximity to campus. From the limited TV shots looks more like a Tucson gathering, which is fine, but we all know what a student body atmosphere can add.

Will the University ever consider building a new ballpark on campus in the near future? If we have continued program success I'm wondering if that will be considered.

And I mean a more of a modern type ballpark as I know what the limitations were with Sancet.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

It’s too damned bad they didn’t build Kino downtown like they should have. It certainly isn’t state of the art now by any means, but it’s closer to what is needed except for the location. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to go behind the public spaces at both ballparks (not including newer UofA team areas), you know the vast difference. If nothing else, it was at least situated in the proper direction. Now, make no mistake… I’m in no way recommending Arizona move out there. (Dealing with Pima County wouldn’t be all that fun either). Mostly lamenting the lack of forethought when that white elephant was built.

I totally agree with beer garden/picnic areas and outfield seats being installed. I’d also find a way to get rid of some of the upper outfield seats in return for some sort of cantilever shade system and suites (no idea if this is possible…I’m no architect). Anyway, OM fans weren’t completely wrong in their assessment.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The issue with an on campus stadium has to do with being able to host regionals. Dressing rooms for multiple teams and warm up fields. This is what makes these minor league fields do attractive for college programs that don’t have SEC football money. Not sure where we have room on campus for such a place

Building the tram line from campus to Hi Corbett would be a great move but with nothing else there why do it. If they had chosen Randolph to be the university course for golf it might have worked but we all know The UofA President got involved
ekat

Post by ekat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm Question for you locals. It feels like it's still tough to draw a large student contingent to games due to its proximity to campus. From the limited TV shots looks more like a Tucson gathering, which is fine, but we all know what a student body atmosphere can add.

Will the University ever consider building a new ballpark on campus in the near future? If we have continued program success I'm wondering if that will be considered.

And I mean a more of a modern type ballpark as I know what the limitations were with Sancet.
During the regular season in a non-COVID year, the students show up, because Beer. U of A does shuttles and stuff for them. The games I’ve been to have had good (for Tucson) student sections. The problem with now, is the students all went home a month ago.

I don’t think there’s any room on campus to put a ballpark any more.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 pm It’s too damned bad they didn’t build Kino downtown like they should have. It certainly isn’t state of the art now by any means, but it’s closer to what is needed except for the location. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to go behind the public spaces at both ballparks (not including newer UofA team areas), you know the vast difference. If nothing else, it was at least situated in the proper direction. Now, make no mistake… I’m in no way recommending Arizona move out there. (Dealing with Pima County wouldn’t be all that fun either). Mostly lamenting the lack of forethought when that white elephant was built.

I totally agree with beer garden/picnic areas and outfield seats being installed. I’d also find a way to get rid of some of the upper outfield seats in return for some sort of cantilever shade system and suites (no idea if this is possible…I’m no architect). Anyway, OM fans weren’t completely wrong in their assessment.
It’s still a travesty that they screwed that up on Kino. (Or, picked that location to appease a politician).

I have spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to add shade to Hi Corbett, going back to my days watching the Indians there. I got nothing. But, I’m no architect either. But shade would help tremendously.

OM fans weren’t wrong on their assessment of the park, but I think they were a little wrong in their assessment of our fans. No, there wasn’t great attendance yesterday, but record-breaking heat, Sunday night, school’s out all factored in. Their fans came here to go to the game. The heat wasn’t a factor to them, but those of us who live here, it does play a factor in decisions.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:38 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm Question for you locals. It feels like it's still tough to draw a large student contingent to games due to its proximity to campus. From the limited TV shots looks more like a Tucson gathering, which is fine, but we all know what a student body atmosphere can add.

During the regular season in a non-COVID year, the students show up, because Beer. U of A does shuttles and stuff for them. The games I’ve been to have had good (for Tucson) student sections. The problem with now, is the students all went home a month ago.

Just need to tear down Old Main and build a new stadium in the middle of campus. Leave the water fountain on the west side in place and build the beer garden around it on the third base sidelines. Put the Gronk swimming pool in the outfield.

;)
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well once they tore down the old baseball stadium and replaced it with the student athlete academic center and the indoor practice field, there's literally nowhere left immediately on or near campus to build a stadium. Unless they buy out a square block or two of houses in the neighborhood of campus and bulldoze them to make a stadium.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No money either. We’re paying multiple buyouts and have pissed off some big name boosters. So unless Robbins can stop acting like an asshat for a few months and repair some relationships, an on-campus baseball stadium ain’t happening.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm
Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 pm It’s too damned bad they didn’t build Kino downtown like they should have. It certainly isn’t state of the art now by any means, but it’s closer to what is needed except for the location. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to go behind the public spaces at both ballparks (not including newer UofA team areas), you know the vast difference. If nothing else, it was at least situated in the proper direction. Now, make no mistake… I’m in no way recommending Arizona move out there. (Dealing with Pima County wouldn’t be all that fun either). Mostly lamenting the lack of forethought when that white elephant was built.

It’s still a travesty that they screwed that up on Kino. (Or, picked that location to appease a politician).

I have spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to add shade to Hi Corbett, going back to my days watching the Indians there. I got nothing. But, I’m no architect either. But shade would help tremendously.

OM fans weren’t wrong on their assessment of the park, but I think they were a little wrong in their assessment of our fans. No, there wasn’t great attendance yesterday, but record-breaking heat, Sunday night, school’s out all factored in. Their fans came here to go to the game. The heat wasn’t a factor to them, but those of us who live here, it does play a factor in decisions.
And like one of our fans told them on Twitter, “this isn’t Mississippi. We’ve got other things to do.” Lol.

I thought our fans did pretty well. What the HYDR people don’t understand is, those weren’t the same 6,000?(average-ish) fans there all three games. Sure, there was a core group that went to all three, but most people picked one or two games to attend. There were still tons of fans last night who were flummoxed about the lack of beer sales. Given the heat and the lack of beer sales (make no mistake…that was a decision factor for some fans on the margins), I don’t blame anyone, especially with little kids, for choosing the couch.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Down go the Baptists.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm

And like one of our fans told them on Twitter, “this isn’t Mississippi. We’ve got other things to do.” Lol.

I thought our fans did pretty well. What the HYDR people don’t understand is, those weren’t the same 6,000?(average-ish) fans there all three games. Sure, there was a core group that went to all three, but most people picked one or two games to attend. There were still tons of fans last night who were flummoxed about the lack of beer sales. Given the heat and the lack of beer sales (make no mistake…that was a decision factor for some fans on the margins), I don’t blame anyone, especially with little kids, for choosing the couch.
The only game I considered was Saturday, solely because of the later start. There is no way in hell I was sitting in 109 degree heat in metal bleachers last night. I have so much admiration for those who did. I’m sure that, plus beer, factored in to a lot of people’s decisions.

I’m flummoxed that they couldn’t get it together enough to serve beer. That was stupid.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:01 pm

No money either. We’re paying multiple buyouts and have pissed off some big name boosters. So unless Robbins can stop acting like an asshat for a few months and repair some relationships, an on-campus baseball stadium ain’t happening.
I’m holding on to the glimmer of hope that his contract is not renewed and his reign of terror ends next summer.

Maybe Francona will give some more money after this run like he did after the 2016 run. Maybe Bobby Dalbec will end up with a fat contract and will throw some crumbs this way.

I have an active imagination.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

F those Ole Miss fans. They go back to Oxford and the choices are fishing, sex with you cousin, sit in the swamps and drink beer or go to an Ole Miss game and the choice is much easier.

HiCo is beautiful at sunset but that is about 7:30 so you had to sit on those aluminum bleachers facing the sun for almost two hours.

They can brag all they want about their fandom while watching our boys beat Vanderbilt
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol of course the Ole Miss fans were whining about our attendance and stadium. That's all SEC fans care about since almost all of their schools are in bumfuck towns like Oxford/Starkville or in mediocre places like Gainesville or Columbia. Tucson isn't NYC but it has a hell of a lot more to do and has a lot more of a culture than most SEC places. And yeah, sorry, not everyone wants to sit on metal bleachers in the sun when its 111 outside.

Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Unless the NCAA decides to stop alcohol sales again, I’m guessing the beer thing will be resolved by the next time the Cats play in the post-season.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It was two politicians, IIRC. Steve Leal and Raul Grijalva.

They insisted it was on the south side for “jobs.” Now it’s nothing. Rio Nuevo was the obvious place.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well they literally should build another park downtown and have the cats as tenents while trying to attract either a minor league club or try and get spring training back.

The revitalization of the down town has been a huge success and a stadium and new convention center would be another big boost
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

There is no place on campus where they can build a stadium. Even if they did, the only way a stadium would be built is if the entire amount was donated.
Finally, spring training in Tucson won't happen again. The travel is too far for the teams to go to Phoenix and the surrounding areas.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I get there is no room on campus so let me re-state the question...is there a possibility a new state-of-the-art ballpark is on the horizon wherever the location?

Because it does feel HiCo is outdated.

Or is it more likely the existing facility (metal bleachers in Tucson, really?) will get a facelift?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It would probably be cheaper and easier to just try to get some upgrades to Hi Corbett. Even just making some more permanent seating than bleachers and adding some kind of shade covers would be better.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Redo HiCo, get a rail system to the stadium and push the beer!

Yes the fans will come. They most certainly will come
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Curious where we all think the AZ job is in the landscape of college baseball.

Fan support is the best in the west and HiCo is very good for the team and visitors but poor for the fans

History is very good and the commitment from the department is great. Salary wise with COL in Tucson makes it a very competitive deal for out west but far behind the SEC schools. The 11.7 scholarship limits have evened things out but we still seem to get some great prospects.

Overall I would think JJ has a top 20 job and it might be top 10
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Kino Sports Complex should have been built in Marana. The writing was already on the wall concerning Tucson Spring Training. Maybe, if two teams were located in far NW Tucson/Marana, Tucson would have had a chance. The drive time between Tempe (Angels) and Surprise (Royals and Rangers) is an hour in decent traffic. Drive from Tempe to Marana is 75 minutes. Driving all the way to Kino adds 30 minutes to the drive.

Tucson has no need for a new stadium. The Kino Complex hosts Major League Soccer "spring training", and the Hi-C works well for the Cats. I'd love to see the city and the school spend some money on some updates and upgrades. Now would be the time to borrow, with low interest rates, but I don't think the AD has the money right now. Maybe the city and the school can work out some sort of deal? Probably wishful thinking.