UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by gumby »

Yeah, it's tough. Even Love, Westbrook, Collison and Mbah Moute lost two games. Though the conference will be weaker than back then.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Yeah, it's tough. Even Love, Westbrook, Collison and Mbah Moute lost two games. Though the conference will be weaker than back then.

I can't think of very many teams being better, or even as good, as last year. We are one of those teams that are, obviously. I think Utah will be better...maybe Colorado is as good as they were...Stanford about the same? Who else? UW gonna be any better?

Oregon, Oregon St., uCla, ASU, Cal...they all trend down...Wazzu and USC may be slightly better, but will still suck.

Brutal year for the PAC upcoming. Brutal.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Olsondogg wrote:Brutal year for the PAC upcoming. Brutal.
Unless, of course, you are a Wildcat fan! The other teams just need to be strong enough to prepare us for a championship run.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Unless, of course, you are a Wildcat fan! The other teams just need to be strong enough to prepare us for a championship run.
I am not convinced they are strong enough for that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
Then we need to steal Uconn's uniforms for the NCAA tourney.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Olsondogg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:

There's an argument to be made against this. Kentucky & Florida are both decent examples of teams who have gone through a weak conference schedule to win it all. I think it's easy to say that playing against the highest caliber talent will produce the best advancements for a team that is structured correctly - but it's not a necessity anymore is it?

I think - health & eligibility intact - this is poised to be Coach Miller's best team...and that's really saying something when you think about it.

I don't get into expectations because it's too easy to lose to a hot team in March - but I think this year may be an even better team (on paper) than last years. That's incredible.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah...next year:

better:
utah and maybe us

same:
stanford
colorado
uw
wsu (still terrible)
usc (still bad)

worse:
ucla
asu
oregon
oregon state
cal
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah...next year:

better:
utah and maybe us

same:
stanford
colorado
uw
wsu (still terrible)
usc (still bad)

worse:
ucla
asu
oregon
oregon state
cal
There will be at least one surprise team somewhere on that list. My money is on Washington.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

USC will be way better next season than they were last. They're this season's Utah. Stanford will be better as well. Dwight Powell graduating is addition by subtraction.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Under-the-radar sophomores to watch
CL Brown, ESPN
Elliott Pitts, guard, Arizona. Even with the departure of Nick Johnson, the Wildcats will still have a crowded backcourt. Pitts proved to be a 3-point threat from off the bench last season, shooting 39 percent from deep. That and his 6-foot-5 frame could help him crack the rotation more next season.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... s-to-watch
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

can't necessarily disagree. our starting 5 is phenomenal and our bench is a combo of "good and growing" and "completely unproven freshmen/transfers".

kentucky is stacked with top 40 blue chip players from #1-12 on their roster.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UK still only has one ball and 200 minutes. Who cares about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th player?

I imagine the UK bench does, and if they are that good not wanting to sit on the bench except in garbage time.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:UK still only has one ball and 200 minutes. Who cares about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th player?

I imagine the UK bench does, and if they are that good not wanting to sit on the bench except in garbage time.

This all day. We go 8-9 deep this year easy...and it will be hard to give minutes to every player on the bench that wants mins.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah...there will be guys at the end of kentucky's bench that even as a sophomore or junior are getting 5 minutes a game when they were a top 30 player in their recruiting class.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

the offseason is 230 days long. we're already 126 days into it! 106 days until the season opener. only 77 days until the red/blue game

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

ASUHATER! wrote:the offseason is 230 days long. we're already 126 days into it! 106 days until the season opener. only 77 days until the red/blue game
Shit Yeah. :twisted:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wait...so Pittsburgh is the 1 seed?? I thought for sure we'd be playing chaminade. We'll likely be the only top 15 team there.

prh

Post by prh »

I'd think SDSU is the 1 seed, since they would be the home team in all games (unless they play Chaminade). Is there any practical reason it matters though?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The best team in the tournament always gets the first round bye against chaminade. Should be Arizona

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is better for AZ to play a quality opponent (at least in name) for its resume.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

prh wrote:I'd think SDSU is the 1 seed, since they would be the home team in all games (unless they play Chaminade). Is there any practical reason it matters though?
How is SDSU the Home Team in all games besides playing Chaminade?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wait...so Pittsburgh is the 1 seed?? I thought for sure we'd be playing chaminade. We'll likely be the only top 15 team there.
That just means more good wins for us. See the opportunity.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Happy with what we got.

Everyone else lives in fear.
prh

Post by prh »

ASUHATER! wrote:The best team in the tournament always gets the first round bye against chaminade. Should be Arizona
Maui seeded 1-8 through the 2008 tournament, and the next two years continued the best team opening vs Chaminade. Starting with the 2011 tourney, Chaminade hasn't opened with the best team.
3goggles wrote:How is SDSU the Home Team in all games besides playing Chaminade?
Image says that the bottom team is home unless playing Chaminade.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

How many minutes per game will the group of York, Allen and Pitts get at the two? Let's say RHJ hasn't fixed his jumpshot. Let's say Stanley can't connect from three like we hope. Let's say McConnell is still set shooting bricks from distance. We need a shooter on the floor, right? I definitely see Stanley, RHJ, Ashley and Tarc in that starting five, but after tip-off, we probably see those guys doing a lot of rotating at the 3-5 positions, right? Just a thought, since we're getting closer to the season.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Let's not say.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

It's already been said
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

We can say alot of things, doesn't mean we should.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Well said
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:How many minutes per game will the group of York, Allen and Pitts get at the two? Let's say RHJ hasn't fixed his jumpshot. Let's say Stanley can't connect from three like we hope. Let's say McConnell is still set shooting bricks from distance. We need a shooter on the floor, right? I definitely see Stanley, RHJ, Ashley and Tarc in that starting five, but after tip-off, we probably see those guys doing a lot of rotating at the 3-5 positions, right? Just a thought, since we're getting closer to the season.
If we enter the season with 3 starters morphing into incompetent shooters, whether York, Pitts or Allen emerges is irrelevant.

In the old vein too, the only thing you need is to create shots your dudes can make. You can have five guys who can't make anything other than a dunk, and you'll win if you create dunk opportunities on half your possessions.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

We will be better offensively than last year's team, if all the returners improve even a little bit.

TJ will be better. Zeus will be better. Ashley was by far our most efficient offensive threat (3 point shooting, post-ups and FT's). RHJ has been working like crazy on his jump shot, and we know how relentless he is on the boards. SJ may be the most complete freshman to ever play at Arizona. And our bench (York, Pitts, Ristic, Victor, etc...) has to be better offensively than our bench last year (only lost Mayes).

If they can play team defense close to last year's club (NJ and AG were incredible defensive players. Not sure there's anyone on this year's team with their abilities.), this team may be the favorite to take it all come March.

Go CAts!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Late to the party on this tweet, but it really only starts to matter if a game of 12 on 12 breaks out.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Late to the party on this tweet, but it really only starts to matter if a game of 12 on 12 breaks out.
KY is loaded with talent, but it will be very interesting to see how Calipari handles the egos of essentially 12 former high school all-stars looking for playing time. That will either be a nearly impossible team to beat, or it will be a train wreck.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

midnightx wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
KY is loaded with talent, but it will be very interesting to see how Calipari handles the egos of essentially 12 former high school all-stars looking for playing time. That will either be a nearly impossible team to beat, or it will be a train wreck.
How about Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" strategy with Arkansas during the 90s? Would tear a tiring opposition up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The way I see it, Miller's got until February to get his rotations figured out (though it probably won't take that long), make sure everyone knows their role and "buys in," and get them to play with a chip on their shoulder. We need to be nasty.

Aside from that, our guys just need to stay healthy, practice their damn FTs, and respect every opponent.

B-Ash and TJ need to set the tone.

Pac title and a FF. Those are the benchmarks.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Awesome cover. My new desktop.
EOCT wrote:
midnightx wrote:KY is loaded with talent, but it will be very interesting to see how Calipari handles the egos of essentially 12 former high school all-stars looking for playing time. That will either be a nearly impossible team to beat, or it will be a train wreck.
How about Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" strategy with Arkansas during the 90s? Would tear a tiring opposition up.
I don't know how many off-seasons we speculate on a team doing this, and it never happens.

Only programs I've honestly ever seen try this are Monument Valley High School and a couple of Navajo girls programs and middle schools. The results didn't hold up.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If there is anything I think that could perhaps, maybe, take a small step back this y ear it would be the defense. But, I'd take a small step backwards in that area to take a giant step forward in the offense.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

My impression of Cal's Kentucky Wildcats: Tons of talent but very little defense. They win mostly because they are better than everybody else at every position, not because they're a cohesive team. This is where Miller is head and shoulders above Cal.

This is our year! Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Catstatic wrote:My impression of Cal's Kentucky Wildcats: Tons of talent but very little defense. They win mostly because they are better than everybody else at every position, not because they're a cohesive team. This is where Miller is head and shoulders above Cal.

This first paragraph nails it. They win based on having talented players, not playing great basketball. There is a difference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Catstatic wrote:My impression of Cal's Kentucky Wildcats: Tons of talent but very little defense. They win mostly because they are better than everybody else at every position, not because they're a cohesive team. This is where Miller is head and shoulders above Cal.

This first paragraph nails it. They win based on having talented players, not playing great basketball. There is a difference.
I would still rather be really talented. There's a lot of time to develop cohesiveness.

Good thing we're really talented too. If I was looking for how to distinguish us from KY, I'd look to maturity, physical and emotional.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Kentucky doesn't have a single SF on roster. Going to be a lot of 3 guard sets for them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:Kentucky doesn't have a single SF on roster. Going to be a lot of 3 guard sets for them.
They played Poythress at the 3 a lot last year. Which either tells you they have a SF or it proves your point.

Booker can rotate up pretty easily at 6'5. The bigger issue they have is working a rotation or crunch time team out of that glut of talent. They have tons of players, but if you don't have a decent rotation to revert to when the times get rough, it's much harder.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:Kentucky doesn't have a single SF on roster. Going to be a lot of 3 guard sets for them.
They played Poythress at the 3 a lot last year. Which either tells you they have a SF or it proves your point.

Booker can rotate up pretty easily at 6'5. The bigger issue they have is working a rotation or crunch time team out of that glut of talent. They have tons of players, but if you don't have a decent rotation to revert to when the times get rough, it's much harder.
Lol I'd say it proves my point. If I'm Kentucky I definitely go with a Ullis, Harrison, Harrison, post, post lineup.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Lol I'd say it proves my point. If I'm Kentucky I definitely go with a Ullis, Harrison, Harrison, post, post lineup.
I'd say that's a good crunch time lineup. I don't really love the Harrisons, but I like them better when neither has to play the point. They have plenty of flexibility b/c the Harrisons and Booker can all play the 3 if necessary. Working through rotations and getting people to share the ball would be big.

I bet KY would love for Ulis to turn into a true PG they can play in crunch time. Even during their run last year, it was ugly with the Harrisons trying to initiate the offense. That said, if they play hard on D, they will be really good. We talk about our length, but they have insane amounts of length and rim protection.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

I would still rather be really talented. There's a lot of time to develop cohesiveness.

Good thing we're really talented too. If I was looking for how to distinguish us from KY, I'd look to maturity, physical and emotional.
Cal doesn't teach cohesiveness. The game I watched this weekend was indicative of every UK game I watch, whether it be in August or March: A bunch of talented players showcasing that talent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Cal doesn't teach cohesiveness. The game I watched this weekend was indicative of every UK game I watch, whether it be in August or March: A bunch of talented players showcasing that talent.
Actually, Cal has done a staggering job getting very talented guys to buy into the team concept. The man made DeMarcus Cousins look half sane. He's regularly had top 10 recruits in supporting roles and they accept it. Poythress was top ten and he basically didn't have a play run for him all year last year.

Cal gets a bad rap, but he puts together pretty cohesive teams for the talent level. Only the Noel year did it really blow up in his face.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'd say that's a good crunch time lineup. I don't really love the Harrisons, but I like them better when neither has to play the point. They have plenty of flexibility b/c the Harrisons and Booker can all play the 3 if necessary. Working through rotations and getting people to share the ball would be big.
I agree with you but man would I love to see one of those three try to cover RHJ.