OT - Four Generations of UofA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

OT - Four Generations of UofA

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

My daughter decided last night that she will be attending at The University of Arizona in the fall.

My grandfather played basketball for the school in the 30's. My father wanted to attend but could only get a golf scholarship to NAU so he went there & just rooted for UofA because it was always his love. I had my daughter at a very young age so I had to stay here in Vegas to attend UNLV (whom I despised on a basketball level) in the late 90's while both my brother & sister attended in Tucson. I was raised in Tucson from age 5-13. I've had Arizona in my blood since long before I was born & was the perfect age to get into sports in the late 80's when Lute was building our powerhouse.

My daughter thought she wanted to attend UNR because she has so many friends going there. Then when she was accepted to UofA a couple weeks ago - I was totally geeked out because much like my father & I - I don't think you have to attend to be a super-fan. My daugther's favorite player is Nick Johnson. She's been following the teams closely for over 4 years now. We were at the game together when we beat ASU in November. We went crazy.

I was going to be ok if she didn't go there. I really didn't think she was going to. And then last night, she told me that she's thought about it & that she'd like to go to UofA and that's where she feels the most at home. Holy S&#T. I think I cried for 20 min. lol

So now, some 80+ years later, my grandfathers great-granddaughter is going to be attending his alma matter which he loved more than anything his entire life.

Plus - I'll be in Tucson a lot more often than only once a year. :)

Cheers, Bear Down, Go Cats!

Bear Down Vegas (jed)
scumdevils86

Re: OT - Four Generations of UofA

Post by scumdevils86 »

awesome!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Wow dude, that's incredible. Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fantastic!!!

You should join her and go get another degree..... think "Back to School"
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sweet BDV

Two thumbs up!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Right on BDV!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bear Down Vegas wrote: My grandfather played basketball for the school in the 30's.
Very cool.

I guess your GF just missed Mo Udall by a few years but did have a chance to play for Fred Enke.

UA didn't have a losing season in the 1930s.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coa ... nke-1.html
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

He did play for Fred Enke. He told my father stories that they did not get along well but he always respected him. He played on the football team as well but to the best of our knowledge never really played much even though the team was much smaller then.

My grandfather rooted for UofA his entire life. When I really got into the team in '86 he would almost get mad at me. Tell me I was spoiled to just be liking a successful team that had struggled for so long. It's nostalgic & funny & warming to look back on. I've said similar things to my daughter....lol

My brother & sister tease the shit out of me that I'm not an alum. But I can take it. Especially now. :D