Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:Is this a legit website for mock drafts? If so having 2 top 5 and 4 of the top 35 picks would be awesome!

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2015-nba-mock-draft.html
Draftexpress is better, and probably more realistic at this point. They have Stanley 5th, Rondae 14th and Zeus #34. Ashley isn't listed.

At this point, with Ashley's foot and not knowing how Rondae's J develops, I tend to think that's about right. All could play themselves higher, though.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

14)Rondae Hollis-Jefferson COLLEGE:Arizona HT:6-7 WT:205 POS:SF
A number of scouts felt Hollis-Jefferson would've been a lock for the first round had he decided to leave Arizona last season. He's another aggressive and athletic small forward who is a jump shot away from dominance. Hollis-Jefferson will face some stiff competition with Stanley Johnson at his position this season. But if he continues to improve, I still think he could hear his name called before Johnson. He's a better athlete. That's a big deal at the next level.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mo ... -Big-Board
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rondae on Parrish's AA team.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... his-season

But it really is wide open this year.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

[youtube]YzyeVD_QiG8[/youtube]
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Rondae is the perfect example of what a wildcat should be like. Amazing athlete, great character and very mature for his age. I love how he wants to give back and help out guys from his hometown. Hope the parents and kids took something from the speech he gave.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Jefe wrote:[youtube]YzyeVD_QiG8[/youtube]
Thanks for posting this.

Can't wait to watch this guy for many years to come. So proud he came to Tucson, Sean Miller, U of A, and became a Wildcat for life!!!

More to follow. I have little doubt.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, 6-7, 215, F, Arizona: Hollis-Jefferson has something in common with Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan. Both played football at Chester (Pennsylvania) High School. Hollis-Jefferson was listed as a receiver and defensive end as junior. He even got a shot at playing quarterback, but his basketball skills were so much further ahead he missed football games because of hoops obligations.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -for-hoops
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Couple vids from instagram :lol:

http://websta.me/p/785635041022335759_29008861

singing in the locker room with Craig Victor

http://websta.me/p/785561836224010338_29008861
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

RHJ and his offseason working on his shooting:
In his postseason meeting with Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, Hollis-Jefferson voiced a desire to be a nationally elite performer. Improving his stroke, he told Miller, was the priority. But he'd already let his actions speak loud and clear. “When we got back to campus from Anaheim after losing to Wisconsin (in the Elite Eight), he was in the gym that day,” said Arizona assistant Book Richardson. “He said to himself, 'If I'm going to be any good, I'm going to have to be able to shoot the ball.' Guys have to respect him being able to make shots. If not, he turns into a power forward
Hollis-Jefferson and Arizona's coaches have labored since the end of last season to refine his form. His huge hands – measured at 10 inches from the tip of his thumb across the palm to the tip of his pinky finger – that were a blessing in some ways were a detriment to his shot. He often released the ball almost off his palm instead of his fingertips, which required correcting. His shooting base was inconsistent too; as a lefthander, Hollis-Jefferson should take off from and pivot on his right foot while shooting. Instead, he would sometimes plant on the left foot – an awkward and unnatural proposition, as anyone who has picked up a basketball can attest. He also had a hitch in his shot, which meant he'd hear a three-syllable command from Arizona coaches enough to have it ring in his sleep: Up and off!, they'd bark at him. Catch the ball, get it up and let it go.
Hollis-Jefferson works out everyday, occasionally multiple times. He has woken up on a Saturday, called Richardson and headed with him to the gym to shoot. They'd break to watch a game or some film, at which point Hollis-Jefferson would say he wanted to work on something else. Then another break. Before either of them realized it, it was 6 p.m. and Richardson was calling it a day. Hollis-Jefferson used that has his cue to make one more solo return trip to the court.
Last spring, Hollis-Jefferson told Miller he wanted to be great. To be great, he had to shoot more. Miller's response: We have the staff, we have the managers, you just tell us what you need and we'll help you get it done.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... -jefferson
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I knew Rondae would have a big sophomore jump, but after reading that article I think it'll be even bigger than I first imagined. And if he's doing all that, imagine what the other guys must be working on.

Is it November yet?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:
Hollis-Jefferson works out everyday, occasionally multiple times. He has woken up on a Saturday, called Richardson and headed with him to the gym to shoot. They'd break to watch a game or some film, at which point Hollis-Jefferson would say he wanted to work on something else. Then another break. Before either of them realized it, it was 6 p.m. and Richardson was calling it a day. Hollis-Jefferson used that has his cue to make one more solo return trip to the court.
Last spring, Hollis-Jefferson told Miller he wanted to be great. To be great, he had to shoot more. Miller's response: We have the staff, we have the managers, you just tell us what you need and we'll help you get it done.
This is the stuff that makes you better. A player with the ability to recognize his flaws, the will to correct that, and a program dedicated to giving him the tools to make it happen.

May Rondae fly to Indianapolis on angel's wings.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Coop Cat wrote:RHJ and his offseason working on his shooting:
In his postseason meeting with Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, Hollis-Jefferson voiced a desire to be a nationally elite performer. Improving his stroke, he told Miller, was the priority. But he'd already let his actions speak loud and clear. “When we got back to campus from Anaheim after losing to Wisconsin (in the Elite Eight), he was in the gym that day,” said Arizona assistant Book Richardson. “He said to himself, 'If I'm going to be any good, I'm going to have to be able to shoot the ball.' Guys have to respect him being able to make shots. If not, he turns into a power forward
Hollis-Jefferson and Arizona's coaches have labored since the end of last season to refine his form. His huge hands – measured at 10 inches from the tip of his thumb across the palm to the tip of his pinky finger – that were a blessing in some ways were a detriment to his shot. He often released the ball almost off his palm instead of his fingertips, which required correcting. His shooting base was inconsistent too; as a lefthander, Hollis-Jefferson should take off from and pivot on his right foot while shooting. Instead, he would sometimes plant on the left foot – an awkward and unnatural proposition, as anyone who has picked up a basketball can attest. He also had a hitch in his shot, which meant he'd hear a three-syllable command from Arizona coaches enough to have it ring in his sleep: Up and off!, they'd bark at him. Catch the ball, get it up and let it go.

So what is Richardson's assessment of that progress?

“Astronomical,” the assistant coach said.

​​Per the program's numbers, Hollis-Jefferson is hitting roughly 62 to 63 percent of his shots during workouts.

Outstanding stuff. Rondae!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Check out RHJ and Pitts at the 1:57 mark:

http://www.break.com/video/nerd-makes-f ... us-2752438
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

gumby wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:I recently learned there's no such thing as a pterodactyl. It's a derivation of pterodactylus, the correct name, which is weird because as I write the correct name, the spell check marks it, and when I google the correct name, it shows results for the incorrect name. I hear this drives scientists mad. Apparently the pterodactylus isn't even a dinosaur, either, it's more bird than reptile. And then there's the pteranodon, which is bigger than the pterodactylus, and the quetzalcoatlus, even larger, with wingspans of 30 and 40 feet, respectively. There's also talk about an even bigger pterosaur, the hatzygopteryx. So really the pterodactyl is a big pussy. But to the point you and 97 are making, yeah, RHJ has a ridiculously long wingspan, and I believe he can fly.
As long Rondae pters it up this year, I can live with this.
That's just pterible
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

ESPN Insider's Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton return to provide the kind of discussions that are happening in front offices around the NBA -- where scouts and statistical experts are breaking down draft prospects using their "eyes, ears and numbers."

For the next several weeks, Ford and Pelton will be breaking down the top returning college prospects in the country by conference. We start in the Pac-12.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, G/F, Soph., Arizona Wildcats
Chad's Big Board ranking: 17
Kevin's Draft Board ranking: 29

Ford: There's obviously a couple of elite freshman coming to the Pac-12 this year lead by Stanley Johnson of Arizona and Kevon Looney of UCLA. But of the returning players, Hollis-Jefferson is the highest ranked player on my board. I thought he looked great for Arizona toward the end of his freshman season. He's long, athletic, has good strength, is a terrific defender with a high motor and has a real knack for getting and finishing at the basket. He's a great intangibles guy, too.

In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a young Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The jump shot is obviously a major concern (he shot 29 percent on 2-point jumpers and 20 percent from 3-point range). With Johnson (ranked No. 6 on my Big Board), he's also facing the possibility of splitting minutes. Those two factors clearly affected his draft stock. But he's got everything else. I think he can be an effective defense and hustle guy in the NBA. Kevin, you clearly aren't as high on him. Is it just the jump shot or is there more that concerns you?

Pelton: For the most part, yeah. That low percentage on 2-point jumpers, the complete lack of 3s and 68.2 percent free throw shooting meant Hollis-Jefferson's efficiency was only average. Kidd-Gilchrist is a pretty good match; only DeMar DeRozan has a higher similarity score to Hollis-Jefferson's freshman season among one-and-done players in my database. However, Kidd-Gilchrist was a half-year younger and slightly more effective, which made him a better prospect statistically. And the jury is very much still out on whether a comparison to Kidd-Gilchrist is a good thing.

The highest ranked returning Pac-12 player on my board is a bit of a sleeper unless you've been following Utah basketball closely last year.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... eltonPAC12
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Can anybody explain the socks on Rondae in those pictures?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CBCat wrote:Can anybody explain the socks on Rondae in those pictures?
Statement socks are a thing now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can even buy statement socks at Target now.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

5000 shots a day!

Hollis-Jefferson hopes shooting sessions will pay off

UA sophomore put up more than 5,000 shots per day during the off season.

It was over the summer when Hollis-Jefferson had to stretch himself in a different way. He took over 5,000 shots, from all over the floor, staying in town most of the summer to accomplish the goal.

“I just shot and shot and shot, just kept shooting,” Hollis-Jefferson said. “From everywhere — midrange, three, you name it.”

“Of course, that was the main reason, but you have to get out there and prove it,” Hollis-Jefferson said, adding that UA’s Elite Eight loss to Wisconsin also motivates him and the entire team. “It’s not about how many shots you put up. It’s about once you get out there, are you gonna freeze up or show them you can shoot?”

Miller wouldn’t bet against him.

“I think he’s hungry to show everybody that he’s an improved player across the board,” Miller said. “No question I believe that’s the case watching him this fall.”

http://tucson.com/sports/college/wildcats/
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

HiCat wrote:5000 shots a day!

Hollis-Jefferson hopes shooting sessions will pay off

UA sophomore put up more than 5,000 shots per day during the off season.

Per day?

I don't think so.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ten times more than Bibby without Pastner shagging?

Doubt it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What's to doubt about 5,000 shots per day? That's only one shot every four seconds for six hours per day. With the rest of his workout, and assuming he didn't do laundry or buy groceries or talk to anyone, that's totally doable.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

seems to be an extra zero
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All I know is if Channing Frye wasn't a ham sandwich, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is certainly a ham.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

5000 seems like a huge number. It would take 6-8 hours of shooting?

500 is plausible. 2-3 hour work out/ day maybe?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... cid=espnFB
#Top10Thursday: Returning dunkers

1. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Arizona
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

what program did you use to make that? ^ Mine are getting choppy

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rondae! You da man!

Hollis-Jefferson, defense lead No. 2 Wildcats
By BOB BAUM
AP Sports Writer
Nov. 20, 2014

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) Arizona coach Sean Miller got the tough test he wanted, and his team passed with flying colors.

Miller said he scheduled Cal-Irvine because he knew the Anteaters were a strong, big, experienced team.

And Cal-Irvine showed it until the No. 2 Wildcats dominated the final 10 minutes for a 71-54 victory on Wednesday night.

''I know tonight we grew up a whole lot,'' Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell said, ''and we have a lot of confidence going into Maui.''

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson scored 19 points and Arizona used a stifling defense in a decisive second-half run.

The Wildcats (3-0) trailed from late in the first half until their defense intensified in a 15-0 run midway through the second half. The Anteaters (2-1) went six minutes without a point and committed five turnovers during the outburst.

''We can't play any harder or more together on defense,'' Miller said. ''As our offense grows and develops and it will continue to get better, we have to be dominant defensively and that's what won the game tonight.''

Arizona's best offense was at the foul line, where the Wildcats made 29 of 34, 11 of 13 by Hollis-Jefferson. Cal-Irvine was 9 of 13 at the line.

The Wildcats were 34 of 60 (57 percent) from the line in the first two games.

''It's all mental,'' Hollis-Jefferson said. ''You've got to have that confidence that it's going to go in. It rubs off. Once one person starts making it, the other players on the team start making it and it gets contagious.''

McConnell had 12 points, six steals and nine rebounds. Brandon Ashley scored 11 for the Wildcats and freshman Stanley Johnson had 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Luke Nelson and Travis Souza scored 11 apiece for UC-Irvine.

Mamadou Ndiaye, the Anteaters' 7-foot-6 center, scored nine, all in the first half, and was a formidable obstacle in the middle of the team's zone defense.

''When the outside world looks at the final score, they'll think that we had it in hand and had a real solid 18-, 20-point win,'' Miller said. ''That's the furthest from the truth. We were tested tonight in a really big way. ... You could see that they (the Anteaters) have the makings of a great season.''

Arizona outscored UC-Irvine 30-8 in the last 10 1/2 minutes.

''I think they caused us to fall apart,'' Anteaters coach Russell Turner said. ''It was not like we just quit playing, but they are a pretty good team, as you know and we know.''

Mike Best scored on a layup and the Anteaters led 46-41 with 10:30 to play.

Then came the run the big, loud McKale Center crowd had anticipated all night.

The first seven points came from the foul line, four by Hollis-Jefferson, who also missed a pair. His two free throws with 7:53 to play gave Arizona a 47-46 lead, its first since Ndiaye's inside basket put UC-Irvine up 26-24 with 2:40 left in the first half.

The Anteaters finished the first half with a 7-2 spurt to lead 29-26 at the break.

McConnell sank a 3-pointer to ignite a 10-2 Arizona spurt and the Wildcats were on top, 24-22, after Hollis-Jefferson's bank shot from inside the lane with 4:05 left in the half.

But that was Arizona's last field goal of the half.

BIG DUNK

The crowd was never louder than when Hollis-Jefferson threw down a dunk over the Anteaters center.

''I just knew I had him once I saw him turned slow,'' Hollis-Jefferson said. ''I went up and jumped, and from there the rest was history. I definitely told my teammates I was going to dunk on him, too.''

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 2-wildcats
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

need help embedding, clearly.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:BIG DUNK

The crowd was never louder than when Hollis-Jefferson threw down a dunk over the Anteaters center.

''I just knew I had him once I saw him turned slow,'' Hollis-Jefferson said. ''I went up and jumped, and from there the rest was history. I definitely told my teammates I was going to dunk on him, too.''

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 2-wildcats
And Rondae was fouled, but for some reason the refs gave the Irvine big man a ton of breaks. I thought Ndiaye ended that game with 9+ fouls.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Awesome throw down by RHJ. Dude can fuckin rise. I can't stop watching the gif of it.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

RHJ has a turbo level to his intensity that most elite competitors do not have. Rodman had it. The guy on the Nuggets has it (can't remember his name right now and too lazy to look it up). RHJ is the reason we won the game last night.

Go Cats!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catstatic wrote: The guy on the Nuggets has it (can't remember his name right now and too lazy to look it up).
Kenneth Faried
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Catstatic wrote: The guy on the Nuggets has it (can't remember his name right now and too lazy to look it up).
Kenneth Faried
That's the one. Thanks, UAE.

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

His motor reminds me of Reggie Geary. Looks like he's having fun. The other guys need to lighten up at the outset.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:BIG DUNKAnd Rondae was fouled, but for some reason the refs gave the Irvine big man a ton of breaks. I thought Ndiaye ended that game with 9+ fouls.
Definitely fouled. I have no idea why they didn't call it.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

can't find a better .gif of it myself...but here's one:

and yeah, that's a freaking foul
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ndiaye gets him with the left forearm, left hip, and slaps him in the face with his right hand. Refs decide to play on because . . . well, Pac-12...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alot of fouls by the big man were not called...such as the hand holding of Bash on our last play of the first half. Blatant.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Has Miller said why he isn't starting? It seems like a really strange thing to continue to bring him off the bench for York.

Looks healthy too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:Has Miller said why he isn't starting? It seems like a really strange thing to continue to bring him off the bench for York.

Looks healthy too.
Someone said something about him asking to come off the bench as a spark. Haven't seen come from a sportswriter who covers the team though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Ndiaye gets him with the left forearm, left hip, and slaps him in the face with his right hand. Refs decide to play on because . . . well, Pac-12...
Were they even PAC-12 refs? I thought the visiting team brought the refs. Or is that only with major conferences?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicat wrote:
azcat34 wrote:Has Miller said why he isn't starting? It seems like a really strange thing to continue to bring him off the bench for York.

Looks healthy too.
Someone said something about him asking to come off the bench as a spark. Haven't seen come from a sportswriter who covers the team though.
They talked about this at length on the radio pregame show yesterday. They were all pretty much in agreement that,if RHJ has the right mental makeup to come off the bench, it's best to get that spark of energy. They also pointed out that York might need the starter mindset to be effective (i.e. confidence).
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Looks healthy too.
They talked about this at length on the radio pregame show yesterday. They were all pretty much in agreement that,if RHJ has the right mental makeup to come off the bench, it's best to get that spark of energy. They also pointed out that York might need the starter mindset to be effective (i.e. confidence).
I'm down with that. As long as RHJ is playing 25+ minutes a game, I don't care if he starts out in the stands selling lemonade.