Tarczewski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Tarczewski

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:So he's either staying or leaving? Good to know.
60/40, or 40/60
I heard from a reliable source it is more like 59/41 or 41/59.
I'm hearing contradictory reports that suggest it is more like "41/59 or 59/41", not the other way around for sure.
Bull. My proctologist said he can divine whether players declare early from glancing at my sphincter, and it's now a solid 62/38 after Ashley declared. He didn't say which way, though, because a car drove through the alley he uses as his office and we had to end the appointment.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:So he's either staying or leaving? Good to know.
60/40, or 40/60
I heard from a reliable source it is more like 59/41 or 41/59.
I'm hearing contradictory reports that suggest it is more like "41/59 or 59/41", not the other way around for sure.
Bull. My proctologist said he can divine whether players declare early from glancing at my sphincter, and it's now a solid 62/38 after Ashley declared. He didn't say which way, though, because a car drove through the alley he uses as his office and we had to end the appointment.
Can you pass me his contact details? I'm in the market for a prescient proctologist, and I've been told my sphicter is a veritable haruspex.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Pac is wide open next year.
No, no it's not.

I know I've said this before, but you really need to stick with what you know. Which probably is no topic ever discussed on this message board.
lol! Oops, my bad :) Pac is unequivocally "not wide open" next year. It's obvious who will finish first, and anyone who suggests otherwise should really just STFU.

Oh, OD, you're really somethin.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Twitter blew up
at the end of the day
It literally blew up
but it's still okay.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote: Can you pass me his contact details? I'm in the market for a prescient proctologist, and I've been told my sphicter is a veritable haruspex.
Reminds me of the punchline to a joke I can't remember.

Rectum, hell. Killed 'em both.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I can see Zeus having a huge senior year, playing himself into the first round.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Needs to carry one of these at all times.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good decision Zeus!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yay! Great news. Comanche redshirt? I see Tarc, Ristic and Anderson gobbling up the front-line minutes. Get to work on the high-low.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this decision solidifies one of the best front-courts in the country for Arizona

this is a coup for Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote: Yay! Great news. Comanche redshirt? I see Tarc, Ristic and Anderson gobbling up the front-line minutes. Get to work on the high-low.
Comanche will no doubt redshirt now, and I wonder how much Ristic gets spread around, position-wise--or if he is purely the backup 5, to the exclusion of everyone else.

I'm going to have this irrational fear, right up to November, that Dusan is going to go Javtokas on us all of a sudden after some European team makes an offer. Need to make sure he's in the fold for next year and knows his role.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Amazing news. AZ is going to be a force next year, I'm already excited!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ristic would be a danger as a Dirk clone. Dusan was 4/5 3 point shots last season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote: Yay! Great news. Comanche redshirt? I see Tarc, Ristic and Anderson gobbling up the front-line minutes. Get to work on the high-low.
When's the last time Miller redshirted a freshman? I'll believe it when I see it.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Now we just need SJ to say he is keeping is talents in Tucson!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

why the hell would Comanche redshirt when without him we only have one backup post player?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:why the hell would Comanche redshirt when without him we only have one backup post player?
Yeah I agree Anderson/chance at 4 and Zues/Duce at the 5. That all changes if Rabb comes. I am not sure we need a grad transfer at 4 or 5 maybe a nice small forward but let's just get SJ to return them you have SJ/Smith at the 3. Damn just typing this getting me JACKED for next year!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is huge. Zeus has a chance to be all Pac next season.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:why the hell would Comanche redshirt when without him we only have one backup post player?
not to mention how quickly our guys get whistled for fouls down low
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Add Rabb and a grad transfer big man and a Comanche RS is all but a given.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If the Cats can bag Tollefsen from USF then Commanche could and should redshirt.

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

You serious? He will redshit (especially if we get the San Fran grad transfer which is looking likely) because he isn't ready to play college basketball. It's really quite simple.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I will bet a zillion internet bucks that the only people who think highly touted prospects should redshirt at Arizona are confined to this board and the internet. Top 50 players don't redshirt.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is huge. Zeus has a chance to be all Pac next season.
Zeus was the best 5 in the Pac this year... he would have been All Pac this year if they chose to get their heads out of their asses and put a center on the All Pac team.

Next year Zeus is going to dominate the Pac.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
When's the last time Miller redshirted a freshman? I'll believe it when I see it.
When was the last time he needed to? Or could afford to?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Machina

Post by Machina »

Great to hear that my boy Kaleb is coming back
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Craig Victor.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I will bet a zillion internet bucks that the only people who think highly touted prospects should redshirt at Arizona are confined to this board and the internet. Top 50 players don't redshirt.
Comanche is not a top 50 prospect. Top 100, sure. But he is a 4-year guy who won't contribute meaningful minutes next year, so that's why he should redshirt. If he sees significant time, something has gone terribly wrong next year
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Victor was Ashley's backup. Miller had no natural 4 besides Brandon to go to after Craig left.

Why post like Miller has some kind of written policy against redshirting freshmen? It's a personal, shifting philosophy at most.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I will bet a zillion internet bucks that the only people who think highly touted prospects should redshirt at Arizona are confined to this board and the internet. Top 50 players don't redshirt.
Comanche is not a top 50 prospect. Top 100, sure. But he is a 4-year guy who won't contribute meaningful minutes next year, so that's why he should redshirt. If he sees significant time, something has gone terribly wrong next year
#45 on scout, #51 on 24/7. What someone should do is not what they will do.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Craig Victor.
If 6 minutes a game was not enough for Craig, I can only imagine how 0 would have gone over.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Every single recruiting analyst and service disagrees with you. If we don't get rabb or a transfer, Comanche will get minutes solely based on need. You can't run a team with a 3 man post rotation. If dusan or tarc goes down we are burning Comanches redshirt. He will get minutes just out of necessity.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: If 6 minutes a game was not enough for Craig, I can only imagine how 0 would have gone over.
That's how many Victor received and will get the rest of 2015.

Comanche was 6'10" 195 pounts. A RS will do him good to bulk up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Craig Victor.
If 6 minutes a game was not enough for Craig, I can only imagine how 0 would have gone over.
It is virtually unheard of for a somewhat rated guy to redshirt. Tossing them minutes here and there is an personality management thing. Just asking even a moderately recruited guy to redshirt...

Well, I've made it clear what I think...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Good news. I'm happy for the team next year, for the anchor in the middle of a defense that will have alot to learn.

Having a Anderson/Zues/Ristic frontcourt...with a transfer grad possibility, that's something right there.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm excited about Anderson. Guy was a like 2-3 Year acc starter that regularly dropped 15 to 20 points on good teams.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

84Cat wrote:Good decision Zeus!
Here are the number of games/starts Zeus has had at Arizona:

Freshman - 35/35
Sophomore - 36/35
Junior - 38/37
Total - 109/107

Not only is he within striking distance of most games started (Gardner - 135), but with 31 games next year he would pass Kyle Fogg (139) for the most games played as a Wildcat. I couldn't find what the record is, but I guess he also has a shot for the most wins for a Wildcat. Toss in a business degree and he could get a lot out of returning next year.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Neither do JUCO POYs. Oh, wait.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:Victor was Ashley's backup. Miller had no natural 4 besides Brandon to go to after Craig left.

Why post like Miller has some kind of written policy against redshirting freshmen? It's a personal, shifting philosophy at most.
Yeah. It's not a religious belief. Allowed to do it, as the situation demands.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Miller has had multiple freshmen who were essentially nonfactors their freshman year. Bejarano, York, Victor. The common thing? None redshirted. Some had a future here, some did not. None redshirted.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Victor was Ashley's backup. Miller had no natural 4 besides Brandon to go to after Craig left.

I'm not saying he has a policy against it. I'm saying, the player has to consent, and try getting a top 50 (top 50-ish if you're a stickler for every single ranking service at every time) to consent to that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Miller has had multiple freshmen who were essentially nonfactors their freshman year. Bejarano, York, Victor. The common thing? None redshirted. Some had a future here, some did not. None redshirted.
So why redshirt a junior? I'm just saying the status of "freshman" is meaningless to the decision. I've never heard of him having a hard-and-fast rule. What would be the point of it?

Here is Tollefson, who redshirted.

http://www.usfdons.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

So USF did the "dirty" work for Miller. :)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:

I'm not saying he has a policy against it. I'm saying, the player has to consent, and try getting a top 50 (top 50-ish if you're a stickler for every single ranking service at every time) to consent to that.
Good idea, if it helps the team. Why would it be harder than persuading a JUCO POY?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:

Good idea, if it helps the team. Why would it be harder than persuading a JUCO POY?
I heard that Allen redshirted because of grades, not playing ability.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
So why redshirt a junior? I'm just saying the status of "freshman" is meaningless to the decision. I've never heard of him having a hard-and-fast rule. What would be the point of it?

Here is Tollefson, who redshirted.

http://www.usfdons.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

So USF did the "dirty" work for Miller. :)
Because the juniors accepted it, and you have to work to manage player ego and happiness to succeed. Korcheck asked to redshirt and there was never a peep about Allen being against it.

Back to the previous answer, maturity level, expectation level, those things are different freshman to junior. A highly rated freshman is coveted and has plenty of people telling them they can walk on water. By the time a kid has been through a juco program, the glamorous life is gone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Didn't know that about Kadeem. Haven't seen Comanche play. Just seems like some odd moves if immediate PT for Comanche is part of the equation. I'd be more concerned with Ristic's state of mind.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:

i get what you're saying, but i don't think it's technically true. redshirts aren't "taken", they're actually awarded by the ncaa after the season is over. CSM could "redshirt" a scholly player by simply not playing him, whether the player likes it or not. now, that player may decide to quit practicing or leave the program as a result, but it doesn't change the fact that there's ultimately no consent on the redshirt from the player. it's a coach's decision.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

they're actually awarded by the ncaa after the season is over.

Just semantics, but there is nothing that that needs to be done for a redshirt. You have 5 years to play 4 and the clock starts once classes start. That's it.

You step on the court during a game, your redshirt is done. Only exception is that first year players (freshmen, transfers) can play in exhibition games, continuing players cannot without blowing their redshirt.

But you are correct.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:

i get what you're saying, but i don't think it's technically true. redshirts aren't "taken", they're actually awarded by the ncaa after the season is over. CSM could "redshirt" a scholly player by simply not playing him, whether the player likes it or not. now, that player may decide to quit practicing or leave the program as a result, but it doesn't change the fact that there's ultimately no consent on the redshirt from the player. it's a coach's decision.
Functionally, I can't ever see a coach not playing a guy, not explaining why and expecting him back unless he is ok with the RS. Technically you may be right, but that isn't how it would go. Heck, he even played Zach Peters.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

right - we're in agreement around the potential consequences of such a decision. i was putting a fine point on "the player has to consent". sitting a player out isn't about Miller obtaining the kid's consent; it's whether he's prepared to deal with the backlash from the kid's parents, its effect on the team's culture & chemistry, what it means for recruiting, and so on.