Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Frybry02 »

Puerco wrote:My wife asked me how the game went, and I told her, 'Best possible result. We won by 20 but the coaches still have a strong message to send.'
Ding ding ding! our worst game stopping dribble pentetration. A lot to show on film.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A lot of that was just the relentlessness of Texas Southern. That was their game plan. Dribble drive down our throats, over and over again, get to the line, get our guys in foul trouble. How many teams have had that gameplan against us this year? How many teams are crazy enough to be undersized, and dribble drive into the heart of an Arizona packline defense with four players 6'7 or taller?

I think the combination of us not being used to teams doing that, combined with the large lead early is why the defense wasn't up to snub. It was like we were waiting for them to give up and start jacking up 3's and pulling up, but it didnt happen. That's what normal teams do, they give up and/or adjust. I tip my hat to Texas Southern, they had heart and their coach had a gameplan and all involved had the balls to stick with it,.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

rgdeuce wrote:A lot of that was just the relentlessness of Texas Southern. That was their game plan. Dribble drive down our throats, over and over again, get to the line, get our guys in foul trouble. How many teams have had that gameplan against us this year? How many teams are crazy enough to be undersized, and dribble drive into the heart of an Arizona packline defense with four players 6'7 or taller?

I think the combination of us not being used to teams doing that, combined with the large lead early is why the defense wasn't up to snub. It was like we were waiting for them to give up and start jacking up 3's and pulling up, but it didnt happen. That's what normal teams do, they give up and/or adjust. I tip my hat to Texas Southern, they had heart and their coach had a gameplan and all involved had the balls to stick with it,.
Completely agree with your assessment of Texas Southern and their game plan. As a coach, I'm sure miller will use it as a coaching moment because they were lazy on defense. From York, to TJ, to rhondae, to SJ, neither slid their feet. Do that against Russell and Scott, the outcome could be very different than yesterday.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:A lot of that was just the relentlessness of Texas Southern. That was their game plan. Dribble drive down our throats, over and over again, get to the line, get our guys in foul trouble. How many teams have had that gameplan against us this year? How many teams are crazy enough to be undersized, and dribble drive into the heart of an Arizona packline defense with four players 6'7 or taller?

I give TxSo credit, but one of the fundamentals of defense is finishing plays. Staying down and countering that second and third attempt is what separates teams. They exploited it, but intensity giving out before the drive was over was a recurring issue.

If I was a coach, game film would be 10 of those possessions where we relaxed on the play before they did, then the message you can beat TxSo with that, but to beat OSU, we need to finish each possession.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Yeah, I agree that Texas S was relentless and didn't quit. I also tip my hat to them for fighting till the end. (mentioned above) Arizona's defensive intensity did drop a bit when Cats got ahead by 20 + pts. It seems like an uncharacteristic mental "lapse" during the second half. I'm betting that this will be addressed properly. Hopefully there will be a sense of urgency at practice prepping for OSU.

I'd like to see a killer instinct mindset going forward. If you get a team down, keep em down...mentally and on the score board.

Should be fun on Saturday. ;)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I loved Rondae's quote about TxSo not rebounding defensively.
“It was tough because they don’t (defensive) rebound,” Hollis-Jefferson said. “They don’t try. They just take off. You look up and your man would be down the court. And we were trying to offensive rebound, you know?”
Gotta love cherry pickers.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller was very upset at halftime up 21 with the defensive play, and let them know at halftime. The interviewer noted him yanking Johnson for his lack of defensive intensity.

Unfortunately his half time talk didn't help. He was also upset in his post game presser about lack of defense. They will be getting an earful today.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Miller was very upset at halftime up 21 with the defensive play, and let them know at halftime. The interviewer noted him yanking Johnson for his lack of defensive intensity.

Unfortunately his half time talk didn't help. He was also upset in his post game presser about lack of defense. They will be getting an earful today.
Being good enough and cruising to a 20 point win doesn't cut it with Miller.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:Miller was very upset at halftime up 21 with the defensive play, and let them know at halftime. The interviewer noted him yanking Johnson for his lack of defensive intensity.

Yeah, he had that line about some kids only staying a year or two. Ouch. Pointed.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Sean Miller worries about D with D'Angelo Russell looming
March 19, 2015 9:58 pm ET
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Arizona coach Sean Miller knows how it sounds. On an NCAA Tournament day when No. 3 seeds Iowa State and Baylor lost and Notre Dame barely won, finding fault in second-seeded Arizona's 93-72 victory over Texas Southern requires perspective.

But defense was a sore point for Miller, namely allowing 72 points and 47 percent shooting to the nation's 165th-most efficient offense, according to kenpom.com.

"I told the guys afterwards, I don't want to be Coach Gloom and Doom," Miller said. "I recognize we're in the tournament. I know we won. I know we won by a big margin. But we have high hopes and high aspirations. In this tournament, you don't get a second chance. I know a couple games were played simultaneous to ours. Those teams wish they had a do-over, but there isn't one. The best team doesn't always win, it's the team that's best on that night or that day."

This is the backdrop for Arizona as it tries to reach the Final Four for the first time since 2001. This is the narrative for Miller, who is the latest coach to be labeled The Best Coach To Never Make The Final Four.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... YHF7e3228e
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

4 points on 1/12 shooting.. lets hope that's a one time thing
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

How many of those were misses close to the bucket/failed putbacks/him being fouled
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Confidence wasn't there...you could see it on that uncontested 10 footer in the lane with no one on him.

Hopefully, he will shake it off. He usually bounces back pretty strong.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller said that Johnson is the one player that makes a bad play then immediately forgets about it and makes a great one.

Today's game was the guards. Next game the wings.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote:Miller said that Johnson is the one player that makes a bad play then immediately forgets about it and makes a great one.

He also said in the presser that he thinks Stanley will be more comfortable in his next game now that he has the first two under his belt.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Miller said that Johnson is the one player that makes a bad play then immediately forgets about it and makes a great one.

I'm thinking Stanley will have a very good game next Thursday. He should be motivated enough and might try to do too much...but I hope he resists that urge.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nice job Stanley.

I'm going to chalk up Young's girly slap and elbow of Zeus to heat of the moment/frustration with getting his ass kicked over and over by Arizona. Kid has a lot of heart and can play. If Oregon's second and third guys showed up yesterday, they had a really good shot at Wisky. He's going to have a career in the NBA
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

8-)

Johnson, as always, was not fazed by his offensive struggles. When asked about his performance, he said, matter-of-factly, "I feel good about it. We won the game. One for 12, (15)-point win, Sweet 16, I can live and be happy."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /25168419/
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dekker-Johnson match-up was killer. Stan scored two points total in both second halves in LA. Dekker was insane. Career game in a big game.

Nice season. Rough finish. Hope he does well in the League. Hope the eye is OK.
Right where I want to be.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Waste of a game for Stanley. He was useless.
Second time this year he had a double dribble in a pressure situations.
Not as concerned about him not being here next year as RHJ or Ashley
Salty

Post by Salty »

Will be remembered as a Jerryd Bayless type of player.

Nice knowin ya
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Enjoyed having him, and good luck in the NBA.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Starting to wonder if his draft stock is down vs. earlier this year.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azpenguin wrote:Starting to wonder if his draft stock is down vs. earlier this year.
He's always been showing around 5 and my feeling is that's low. Just in my opinion, but if I was the Lakers there's no chance I let hometown boy fall past their pick at 4.
az91

Post by az91 »

Salty wrote:Will be remembered as a Jerryd Bayless type of player.

Nice knowin ya
Yup. I sure wish that he would stick around for one more year, but no way that happens.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Feel bad for Stanley. That was just some shitty luck.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sad way to go out. Too bad there's no two-year rule. Oh well. Maybe our most talented player ever, and this will be the way many remember him...as the guy who disappeared on the biggest stage. Is that fair? No way. But it's the reality. :-(
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:Starting to wonder if his draft stock is down vs. earlier this year.

I really doubt it. He is still only 18.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UAdevil wrote:Sad way to go out. Too bad there's no two-year rule. Oh well. Maybe our most talented player ever, and this will be the way many remember him...as the guy who disappeared on the biggest stage. Is that fair? No way. But it's the reality. :-(

Certainly won't be remembered as the go-to scorer so many expected him to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I still don't understand how he was called for a foul, when he got hit in the eye.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:I still don't understand how he was called for a foul, when he got hit in the eye.
You are not alone...
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:I still don't understand how he was called for a foul, when he got hit in the eye.
Makes NO sense.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That eye was just too damn aggressive.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What was the foul? Over the back?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Well, could always try again next year ;) ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:What was the foul? Over the back?
He got hit in the face by two guys. That was the only contact.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Come on back Stanley..although you may have to play PF
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
az91

Post by az91 »

Macho Grande wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Sad way to go out. Too bad there's no two-year rule. Oh well. Maybe our most talented player ever, and this will be the way many remember him...as the guy who disappeared on the biggest stage. Is that fair? No way. But it's the reality. :-(

I wonder if it was the system he played in?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

az91 wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:

I wonder if it was the system he played in?
I think the pack line is responsible for his double dribble late in the game (as well as his fouling out), and his tendencies to try and make a 1-on-4 Fastbreak and turn the ball over during the season. It has also prevented several highly talented players from fulfilling their potential and getting drafted into the NBA.

I really like Stanley and I wish him well; he was among the best freshmen we've ever had. Very smart, talented kid with a bright future. He will be the best NBA player our school has ever produced. So far.

But if you want to be forever loved, you either have to get to a Final 4 or stick around more than one year.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Seriously would he be the #1 pick next year?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That double dribble play was the last glimmer of hope we had. I really thought he was going to have an 18-8 type of game tonight. Stanleys career didn't end the way we thought it would, but he was a damn good player and will rep Arizona nicely at the next level. His draft stock is in no way affected, hes still going 3-5.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Macho Grande wrote:

No, but:

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... ?id=201408

He wound up Arizona’s leading scorer with an average of 13.8 points a game and was second in rebounding at 6.5. Johnson also led the Wildcats with 178 free throws taken over 38 games, and he hit them at a 74.2 percent rate.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Stan was a great Wildcat, and one of the best players in the country all year...as an 18 year old freshman. Sure his season didn't end the way he, or you, or his teammates and coaches wanted.

None of that means he wasn't a fantastic basketball player. He was as advertised, and was a great Wildcat.

Remember what you want, but don't diminish what he was cause he didn't win your team one more game than you wanted.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

In their single seasons at AZ:

AG -- 12.4 PPG, 8 RPG, 2 APG, .9 SPG, 1.0 BPG, 1.4 TPG, .495 FG%, .422 FT%, .356 3FG%

SJ -- 14 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 1.7 APG, 1.5 SPG, .4 BPG, 2.1 TPG, .446 FG%, .739 FT%, .374 3FG%

I thought SJ was a great competitor this year, and he was a crucial part of this team. But now that his one and only season at AZ is in the books, I still feel like AG's total impact on our program and team was greater. I'm sure some will disagree.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:In their single seasons at AZ:

AG -- 12.4 PPG, 8 RPG, 2 APG, .9 SPG, 1.0 BPG, 1.4 TPG, .495 FG%, .422 FT%, .356 3FG%

SJ -- 14 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 1.7 APG, 1.5 SPG, .4 BPG, 2.1 TPG, .446 FG%, .739 FT%, .374 3FG%

I thought SJ was a great competitor this year, and he was a crucial part of this team. But now that his one and only season at AZ is in the books, I still feel like AG's total impact on our program and team was greater. I'm sure some will disagree.
How was it greater? The seasons ended the same way. Stanley's team won a conference tourney championship...

Stupid comments are stupid comments.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Let's cut the crap to what "impact" is:

AG has more highlight reel dunks and ally oops than Stanley. AG made SC Top 10 weekly.Therefore, AG had the bigger impact.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Third-team AA, becoming the 28th Wildcat to earn AA honors.

NABC All-America First Team

Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky

Jerian Grant, Notre Dame

Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin

Jahlil Okafor, Duke

D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State

NABC All-America Second Team

Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia

Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky

Seth Tuttle, Northern Iowa

Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga

Delon Wright, Utah

NABC All-America Third Team

Justin Anderson, Virginia

Buddy Hield, Oklahoma

Stanley Johnson, Arizona

Georges Niang, Iowa State

Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga

Both Duke guards are better than Pangos. McConnell is, too. And that guy who rained in all those threes? Not an All-American.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Still havent found a replay of that. Anyone?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Wait, where is Joe Young?