USA Basketball - Live

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

USA Basketball - Live

Post by KaibabKat »

The USA squares off against Iran at 10:45 a.m. EDT. All of the USA games will be streamed live on youtube.com/fiba.
UAdevil

Re: USA Basketball - Live

Post by UAdevil »

"choot, choot, choot!"
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Not a grand start.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

thanks for the link!

caught some of the 2nd qtr. JJ9 is such a baller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What's the score
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

killer defense. CSM.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

33-22 USA
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Wouldn't mind seeing the Wildcats playing that pressing style for a change of pace, once in awhile. It would sure keep some Pac-12 coaches awake at night.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

zo back in
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

and one for zo!

... boink, nm
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

3rd qtr underway. jackson, bibbs, brunson, peak, and welsh on the floor for usa
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

It would certainly help if someone, anyone, could make a layup.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

ouch
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We definitely want Josh Jackson

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Giles is really really good
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:We definitely want Josh Jackson
kid is amazing
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Attendance - just a tad better than the average Tempe Normal home game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

83 - 53 usa final

nice game by JJ, tatum
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Zo still struggling? Jackson is most get!!!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Croatia up next & they are favored to win the whole shebang. Should be a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWUhV4DGpb8&app=desktop
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

USA puts up 58 in the first half to,lead by 19. Fun to watch. The Jackson kid is really good. Zo had a nice half.

Fun to hear Miller coach. Its like he is miked. Making every set call. They ran money 4 and money 5 which were AZ sets and worked every time.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jackson has 10 points, Trier with 9.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Alonzo's best game to date - by a wide margin. Whole team is looking very sharp.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Imagine trier and Jackson together on the 16/17 team.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

103 -81 USA wins
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KaibabKat wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing the Wildcats playing that pressing style for a change of pace, once in awhile. It would sure keep some Pac-12 coaches awake at night.
If Arizona were able to go 12 deep like this USA team is I'm sure he would be all for that pressing style. Let's see him play more than 8 guys in a game and then maybe we can have the chance of running that defense outside of end of game scenarios.
ASUHATER! wrote:Imagine trier and Jackson together on the 16/17 team.
I really hope Trier sticks it out for another year for that to happen. Ray Smith as a 6th man would be crazy.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

This year will still be good, but not the level of the last two years. But if we get Jackson and others and guys like trier and Smith stay around, 16/17 could be a juggernaut year.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:This year will still be good, but not the level of the last two years. But if we get Jackson and others and guys like trier and Smith stay around, 16/17 could be a juggernaut year.
Just spitballing here, but the lineup for that team could look something like this:

PG: PJC/Allen/Simon
SG: Trier/Allen/Simon/Fultz
SF: Jackson/Smith
PF: Leaf/Smith/Jackson
C: Ristic/Comanche
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

if we land Josh Jackson, the only thing in the way of us having a 2016/2017 Juggernaut will be the development of our bigs.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Sweet first half vs Croatia, a much better team than Iran.

Jackson, Trier and Tatum killed it.

Jackson was paying attention to D after a weaker first game D performance. His O was terrific and he's got his beast side going good. Oh, I hope we land Josh.

I like Terrance Ferguson's skills a lot. Very smoothly athletic and super quick. Smart. The best D on the floor in the first half today.. He's a CSM player for sure, but it looks like Kansas owns him and we've already piled up lots of SGs. And Ferguson is too good to be patient.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

JJ's been (deservedly) logging some serious minutes on the floor. assuming no changes from CSM, we'll really get to see what kind of motor JJ has on him over next several days -- final round of the group stage is tomorrow, then the guys get a day off, followed by the first round of knockouts, another off day, then three days straight through the finals (or through repechage). that's a heck of a lot of basketball in a short amount of time.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

dirtbags wrote:JJ's been (deservedly) logging some serious minutes on the floor. assuming no changes from CSM, we'll really get to see what kind of motor JJ has on him over next several days -- final round of the group stage is tomorrow, then the guys get a day off, followed by the first round of knockouts, another off day, then three days straight through the finals (or through repechage). that's a heck of a lot of basketball in a short amount of time.
My sense is Josh is high motor all the way, DB. He runs the floor beautifully, hangs in tough if he misses a close-in shot. When there's a break in play he walks quickly. Only thing I wonder about is whether he wants to play D, though I think Coach M had his attention against Croatia.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ASUHATER! wrote:Imagine trier and Jackson together on the 16/17 team.
I'm imagining!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

annnd Miller's squad wins the group outright with a 92-50 victory over egypt. JJ shooting 56% with 15.7pts / 8.3reb / 3.0stl per game and is the #4 player overall in efficiency. 'zo is averaging 10.7ppg and is hitting 79% of his shots from inside the arc. not too shabby.

usa's got argentina in the first round of knockouts tomorrow.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's so painfully obvious that Trier has never been really coached in high school or prior. There's a lot to like about the guy for sure, but there's going to be some major growing pains.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Thank goodness for the U19 Miller experience, then, because Allonzo's D otherwise would have us pulling our hair out.

It'll probably be why he doesn't start to begin the season. Great shooter, but won't matter if you're giving up easier buckets on the other end. Give me ftw right now:

PJC
York
Allen
Anderson
Zeus

Trier won't play over Elliott Pitts if he can't guard D-1 players every night. He wants to even be a sixth man in Miller's system, he's going to have to earn it.

It's my big concern about Ristic in the off-season, because he was pulled in more than one game last season for being defensively soft on the blocks--and we don't know yet how up to speed Tollefsen is, much less Comanche. Sure wish Craig Victor had stuck it out.

Call it an ulterior motive, but Miller knew Allonzo needed a much more structured game experience than in high school ASAP--something AAU and a growing number of varsity HS coaches don't give a crap about.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's so painfully obvious that Trier has never been really coached in high school or prior. There's a lot to like about the guy for sure, but there's going to be some major growing pains.
Findlay is a good level of prep for a high schooler. He was just always the best player. You get some leeway like that, because the player knows he isn't gonna get pulled. Things are different in college, because you're competing against guys who were also the best in high school and have more experience. The safety net of being the best and being unbenchable isn't there any more.

He'll adjust. Stanley did, Nick did, Ashley and Zeus did, Josiah di...wait, that isn't the best example.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:It's so painfully obvious that Trier has never been really coached in high school or prior. There's a lot to like about the guy for sure, but there's going to be some major growing pains.
Findlay is a good level of prep for a high schooler. He was just always the best player. You get some leeway like that, because the player knows he isn't gonna get pulled. Things are different in college, because you're competing against guys who were also the best in high school and have more experience. The safety net of being the best and being unbenchable isn't there any more.

He'll adjust. Stanley did, Nick did, Ashley and Zeus did, Josiah di...wait, that isn't the best example.
To be fair I only watched Findlay play in that National HS Championship on ESPN, but that was one of the worst coached teams I have ever seen. No offensive sets whatsoever, although they had a supposed elite point guard in Derryck Thornton who rarely to never passed the ball, and definitely no defense. Findlay is coached by a new guy who was an UNLV director of basketball operations or something similar. Granted the old coach who rose that program to power, Peck, came from the same background, his teams were much better coached. Findlay is what it is based on reputation alone at this point along with the ability to recruit high level prospects due to said name as well as location. As they are currently structured they do not develop players for the better at all IMO and are nothing more than an AAU program disguised as a school. Bad leadership will have that impact though.

Trier will adjust, but like I said just watch him, he's going to be a bit brutal to watch early on in the season. I do however think he starts from the get go unlike catgrad97.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Findlay Prep NV vs National Prep GA 2014 Tarkania…: http://youtu.be/ikHL_G5vhqA

As for the Montverde game, it was played at a quick tempo with pressure. Here's the game. If you think they have no plan, well, not compared to other high schools.

High School. Semifinal. Findlay Prep - Montverde …: http://youtu.be/MCA8IFWOUe8
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Findlay Prep NV vs National Prep GA 2014 Tarkania…: http://youtu.be/ikHL_G5vhqA

As for the Montverde game, it was played at a quick tempo with pressure. Here's the game. If you think they have no plan, well, not compared to other high schools.

Maybe I'm just not impressed with HS basketball at all lol. Honestly I watched both and nearly hurled at how terrible some supposed best teams in the nation play the game of basketball. I mean the most talented players display their talent, but good lord it's a nightmare from an actual basketball standpoint watching these games. They can't be getting any more coaching in HS than they do in the highly criticized AAU. As I mentioned earlier it's no surprise that Findlay's coach is a UNLV disciple based on the how bad his team plays as a unit regardless of the talent he has at his disposal.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

USA 49-20 over Argentina at the half. The improvement in the USA team in just one week is rather remarkable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Findlay Prep NV vs National Prep GA 2014 Tarkania…: http://youtu.be/ikHL_G5vhqA

Maybe I'm just not impressed with HS basketball at all lol. Honestly I watched both and nearly hurled at how terrible some supposed best teams in the nation play the game of basketball. I mean the most talented players display their talent, but good lord it's a nightmare from an actual basketball standpoint watching these games. They can't be getting any more coaching in HS than they do in the highly criticized AAU. As I mentioned earlier it's no surprise that Findlay's coach is a UNLV disciple based on the how bad his team plays as a unit regardless of the talent he has at his disposal.
Compare to Montverde. It's not like they had many more sets. It was a quick, scattered game on the whole.

Seriously, though, those teams are always national champ contenders. The execution and game plan of local teams isn't gonna be better. Having good players is the easiest way to be a really good coach. The Miami Heat didn't miss the playoffs this year because Erk Spolestra suddenly got dumber.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Jalen Brunson has really impressed me so far throughout the tournament. Also, just imagining Josh Jackson in an Arizona uniform nearly makes me swoon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hobbes wrote:Jalen Brunson has really impressed me so far throughout the tournament. Also, just imagining Josh Jackson in an Arizona uniform nearly makes me swoon.
Huh, I haven't been watching, but I wasn't blown away by Brunson in the allstar games. He looked solid, but not like a next level star.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

quarterfinals vs. italy will be broadcast live on ESPNU this morning at 8:15am PDT
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Hobbes wrote:Jalen Brunson has really impressed me so far throughout the tournament. Also, just imagining Josh Jackson in an Arizona uniform nearly makes me swoon.
Huh, I haven't been watching, but I wasn't blown away by Brunson in the allstar games. He looked solid, but not like a next level star.
I like his consistency. His mid range jumper is money, and he can penetrate and dish. I don't know if he will be an NBA star, but Villanova is lucky to have him.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

no trier today?

EDIT: nm - out with ankle injury from the argentina game
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »