Happy 4/27!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Happy 4/27!

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, it's the day after the deadline, and things are a tad more settled. Here are some early thoughts about the questions and answers for next year.

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Who runs the team?

I don't mean who starts at PG, I mean, when the chips are down, who gets the reins? PJC is the purest PG on the roster, and he has a year under his belt. Will he be able to make the leap from spot rotation player to main guy? Simon has the most potential, big with a pterodactyl wingspan and still athletic. Can he run the point in college? What about Allen and York? They are our more experienced guys, but they're both natural SG's. If we have to press them into duty...well, I'd rather PJC and/or Simon locked it down.

Who is on our active roster next year?

The 4-5 and 2-3 are the most interchangeable positions, and right now, we have 5 guys in both those rotations. Zeus and Anderson are givens, but the rest has malleability. It's hard to imagine we play 5 deep in both rotations, because that 5th wheel is...well, a 5th wheel. Right now, I'd guess Pitts and Comanche are the 5th, but Allen and Tollefsen haven't played a minute. Do people leave? Do people redshirt?

SOMEWHAT ANSWERED QUESTIONS

Do we play small(er) ball?

I think it's fairly clear we will play smaller lineups next year, even if that is just Tollefsen at the 4 and a three guard rotation. Zeus, Anderson and Smith (if he starts) is still NBA size on the front line. When we get to mixing and matching, other than Smith, we have more guards than SF's. We won't be as physically imposing all the time. Cry for us, only 2 seven footers and 2 6'9 dudes.

What are the rotations?

This is somewhat answered in that it will probably stay in flux for a while when the season starts. Trier can play, York is a senior, Smith is really talented, Pitts got minutes last year, Allen was Juco POY and Simon has the most defensive upside. Next year, you just hope a rotation falls into place by February.

NO QUESTIONS

What is our team's rock?

Senior/Senior at the 4 and 5. That's the solid foundation for next year. Ristic should be better too, so we make the transition from a perimeter oriented team to one that looks inside first. You can do a whole lot worse than talented seniors starting on the interior.
Merkin

Re: Happy 4/27!

Post by Merkin »

Gabe Encinas thinks Simon will be the starter at PG:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... oint-guard
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Gabe Encinas thinks Simon will be the starter at PG:

I'd like to see him make a strong run. Not because I don't like PJC, but because Simon has a very high upside, and the stronger push he makes, the closer he is to hitting that high ceiling.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:Gabe Encinas thinks Simon will be the starter at PG:

I'd like to see him make a strong run. Not because I don't like PJC, but because Simon has a very high upside, and the stronger push he makes, the closer he is to hitting that high ceiling.
I'll be honest I'm scared to death of having another point guard that can't shoot. I love TJ more than anything but his inability to stretch the floor most certainly hurt us at times. I believe PJC has the ability to be a knockdown 3 point shooter, and as a natural point guard that will make it so much easier to break down the defense and use his amazing vision to get everyone open looks.

As good as Simon is going to be, that kid needs to go Kyle Fogg in the practice gym so that he can be more than just a slasher. That's why I think he will really struggle at the beginning of his career. I hope I'm dead wrong, but I'm just so much more comfortable with PJC running the show. I also am in the minority in that I think PJC will be just fine defensively. A small point guard isn't like a small center who gets crushed on the blocks because he can't stop the bigger guys backing him down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PJC will be a very good starting PG for AZ. Not sure if he'll be great. But he can break down a defense, shoot, and is very good in transition. Reminds me of some of these diminutive, lightning fast guards that Oregon's had through the years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Utah game showed how short PJC really is and he ended up on the bench with York spelling TJ.

Practicing against Simon has to really improve his game both offensively and defensively.

I imagine Miller will let the matchups decide who starts.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I see PJC as more of a change of pace type guy... I think he is invaluable on defense especially, although teams can take advantage of him because of his size... I do hope that PJC wins the PG battle, but I think KA is a little more probable.
gumby

Post by gumby »

^^^^

Only Calvin can see that post, if, in fact, there is one.
Right where I want to be.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

The Yukon is pretty quite out here...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hobbes wrote:I see PJC as more of a change of pace type guy... I think he is invaluable on defense especially, although teams can take advantage of him because of his size... I do hope that PJC wins the PG battle, but I think KA is a little more probable.
I feel like we're friends.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Utah game showed how short PJC really is and he ended up on the bench with York spelling TJ.

Practicing against Simon has to really improve his game both offensively and defensively.

I imagine Miller will let the matchups decide who starts.
Can't see Miller starting different point guards in different games. I don't think that's in his DNA.

He might have Simon in the end of critical games for defense, but I think PJC starts this year unless Simon comes in and takes the job from him. (which I doubt.)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion