2021 Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2021 Season

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean we're tied for 7th all time in CWS appearances and tied for 4th all time in number of conference titles. The PAC 12 being so poor and poorly run lately hurts us but with considering our fanbase and facilities as well as Tucson and the school itself, Arizona is easily a top 15 job in college baseball. If we win another title or get the PAC to turn things around a bit then we could be a top 10 job.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ekat

Post by ekat »

wyo-cat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:57 pm
ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm
Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 pm It’s too damned bad they didn’t build Kino downtown like they should have. It certainly isn’t state of the art now by any means, but it’s closer to what is needed except for the location. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to go behind the public spaces at both ballparks (not including newer UofA team areas), you know the vast difference. If nothing else, it was at least situated in the proper direction. Now, make no mistake… I’m in no way recommending Arizona move out there. (Dealing with Pima County wouldn’t be all that fun either). Mostly lamenting the lack of forethought when that white elephant was built.

I totally agree with beer garden/picnic areas and outfield seats being installed. I’d also find a way to get rid of some of the upper outfield seats in return for some sort of cantilever shade system and suites (no idea if this is possible…I’m no architect). Anyway, OM fans weren’t completely wrong in their assessment.
It’s still a travesty that they screwed that up on Kino. (Or, picked that location to appease a politician).

I have spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to add shade to Hi Corbett, going back to my days watching the Indians there. I got nothing. But, I’m no architect either. But shade would help tremendously.

OM fans weren’t wrong on their assessment of the park, but I think they were a little wrong in their assessment of our fans. No, there wasn’t great attendance yesterday, but record-breaking heat, Sunday night, school’s out all factored in. Their fans came here to go to the game. The heat wasn’t a factor to them, but those of us who live here, it does play a factor in decisions.
It was two politicians, IIRC. Steve Leal and Raul Grijalva.

They insisted it was on the south side for “jobs.” Now it’s nothing. Rio Nuevo was the obvious place.
I forgot about Leal. I knew Grijalva had a big (some would say conflict of) interest in that land that was chosen, but for some reason I removed Leal from my memory bank.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm I have spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to add shade to Hi Corbett, going back to my days watching the Indians there. I got nothing. But, I’m no architect either. But shade would help tremendously.

OM fans weren’t wrong on their assessment of the park, but I think they were a little wrong in their assessment of our fans. No, there wasn’t great attendance yesterday, but record-breaking heat, Sunday night, school’s out all factored in. Their fans came here to go to the game. The heat wasn’t a factor to them, but those of us who live here, it does play a factor in decisions.
Ole Miss fans are idiots. When an SEC team loses, its fan base always scrambles to change the narrative to talk about respective facilities, fan support, or conference success. From most of them, don't hold your breath for: "You beat us fair and square; you're better than us this season...congratulations and good luck going forward."

Hi Corbett is a fine facility for any college baseball program. Some parts of it may feel outdated, but some features (like the shaded breezeways under the grandstands) are outstanding. I sat next to a USC fan for that series when we moved there in 2012, and he just went on and on about how great it is. That said, there's always room for improvement. You might as well permanently cover or remove at least 1,000 seats at the far ends of the grandstands, and the area behind the third base line fence is wasted, although I've seen them put a big hospitality tent there occasionally for one reason or another. The back side of the outfield walls are not impressive, although nobody sees that. Not sure you can justify a berm or other outfield seating. It would also be nice to re-asphalt the parking lot.

As far as shade, my only reasonable and cost-effective suggestion would be to put up some additional big metal poles behind the grandstands at strategic points. From that, you could wire the kind of huge "sail" canopies (red and blue if they like) that you see providing shade at playgrounds. With the sun protection treatment they put on them these days, they last at least 10-20 years with no problem. They've done a nice job removing obstructed views with the backstop netting, and they might have to install or reinforce the existing poles to do it, but it would be worth it. Once you've got guaranteed shaded seats, the sales of reserved premium seats and season tickets would increase, and you could schedule more day games, which should be a home field advantage with our late season climate.
ekat

Post by ekat »

So, acknowledging COVID and empty stadiums this year, one of the bigger problems I saw this year was scheduling. In the very beginning of baseball season, there were a few days with baseball, women’s basketball post-season, and softball all playing at the same time. Hardcore fans of a sport are going to their sport, but casual, general fans of the U of A, harder to choose. It’s made somewhat easier by softball tickets being limited, but still, it’s a problem. All the way up into May, I was watching softball on a stream and listening to Brian Jeffries (or his sometime substitute) do baseball on the radio, or whichever might have been on TV.

I don’t have an answer for this since I don’t really understand how game times are chosen, but surely there’s a way to have a few games that don’t compete with and overshadow each other. When all eyes are on something, it’s clear how Tucson steps up to support it. But unless you’re one of us diehards, you wouldn’t know about baseball until the last couple weeks, because softball has center stage. I love softball too. It’s just a tough choice.
ekat

Post by ekat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:39 pm
ekat wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm I have spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to add shade to Hi Corbett, going back to my days watching the Indians there. I got nothing. But, I’m no architect either. But shade would help tremendously.

Ole Miss fans are idiots. When an SEC team loses, its fan base always scrambles to change the narrative to talk about respective facilities, fan support, or conference success. From most of them, don't hold your breath for: "You beat us fair and square; you're better than us this season...congratulations and good luck going forward."

Hi Corbett is a fine facility for any college baseball program. Some parts of it may feel outdated, but some features (like the shaded breezeways under the grandstands) are outstanding. I sat next to a USC fan for that series when we moved there in 2012, and he just went on and on about how great it is. That said, there's always room for improvement. You might as well permanently cover or remove at least 1,000 seats at the far ends of the grandstands, and the area behind the third base line fence is wasted, although I've seen them put a big hospitality tent there occasionally for one reason or another. The back side of the outfield walls are not impressive, although nobody sees that. Not sure you can justify a berm or other outfield seating. It would also be nice to re-asphalt the parking lot.

As far as shade, my only reasonable and cost-effective suggestion would be to put up some additional big metal poles behind the grandstands at strategic points. From that, you could wire the kind of huge "sail" canopies (red and blue if they like) that you see providing shade at playgrounds. With the sun protection treatment they put on them these days, they last at least 10-20 years with no problem. They've done a nice job removing obstructed views with the backstop netting, and they might have to install or reinforce the existing poles to do it, but it would be worth it. Once you've got guaranteed shaded seats, the sales of reserved premium seats and season tickets would increase, and you could schedule more day games, which should be a home field advantage with our late season climate.
Hi C is what it is. A stadium built 94 (ninety four) (almost 100) years ago. Personally I love it, but agree it needs a facelift. You and others have had some great ideas in this thread. If we had a functional AD, I would say we should forward them. Alas, we do not.

What I take issue with was the handful of fans mocking JJ for thanking the “best fans in America” and saying he had no idea what good fans were, and we don’t deserve him or to win. JJ knows what’s up in Tucson. He knows you can’t go into a bank, restaurant, gas station, etc without seeing the red and blue. He knows we’re there when they need us, and that was a good crowd, considering the ass kicking from the day before, the weather, etc. They were loud, engaged and having a ball.

Quantity never equals quality. And Jay Johnson knows quality. These are the same fans that want to run their coach out because he lost to us despite having Elko play on one leg, losing their best pitcher, and a few other injuries they had. So, screw them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:20 pm Curious where we all think the AZ job is in the landscape of college baseball.

Fan support is the best in the west and HiCo is very good for the team and visitors but poor for the fans

History is very good and the commitment from the department is great. Salary wise with COL in Tucson makes it a very competitive deal for out west but far behind the SEC schools. The 11.7 scholarship limits have evened things out but we still seem to get some great prospects.

Overall I would think JJ has a top 20 job and it might be top 10
#1 in our hearts.

Probably just outside the top ten in most others’ rankings.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Miss State putting a beating on ND.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So potentially 3 Sec teams, 2 ACC, 2 PAC and 1 Big 12. PAC gets 33% in Omaha while the SEC gets the same but had all of its seeds get there via a home field advantage.

ACC gets two in on the road which is impressive but their history says they won’t get a crown out of it.

The left side of the bracket seems stacked with Furd, Vandy, Us and #1 seed beater NC ST.

Other than two top 5 pick pitchers, I do g know a lot about the commodores except they won it all in 2019 and always seem to have top shelf arms
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm So potentially 3 Sec teams, 2 ACC, 2 PAC and 1 Big 12. PAC gets 33% in Omaha while the SEC gets the same but had all of its seeds get there via a home field advantage.

ACC gets two in on the road which is impressive but their history says they won’t get a crown out of it.

The left side of the bracket seems stacked with Furd, Vandy, Us and #1 seed beater NC ST.

Other than two top 5 pick pitchers, I do g know a lot about the commodores except they won it all in 2019 and always seem to have top shelf arms
Their pitchers are very good but as I mentioned earlier got the benefit of an extremely friendly strike zone against ECU. They only scored 6 combined runs against ECU but ECU does have two high quality starters themselves.

The most impressive player I thought while watching their Super Regional was their catcher.

I pray to god their whistle guy doesn't travel to Omaha.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ekat

Post by ekat »

TV dude in this Notre Dame game just said Arizona had “maybe the scariest offense in the country.” I like that.
TheCatInTheHat

Re: 2021

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Regarding JJ, considering that he's checked every box this season to date, as well as the situation with Adia and the three new major coaches, we need to show an appropriate level of appreciation, and not just say, "well, sorry...but your big success was last and we're out of money...we hope you understand." All things considered, he's done the best of anyone this school year.

As far as fan support, in any non-COVID-restricted year, we lead everybody west of Texas in attendance. In the Sah-outh, they've plowed their excess football money into baseball stadia and salaries. So, they have three sports seasons: Football, Spring Football, and Baseball. In all cases, you tailgate for hours, inhale unhealthy amounts of barbecued chicken and pork, and drink yourself blind. Then, you squeeze into your bleacher seat next to the oversized sweaty people on either side of you and scream epithets (for the "entertainment" of the captive audience surrounding you), ring your cowbell, and drink some more. God, what fun. So stadium size, average attendance, and won-lost record is an on-going dick measuring contest for their fans, and no wonder they want to immediately lynch any coach who doesn't give them their bragging rights. Meanwhile, back in the West, people generally show up big for a big winner, otherwise they show up at a reasonable level and/or they can easily find something more pleasant or productive to do than cow-tipping or whatever else goes on in a Mississippi. Some use "laid-back" as a pejorative, but in this case, it basically means "having other options."

After our spring blitz, I'm done with "Ole Miss." I realize their fall-back position is to declare victory if any SEC team beats us, but that's as weak as it gets. On to Vanderbilt.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I looked at their schedule and they didn’t play one OOC hand against a P5 team other than a set against sh Okie St where they won the series 2-1.

They lost the series 2-1 to Ole Miss and they only had a few games where they had double digit in runs.

Like most SEC schools and how they work the RPI they Missed series with both Arkansas and Tennessee and they beat up on the dregs of the SEC mostly other than Florida (who was two and out in their regional) and Ole Miss.

I am liking our chances right now and can see an all PAC winners bracket game
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's from Virginia but has a great southern Arizona name.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Some other conference does stuff at the Kino complex also (baseball)
The area down 3rd base is used for group function, such as Raytheon family day type stuff.
During playoffs a beer thing would be swell.
They were selling beer at HI Corbett before the campus venues, ridiculous they couldn’t get the insurance rider.

Are the high outfield walls because of the zoo? To mitigate noise?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the two brackets are set. Ours is the 4,5, 9 and one unseeded.The other is 2,3,7 and an unseeded.

On the surface it seems our is more difficult but by seeding it seems the other side is tougher
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:30 pm He's from Virginia but has a great southern Arizona name.
We’ve been calling him “Big House”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:30 pm He's from Virginia but has a great southern Arizona name.
We’ve been calling him “Big House”
Not “Ostrich Farm”?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... n=trending
Apologies if we sound like a broken record because we have admittedly written about this offense ad nauseam. But Arizona's lineup has simply been sensational all season long. The Wildcats — now dubbed the WildBats — enter Omaha with the top scoring offense in the field, crossing home plate 8.6 times per game. They also have the highest batting average (.329), on-base percentage (.428) and slugging percentage (.513) of any of the eight remaining teams. Arizona advances to Omaha after a 16-3 blowout of Ole Miss in the super regionals and are making its 18th appearance in the CWS. This should set up a fantastic opening night from Omaha as the Wildcats' offense draws the pitching of Vanderbilt on June 19.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

LSU focusing on Ole Miss's coach and ECU's coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Williams is almost hitting .500 in the post season and Bossier is very hot as well. It will be interesting to see how we handle this top shelf pitching we will see in Omaha.

Wildbats I guess is OK. Better than the Omahogs (who missed) and Omadawgs (Miss St). At least we didn’t do the Omacats thing
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:50 am Image

I want...where can I get them?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don't know about those two but the bookstore has these.

https://shop.uabookstore.arizona.edu/ma ... l+Softball

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 am Williams is almost hitting .500 in the post season and Bossier is very hot as well. It will be interesting to see how we handle this top shelf pitching we will see in Omaha.

Wildbats I guess is OK. Better than the Omahogs (who missed) and Omadawgs (Miss St). At least we didn’t do the Omacats thing
Rocker is a stud and has CWS experience so he will be as tough if not tougher than Nichazy. I like that Berry is facing him from the left side.

I was thinking about the elite pitchers we have faced so far this year. I recall we worked that Oregon State pitcher deep into the game and finally came through in the late innings. That's the approach we need to take.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We really worked the counts against Nichazy as he had over 50 pitches after two innings. Problem was we were down 7-0 I think.

It seems our #1 and #2 get lit up early most recently. We can’t afford that going against Rocker and maybe Furd in game #2.

I don’t think Vandy hits well so I am hoping our guys can be a bit more aggressive with the zone
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:19 am
Irish27 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:50 am Image

I want...where can I get them?
https://www.fanatics.com/college/arizon ... m-SIDE_NAV
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:55 am
I hate them already.

So I guess are only chance against this "all-world" line-up is to pray their pitchers are tired and their team gets injured.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I love the way Williams has progressed from a light-hitting defensive guy, to a player that hit well over .300 this year with some pop in his bat! He's hitting .80 points better than his freshman year. Kudos to JJ and the staff developing him, and kudos for Williams for putting in the work. You never know how things will work out, but I can see someone drafting Williams in rounds 10-20 and giving him a real chance at making the show.

As for Vandy, we need a strong pitching outing and have Sileth go at least 5. Too many games to play to have to go deep into the pen early. Agreed we need to work the count and try and get into the Vandy bullpen. That was the game plan in game 2 against Ole Miss, and things just went to hell when we went down 7-1 early. Need to avoid this on Friday.
prh

Post by prh »

All I've heard all season is how Vandy's 2 pitchers are gonna be drafted 1-2, I'm so sick of them. They should have won the SEC with that Fri/Sat pair
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What is with all the nicknames for these guys. What a bunch of cocky cocksuckers. I hope our guys put double digits on these idiots. Going to be tough as great pitching usually is out ahead but if we work those counts maybe we get some timely hits. I also hope Susac throws that guy out first time he tries to go
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

This "Andrew" guy is a douche. I had not problem with Vanderbilt until I read that article, now I want them to lose all their games in embarrassing fashion.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Postseason numbers are insane:

.363 team batting avg
.610 slugging
.429 OBP
8.2 runs per game
29 extra base hits
4 guys hitting over .400

Those are just amazing numbers. Keep that up and we will add another banner to the Hi-C
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ekat

Post by ekat »

So, this Andrew dude says the way to get to Rocker is to be patient and foul off a bunch of pitches. Interestingly, that’s been the Cats’ approach to most pitchers all year.

I’d rather have Donta’ leading off than their all-world whatever he called their lead off batter. Donta’s just special.

That was the most annoying q&a ever.
ekat

Post by ekat »

prh wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 pm All I've heard all season is how Vandy's 2 pitchers are gonna be drafted 1-2, I'm so sick of them. They should have won the SEC with that Fri/Sat pair
Amazingly, Ole Miss beat them 3 out of 4 times this season. The same Ole Miss that we just took 2 of 3 from. If Ole Miss could hit them, I like our chances.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Here ya go boys. F these guys

With the elimination of Arkansas (and knowing nothing about Arizona), how substantial a favorite is Vanderbilt in Bracket 1?

Of the Us T, UVA/DBU, CLANGA/DOMER (understanding half of those slashes will no longer be options by the time you answer this), who is the best/worst matchup in a potential championship series?

Let’s just say Arky going down made us the prohibitive favorite. Pac 12 teams Stansbury and Zona—and to a lesser extend, ACC team NC State—can hit the cover off the ball, but not a one of them has a pitcher that scares me. The best is Stansbury’s Beck, but we won’t see him, as he’ll throw Game One against NC State. Probably the best pitchers after that are NC State’s tandem of lefty relievers, Jr. Evan “Maine” Justice and Fr. Chris “Houseman” Villaman.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/6/15/ ... l=1*ljn035*

There is our response to them about our team. I hope our guys are reading some of these articles
ekat

Post by ekat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/6/15/ ... l=1*ljn035*

There is our response to them about our team. I hope our guys are reading some of these articles
Good for Pederson to not sink to that level of arrogance and, well, unprofessionalism. That Did Lute Olson recruit them statement really bugs me.

Man do I want to beat them now.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/6/15/ ... l=1*ljn035*

I mean using stupid "big" words and obsessing about our height? Really are those the type of questions they care about?

Sounds like they have zero respect for our team and program. Hoping we shove it right up their smug, over-confident asses.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cromulent? Really?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 pm Cromulent? Really?
Right, not like he used a more common, polysyllabic word (see what I did there?) so it sounds so forced you want to say huh? Are you trying to act smart or are you actually making fun of us?

The guy is a total douchebag.
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What is the hold up? My gut tells me the President & AD are getting involved...

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/arizona-b ... ilt-update
ekat

Post by ekat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 am What is the hold up? My gut tells me the President & AD are getting involved...

I know you all have told me how, and it appears I’m incapable, or my iPad is incapable of posting tweets, BUT, Michael Lev implied yesterday that your gut would be correct.

https://twitter.com/MichaelJLev/status/ ... 3417841666
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ekat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 am What is the hold up? My gut tells me the President & AD are getting involved...

I know you all have told me how, and it appears I’m incapable, or my iPad is incapable of posting tweets, BUT, Michael Lev implied yesterday that your gut would be correct.

https://twitter.com/MichaelJLev/status/ ... 3417841666
Erase everything in the link from the question mark on (which it looks like you did), then surround the link with the Tweet tags ([tweet]…[/tweet]).