Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: USA Basketball - Live

Post by 84Cat »

Oh my!

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

And who says CSM can't make the final 4???
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tyler Dorsey is on the Greek team we play tomorrow. How ridiculous is that?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

ChooChooCat wrote:Tyler Dorsey is on the Greek team we play tomorrow. How ridiculous is that?
He is half Greek, so really not that ridiculous.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

The box score indicated Trier didn't play. Anyone know why?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

carolinacat wrote:The box score indicated Trier didn't play. Anyone know why?
Look at the picture KaibabKat posted a few posts back. (ankle)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

carolinacat wrote:The box score indicated Trier didn't play. Anyone know why?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hobbes wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Tyler Dorsey is on the Greek team we play tomorrow. How ridiculous is that?
The fact that he got "dual citizenship" out of thin air sure is though.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

greek team playing Miller's guys tough. first #loudcrowd game for team usa. all tatum and brunson thus far; 'zo looking slightly lethargic.

confederate flag with the ofi crete shield spotted hanging in the rafters -- what's up with that?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Greece bombing away from 3. Hit 4 straight and they have cut it to 3. Crowd is really into it. USA not wearing them down as Greece is doing a good job against the press
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

greece is channeling elite 8 wisconsin right now
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

These announcers really want that Greece W
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Greek coach gets T 'd up twice on what were good calls by the refs.guess the first one was abench tech. Meanwhile neither team can hit there free throws.

Going into the fourth quarter USA leads by 4 after Trier turned it over on the last possesion for USA of the quarter and Greece hits another 3 at the buzzer. Miller is beside himself
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Alonzo Trier pretty much stunk up the joint for the entire game. 0 points, 0/2 FG's, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 rebound, 3 fouls, 4 turnovers - all in 15 minutes of PT. Would have done much better in the hot dog contest today.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did we win
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KaibabKat wrote:Alonzo Trier pretty much stunk up the joint for the entire game. 0 points, 0/2 FG's, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 rebound, 3 fouls, 4 turnovers - all in 15 minutes of PT. Would have done much better in the hot dog contest today.
Well he is trying get over a bad ankle from 2 games ago
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
Wha? If his mother is Greek he's probably had Greek citizenship since he was born...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller, USA one win from gold

http://tucson.com/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Croatia playing much better this time.

USA 34 Croatia 31 Halftime
-JB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:Croatia playing much better this time.

USA 34 Croatia 31 Halftime
What channel?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ESPNU
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

going down to the wire
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
az91

Post by az91 »

Tough game, will be interesting to see if the USA can make some shots in the paint.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nailbiter.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm still 2 minutes behind - phone calls. OT
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

USA, USA! Congrats to Coach Miller, Zo, and the rest of the team.
-JB
az91

Post by az91 »

USA and Miller win!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

nice win for the usa. croatia completely imploded in OT -- i might be mistaken, but i think they were scoreless until 42.9s left on the clock
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We really crapped the bed to end the 4th, but I love the energy we showed in OT. Great job by Miller and the team. Back to back gold medals!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

All in all a job very well done. All the players and coaches have something to treasure and be very proud of for the rest of their days.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
Wha? If his mother is Greek he's probably had Greek citizenship since he was born...
I mean if his mother was born in Greece sure, but I don't know if that's actually the case. Look sports are a dirty thing. You can create citizenship out of thin fricken air sometimes, just look at the U.S. Men's soccer team. Last summer olympics I remember there was a sand volleyball team of two guys from a nation that is good at the sport and they ended up participating for Jordan, when neither lived there.....ever. You want another example? Look at any athlete in the olympics that is participating for Qatar. They pay people to participate for them.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Just terrific the USA team brings this home!

Coach did a super job of bringing together a group of guys into a coherent group. The incremental change throughout the tourney, especially on D was very impressive. Congratulations Coach Sean Miller and guys!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I liked that Miller made a point of congratulating every one of his players before doing the same with the opponent. Players' program, baby.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
I mean if his mother was born in Greece sure, but I don't know if that's actually the case. Look sports are a dirty thing. You can create citizenship out of thin fricken air sometimes, just look at the U.S. Men's soccer team. Last summer olympics I remember there was a sand volleyball team of two guys from a nation that is good at the sport and they ended up participating for Jordan, when neither lived there.....ever. You want another example? Look at any athlete in the olympics that is participating for Qatar. They pay people to participate for them.
Yah, I know. Everything I've read points to his mother being a Greek national, but nothing states that explicitly. He probably picked up a passport earlier this year, so it's legal but ehhh...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That was a close game. Wear down in OT? :)

Some of the guys were driving me mad with their play. Really shows the uphill battle it is to coach in these situations.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Great article about this USA group and interesting comments from Miller on what pussies the other NCAA coaches are (not those words of course, but yeah...)
Miller's success here makes him a likely candidate for future USA Basketball appointments, but he has concerns about some of his college coaching peers' support of the national program.

Team USA relied on its super-young core out of necessity rather than choice, after a number of key 18- and 19-year-old American prospects turned down invites. This did not please Miller, who in recent years has made Arizona players Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Allonzo Trier available for U.S. tryouts.

"I feel like it's my obligation as the coach at Arizona, that if one my players is invited and he's healthy, and doesn't have an academic situation, that he has to go try out," Miller said. "It brings out the best in kids because they're pushed to the limit. ... But there are a number of programs, and coaches, that did not send one player who was invited. And I don't want to say anything negative about the team that we have, because we have a talented group, but we should never as a country be this inexperienced coming to a tournament of this magnitude.

"It's fundamentally wrong for us to bring a team over and not have a number of players that should be here, or should have tried out, and didn't."

The U.S. starting lineup might have been completely different had all of the nation's talent been available. Miller didn't name names, but it wasn't difficult to deduce who was missing, including Duke's stable of four top-25 freshmen (Brandon Ingram, Chase Jeter, Derryk Thornton and Luke Kennard); Cal's top-five wing, Jaylen Brown; and Maryland's incoming five-star center, Diamond Stone. The Americans still won gold, but the relying-on-17-year-olds model isn't sustainable over the long term.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... arry-giles
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Heard Miller got T'd up in one of the games. Almost got another in the final but he kept his cool
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ChooChooCat wrote:Great article about this USA group and interesting comments from Miller on what pussies the other NCAA coaches are (not those words of course, but yeah...)
Miller's success here makes him a likely candidate for future USA Basketball appointments, but he has concerns about some of his college coaching peers' support of the national program.

Team USA relied on its super-young core out of necessity rather than choice, after a number of key 18- and 19-year-old American prospects turned down invites. This did not please Miller, who in recent years has made Arizona players Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Allonzo Trier available for U.S. tryouts.

"I feel like it's my obligation as the coach at Arizona, that if one my players is invited and he's healthy, and doesn't have an academic situation, that he has to go try out," Miller said. "It brings out the best in kids because they're pushed to the limit. ... But there are a number of programs, and coaches, that did not send one player who was invited. And I don't want to say anything negative about the team that we have, because we have a talented group, but we should never as a country be this inexperienced coming to a tournament of this magnitude.

"It's fundamentally wrong for us to bring a team over and not have a number of players that should be here, or should have tried out, and didn't."

The U.S. starting lineup might have been completely different had all of the nation's talent been available. Miller didn't name names, but it wasn't difficult to deduce who was missing, including Duke's stable of four top-25 freshmen (Brandon Ingram, Chase Jeter, Derryk Thornton and Luke Kennard); Cal's top-five wing, Jaylen Brown; and Maryland's incoming five-star center, Diamond Stone. The Americans still won gold, but the relying-on-17-year-olds model isn't sustainable over the long term.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... arry-giles
I love it and I think these kids want to play for the USA teams. This may help in recruiting them to arizona because miller will let them try out. Shit we need to just send the UA team like the Kansas team did for the WCG.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Heard Miller got T'd up in one of the games. Almost got another in the final but he kept his cool
The youtube I watched had such a dead crowd that you could hear him yelling at the refs.

The reffing was a joke, for what it's worth. It was good prep for the Pac 12 season for Trier.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Heard Miller got T'd up in one of the games. Almost got another in the final but he kept his cool
The youtube I watched had such a dead crowd that you could hear him yelling at the refs.

The reffing was a joke, for what it's worth. It was good prep for the Pac 12 season for Trier.
The first few games that were streamed on YouTube are worth watching just to hear Miller on the sidelines. The things he says to the refs are absolutely amazing.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Duke's arrogance and Martin's ego concerning Miller shows up once again. Miller wins inspite of their attitude