UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wooden tournament bracket revealed. We open with Santa Clara at 9:30 pm Tucson time on November 26th on espn2. We then play the winner of providence/evansville. Other side of the bracket is Boston college/Michigan state and uc Irvine/Boise state.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =210253116
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Insert posts here about Larry Scott, complaining about the tip off time, unknowledgeable announcers, Bill Walton, refs trying to screw Arizona, etc.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
HiCat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by HiCat »

Ranking the Most Drastic Offseason Makeovers Ahead of the 2015-16 CBB Season
By Kerry Miller , College Basketball National Columnist Aug 20, 2015

7. Arizona Wildcats

2014-15 Winning Percentage: 89.5

Percentage of Points Lost: 63.9

Players Lost: Stanley Johnson (523 points), Brandon Ashley (465 points), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (427 points), T.J. McConnell (395 points), Matt Korcheck (26 points), Craig Victor (25 points)

Key Players Gained: Allonzo Trier (5-star freshman), Ray Smith (5-star freshman), Ryan Anderson (Boston College transfer), Mark Tollefsen (San Francisco transfer), Kadeem Allen (redshirt JUCO transfer), Justin Simon (4-star freshman), Chance Comanche (4-star freshman)

It's been a hot minute since we encountered a team on the list that isn't all but doomed to a substantially worse season than it just experienced, but Arizona just might pick up where it left off, despite losing all four of its leading scorers.

Such are the perks of adding four great freshmen and three talented transfers to a list of returning players who already could have made a decent starting five.

That's right. Somehow, after losing four double-digit scorers, the Wildcats will be so deep as to have a 12th man who would be a starter on most rosters.

Will they look different? Absolutely. Gabe York, Kaleb Tarczewski and, to a lesser extent, Elliott Pitts are the only returning players that we saw a good amount of last season. Ryan Anderson, Mark Tollefsen, Kadeem Allen and Allonzo Trier have yet to play a minute for the Wildcats, but they will probably each finish the season in the top seven on the roster in points scored.

In Arizona's case, change probably isn't going to be a bad thing. We may not be familiar with most of the faces, but the Wildcats should be in their familiar position of an entire season spent in the AP Top 25.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2550 ... on/page/16
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sam Vecenie (CBS Sports) mailbag:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... his-season

Q: What are the keys for a great Arizona Wildcats season? - Dave Farley

A: I did a Pac-12 preview earlier this summer and still had Arizona on top of the league despite California and Oregon possessing more talented rosters offensively. Why is that? Honestly, it mostly has to do with trust in Sean Miller getting this deep, multi-faceted roster to play together on both ends.

It's fair to expect a drop-off on defense given who Arizona lost this offseason. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell were very much elite collegiate defenders. Stanley Johnson was also an elite defender when he was fully engaged, and Brandon Ashley was a big part of their pick-and-roll defense with his mobility and ability to hedge out on the perimeter. Still though, Miller is one of the best defensive coaches in the country, so you'd think they should be able at least carve out an above-average defense this year.

But because it might not be one of the top-three units in America this year, the key for the Cats will be getting more consistent offense. They relied an awful lot last season on McConnell to get them shots late in the offense, and he's gone now. The offense could really bog down though due to a lack of spacing when defenses keyed on him last year.

I'd look for two guys particularly to tell the story as to whether or not the offense will be good enough to make up for what could be a defensive drop off. First, Allonzo Trier was one of the best pure scorers in last year's recruiting class, and he'll be counted on to take on a heavy load while still taking better, more efficient looks than he did at times before getting to Arizona. It's not out of the question for him to lead the Pac-12 in scoring. Second, Kadeem Allen is a guy that people around the program have been excited about since he arrived on campus after winning JUCO Player of the Year in 2014. He's a 6-3 guard who will guard both the 1 and 2, but he's at his best on offense. He can really break down defenses from the perimeter, shoot a little bit from the outside, and he is also terrific at getting into transition. The jury's still out on him just due to a lack of track record at the high-Division I level, but if he can be the big-time player that many expect him to be the Wildcats should be fine. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention their two big incoming transfers, Ryan Anderson from Boston College and Mark Tollefson from San Francisco. Both of these guys can step out and knock down jumpers, giving them a bit more of a spacing dimension than they had last year.

Overall, the Wildcats could be a more consistent offensive team this year due to better spacing and shooting. But will it be enough to make up for the departing talent? That's still a question that needs answering.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:Insert posts here about Larry Scott, complaining about the tip off time, unknowledgeable announcers, Bill Walton, refs trying to screw Arizona, etc.
Redundant.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good Pascoe interview with Miller in today's Star. Can't seem to log back in to grab link. Anyway, he has high praise for Ryan Anderson for hard work (reshaped his body) and leadership. Says he's not had a guy as willing to reach out to newcomers and lead while at Arizona. He is well liked by teammates.

Says Ray Smith is a bouncier Solo Hill. To play small forward and some 4.

Thinks our best days will be in February and March.

Trier a willing learner. Natural scorer who wants to work on rest of game. Likes that Anderson and Tollefsen gives team three guys who are Kaleb's age.

Oh, and he's considering doing some recruiting soon, but he wants to binge-watch "The Gilmore Girls" first. I dunno. Going soft!
biggles

Post by biggles »

gumby wrote:Good Pascoe interview with Miller in today's Star. Can't seem to log back in to grab link. Anyway, he has high praise for Ryan Anderson for hard work (reshaped his body) and leadership. Says he's not had a guy as willing to reach out to newcomers and lead while at Arizona. He is well liked by teammates.

Says Ray Smith is a bouncier Solo Hill. To play small forward and some 4.

Thinks our best days will be in February and March.

Trier a willing learner. Natural scorer who wants to work on rest of game. Likes that Anderson and Tollefsen gives team three guys who are Kaleb's age.

Oh, and he's considering doing some recruiting soon, but he wants to binge-watch "The Gilmore Girls" first. I dunno. Going soft!
Here's the link:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... f15dd.html
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sean Miller uses indirect object pronouns as subjects. Me wanted you all to know that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:Sam Vecenie (CBS Sports) mailbag:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... his-season

Q: What are the keys for a great Arizona Wildcats season? - Dave Farley

A: I did a Pac-12 preview earlier this summer and still had Arizona on top of the league despite California and Oregon possessing more talented rosters offensively. Why is that? Honestly, it mostly has to do with trust in Sean Miller getting this deep, multi-faceted roster to play together on both ends.

It's fair to expect a drop-off on defense given who Arizona lost this offseason. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell were very much elite collegiate defenders. Stanley Johnson was also an elite defender when he was fully engaged, and Brandon Ashley was a big part of their pick-and-roll defense with his mobility and ability to hedge out on the perimeter. Still though, Miller is one of the best defensive coaches in the country, so you'd think they should be able at least carve out an above-average defense this year.

But because it might not be one of the top-three units in America this year, the key for the Cats will be getting more consistent offense. They relied an awful lot last season on McConnell to get them shots late in the offense, and he's gone now. The offense could really bog down though due to a lack of spacing when defenses keyed on him last year.

I'd look for two guys particularly to tell the story as to whether or not the offense will be good enough to make up for what could be a defensive drop off. First, Allonzo Trier was one of the best pure scorers in last year's recruiting class, and he'll be counted on to take on a heavy load while still taking better, more efficient looks than he did at times before getting to Arizona. It's not out of the question for him to lead the Pac-12 in scoring. Second, Kadeem Allen is a guy that people around the program have been excited about since he arrived on campus after winning JUCO Player of the Year in 2014. He's a 6-3 guard who will guard both the 1 and 2, but he's at his best on offense. He can really break down defenses from the perimeter, shoot a little bit from the outside, and he is also terrific at getting into transition. The jury's still out on him just due to a lack of track record at the high-Division I level, but if he can be the big-time player that many expect him to be the Wildcats should be fine. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention their two big incoming transfers, Ryan Anderson from Boston College and Mark Tollefson from San Francisco. Both of these guys can step out and knock down jumpers, giving them a bit more of a spacing dimension than they had last year.

Overall, the Wildcats could be a more consistent offensive team this year due to better spacing and shooting. But will it be enough to make up for the departing talent? That's still a question that needs answering.
Sam needs to talk to his buddy at CBS, Rothstein who has the Cats at third in the PAC, and possibly sliding to 4th or 5th. Cause, ya know, Oregon and Cal with all that talent and proven track records and all.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Defenses keyed on TJ last year?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Allen is also not an outside shooter. He only shot 30% 3 point shots against JC competition.

Trier will also not lead the PAC in scoring. It's doubtful he will even start over York. His defense was also suspect in the U-19s.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Defenses keyed on TJ last year?
At times, absolutely.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Must have been the games I missed or was inebriated. I saw it in a few instances, but never to a level where it looked like that was the game plan (other than sag off TJ and make him shoot from outside). I remember it being in-game adjustments the few times I saw it.

RHJ was the most responsible for killing spacing last year. AG the year before.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Sean Miller uses indirect object pronouns as subjects. Me wanted you all to know that.
KenPom notes that coaches who do this increase their chances of winning.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Almost positive that this will be the best offensive team in the Miller Era.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:Must have been the games I missed or was inebriated. I saw it in a few instances, but never to a level where it looked like that was the game plan (other than sag off TJ and make him shoot from outside). I remember it being in-game adjustments the few times I saw it.

RHJ was the most responsible for killing spacing last year. AG the year before.
Not sure he meant that this was the game plan. Just a good idea as the clock wound down, because he was the guy who would bail us out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Almost positive that this will be the best offensive team in the Miller Era.
I think it'll be a good one and one that definitely won't have spacing issues unlike the recent past, but we had a great offense last year efficiency wise and I don't see this team matching that, especially if the rumored starting lineup is accurate. This team will probably be very similar to the Lyons team outside of the heat checking point guard.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

When will the full schedule be released?

When are season tickets delivered?

I is excited
gumby

Post by gumby »

Today. Just have to ask nicely.
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/SportSel ... M_ID=30700
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No games east of Tucson the first 25 real games!

That's Duke worthy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lots of early game times
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sat, Oct 17 Red-Blue Game TBA TBA Pac-12 Networks (D)
Sun, Nov 08 Chico State (Exhibition) Tucson, AZ 6:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Fri, Nov 13 Pacific Tucson, AZ 7:30 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Mon, Nov 16 Bradley Tucson, AZ 6:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Thu, Nov 19 Boise State (DirecTV Wooden Legacy) Tucson, AZ 6:30 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sun, Nov 22 Northwestern State Tucson, AZ 6:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Thu, Nov 26 DirecTV Wooden Legacy - Game 1 vs. Santa Clara at Fullerton, CA 9:30 p.m. ESPN2
Fri, Nov 27 DirecTV Wooden Legacy - Game 2 vs. Providence or Evansville Fullerton, CA TBA ESPNU or ESPN2
Sun, Nov 29 DirecTV Wooden Legacy - Game 3 Anaheim, CA TBA ESPNU or ESPN2
Sat, Dec 05 Gonzaga at Spokane, WA 1:15 p.m. ESPN
Wed, Dec 09 Fresno State Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sun, Dec 13 Missouri Tucson, AZ 6:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Wed, Dec 16 Northern Arizona Tucson, AZ 8:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sat, Dec 19 UNLV Tucson, AZ 7:30 p.m. ESPN2
Tue, Dec 22 Long Beach State Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sun, Jan 03 Arizona State at Tempe, AZ 12:00 p.m. FOX Sports 1
Thu, Jan 07 UCLA at Los Angeles, CA 7:00 p.m. ESPN or ESPN2
Sat, Jan 09 USC at Los Angeles, CA 5:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Thu, Jan 14 Washington Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. FOX Sports 1
Sat, Jan 16 Washington State Tucson, AZ 7:30 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Thu, Jan 21 Stanford at Stanford, CA 9:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sat, Jan 23 California at Berkeley, CA TBA ESPN or ESPN2
Thu, Jan 28 Oregon Tucson, AZ 9:00 p.m. ESPN2
Sat, Jan 30 Oregon State Tucson, AZ 7:30 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Wed, Feb 03 Washington State at Pullman, WA 8:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Sat, Feb 06 Washington at Seattle, WA 2:30 p.m. FOX
Fri, Feb 12 UCLA Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN
Sun, Feb 14 USC Tucson, AZ 6:00 p.m. FOX Sports 1
Wed, Feb 17 Arizona State Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN2
Wed, Feb 24 Colorado at Boulder, CO 7:00 p.m. ESPN2
Sat, Feb 27 Utah at Salt Lake City, UT TBA ESPN or ESPN2
Thu, Mar 03 California Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN or ESPN2
Sat, Mar 05 Stanford Tucson, AZ 2:00 p.m. CBS
Wed, Mar 09 2016 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament - First Round Las Vegas, NV All Day Pac-12 Network
Thu, Mar 10 2016 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament - Quarterfinals Las Vegas, NV All Day Pac-12 Network
Fri, Mar 11 2016 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament - Semifinal Las Vegas, NV 7:00 p.m. Pac-12 Network
Fri, Mar 11 2016 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament - Semifinal Las Vegas, NV 9:30 p.m. FOX Sports 1
Sat, Mar 12 2016 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament - Championship Las Vegas, NV 8:00 p.m. FOX Sports 1
Tue, Mar 15 NCAA First Four Dayton, OH All Day
Thu, Mar 17 NCAA First Round TBA All Day
Sat, Mar 19 NCAA Second Round TBA All Day
Thu, Mar 24 NCAA Regional Semifinals TBA All Day
Sat, Mar 26 NCAA Regional Championship TBA All Day
Sat, Apr 02 NCAA National Semifinals Houston, TX All Day
Mon, Apr 04 NCAA National Championship Houston, TX All Day
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Only one day/afternoon home game the whole season. Only 6/18 home games are even before 7 Tucson/9 Eastern
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Almost positive that this will be the best offensive team in the Miller Era.
I think it'll be a good one and one that definitely won't have spacing issues unlike the recent past, but we had a great offense last year efficiency wise and I don't see this team matching that, especially if the rumored starting lineup is accurate. This team will probably be very similar to the Lyons team outside of the heat checking point guard.
I don't see this team being better than the 12-13 team offensively honestly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:No games east of Tucson the first 25 real games!

That's Duke worthy.
Let's hope for the same outcome.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The 15 programs best positioned to succeed over the next five years
4. ARIZONA WILDCATS

Outlook: Sean Miller has signed a top-six recruiting class each of the past five years, according to 247Sports, and won the Pac-12 each of the past two seasons while making the Elite Eight both times. Translation: Miller is dominating west of the Mississippi, and the only thing that could derail what he has going at Arizona would be if an A-level job opened east of the Mississippi and made an offer that lured him closer to his Pennsylvania roots.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... five-years
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event wrote:The 15 programs best positioned to succeed over the next five years
4. ARIZONA WILDCATS

Outlook: Sean Miller has signed a top-six recruiting class each of the past five years, according to 247Sports, and won the Pac-12 each of the past two seasons while making the Elite Eight both times. Translation: Miller is dominating west of the Mississippi, and the only thing that could derail what he has going at Arizona would be if an A-level job opened east of the Mississippi and made an offer that lured him closer to his Pennsylvania roots.

Never heard anything about Miller moving closer to PA. He hates the cold weather, or so he said when he moved over from Xavier. Didn't 97 say that only UNC holds his interest?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Main Event wrote:The 15 programs best positioned to succeed over the next five years
4. ARIZONA WILDCATS

Never heard anything about Miller moving closer to PA. He hates the cold weather, or so he said when he moved over from Xavier. Didn't 97 say that only UNC holds his interest?
And Ohio State I believe.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I don't see this team being better than the 12-13 team offensively honestly.
I do.

Last year the offense was good, and it's actually been pretty good for a while now. This year the offense will be good, it's more of a defensive slip that I am worried about. You can't lose what AZ has in the past couple of years, and not expect a bit of a dip.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I've already accepted we're not going to be nearly as good defensively especially if we're really throwing out PJC-Gabe-Tollefsen on the perimeter to start. Offensively we'll probably shoot it better but we're not getting to the line nearly as much as we did last year and we're asking a lot from PJC to create for guys who haven't shown they can create offense for themselves consistently.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:I've already accepted we're not going to be nearly as good defensively especially if we're really throwing out PJC-Gabe-Tollefsen on the perimeter to start. Offensively we'll probably shoot it better but we're not getting to the line nearly as much as we did last year and we're asking a lot from PJC to create for guys who haven't shown they can create offense for themselves consistently.
You may have a point about getting to the line, but I doubt the dropoff will be as much. I don't think we are suddenly going to become a perimeter team, and I would expect Zeus to get the ball inside more often (insert smartass comment about his hands). I don't have data in front of me about how the FT's compare year to year to year, but I am guessing they are pretty consistent year in and year out based on the sets that the coaching staff uses.

Defensively, I said I was concerned more than offense, but I am really not that concerned. I mean, we will likely still be a top 20 defensive team by the end of the year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

'12-'13 we were 10th in offensive efficiency and 47th in defensive efficiency. I expect finishing something very similar to that in both departments.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

ChooChooCat wrote:'12-'13 we were 10th in offensive efficiency and 47th in defensive efficiency. I expect finishing something very similar to that in both departments.
I don't think that MIller will fall out of the top 20 in defensive efficiency from here on out. The team this year is much deeper and is more talented than the '12-'13 team imo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Airizona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:'12-'13 we were 10th in offensive efficiency and 47th in defensive efficiency. I expect finishing something very similar to that in both departments.
I don't think that MIller will fall out of the top 20 in defensive efficiency from here on out. The team this year is much deeper and is more talented than the '12-'13 team imo
Miller can be as much of a wonder coach on defense as humanly possible, but that doesn't mean he's not at the mercy of the talent he has on his team. Honestly who will defend the other team's best backcourt player or wing player? We had an easy obvious answer for that the past 2 years and sometimes we had 2-3 answers for that question. Next year's team???
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Airizona wrote:
Miller can be as much of a wonder coach on defense as humanly possible, but that doesn't mean he's not at the mercy of the talent he has on his team. Honestly who will defend the other team's best backcourt player or wing player? We had an easy obvious answer for that the past 2 years and sometimes we had 2-3 answers for that question. Next year's team???
We have a ton of talent. Maybe they won't be as good as rondae, but Tollefsen (sp) Ray Smith Justin Simon Kadeem Allen all could be great defenders
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Airizona wrote:
That's the beauty of the pack line though. You can have a high performing defense with only above average athletes, as long as everyone is doing what they are supposed to. In a way it masks deficiencies. Now, will we always be a suffocating top-5 bunch? Maybe not, but yea top 20 seems achievable easy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Airizona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Airizona wrote:
We have a ton of talent. Maybe they won't be as good as rondae, but Tollefsen (sp) Ray Smith Justin Simon Kadeem Allen all could be great defenders
Yeah. Rondae was/is an elite defender. 6'7 guys with speed and long arms like that don't come along often. But all the guys you've listed can get there.

I think it's foolish to expect that we won't skip a beat defensively, but we do have depth, maybe more than last season. If Miller uses his bench more than he normally does, we should be able to outlast teams with shorter benches. Not sure which Pac team has the best bench this year.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Airizona wrote:
More than one way to skin a cat. Maybe we've got no Rondae, but Rondae was not fear-inducing on the offensive end. He was efficient, which was great, but IMO he didn't create a huge amount of opportunity. He delivered on the opportunities that arose for sure, though. You put a Ray Smith or an Allonzo Trier in there you get a whole different dynamic.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

threenumberones wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Airizona wrote:
That's the beauty of the pack line though. You can have a high performing defense with only above average athletes, as long as everyone is doing what they are supposed to. In a way it masks deficiencies. Now, will we always be a suffocating top-5 bunch? Maybe not, but yea top 20 seems achievable easy.
This.

Moreso from the point that the expectations are that other teams will play stout defense while suffering similar losses. Nobody expects Virginia to not play stout defense, as they shouldn't with a Miller coached team.

The good news is that offensively the team will be good.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Olsondogg wrote:
Main Event wrote:I've already accepted we're not going to be nearly as good defensively especially if we're really throwing out PJC-Gabe-Tollefsen on the perimeter to start. Offensively we'll probably shoot it better but we're not getting to the line nearly as much as we did last year and we're asking a lot from PJC to create for guys who haven't shown they can create offense for themselves consistently.
You may have a point about getting to the line, but I doubt the dropoff will be as much. I don't think we are suddenly going to become a perimeter team, and I would expect Zeus to get the ball inside more often (insert smartass comment about his hands). I don't have data in front of me about how the FT's compare year to year to year, but I am guessing they are pretty consistent year in and year out based on the sets that the coaching staff uses.

Defensively, I said I was concerned more than offense, but I am really not that concerned. I mean, we will likely still be a top 20 defensive team by the end of the year.
Defensive Efficiency
14-15: 3rd
13-14: 1st
12-13: 47th
11-12: 41st
10-11: 88th

If we're a top 20 team defensively next year go ahead and build him a statue
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Defensive Efficiency

Help me out with your reasoning skills here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Defensive Efficiency

Yeah top 20 is so achievable, any team that runs the pack line can do it. Just look at the empirical evidence! Should we post Xavier's adjD over Miller's last 3 years too while we're at it? It certainly won't be pretty for you top 20 defense crowd. We can also talk about the last two Wisconsin teams, while we're at it.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Olsondogg wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Defensive Efficiency

Help me out with your reasoning skills here.
We were never a top 20 team defensively until we had great defensive players even with the packline, all of them are gone. So....
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Cool. Good to know you've already accurately predicted the skills of several players yet to actually suit up and play, as well as nailed what the metrics of a season yet to be played are. Fantastic stuff.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Cool. Good to know you've already accurately predicted the skills of several players yet to actually suit up and play, as well as nailed what the metrics of a season yet to be played are. Fantastic stuff.
PJC
York
Tollefsen
Anderson
Zeus

That's the likely starting 5. Which one is a mystery in their defensive abilities at this point in their careers outside of maybe our 5'8 PG who will be a tad deficient defensively solely due to his lack of stature naturally. The rest all have ridiculous amount of experience and aren't exactly known as defensive specialists outside of maybe Zeus, which his defensive ability is debatable honestly.

In regards to the young guys only one has any hype as a defender (Simon) and his playing time at this point is a major question mark.

Top 20 defense here we come.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Cool. Good to know you've already accurately predicted the skills of several players yet to actually suit up and play, as well as nailed what the metrics of a season yet to be played are. Fantastic stuff.
PJC
York
Tollefsen
Anderson
Zeus

That's the likely starting 5. Which one is a mystery in their defensive abilities at this point in their careers outside of maybe our 5'8 PG who will be a tad deficient defensively solely due to his lack of stature naturally. The rest all have ridiculous amount of experience and aren't exactly known as defensive specialists outside of maybe Zeus, which his defensive ability is debatable honestly.

In regards to the young guys only one has any hype as a defender (Simon) and his playing time at this point is a major question mark.

ahaha the bolded is the funniest thing I've read today, I'm sure Miller doesn't know what he is talking about when he constantly touts Zeus' defensive abilities. You should talk with Miller and let him know.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PJC
York
Tollefsen
Anderson
Zeus

That's the likely starting 5. Which one is a mystery in their defensive abilities at this point in their careers outside of maybe our 5'8 PG who will be a tad deficiency defensively solely due to his lack of stature naturally. The rest all have ridiculous amount of experience and aren't exactly known as defensive specialists.

I like your reasoning as well, never having seen this "likely starting 5" ever play together, never seen them in practice together, never watched a game, practice, or anything resembling game play. Futhermore, you have already grasped the 2015-16 college basketball landscape that has yet to even start, enough to know for a fact that Arizona can't possibly be good at defense, based on prior years and prior programs. You've used what you've read from others enough to form an opinion to ridicule others that feel that, while not as good, AZ will still be one of the better teams in the country--defensively speaking.

I applaud you on your brilliance. We should all strive to be as amazing as you, and hopefully as condescending as well.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PJC
York
Tollefsen
Anderson
Zeus

Also, where do you get your info? Just whatever sounds good is your info?

Go ahead and read what Miller had to say about Tollefsen... "He's really adept on defense"

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 2f947.html

And both Kadeem Allen and Ray Smith could be great defenders as well....maybe Trier
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I'm definitely a homer, but I really think this upcoming team is going to be very versatile, very deep, and has an extremely high upside.

Tarc, Anderson, Tollefsen, and Ristic comprise an uber-experienced front court with some serious skills. Experienced big men in college are gold...Tarc and Anderson should dominate.

PJC, York, and Allen all bring their own experience as well...Allen could easily be a go-to guy for us, or he could end up merely being a serviceable body at this level of competition. Still, I like the experience yet again and the high scoring upside with Allen.

Then the real wild-cards are the 5* freshman. Simon, Smith, and Trier are going to provide energy, scoring, and I guarantee at least one of Simon or Smith with their length steps up on D to give us the perimeter defense we'll need towards the end of the year.

Gordon, RHJ, Stanley were all amazing as freshman, especially on defense. If Smith or Simon can give us a fraction of that we'll be more than okay.

I realize I didn't say much here, and alot needs to play out as practice begins and Miller starts molding this group...but I really feel the pieces are there for a major run in the P12 and tourney. I just love the balance/mix, experience, and upside of this team. Gonna be a fun season.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Was this reply to me?