Offensive Firepower

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Offensive Firepower

Post by catinfl »

Have we ever had so much offensive talent since Sean Miller has been here? Now we are going to be lacking on defense and I know that, but I can see this team just blowing teams out of the water.

Gabe York: Senior leader. Hit some big shots late in the season and is a dependable scorer and will knock down most of his open 3's. I expect him to turn it up this year which may bite us in the ass sometimes, but it could also be awesome sometimes.

Kaleb Tarcewski: Every off-season we hear about how he's gonna explode on the scene, but he has proved that when he's on he is a very reliable scorer in the post. Tends to go away in some games, but his defense on the interior will be huge for this team. I expect a lot of Tarc dunks this year.

PJC: Probably going to be some drop-off from TJ, but he is a very capable player himself. Can hit the open J and is very nifty in the lane. We all know he is a very good passer. Excited to see him run the point.

Ryan Anderson: He's proven himself in the ACC of all conferences and was a consistent good practice performer last year. May be our best player.

Ray Smith: Was trending upward for his senior year until he tore his ACL. Has said he is 100% and I hope he is. Can hit the 3 and can drive well. Kind of an unknown at this point with the injury, but can be very good.

Dusan Ristic: Some rumblings have said him and Tarc could be on the floor at the same time. While that could be worrisome on defense it could be exciting on offense. Ristic's game on offense is very well rounded. Has been projected as a future 1st round pick for a reason. With some added strength next year he could be a very dependable low post scorer. Can hit the 3 from time to time.

Kadeem Allen: JUCO player of the year. Averaged 25 points a game. Largely an unknown because he has sat out a year. 30% 3 PT shooting in JUCO is a little worrisome, but he's had a year to work on his game and I think he improved in that aspect. (Miller has always had kids improve their three point shooting over time). Will get to the line a lot.

Allonzo Trier: Watch the Jordan Classic to see what he is capable of. Can shoot very well and gets to the line early and often. Will be a very good scoring threat off the bench.

Elliot Pitts: Very streaky shooter, but can hit the 3. More of a defensive player at this point. Will be fighting for minutes.

Justin Simon: Very Raw offensively, but will be a defensive weapon off the bench.

Mark Tollefson: Forgot him, but can hit the three and was an efficient scorer for the Dons. Will be a capable backup 4 to Anderson.
Last edited by catinfl on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Offensive Firepower

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So much depends on how people adjust. I'd think we can count on production from York, Zeus and Anderson. Everyone else, their role is up in the air and seven guys will be playing their first games in Arizona uniforms, with six not having played at the power 5 level previously.

We have the talent, but I have no idea how it comes together.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tollefson is no slouch either.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

76.4/ppg last year. Can we top 80?

Northwestern State lead the reg season with 84.1/game
Last edited by Jefe on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

No
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:76.4/ppg last year. Can we top 80?

Marquette lead the reg season with 84.1/game
I doubt we ever play at a high enough pace. Efficiency should be the measure, and I'm not sure that improves with the loss of some really efficient guys.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:76.4/ppg last year. Can we top 80?

Marquette lead the reg season with 84.1/game
Not seeing Marquette.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ularseason

A grand total of four teams topped 80 ppg. None in Power 5 conferences. To top that mark, probably need significant rule changes, which causes scoring to rise across the board.

We were no slouches last year. Top 7 in scoring among Power 5 schools:

Duke, 79.3
Notre Dame, 78
Iowa State, 77.8
UNC, 77.7
Arkansas, 77.4
Indiana, 77.4
Arizona, 76.6

One trey a game separating first and seventh. One bucket separating second and seventh.

Biggest difference could be behind the arc. We were a low-volume three-point shooting team. Making more there may spin the illusion that we're more offense-oriented, but I wouldn't expect a leap from 76.6.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

It is crazy to think that we hit 76 ppg last year... I always think of Coach Miller as being defense first... There is no reason that we can't top that this year.