Terrance Ferguson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Terrance Ferguson

Post by ChooChooCat »

Some people just really need to stop posting about this already.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:Nothing official yet, so hang in there, everyone.
Beachcat97 wrote:Until TF or CSM issues an official statement, no one knows anything.
Beachcat97 wrote:So long, TF. We hardly knew you.
Dude, wtf? :lol:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I got this..

Crossing my fingers, wearing my four leaf clover...lighting a candle now. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Until TF or CSM issues an official statement, no one knows anything.
It's called being bipolar.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
https://youtu.be/TnVrop697uU" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You got to be kidding me.... :cry:
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

It honestly sucks that the lifeblood of my favorite and most passionate sport has been reduced to this.

It's making it harder and harder to enjoy college hoops the way I used to.

And it isn't just Ferguson. It's the whole process. It's a systemic problem that will only get worse and situations like this are the worst of it.

Sill love my school and still love my coach tho!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PennZona20 wrote:It honestly sucks that the lifeblood of my favorite and most passionate sport has been reduced to this.

It's making it harder and harder to enjoy college hoops the way I used to.

And it isn't just Ferguson. It's the whole process. It's a systemic problem that will only get worse and situations like this are the worst of it.

Sill love my school and still love my coach tho!
Yeah :(

I continue to think that we might need to revamp our recruiting ideas a bit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Grant Jerrett listen to God and is now out of the NBA?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Didn't Grant Jerrett listen to God and is now out of the NBA?
It's easier to hear God's wisdom after an extra year or so in the weight room.

On Ferguson, is there any final word or are we still in limbo?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think the results of the NCAA eligibility decision due at the end of this week.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just caught up on the news.

ballsack.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CalStateTempe wrote:He's going to the NBA?

What a turd.
No. If ineligible because he went to a bullshit diploma mill basketball academy, he will go to Australia or China. Most insiders seem to think this is the backup plan. Some reports suggest it's now the main plan.

Nobody has said shit that means I should worry.

Frankly, I don't really care. I honestly think with Trier, Simmons, Alkins, Smith, Lauri, and then whatever we get from those returning, that Arizona wins the Pac.

As for March. Arizona has been completely fucked by brackets far too often for me to think they won't be again, regardless of record, so until Arizona gets the lucky bounce that changes things, I'll expect Sweet 16/Elite 8 yearly and almost never be disappointed again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:I think the results of the NCAA eligibility decision due at the end of this week.
There's no real timeline for the NCAA to figure this shit out. They are notoriously bad at this and it would not surprise me if they just don't make a decision at all any time soon and Ferg goes overseas to protect himself and the problem is magically solved for the NCAA.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seems like CSM has largely avoided these situations with having to wait for a player, or for the NCAA to rule on a player's status. Not sure what the lesson is here. Do you avoid the TFs of the world and focus energy on players whose eligibility is not in question? Or do you keep rolling the dice and hope a few work out?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Irish27 wrote:
deleted, what did it say?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Some tweet to rondae telling him to bear down.

I guess if it's gone he's gone is my take.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CalStateTempe wrote:Some tweet to rondae telling him to bear down.

I guess if it's gone he's gone is my take.
I think you mean Jefferson. I think everyone needs to quit worrying until there's reason to worry.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

His Twitter profile reads both University of Arizona and #BTFD

I wouldn't read anything off a deleted post exulting Jefferson as the reason for the win and employing a bear emoticon and a down arrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:His Twitter profile reads both University of Arizona and #BTFD

I wouldn't read anything off a deleted post exulting Jefferson as the reason for the win and employing a bear emoticon and a down arrow.
There should be a subforum for overanalyzing recruits tweets.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sounds like TF obviously wants to be at UofA. It's not like he had a change of heart. But it doesn't make sense for him to wait on the NCAA if a favorable outcome is unlikely, and if it's going to cut into the season. He wants to play, and he should go where he can do that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

First, be could be ineligible. In that case, he should head overseas. I doubt any Arizona fan would do different.

He could be waiting to see the eligibility decision. If that's the case, you have to think he would probably come here, otherwise, why wait to see if he's eligible?

The overseas thing (or Under Armor) could have not fleshed themselves out fully. This would also create delay that is less positive for him coming to Arizona.

We'll see how it goes. If we knew the status of offers from overseas and Under Armor, we might know, but the last thing Ferguson needs to do is to publicize getting financial offers.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I've never been more over a kid that's never put on an Arizona uniform yet in my life.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event wrote:I've never been more over a kid that's never put on an Arizona uniform yet in my life.
No news is good news in this case, I do believe TF does want to be a Cat.

Unlike Ndudi Ebi. No one more I could care less about.

If TF goes pro as expected due to a degree mill high school, but still wanted to go to UA, then will still root for him.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Obviously, Australia is plan b for TF. Let's just hope he doesn't have to settle for that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It is concerning, though, that CSM has so much riding on a kid who was at a degree mill HS. Other coaches stayed away from TF. Miller rolled the dice.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Main Event wrote:I've never been more over a kid that's never put on an Arizona uniform yet in my life.
No news is good news in this case, I do believe TF does want to be a Cat.

Unlike Ndudi Ebi. No one more I could care less about.

If TF goes pro as expected due to a degree mill high school, but still wanted to go to UA, then will still root for him.
If the HS eligibility issues kill it for us, I don't know why anyone would bear him ill will. Maybe he made a bad decision by attending a shaky prep program, but that's not exactly the most damning thing for a kid his age. It would just suck for us and him (assuming he wants to come here).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:It is concerning, though, that CSM has so much riding on a kid who was at a degree mill HS. Other coaches stayed away from TF. Miller rolled the dice.
What kind of revisonist history is that. Kansas and UNC were our main competitors at the end. It wasn't like big time programs were shying away from Ferguson.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

CSM was going for JJ and needed to continue to TF in case JJ didn't commit.

I don't fault TF. I just don't like the culture of psuedo-professional/free-agency in high school sports. What is wrong with representing the area you are from? Go to your local high school, win for them. I understand all these kids want to go to sport prep academies to play against the best and show off their talent, it just sucks for the fans.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UALoco wrote:CSM was going for JJ and needed to continue to TF in case JJ didn't commit.

I don't fault TF. I just don't like the culture of psuedo-professional/free-agency in high school sports. What is wrong with representing the area you are from? Go to your local high school, win for them. I understand all these kids want to go to sport prep academies to play against the best and show off their talent, it just sucks for the fans.
Ostensibly, it's about coaching/training. If you live in an area where basketball doesn't have a strong tradition and the teams have been mediocre and the coach isn't particularly great nor does he teach what a kid needs to know to be successful at the college and pro levels, then people are going to move their kids out of that school district or get them into a private school with better coaching, facilities, etc.

It even happens in areas with strong traditions/coaching. In my kids' school district it's usually between them and Valpo for top public school program in the area. Didn't stop Mitch McGary from going to a private school program and he credits that move with his subsequent success.

Also, you have to take into account that kids in areas where there is gun violence, gangs, etc. probably should take the first opportunity to get out. It's hard to tell a kid he should stay in public housing watching his friends gangbang because he needs to be loyal to his local school, even though he could go to a Brewster Academy (or wherever) and get better and get prepared for what he'll see at the next level.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote: I don't fault TF. I just don't like the culture of psuedo-professional/free-agency in high school sports. What is wrong with representing the area you are from? Go to your local high school, win for them. I understand all these kids want to go to sport prep academies to play against the best and show off their talent, it just sucks for the fans.
Agree 100%.

But on the flip side, look at Trier. 4 high schools in 4 years, but decides to come back for a 2nd year at Arizona. Longest he has played for the same school for quite some time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
UALoco wrote:CSM was going for JJ and needed to continue to TF in case JJ didn't commit.

Ostensibly, it's about coaching/training. If you live in an area where basketball doesn't have a strong tradition and the teams have been mediocre and the coach isn't particularly great nor does he teach what a kid needs to know to be successful at the college and pro levels, then people are going to move their kids out of that school district or get them into a private school with better coaching, facilities, etc.

It even happens in areas with strong traditions/coaching. In my kids' school district it's usually between them and Valpo for top public school program in the area. Didn't stop Mitch McGary from going to a private school program and he credits that move with his subsequent success.

Also, you have to take into account that kids in areas where there is gun violence, gangs, etc. probably should take the first opportunity to get out. It's hard to tell a kid he should stay in public housing watching his friends gangbang because he needs to be loyal to his local school, even though he could go to a Brewster Academy (or wherever) and get better and get prepared for what he'll see at the next level.
It's hard for me to fault a kid for wanting to seek out the best competition and coaching. Trying to reach the NBA is an extremely competitive process. Few people make it, and the few who do often don't last long.

A local high school degree isn't going to offset the money difference that can come from NBA/D League/overseas. I'm sure players realize that if they are not maximizing their development in HS, their competition probably is. It isn't the 80's or 90's where programs like Oak Hill were few and far between.

Chi is right that the home base for a lot of players frequently isn't a garden spot too.

I remember being a lightly recruited player in the late 90's. You had access to a few big tourneys (I lived in Vegas and there were always various big AAU events there) and that was basically it. Even really high level programs weren't playing national schedules. We had tourneys in Flagstaff, San Diego and Southern Utah and I thought we were cool. There's been a massive infusion of money to the pre-college developmental process, and the world is just different.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

let's not forget that there's a bit of room between non-qualification and being cleared to play right away. the ncaa could allow ferg to practice but not compete while they dig into the details; or he could sit for all or part of the fall semester and play the rest of the season - like chieck diallo or almost-thon maker. i'm sure the staff and compliance office are communicating possible options and outcomes to TF, and hopefully he'll do what's best for himself in the long-run.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

UALoco wrote:Obviously, Australia is plan b for TF. Let's just hope he doesn't have to settle for that.
if it comes down tot hat, CSM should ask matt korcheck to post up at the airport gate in australia and swat ferg back onto the plane
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:let's not forget that there's a bit of room between non-qualification and being cleared to play right away. the ncaa could allow ferg to practice but not compete while they dig into the details; or he could sit for all or part of the fall semester and play the rest of the season - like chieck diallo or almost-thon maker. i'm sure the staff and compliance office are communicating possible options and outcomes to TF, and hopefully he'll do what's best for himself in the long-run.
If I'm Ferguson, and the Aussie/UA offer is real, I don't know why I'd forgo that for the whims of the NCAA.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If I'm Ferguson, and the Aussie/UA offer is real, I don't know why I'd forgo that for the whims of the NCAA.
Booty shorts
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So how does this work exactly? Doesn't CSM need to know sooner than later on this so he can move forward with a Plan B if TF isn't coming? Is this going to drag out all summer?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So how does this work exactly? Doesn't CSM need to know sooner than later on this so he can move forward with a Plan B if TF isn't coming? Is this going to drag out all summer?
Plan B? We already have this covered by our roster. We don't need to add another guy if Ferg goes overseas.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:let's not forget that there's a bit of room between non-qualification and being cleared to play right away. the ncaa could allow ferg to practice but not compete while they dig into the details; or he could sit for all or part of the fall semester and play the rest of the season - like chieck diallo or almost-thon maker. i'm sure the staff and compliance office are communicating possible options and outcomes to TF, and hopefully he'll do what's best for himself in the long-run.
If I'm Ferguson, and the Aussie/UA offer is real, I don't know why I'd forgo that for the whims of the NCAA.
The same reason most top prospects don't go overseas. Marketing their own brand at the NCAA level is better for them than Australia.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:So how does this work exactly? Doesn't CSM need to know sooner than later on this so he can move forward with a Plan B if TF isn't coming? Is this going to drag out all summer?
Plan B? We already have this covered by our roster. We don't need to add another guy if Ferg goes overseas.
Maybe we can get Josh Jackson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
The same reason most top prospects don't go overseas. Marketing their own brand at the NCAA level is better for them than Australia.
Enes Kanter begs to differ.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
True, but TF was a possible starter, so his roster spot is significant. CSM could either look at transfers still out there, or call it a day and save the scholarship for the '17 class. TF was going to be a dangerous three point shooter for us, which we haven't had in a while. This just means more minutes for AT, KS, and RA, which is by no means a bad thing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Lol if Ferg can't qualify then overseas is better than nothing I'll give you that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Given I went to the U of Arizona I was like many here basically indoctrinated to love College Basketball. That is my heart

My brain tells me College Basketball is easily the worst sport from a fan perspective outside of the thrill of March Madness. Everything is against the sport now I feel like. The NCAA absolutely sucks big old donkey balls, no team builds off another team, guys only care about getting to the league so they will leave early or transfer in one seconds notice, the coaches are bigger stars then the players, the regular season is borderline worthless for a PAC 5 school, our team does not play anyone of substance at home during the pre-conference season anymore, and your entire season is determined/judged by how you do in a neutral court single elimination tournament.

From an outside perspective being a die hard college basketball fan now seems much tougher then it was 20 years ago and terrance ferguson is just reason #25768.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

This is the Terrance Ferguson thread where people at this point come to discuss what's up with Terrance and his prospects of joining us, and how we might tactically adjust if we lose him. It's a hot news topic I believe a lot of us check into regularly.

Essays on how the game of college basketball is changing for you personally should land in some other thread in my view.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Newportcat wrote:... College Basketball is easily the worst sport from a fan perspective outside of the thrill of March Madness. Everything is against the sport now I feel like... the coaches are bigger stars then [sic] the players....
I don't relate to what's wrong with the bolded. The coaches and coaching are the main reason why I'm a college basketball fan.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

ChooChooCat wrote:Lol if Ferg can't qualify then overseas is better than nothing I'll give you that.
Yeah, true. Australia is a good league competitively speaking, but it is a step or two down from Europe. Its getting better again, but still has a ways to go to be top-notch. Ferg could lend some draw power maybe, but if he is really classy, he may get pulled on to Europe very quickly (or, heaven forbid, China). Most NBL contracts seem to be structured so that import players can come in for a few weeks and leave anytime if they are called to the US or Europe for better deals. Sucks big time for team continuity.

The league is still rather financially kinda shaky; it hasn't really recovered from 2 teams collapsing mid-season a couple of years ago. Pity that. 10 years ago it was starting to get some real traction and was putting up a quality product and had a pretty good TV contract for a 'minor' sport in Oz (today Netball has a better TV deal than the NBL ever had). Then a couple of teams were taken over by Ponzi Scheme con-men and just sucked the life out of the league.

The two powerful Melbourne teams have merged (Magic + Tigers => United); and Sydney, long the 'sleeping giant' had just about earned itself a power franchise reputation when it too got into financial trouble but dug itself out. Sydney has hired Andrew Gaze to rebuild the club. Gaze is a Melbourne Tigers and Australian Basketball Olympics legend, carried Wake Forest to the NCAA final four on his back, and spent about 5 minutes in the NBA. His father, Lindsay Gaze, is not an Australian Basketball Legend - he IS Australian Basketball.

So bottom line is that TF could probably do worse than playing in Australia if he doesn't get qualified. But Adelaide? Huh, nice town but I wouldn't wanna play basketball there. I'd rather see him in Melbourne of course, where I could get to see him. Sydney would corrupt him, but he'd get good coaching and the organization would probably treat him right. If he didn't want the big city lights, then Perth would have been better than Adelaide.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:Given I went to the U of Arizona I was like many here basically indoctrinated to love College Basketball. That is my heart

My brain tells me College Basketball is easily the worst sport from a fan perspective outside of the thrill of March Madness. Everything is against the sport now I feel like. The NCAA absolutely sucks big old donkey balls, no team builds off another team, guys only care about getting to the league so they will leave early (Rob Gronkowski and Scooby Wright say hi) or transfer in one seconds notice (Jalen Tabor says hi), the coaches are bigger stars then the players (Nick Saban says hello), the regular season is borderline worthless for a PAC 5 school, our team does not play anyone of substance at home during the pre-conference season anymore (UA football says hello), and your entire season is determined/judged by how you do in a neutral court single elimination tournament.

From an outside perspective being a die hard college basketball fan now seems much tougher then it was 20 years ago and terrance ferguson is just reason #25768.
Not seeing much difference between hoops and football except for the Tournament, which in your words is somehow both the best and the worst part of basketball.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Lol if Ferg can't qualify then overseas is better than nothing I'll give you that.
I referenced Kanter more in the sense that he stayed with KY because he thought he'd be eligible, the NCAA strung it out a bit and then it didn't happen. NCAA limbo is an ugly place.