lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: lets talk '16

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: we are getting JJ so everyone can calm down now.
yes
gumby

Post by gumby »

az91 wrote:It seems like our 2016-17 season and the next few years, to some extent, depend on whether we can get the elusive signed LOI from JJ. If he signs, the Final Four is not out of the question next year and the future looks bright. If he does not sign, next year will be a mediocre at best season and the voices saying Miller has peaked are going to get louder.
Meaning your posts will get even gloomier? Nothing to be done about ridiculous "voices" (including yours?) that use one recruit to determine Miller's arc. Injuries happen. A healthy Ray Smith would mean three elite-level recruits next year: Trier, Lauri, Smith. That's not counting high level guys like Simon, PJC and Comanche. Toss in Allen and Ristic, and that's a lot of good recruiting, without landing one more guy (and he will bring in more).

That adds up to "mediocre at best?" Miller's been to the Elite Eight with less heralded talent. At Arizona and XU.

P.S. Also think it's fallacy to think we could've had Leaf and Lauri, or Rabb and Anderson. So when people bemoan those, they need to consider what we got instead. Didn't exactly come up empty.
Right where I want to be.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

On the subject of recruiting, what exactly happened to Dorsey and him de-committing and going to Oregon? He committed to Miller before Trier, no? Did Dorsey leave because Trier was coming here? Or because of Allen & PJC?

Is it me, or does it just seem like Arizona has recruited some malcontents who can't stand competition (Jerrett, Leaf)? It doesn't seem like other programs have this problem (I'm sure they do).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dorsey committed before the coaches decided if they really wanted him over a few others at his position.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Chicat wrote:Dorsey committed before the coaches decided if they really wanted him over a few others at his position.
So we wanted Trier over Dorsey?

He certainly seems to be putting up good numbers at Oregon. Better than numbers than Trier (if that's the case).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
yes
Wow. That's about as close to being "where we want to be" as you can get.

I'd gladly trade a loss today for a JJ commitment in the spring. Actually, I'd trade a 4th place Pac finish this season for a JJ commitment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

carolinacat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Dorsey committed before the coaches decided if they really wanted him over a few others at his position.

He certainly seems to be putting up good numbers at Oregon. Better than numbers than Trier (if that's the case).
That has zero relevance to me this early in their freshman seasons. Let's let their college careers play out before we go anointing one better than the other because he gets 3 points more per game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Chicat wrote:
carolinacat wrote:

That has zero relevance to me this early in their freshman seasons. Let's let their college careers play out before we go anointing one better than the other because he gets 3 points more per game.
They don't seem to really be playing the same position anyway. Dorsey is more of a point guard as far (or combo guard) as far as I can tell. Trier much more like a true 2-guard or even a 3. Seems to me that we could have had room for both on the floor at the same time.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Josh J hope you saw it
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thought the whole Dorsey thing was more about Simon and not Trier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
yes
:D
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

rgdeuce wrote:Thought the whole Dorsey thing was more about Simon and not Trier
I love Simon but I would take Dorsey over simon
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think it was a little Simon and a little PJC.
eoe

Post by eoe »

97cats wrote:
yes
It'll be a mess if we don't considering we lose our entire front-court and really only have Smith (with Pitts for depth) at the 3.

We lose Tollefson, Zeus, and Anderson at the 4/5 and York at the 2. Even if Trier sticks around, that's a ton of production lost.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It'll be ok. What we lose in production in the front court, we gain in quickness.

I think Miller realizes that the Big Countrys in the post only carry a team so far. Bringing in more Bramlett and Davison types and sticking to one Ristic should make our post game more adaptable and less lumbering.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I do remember the whispers : Simon doesn't want to play w Dorsey, he's a bit of a malcontent, a chucker, too much Mark Lyons in his game, his circle is demanding he play PG, etc.

Hindsight being what it is , I'd take Dorsey now and deal w the fallout. Sometimes he has blinders on and is focused solely on scoring, but so is Trier sometimes when guys are wide open. Dorsey is a great player and I've seen him make some nice passes. U never really know until u get a kid on campus and in practice but I'd love to see this team w Dorsey and Trier and York. Minutes would be tough to come by tho.

As it is I like our team and think a guy like Simon will be invaluable as an upperclassman, even if his O game is never fully polished.

In hindsight id also love to have Damian Lee as our main 3 man w Tolly backing him up. Kid is a monster.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pretty sure everyone wanted Lee beforehand.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I know I'm just bitter.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PennZona20 wrote:I do remember the whispers : Simon doesn't want to play w Dorsey, he's a bit of a malcontent, a chucker, too much Mark Lyons in his game, his circle is demanding he play PG, etc.

Hindsight being what it is , I'd take Dorsey now and deal w the fallout. Sometimes he has blinders on and is focused solely on scoring, but so is Trier sometimes when guys are wide open. Dorsey is a great player and I've seen him make some nice passes. U never really know until u get a kid on campus and in practice but I'd love to see this team w Dorsey and Trier and York. Minutes would be tough to come by tho.

As it is I like our team and think a guy like Simon will be invaluable as an upperclassman, even if his O game is never fully polished.

In hindsight id also love to have Damian Lee as our main 3 man w Tolly backing him up. Kid is a monster.
Two graduate transfers in one year? Playing the same position?

And can I just say that Dorsey on this team would be a direct injection of pure hell?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tollefsen wasn't coming if Lee was.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tolly and Lee? No.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

U wouldn't trade Tolly for Lee???

I actually like Tolly. He's sneaky good on the O glass and is real crafty from 16 feet in.

I guess it's pointless to cry over spilt milk w this team now. I still like this team and think , if God willing, we r healthy come March minus Smith, we can be dangerous.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PennZona20 wrote:U wouldn't trade Tolly for Lee???
That's not a choice we or the coaches got to make.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lets give the Dorsey vs Simon thing some time, as in, talk to me when they are both juniors, before we make any judgments. There is a reason Miller wanted one over the other and if I recall, several big programs soured on Dorsey over time. That blond bombshell may be incredible the first few months, until she gives you syphilis and starts banging your friends. Then you start wishing you went after the quiet brunette who was still growing into her body.

And Miller wanted Trier over Briscoe too if I recall. Give that one time too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PennZona20 wrote:U wouldn't trade Tolly for Lee???

I actually like Tolly. He's sneaky good on the O glass and is real crafty from 16 feet in.

I guess it's pointless to cry over spilt milk w this team now. I still like this team and think , if God willing, we r healthy come March minus Smith, we can be dangerous.
No. Saying we wouldn't get both. You mentioned Tolly as Lee's back-up.

That kind of thinking keeps occurring. Lee and Tolly. Leaf and Lauri. Rabb and Anderson. (Why would Rabb do that when he wants to play right away?)
Last edited by gumby on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

carolinacat wrote:

I still want Trier every day and twice on Sunday...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Sounds like our chances of landing JJackson are getting slimmer

http://www.hngn.com/articles/157754/201 ... a-lock.htm" target="_blank

By now many of the top recruits in the 2016 class have already decided where they will play their college basketball but Jackson is the best guy still available. Jackson is a consensus top three player in the class and is even ranked first by some outlets. The 6 foot-7 shooting guard is from Detroit, Michigan and has relationships with some of Michigan States commits so that may play a huge factor in his decision as he said "it would be real hard" to not commit to Michigan State.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dmjcat wrote:Sounds like our chances of landing JJackson are getting slimmer

By now many of the top recruits in the 2016 class have already decided where they will play their college basketball but Jackson is the best guy still available. Jackson is a consensus top three player in the class and is even ranked first by some outlets. The 6 foot-7 shooting guard is from Detroit, Michigan and has relationships with some of Michigan States commits so that may play a huge factor in his decision as he said "it would be real hard" to not commit to Michigan State.
Since I know the context of the source of that quote, I can tell you that Arizona's chances of landing Jackson are not getting slimmer. Similarly, when you break up with someone, it's advisable to tell her that it's really hard to do that, rather than telling her how excited you are about that bucktoothed cowgirl down at the Dew Drop Inn.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm liking our chances with JJ. 97 is confident, so we should be too.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:
yes
:)
Puerco

Crystal Ball

Post by Puerco »

Dude from the Kentucky site switched from us to MSU, and then Jerry Meyer switched from MSU to us. I'll take that trade.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Re: Crystal Ball

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Dude from the Kentucky site switched from us to MSU, and then Jerry Meyer switched from MSU to us. I'll take that trade.
That's the problem with the composite. A lot of guessing based on info obtained and presented by other writers and fansites. All those switches really mean is that he's not going to UK.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In the meantime, be glad that media personalities unfamiliar with this recruitment have cause to forecast Jackson to State. It serves to balance out guesses enough to sustain the protracted recruitment, which serves Jackson's circle for their own reasons and serves Izzo's reputation in his return to elite recruiting.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Josh J's Mom. Interesting thoughts.

Josh Jackson’s mom wants to alter high-level recruiting
4:27 p.m. EST December 4, 2015

Jones says her son will take all five of his official visits, and he’s not expected to make a college decision until the spring. While Jones has been critical of the NCAA and the way it treats prospective student-athletes, she quickly shot down any chance of Jackson skipping college altogether for a season overseas before he heads off to the NBA.

“I’ve read that crap,” she says of the overseas rumors. “Josh wants to go to college, so Josh will be on a college campus. He’s definitely going to do that.

“If he entertained (going overseas), I would definitely entertain it. Because that’s how much I think the NCAA is messed up. … But my kid is going to college.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /76797766/" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

“I never let him do anything wrong. I always corrected him,” she said. “And I always stressed defense. When I taught Josh, I taught him how to dribble and defend. That’s all we really worked on. And then, some of the other stuff, he picked up on his own.

“If a kid knows how to dribble, everything else comes easy. And if you can play defense, more likely than not, you will be on the court. It starts with defense.”
Sounds like Miller should give her a coaching gig. After Josh graduates, of course!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

"I've read that crap."

I like his mom's style.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Sounds like our chances of landing JJackson are getting slimmer

Since I know the context of the source of that quote, I can tell you that Arizona's chances of landing Jackson are not getting slimmer. Similarly, when you break up with someone, it's advisable to tell her that it's really hard to do that, rather than telling her how excited you are about that bucktoothed cowgirl down at the Dew Drop Inn.
If he chooses Sparty, we're not going to "just be friends."
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UNLV and UCLA still in it?? hmmm some doubts about that

USA TODAY High School Sports December 6, 2015

Still uncommitted, Jackson is deciding between Kansas, Arizona, Michigan State, UNLV and UCLA.

He may be a Michigan native who holds the Spartans dear, but he’s in no hurry to make a decision on where he wants to continue his career. He noted that Bridges has been urging him to go to Michigan State, which would take the top recruiting class that Tom Izzo has ever signed to a level beyond.

“I wish I could just make this decision tomorrow, but I’m still not sure where I want to go and I know this is one of the most important decisions I ever make in my life, so I want to make sure I don’t have any regrets about it,” he said.

For Jackson, while colleges await his declaration, it’s all about the team.

(My goals are) to win as many games as possible,” he said, “and get better as we do it.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/josh-jackso ... lific-prep" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's AZ or MSU.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

So did I!!!

I thought it was Trier or Briscoe.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Any updates on signing this kid?

Andrew Jones's Crystal Ball Predictions

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:Any updates on signing this kid?

Andrew Jones's Crystal Ball Predictions

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
If Arizona wants to land him they're going to have to get him back on campus before he makes his decision I imagine. He's visiting Texas this weekend and it's much easier for them to go see him and put the press on him than it is for us at this point. Rumor is he may make his decision by the end of this month.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Thanks for the update. Maybe his Texas visit ends with an big L?? :)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:Thanks for the update. Maybe his Texas visit ends with an big L?? :)
If he is committing in December I don't see how it'll be to anywhere else other than Texas, unless Arizona can convince him to visit for our UNLV game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Don't underestimate Shaka's pull in Austin. He's a great coach, and guys love playing for him. Not sure we land AJ.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Don't underestimate Shaka's pull in Austin. He's a great coach, and guys love playing for him. Not sure we land AJ.
And it looks like UT is about to upset UNC, or at the least, play one hell of a home game against them :-(
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Damn, HUGE upset win and Shaka's first signature victory today during Jones's visit :-(
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I don't think we were getting Jones out of Texas anyways. I think I read that his dad has health issues, probably wants to stay close to home.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My understanding is that Jones's dad really likes Arizona. But he is in a wheelchair and travel is a big challenge for him. The fact that he made it out to Tucson for the visit was a really big deal.

A December decision would favor Arizona but the fact that he has no more visits to Arizona could mean he's moving on faster than we'd hoped. Even if he had committed to Arizona on his visit in late summer, I wouldn't have been shocked if he'd decomit later.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's AZ or MSU.

Hmmm! His buddies are pulling him to MSU, but he got close to Miller on the USA team and likes him as a person and a coach.

If you were 2 or 3 years away from millions of dollars and a rock star lifestyle, which would you pick?