UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm not going to lose sleep over anything except a conference loss that ends our chance at a regular season title, a conference tournament loss, or a loss in the NCAA tournament. I'm pretty even-keeled with our teams outside of when they are actually playing, then I'm a yelling wreck, but I still like to analyze the team and their strengths and weaknesses. It helps me see improvement and growth, personally. If we win the zags game, great. We all love those big wins, the zags at home, UM on the road, dukies in NYC, cuz they have a tournament feel. Regardless, it's a great test for us and a game that will be invaluable come March. I'm really not worried about this team at all, I like what I see. Just of the opinion that particular matchup will likely not bode well for us that night, all I was trying to say. If he gets torched, oh well, its a good experience for him and the team because we will face a guy of his talent again at some point.

And I agree with offensive fluidity tradeoff. I love our defensive mentality, but in the Miller era there has always been a Kaminsky, Dekker, or Kemba that killed us. Better offensive nights, and more scoring options wins us two of those games at least.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And I had the best seats of my life for that Jimmer game. Mid court about ten rows up to watch one of the biggest soul crushings I have ever seen in person.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Same. A loss to gonzaga or to msu in Anaheim won't bother me. Ihave us going 24-7 anyway.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I'm just excited basketball is back. Nothing quite like that feeling.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Miller has had some exceptional players in his tenure at Arizona. But only DWill qualifies as an elite offensive player in college. The biggest games we've lost involved lack of offensive productivity. DWill was good against UCONN (save for the b.s. foul trouble. We outscored UCONN by double digits when he was on the floor). But we were starved for offense without him.

NJ & Aaron Gordon just weren't the type of players to take over a game offensively. I suppose Gordon could've single handedly beaten Wisconsin if he could simply make his FT's.

So far, the eye test for this year's squad shows more offensive firepower, especially Anderson & Trier. Those are the two that could really be dynamic scorers in March. But that's a far off projection. This team could surprise us all or be kind of meh and really miss McConnell's playmaking & leadership.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Really excited for Friday
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There seems to be a lack of buzz for the year. I guess it makes sense with the disappointment in the NCAA and so many questions. Beat Michigan Sate and it will be back.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:And I had the best seats of my life for that Jimmer game. Mid court about ten rows up to watch one of the biggest soul crushings I have ever seen in person.
The one and only time my buddy had floor seats :lol:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583 ... -16-season" target="_blank

A favorable, accurate (imo) breakdown.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:There seems to be a lack of buzz for the year. I guess it makes sense with the disappointment in the NCAA and so many questions. Beat Michigan Sate and it will be back.
Ummm it makes sense because the vast majority of the reasons we got as far as we did in the NCAA tournament are playing professionally now. Add that up with no one and done freshmen and there ya go.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:There seems to be a lack of buzz for the year. I guess it makes sense with the disappointment in the NCAA and so many questions. Beat Michigan Sate and it will be back.
Ummm it makes sense because the vast majority of the reasons we got as far as we did in the NCAA tournament are playing professionally now. Add that up with no one and done freshmen and there ya go.
Trier could be one and done. Unlikely but not inconceivable.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I dont see that being even remotely possible but I would love to be proven wrong
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

He has been one-and-done each of the last five or six years. What is so different about this year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean I guess he could theoretically be a one and done and not start (Grant Jerrett and all), but if he has hopes of being a 1st rounder then there's pretty much no way he can do that being behind a non-NBA player on the depth chart.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KaibabKat wrote:He has been one-and-done each of the last five or six years. What is so different about this year?
Optimism for a Final Four caliber team next season? Actual shot of getting drafted late in the 1st round as opposed to not even coming close?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Is this the predictions thread also?

11 and 2 out of conference. Could see Michigan State or a UNLV or Boise State give U of A a loss but 12 and 1 is not a stretch and neither is 13 and 0.

14 and 4 in conference. Tied but goes to tiebreakers for number one seed in conference tournament. Losses to Cal ASU Utah and one slip up game to a Colorado or Standord or Oregon State.

Pac 12 conference champs due to seeding being on the line, home court advantage in Vegas, best coaching staff and deep roster.

Sweet 16 or Elite 8 depending on matchup.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Is this the predictions thread also?

11 and 2 out of conference. Could see Michigan State or a UNLV or Boise State give U of A a loss but 12 and 1 is not a stretch and neither is 13 and 0.

14 and 4 in conference. Tied but goes to tiebreakers for number one seed in conference tournament. Losses to Cal ASU Utah and one slip up game to a Colorado or Standord or Oregon State.

Pac 12 conference champs due to seeding being on the line, home court advantage in Vegas, best coaching staff and deep roster.

Sweet 16 or Elite 8 depending on matchup.

Very likely. (maybe 70-75%+ probability?) Hell, with a little luck, this team could maybe hit their stride in March and get to the FF? Okay, way too early for this type of rambling. :)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't want to lose to Rado!!! Only thing worse is a loss at McKale north.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:I don't want to lose to Rado!!! Only thing worse is a loss at McKale north.
I get this team is deeper but it doesn't seem to be as good as last year as thing stand now or projected for the year and thr last few years have seen slip ups to asu and other lessor teams. Just think it is gonna happen again.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As long as nobody is as good as Duke, Kentucky and Wisconsin teams of last year, we have a shot. Might not need to be as good as last year.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

KaibabKat wrote:He has been one-and-done each of the last five or six years. What is so different about this year?
Just a personal opinion after 1.25 games. I just dont see him being ready
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't lose sleep over that. Good player, but a short SG on a roster stacked with talent and a lot of competition for shots? His physical measurables aren't one and done without major production, and there are plenty of people who can produce too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trier isn't going to beat out York.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Hey, the season starts today. Can we discuss basketball now, or do we have to wait till conference play starts?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I have been waiting for this day since March 28. I'm sure the wife won't be too happy since life will revolve around when Arizona plays over the next five months but I have to put up with her being a Duke fan so I guess it evens out. I am counting down the hours until 930 est tonight.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:Hey, the season starts today. Can we discuss basketball now, or do we have to wait till conference play starts?
Well for 95% of Americans the college basketball season starts Monday February 8 after the super bowl. But we're the cool 5% that likes it in October and November...

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

jsbowl16 wrote:I have been waiting for this day since March 28. I'm sure the wife won't be too happy since life will revolve around when Arizona plays over the next five months but I have to put up with her being a Duke fan so I guess it evens out. I am counting down the hours until 930 est tonight.
How does that happen?

There was some a-hole student who wore a Duke shirt (just the D logo) to the exhibition game days back, obviously for trolling purposes. My son is in his parrot phase and repeats almost everything, but it was one of those times you just had to make a comment and I came up with a pg-13 version. Told my son that the word "bag" was missing from his shirt, just loud enough so the student, his friends, and a few others could hear. Wife didn't like it, but everyone else did.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

rgdeuce wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:I have been waiting for this day since March 28. I'm sure the wife won't be too happy since life will revolve around when Arizona plays over the next five months but I have to put up with her being a Duke fan so I guess it evens out. I am counting down the hours until 930 est tonight.
How does that happen?

There was some a-hole student who wore a Duke shirt (just the D logo) to the exhibition game days back, obviously for trolling purposes. My son is in his parrot phase and repeats almost everything, but it was one of those times you just had to make a comment and I came up with a pg-13 version. Told my son that the word "bag" was missing from his shirt, just loud enough so the student, his friends, and a few others could hear. Wife didn't like it, but everyone else did.
She was a Duke fan before I met her. 2001 was rough but I will never forget the beat down in the sweet 16. She didn't even watch the end of the game with me, lol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You shouldn't criticize your wife's looks like that.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:There was some a-hole student who wore a Duke shirt (just the D logo) to the exhibition game days back, obviously for trolling purposes. My son is in his parrot phase and repeats almost everything, but it was one of those times you just had to make a comment and I came up with a pg-13 version. Told my son that the word "bag" was missing from his shirt, just loud enough so the student, his friends, and a few others could hear. Wife didn't like it, but everyone else did.
:lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonna go with inconceivable.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier 1/10.
PJC, 1-6.

Rest of team. 22-45
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Trier 1/10.
PJC, 1-6.

Rest of team. 22-45
Wow. If those two are closer to .500 FG, this game is a laugher.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

No argument that Trier is a high volume shooter - now if he could just be a half way decent shot maker.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sorta have a feeling Trier's gonna come around. It was the kid's first college game. He's very talented. By March, he might be our best reserve.

But no way he's one and done, which is actually good news.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You can tell Trier is just not used to the speed and physicality of the college game yet. He's putting the ball on the floor and used to just being able to blow by guys. The defenders were staying with him, but even when he had a half step on his man he was tentatively pulling back because he's used to having a full step to work with. It's going to take time. Needs minutes and to put some strength and bulk on his body.

I missed the last 8 minutes, my son couldn't hang. Not much changed from my impressions and concerns from the exhibition outside of what I saw from Kadeem. The combination of York, Kadeem, Tarc, and Anderson is powerful. When those guys take a seat and the bench gets in, thats when the team goes flat. we had about a 4 or 5 minute scoring drought from about the 15-10 minute mark in the first half. Think we only scored a point in that timeframe. The bench production is behind where I thought it would be. If I recall correctly, their bench outscored ours 10 to 5 at the half. Not super concerned, things will likely improve over time, and we are just going to have to ride the big guns while the bench improves. Should be good by the conference season and Miller will figure out the right combinations to make sure guys get their rest.

If Trier was playing better, I wouldnt be surprised to see him starting in favor of Tollesen in the near future. Just found out about Pitts, not sure how serious the knee sprain is, but hes maybe worthy of a look there as well to see how he does. Im just not a fan of Tollefsen at the 3. At all. His man blew by him at least five times in the first half and he struggles to follow his man in the half court, frequently getting caught in off ball screens and also in losing track of where his man is. He's getting there too late and a confident player is going to catch and release right away or just blow by him. Two straight games of struggling to defend on the perimeter and its not like we have been playing top level wings. Offensively, not going to judge this early, but Im not sure if Ive seen him knock down a shot from the perimeter. Maybe im missing one. But tonight when he was at the four and closer to the basket he was very effective and finished nicely. I like him cutting inside and finishing or being within 10-15 feet and waiting for a guard to penetrate and dish to him. He's very crafty on the interior.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Tollefsen is probably going to start splitting minutes at the 4 with Anderson (with Ryan the starter, of course), hopefully starting with Bradley.

Anderson just has no other viable backup at his position, and even without Ray Smith, others are going to demand minutes soon enough at the 3, especially when Pitts comes back and battles Trier.

Tarc/Ristic
Anderson/Tollefsen
Trier/Pitts
York/Simon
Allen/Jackson-Cartwright
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Not to pour salt in the wounds by wondering what if but : Damian Lee looks like the real deal on both ends of the court, Stanley looks like he would have been better served to play one more year in college to polish his game for NBA, and all reports were Ray Smith was our best practice player outside of RA.

Ugh. What should have been a position of strength was snakebitten 3 different ways this offseason to turn it into our biggest ? Going forward.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

PennZona20 wrote:Not to pour salt in the wounds by wondering what if but : Damian Lee looks like the real deal on both ends of the court, Stanley looks like he would have been better served to play one more year in college to polish his game for NBA, and all reports were Ray Smith was our best practice player outside of RA.

Ugh. What should have been a position of strength was snakebitten 3 different ways this offseason to turn it into our biggest ? Going forward.
It's not just Stanley that looks like he could've used another year. pretty much all of our players who have left early over the last 3-4 years haven't been overly successful at all. And a lot of them have not made it at all. I would hope that in the future any of our guys who are trying to decide whether to leave or stay take a look at the track record of success. Then again, it might just be about the paycheck.

On the flip side, Rondae is playing well for the Nets.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And Stanley is playing well for the pistons and Gordon is doing well on the magic...

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Stanley is shooting 37.3% from the field, 21.7% from behind the arc and 60.0% from the line. He is scoring 0.93 points/field goal attempt. That is the worst of all the former Wildcats in the NBA and pretty poor by any standard.

Aaron Gordon IS doing great.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PennZona20 wrote:Not to pour salt in the wounds by wondering what if but : Damian Lee looks like the real deal on both ends of the court, Stanley looks like he would have been better served to play one more year in college to polish his game for NBA, and all reports were Ray Smith was our best practice player outside of RA.

A lot of teams have what-ifs like this.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

gumby wrote:

A lot of teams have what-ifs like this.

No doubt, but I'd wager very few have 3 what-ifs at the same position this year. I am only frustrated because I honestly see final four potential in this squad. And ftr, I do like Tolly and think once he gets comfortable he will be fine at SF. I just think he'd be better suited for our 6th man Swiss Army knife off the bench w Lee, Stan, or Smith starting there.

Either way I like this team a lot, especially Come March. I'm just a little damaged w what ifs since the BAsh injury 2 years ago I guess.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KaibabKat wrote:Stanley is shooting 37.3% from the field, 21.7% from behind the arc and 60.0% from the line. He is scoring 0.93 points/field goal attempt. That is the worst of all the former Wildcats in the NBA and pretty poor by any standard.

Aaron Gordon IS doing great.
Gordon struggled as a rookie. SJ is struggling, but that struggle is not unprecedented. He has the tools, but the NBA is a massive challenge for everyone. The successful guys are able to push through the ugly times.

If Trier gets a first round projection after this year, he has done well enough that this team will be really, really, really good. I don't see him being quite that good. His J needs to fall a lot more before we even have a conversation about him leaving.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Who is on our bench in blue next to the shaved head? We couldn't figure it out all game. Looked to be about 6'6"

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Could be new 6'4" walk-on guard Paulo Cruz out of San Diego - but not 100% sure.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thats exactly who it is. Didnt even know we picked up another player

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Must have missed this.

No Scout or Rivals info on him. 15.2 PPG http://hs.utpreps.com/roster_players/68 ... son=177482" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Extremely comfortable with his left