3goggles

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by 3goggles »

It's early but is it safe to say TJ has been the best out TJ, SJ and RHJ
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

threenumberones wrote:http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-phi ... ocid=yahoo
More importantly, McConnell has developed a rapport with Noel and Okafor. The rookie guard texts videos of Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire running the pick-and-roll to Noel with the implied message of, “That could be us.” McConnell also watches film with Noel and has been able to run some pick-and-rolls with both big men.
I like what he's doing..it's smart. No surprise.
Was going to jump on to post that. Great article, and several articles talking about his early rapport with those guys. Very smart dude. Also, a cool tidbit from the same article, TJ is only the second player in 76ers history to record at least 12 assists in 23 minutes or less (Mo Cheeks, 1981).

He has definitely earned a shot at starting until their other points get healthy. Canaan has been terrible and there is no flow to that offense when he is in the game. TJ fits exactly into what Brown wants out there.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jefe wrote:I watched the whole game as well, he is getting extremely comfortable and it is fun to watch. Had they played him the entire 4Q they might have won that game. They were down 20 when he checked back in and 3 minutes later it was a 6pt game.
Yep. And it wasn't like he was running the floor with thoroughbreds. Remember them panning over to Lebron on the Cavs bench when they got it down to six? You could see, "F---, this dude's gonna make me have to come back in" written all over his face.
Chicat wrote:Talked to a buddy who is a lifelong Sixers fan (since the Moses Malone years) and fashions himself an insider because a few media types and people in the organization follow him on Twitter. Anyway, he told me tonight that the front office LOVES McConnell and there are some who see him as the perfect PG for the team not only today but as the lynchpin of a future Eastern Conference champ.
That's awesome.
In re UofA wrote:McConnell feeds the post better than any guard on their roster. He has a great rapport with Okafor on the floor. I also like how he sets up jump shooters at the arc, and leads Noel when he is crashing the lane after rolling off the pick with good bounce passes.

It will be interesting 1) to see if teams adjust in the coming weeks, and 2) whether McConnell gets more floor time when the starters are more often on the floor. I think his minutes were primarily logged against the Cavs' second squad with a bit of overlap.

As an aside, I wonder what convos he had with Richard Jefferson. Two eras converging.
Yep. And that's invaluable when the team is built around three top of the lottery big men. As for the adjusting, I think coaches will take notice of his tendencies and tell their guys they need to be getting back quickly on D when he is in. The good thing with TJ is, he has that spring full court most of the time, whether off an outlet off a rebound, him getting the board himself, and even on made baskets. He is getting to good spots and finding the best lanes to penetrate to dish or create for himself, and he is getting that pick and roll going.

Teams may start to sag a little and duck under on pick and rolls, but there is better spacing in the NBA than the college ranks, so I don't think it will slow things down too much. Plus, these guys are getting more playing time with TJ and you can see them picking up their pace so they can keep up with him. It's easy buckets for them. I remember when teams used to sag off Rondo, it helped a little, but he was still playing at an all star level, and those Celtics teams preferred to operate in a half-court offense and didn't play at the same pace as Brown wants these 76ers to play. TJ has a better shot than Rondo did as well, midrange or three. Rondo was a liability to shoot anything outside of a layup for years. As for him getting more minutes against starters, I don't see that as an issue. The opponents will be stronger, but TJ is a guy who gets even better when he has better players around him.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

3goggles wrote:It's early but is it safe to say TJ has been the best out TJ, SJ and RHJ
PER through 11/3/2015:

14.9 T.J. McConnell
11.3 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
7.9 Stanley Johnson
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A benefit of staying all four (or 5) years :)

You can see the potential with both RHJ and Stanley, but you also get to see quite a bit more "rookie" moments. My favorite thus far was Rondae dribbling the air out of the ball near his own basket and seemingly forgetting Kawhi Leonard is the best defender in the league. Loose handle, Kawhi Leonard, bad combination. In case anyone missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvQpPtOdOI" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley had a beautiful drive to the hoop the other night. Got stuck mid air with no options so he threw it up and hit the bottom of the backboard.
In re UofA wrote:As an aside, I wonder what convos he had with Richard Jefferson. Two eras converging.
Thanks for the gym, RJ!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

TJ TRIPLE DOUBLE WATCH!

5 pts, 6 assists, 4 boards in 15 min of playing time. 2 mins left in the first half. GET 'EM TJ!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Got the start tonight
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Got the start tonight
Yup, up to 7/7/6 in 22 minutes
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

It's crazy that, as a Celts fan, I'm considering purchasing NBA league pass so that I can watch the Sixers every night. I don't think I've ever wanted a player to succeed more than I do TJM
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

"Another dime, 7, 7 and 8 now. Still only the one turnover with the 2nd quarter expiring. 76ers are clicking on offense and up on the road. This starting spot is TJs to lose now, Wroten cant do this.

Edit: Canaan comes in and the Bucks immediately go on a 9-0 run and cant find a good shot, coming up empty on five straight possessions. Hilarious
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What channel?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:What channel?
Fox sports Wisconsin and Comcast sports net Philadelphia
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Irish27

Re: Someone is not a fan of TJ's

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote: For the second time this summer, bad point guard play by TJ McConnell turned what should have been an easy Sixers win into a come-from-behind loss. Tonight was TJ's worst game yet, and quite a few times he didn't even bother to pass the ball to his teammates. McConnell's atrocious performance in all aspects offensively -other than the handful of shots he made- ruined an amazing offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin and solid offensive performances by Charles Jackson and JP Tokoto. There is no way any sane person could argue that TJ did not cost the Sixers this game tonight. It was plain as day. With that said, let's get into the individual performances against the Knicks.
DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN AS BAD POINT GUARD PLAY BY TJ MCCONNELL COSTS THE SIXERS ANOTHER CLOSE GAME
July 14, 2015image descriptionby phillyfansince88

TJ runs the offense the right way?
Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
For the second time this summer, bad point guard play by TJ McConnell turned what should have been an easy Sixers win into a come-from-behind loss. Tonight was TJ's worst game yet, and quite a few times he didn't even bother to pass the ball to his teammates. McConnell's atrocious performance in all aspects offensively -other than the handful of shots he made- ruined an amazing offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin and solid offensive performances by Charles Jackson and JP Tokoto. There is no way any sane person could argue that TJ did not cost the Sixers this game tonight. It was plain as day. With that said, let's get into the individual performances against the Knicks.

floor and made some on-point passes off of dribble penetration. You really can't ask for more than that from this kid but at the same time you shouldn't accept less. This is exactly what Scotty is capable of.

Ugly

TJ McConnell- The Sixers' first offensive possession of the game pretty much made it clear how TJ was going to play tonight. He threw a bad lob to JaKarr Sampson that could have easily injured him rather than passing him the ball as he was diving to the hoop. I can tell you for a fact that pretty much every single decent player I have ever played with in pickup games in the Philadelphia area can easily throw that pass on a laser exactly when it's supposed to be thrown rather than settling for throwing a lob. If you can't do that, you do not belong in the NBA. Period. If you are 6'4" and yet pretty much always throw the kind of bounce passes undersized point guards throw, you do not belong in the NBA. It is not the least bit difficult to throw one handed passes on target whether they are in the air or bounce passes. Any decent player can do that in his sleep. I have yet to see TJ do that even once. There is no way a 6'4" player is physically incapable of making passes off the standing dribble or of changing direction without over-dribbling or all of these things TJ should be able to do yet doesn't. On another play, he basically rolled a pass to Jahlil Okafor that Okafor luckily was able to get control of. You never, ever roll a pass to a big man with other players around, and if you're throwing a bounce pass into the paint it better be strong and on target. That's Basketball 101. TJ drove into the paint for his own offense for a large part of the game and when he couldn't score, either dribbled back out or threw a completely unnecessarily difficult and off-the-mark pass. He was the reason some of his teammates were "off" offensively tonight. There is no way it can be argued that he did not cost the Sixers this game.

Conclusion: For the second straight game he started, TJ McConnell cost the Sixers a close game with bad point guard play. Not just bad. Atrocious. He put his own offense and his own numbers ahead of his team and got his whole team out of rhythm from the beginning. Scotty Welbekin, Jahlil Okafor, and Charles Jackson bailed him out early but even a red-hot Welbekin couldn't save the Sixers from McConnell's selfish and stupid play in the second half. Though Okafor had another solid game, Charles Jackson really played very well offensively early on, and JP Tokoto even had a decent game offensively, pretty much no non-guard for the Sixers was in rhythm the entire game because either McConnell's passes to them were off-target or he didn't even bother passing to them at all. It was one of the most disgraceful performances by a point guard that I have ever seen, and I watched years of Allen Iverson running the Sixers' offense. Worst of all, it ruined another great game by Charles Jackson, a much improved game offensively from JP Tokoto, and an incredible offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin. I'm not sure I can sit through another game where TJ is running the offense.
I wonder what the TJ hater is feeling now?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:Got the start tonight

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Has to be the youngest starting lineup in the nba. Average age is just over 21

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Th now at 7/9/10 with 1 to

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Finished with 7 pts, 9 boards, 12 assists, one turnover (meaningless one at that). Had a three and the only missed shot I can remember was him being aggresivr on a drive and getting the shot blocked by help D. 76ers looked good on the road, tough loss, but they just collapsed down the stretch. Guys missed most of their easy and/or wide open looks off TJ passes late in the fourth and that was the difference. Could have easily had 15 or 16 dimes. Stauskus killed them down the stretch and Okafor showed his inexperience late with some key mistakes.

And the CSN philly announcers were slurping TJ hard ALL game. My wife doesn't even know much about basketball and even she could see how good he looked out there. Like I said, at this point the starting spot is TJs to lose. He's looking like an all rookie team guy early and this teams only going to get better.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Finished with 12 assists. Has 24 with one turnover in two games.
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How great is this for CSM recruiting.

Look a was TJ and RHJ pull for their teams being + rather than - when on the court.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:It's crazy that, as a Celts fan, I'm considering purchasing NBA league pass so that I can watch the Sixers every night. I don't think I've ever wanted a player to succeed more than I do TJM
I'm a Celtics fan too and it feels grimey rooting for the 76ers, but they are starting to become my second team. I only caught a portion of the Celtics game tonight because I was watching TJ. He's must see TV, no joke. As great as he was at Arizona, he wasn't playing on the level he has in the past two games. I know a lot of it is the improved spacing, but makes me wish Miller would have turned him loose now.

Do you got directv? Thats how I got league pass for free, the old no pac 12 network I am leaving threat.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CTAwVGtXIAAZorN.mp4" target="_blank

don't know how to embed
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Also first player in NBA history since stats recorded in 1970 to have at least 12 assists twice in his first four games. Storybook stuff
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Loving this TJ McConnell story. Funny how this coming weekend is our first exhibition game, and 2 years ago the very first exhibition game we saw TJ play, he was all over the place...stealing the ball, dishing assists, diving on the floor for loose balls, and on the old boards a lot of us couldn't help but wonder...is TJ an NBA player? Kind of blew us away because we hadn't seen that style of play yet in the Miller era. And the consensus then, as is still discussed to this very day, is while yea he is a pretty good floor leader, has great basketball IQ and plays hard, fun to watch, he just isn't gonna make it to the NBA...he's undersized, can't shoot, not athletic enough to play in the NBA.

But tonight he damn well almost had a triple double in the NBA in his fourth game. Crazy. Soooo rooting for him to stick, because there just aren't many true points like TJ in the NBA, period. Sixers are a moribund franchise, and having a shoot first guard isn't going to do a lick to help develop their bigs like Noel and Okafor. TJ at least gives them a chance to get good scoring looks. Miller's gotta be beaming like a proud papa about now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Love this
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Take a look at the +/- for the Sixers' bench in that game. Ye gods.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Take a look at the +/- for the Sixers' bench in that game. Ye gods.
Bench was terrible. I mean brutal. Bench combined for -68 and the starters combined for +48. The offense instantly went to crap when TJ was resting outside of late in the fourth when Pressey spelled TJ because he looked like he was going to puke. 34 minutes for the way TJ plays is like 46 for the average player, he never stops. Defensively, the whole team needs a lot of work, TJ has done a really good job out there without getting much help when he needs it, and he is recovering well most of the time when his man gets a step on him.

Heres a nice article I read late last night with some good stuff about TJ

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-phi ... loss-bucks" target="_blank
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Two straight games with 12 assists is awesome. Go TJ!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wife wants tickets for sixers at kings dec 30!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote: For the second time this summer, bad point guard play by TJ McConnell turned what should have been an easy Sixers win into a come-from-behind loss. Tonight was TJ's worst game yet, and quite a few times he didn't even bother to pass the ball to his teammates. McConnell's atrocious performance in all aspects offensively -other than the handful of shots he made- ruined an amazing offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin and solid offensive performances by Charles Jackson and JP Tokoto. There is no way any sane person could argue that TJ did not cost the Sixers this game tonight. It was plain as day. With that said, let's get into the individual performances against the Knicks.
DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN AS BAD POINT GUARD PLAY BY TJ MCCONNELL COSTS THE SIXERS ANOTHER CLOSE GAME
July 14, 2015image descriptionby phillyfansince88

TJ runs the offense the right way?
Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
For the second time this summer, bad point guard play by TJ McConnell turned what should have been an easy Sixers win into a come-from-behind loss. Tonight was TJ's worst game yet, and quite a few times he didn't even bother to pass the ball to his teammates. McConnell's atrocious performance in all aspects offensively -other than the handful of shots he made- ruined an amazing offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin and solid offensive performances by Charles Jackson and JP Tokoto. There is no way any sane person could argue that TJ did not cost the Sixers this game tonight. It was plain as day. With that said, let's get into the individual performances against the Knicks.

floor and made some on-point passes off of dribble penetration. You really can't ask for more than that from this kid but at the same time you shouldn't accept less. This is exactly what Scotty is capable of.

Ugly

TJ McConnell- The Sixers' first offensive possession of the game pretty much made it clear how TJ was going to play tonight. He threw a bad lob to JaKarr Sampson that could have easily injured him rather than passing him the ball as he was diving to the hoop. I can tell you for a fact that pretty much every single decent player I have ever played with in pickup games in the Philadelphia area can easily throw that pass on a laser exactly when it's supposed to be thrown rather than settling for throwing a lob. If you can't do that, you do not belong in the NBA. Period. If you are 6'4" and yet pretty much always throw the kind of bounce passes undersized point guards throw, you do not belong in the NBA. It is not the least bit difficult to throw one handed passes on target whether they are in the air or bounce passes. Any decent player can do that in his sleep. I have yet to see TJ do that even once. There is no way a 6'4" player is physically incapable of making passes off the standing dribble or of changing direction without over-dribbling or all of these things TJ should be able to do yet doesn't. On another play, he basically rolled a pass to Jahlil Okafor that Okafor luckily was able to get control of. You never, ever roll a pass to a big man with other players around, and if you're throwing a bounce pass into the paint it better be strong and on target. That's Basketball 101. TJ drove into the paint for his own offense for a large part of the game and when he couldn't score, either dribbled back out or threw a completely unnecessarily difficult and off-the-mark pass. He was the reason some of his teammates were "off" offensively tonight. There is no way it can be argued that he did not cost the Sixers this game.

Conclusion: For the second straight game he started, TJ McConnell cost the Sixers a close game with bad point guard play. Not just bad. Atrocious. He put his own offense and his own numbers ahead of his team and got his whole team out of rhythm from the beginning. Scotty Welbekin, Jahlil Okafor, and Charles Jackson bailed him out early but even a red-hot Welbekin couldn't save the Sixers from McConnell's selfish and stupid play in the second half. Though Okafor had another solid game, Charles Jackson really played very well offensively early on, and JP Tokoto even had a decent game offensively, pretty much no non-guard for the Sixers was in rhythm the entire game because either McConnell's passes to them were off-target or he didn't even bother passing to them at all. It was one of the most disgraceful performances by a point guard that I have ever seen, and I watched years of Allen Iverson running the Sixers' offense. Worst of all, it ruined another great game by Charles Jackson, a much improved game offensively from JP Tokoto, and an incredible offensive performance by Scotty Welbekin. I'm not sure I can sit through another game where TJ is running the offense.
Some of you twitter guys need to start trolling this guy. Hard.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

My name is Marc Heirshberg. My family and I live up north in Mesa and are doing our part to paint the Valley red and blue! While my oldest son Eric is in his second year at the U of A, my youngest son Keagan is 7 years old and is already a diehard Wildcat fan, who is anxiously awaiting his opportunity to play on a Wildcat team one day in the future!

I wanted to take the opportunity to share with you the experiences that Keagan and I have had with a couple of student-athletes over the last few months…

Late last spring as T.J. McConnell was preparing for the NBA Combine and Draft, he spent several weeks around the Valley working out and training prior to receiving the call to head to Chicago. One of those workouts was at the Red Mountain Recreation Center in Mesa. When the staff there informed me that T.J. would be working out there, I asked if it would be possible for Keagan to watch him workout. T.J. was not only more than willing to oblige, but he also broke from one of his drills, ran over, called Keagan by his name, and told him to hang tight and watch and then he would play a game with him. Not knowing that he was going to meet his favorite player, the “surprise” encounter, as well as, the fact that T.J. knew him by name, made Keagan’s eyes light up and the smile from ear to ear was worth a lifetime of memories for me as a father! Following the workout, T.J. took time to play a quick game with Keagan, gave him a few pointers, took some pictures and signed Keagan’s U of A Basketball jersey and basketball. Most importantly, he told Keagan that if he wanted to be a Wildcat one day that he had to not only practice hard but also be a good student. He emphasized that Coach Miller only wants players that were not just good on the court but also in school and doing good in school starts at his age. He also told Keagan that the key to his success was playing just as hard at practice as he did in games because at the end of the day “hustle always wins the play!” Even at 7, the 30 minutes that T.J. took out of his schedule to spend with Keagan made a lasting impact as he has taken the advice to heart with a renewed commitment to doing well in school and making practice count!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

threenumberones wrote:Some of you twitter guys need to start trolling this guy. Hard.
No reason to. He's got 94 followers. In comparison, I have over 500 and I rarely if ever say anything interesting or controversial. That guy is desperately trying to get any attention possible, and failing big time. No reason to give him what he wants.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

CalStateTempe wrote:How great is this for CSM recruiting.

Look a was TJ and RHJ pull for their teams being + rather than - when on the court.
Exactly! Miller teaches defense better than any collegiate coach. Want a long career in the NBA? Learn to be an excellent defender. Come to Arizona!

Go Cats!!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote:
threenumberones wrote:Some of you twitter guys need to start trolling this guy. Hard.
No reason to. He's got 94 followers. In comparison, I have over 500 and I rarely if ever say anything interesting or controversial. That guy is desperately trying to get any attention possible, and failing big time. No reason to give him what he wants.
Yea that's right. But bringing his waffling (which I'm sure would happen) up and broadcasting it to the world would indeed provide some satisfaction.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

threenumberones wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Yea that's right. But bringing his waffling (which I'm sure would happen) up and broadcasting it to the world would indeed provide some satisfaction.
He doesn't seem to be waffling. He still thinks the point guard play has been "atrocious", at least in the first two games: https://twitter.com/phillyfansince8" target="_blank

He didn't have any comment on the past two. Anyway, definitely not worth the effort. Not even sure how Merkin found that idiot.
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

This really makes me question SM offensive schemes. Clearly TJM is killing it in the open court without the defense settled. Too bad we didn't run more last year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

elriop20 wrote:This really makes me question SM offensive schemes. Clearly TJM is killing it in the open court without the defense settled. Too bad we didn't run more last year.
We were #7 out of 351 teams in adjusted offense last year.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
elriop20 wrote:This really makes me question SM offensive schemes. Clearly TJM is killing it in the open court without the defense settled. Too bad we didn't run more last year.
Seriously, some people are just never satisfied
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

TJ never had a talent like Okafor here. He's doing most of his damage by setting up Okafor, who, if you look at splits, needs to demand 35 mpg alongside McConnell. He's shooting like 75% or better with TJ.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Haha... Just found this.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
The myth about our offense will never die. Plus, those aren't all open-court dimes.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

JMarkJohns wrote:Haha... Just found this.
Was just going to post that. It's remarkable. if Tarc could catch ....
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

gumby wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Haha... Just found this.
Was just going to post that. It's remarkable. if Tarc could catch ....
If you put Ashley's hands and skill in Tarc's body and heart, you'd get the type of talent He's now playing with. Maybe not even then.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
But besides that, 3 Elite Eights in 5 years and being ranked #1 for a while, what is there to show Miller can coach offense?

He is not a fast paced coach. He isn't Lute. He is a good offensive coach, though, and we are just spoiled by watching high flying fast break ball since the 80's. Even times when we have struggled, there are personnel limitations. 2013-14 after Ashley was hurt, it's hard when both your starting forwards cannot hit jumpers. 2012-13, it's hard when you have no true PG and all freshmen inside.

It's great to see TJ succeeding. The Sixers are talent strapped, so he can make that position his if he plays well. He always has repped Arizona well, and should always continue to...until he returns as a coach when his playing days are over?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Any idea when Wroten and Marshall come back? Will he still get 15mpg?

Some big games coming up. Cavs, Bulls, Thunder, Spurs, Mavs
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Here's hoping TJ keeps killing it out there.

And here's from another thread.
Merkin wrote:Lute was right during TJ's redshirt year that the Cat's best player is on the bench.
Yup.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Through the first few games, here are the NBA assist leaders:

1 Russell Westbrook, PG OKC 10.6
2 Ricky Rubio, PG MIN 10.3
3 John Wall, PG WSH 8.3
4 Chris Paul, PG LAC 8.2
5 T.J. McConnell, PG PHI 8.0
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/11/4 ... nnell-show
T.J. McConnell had five points, six assists and five rebounds in the first half, and finished with seven, 12 and nine. I'm never going to come off my opinion that McConnell, who gets praised with the kind of coach-on-the-floor playmaker bullshit that usually gets reserved for floorbound Caucasian tryhards. He's the kind of player sportswriters like to praise because he makes them think that they could've played in the NBA if they'd gotten all the breaks, and allows them to indulge in the fantasy that it's possible to play pro basketball on grit and hustle and work ethic alone, or that more talented players don't also work like coal miners. I hate this kind of player, and it's why I get a fizzing sensation in my groin whenever I think about how Aaron Craft is all the way down in the Hungarian league.

But McConnell was really good. Jerryd Bayless was able to slip him pretty routinely on defense, but McConnell was the lynchpin of a Sixers offense that exhibited some pretty impressive ball movement, which Okafor tended to finish on (more on this in a minute) and the wing players tended not to. Nothing McConnell does--short of delivering a hot buffalo chicken cheesesteak to my door--will stop him from being my least favorite Sixer since Kevin Ollie, but he played a hell of a game.
Nothing like putting your idiocy on display for all to see.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy