Brandon Ashley

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Brandon Ashley

Post by Merkin »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -by-august

Arizona fans are no doubt thrilled that next season, potentially, could be as good as the last one.

And it's likely plenty are still wondering what could have been. Sean Miller's group rightfully played its way to a No. 1 seed, but fell in dramatic fashion -- in one of the best games of the 2014 tournament -- to second-seeded Wisconsin in the Elite Eight.

If do-it-all forward Brandon Ashley is on the floor in that game, instead of rehabbing an injured foot injury, maybe it's not as close. Maybe Arizona wins. Maybe Arizona gets to the Final Four -- and who knows what happens from there.

But the Wildcats will have Ashley back next season, in addition to a few more veterans. And newcomer/stud freshman shooting guard Stanley Johnson. They look really good. We've got them ranked No. 3 heading into the fall. So long as Ashley is past the mend and in the mix.

Coach Sean Miller, who will work with Team USA's Under 18 team next week, gave an update to the media this week on Ashley's recovery. Turns out the Wildcats junior will be on campus this summer for classes and is expected to be playing at full force by August.

“He's a little bit over four months (since his Feb. 1 injury) and this four months really was about healing,” Miller said, "really allowing everything to take shape, to stay off it. The one thing he's doing is he's started to walk under water. He has less and less soreness; it's not pain anymore.
“We look at June, July, August as being pivotal. At that point we would like to see him return to form and be out there. He's been in a difficult situation of taking it slow. It's not easy just to do nothing.
“He's lifting weights and when he comes back he's going to be on a mission to returning back to five-on-five fullcourt. And once he does that we have to be smart making sure we push him and yet not push him too much. But so far so good with Brandon. We expect a full recovery, not only here but allowing him to leave Arizona and have a long career beyond.”
The right kind of words from Miller at this point. Even without a healthy Ashley it would be fair to have Arizona in the top 10 somehwere. But with him, they're a true title contender.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Brandon Ashley

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maybe? Maybe we win? Maybe we get to the Final Four (incidentally, that would be the same thing as winning)?

Getting past that, I like taking it step by step with Ashley. Reinjury is the devil. As long as he can avoid that, the rest will fall into place. We don't need a full speed Ashley for November. We need him for March. The long view is exactly the right tack to take, because we have plenty of talent to cover while he reacclimates.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That article was actually a little disheartening to me. I was hoping, maybe stupidly, that he'd be further along in his rehab and would be playing pick up at some point this summer. From where he is currently and what Sean said, I'm wondering just how long it will take before he's back on the court.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same here, first thing that came to mind was "Bill Walton".
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:That article was actually a little disheartening to me. I was hoping, maybe stupidly, that he'd be further along in his rehab and would be playing pick up at some point this summer. From where he is currently and what Sean said, I'm wondering just how long it will take before he's back on the court.
Miller learned his lesson with rushing KP back. Would rather take it slow now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:That article was actually a little disheartening to me. I was hoping, maybe stupidly, that he'd be further along in his rehab and would be playing pick up at some point this summer. From where he is currently and what Sean said, I'm wondering just how long it will take before he's back on the court.
Miller learned his lesson with rushing KP back. Would rather take it slow now.
Amen. We're basically 4 months past the injury and 5 months from a game. It doesn't matter where he is in August. It matters that he is fully prepared when it's go time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i'm not concerned. seems like he's on track. we just need him full strength by the time new year's rolls around.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

I have no doubt he'll be 100% come October. His mid range jumper will open space for Kaleb down low and provide the balance the offense needs. Can't wait to see his hunger.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

BAsh is going to be a beast this year with something to prove. I can't wait to see it!
etank34

Post by etank34 »

I will hold my breath every time he comes down for a rebound though.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Need him to be 100 percent -- foot and conditioning -- by March. We don't exactly have a rugged schedule that calls for rushing him. Plus, we have the depth to still win as his minutes increase.

Be good for Victor, Ristic and others, too.

The complication would be him wanting to go all-out sooner to showcase his League potential.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Need him to be 100 percent -- foot and conditioning -- by March. We don't exactly have a rugged schedule that calls for rushing him. Plus, we have the depth to still win as his minutes increase.

Be good for Victor, Ristic and others, too.

The complication would be him wanting to go all-out sooner to showcase his League potential.
C'est un bon point, mon vendeur de crème glacée.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's shown enough that if he was full blast in March, the pros will take care of itself. Reinjuring it would be a huge blow to pro aspirations.

Just be smart. Plus, it's early June. I would only be freaking out at this point if he hurt it again. Take it from someone who decimated his ankle and returned way too early. Let it heal.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

etank34 wrote:I will hold my breath every time he comes down for a rebound though.
Thought the problem was with a Stanford player's foot coming down on top of BAsh's foot, not the foot giving way.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It was Cal, but yeah.
4Life

Post by 4Life »

I concur with the idea that he doesn't need to rush back.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I think a 100% recovery next year will be good, and at the same time, in the name of taking it slow, maybe a second year of 100% would be good.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Not concerned at all. Smart to take it slow and let it heal like Miller said. Captain obvious but feet are so important haha, people take the foot for granted IMO. If I was a high-level athlete I'd get foot massages almost daily.

When last year's NCAAB season is mentioned in my presence I love and hate(!) to bring up the fact that AZ never lost a game with our full roster! Definitely have unfinished business this year.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

97 was pretty adamant that he would be 100 percent for the upcoming season. No need to rush back, plenty of time left before the season starts.
gumby

Post by gumby »

psiclist23 wrote:I think a 100% recovery next year will be good, and at the same time, in the name of taking it slow, maybe a second year of 100% would be good.
I concur with this selfless comment.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Last night, Pac-12 Network replayed the Stanford game, our final victory before Ashley got hurt. He had 10 points (3-9), three boards, played stellar D.

Stanford led throughout, until the Wear Down.

WearDownArizona ... is that taken?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Man I'm pulling for Brandon. With him back by August, Cats should be running
and gunning big time.

Arizona hopes Brandon Ashley is back at 100 percent by August
By Matt Norlander | College Basketball Writer
June 5, 2014 3:08 pm ET

Arizona fans are no doubt thrilled that next season, potentially, could be as good as the last one.

And it's likely plenty are still wondering what could have been. Sean Miller's group rightfully played its way to a No. 1 seed, but fell in dramatic fashion -- in one of the best games of the 2014 tournament -- to second-seeded Wisconsin in the Elite Eight.

If do-it-all forward Brandon Ashley is on the floor in that game, instead of rehabbing an injured foot injury, maybe it's not as close. Maybe Arizona wins. Maybe Arizona gets to the Final Four -- and who knows what happens from there.

But the Wildcats will have Ashley back next season, in addition to a few more veterans. And newcomer/stud freshman shooting guard Stanley Johnson. They look really good. We've got them ranked No. 3 heading into the fall. So long as Ashley is past the mend and in the mix.

Coach Sean Miller, who will work with Team USA's Under 18 team next week, gave an update to the media this week on Ashley's recovery. Turns out the Wildcats junior will be on campus this summer for classes and is expected to be playing at full force by August.

“He's a little bit over four months (since his Feb. 1 injury) and this four months really was about healing,” Miller said, "really allowing everything to take shape, to stay off it. The one thing he's doing is he's started to walk under water. He has less and less soreness; it's not pain anymore.

We look at June, July, August as being pivotal. At that point we would like to see him return to form and be out there. He's been in a difficult situation of taking it slow. It's not easy just to do nothing.

“He's lifting weights and when he comes back he's going to be on a mission to returning back to five-on-five fullcourt. And once he does that we have to be smart making sure we push him and yet not push him too much. But so far so good with Brandon. We expect a full recovery, not only here but allowing him to leave Arizona and have a long career beyond.”

The right kind of words from Miller at this point. Even without a healthy Ashley it would be fair to have Arizona in the top 10 somehwere. But with him, they're a true title contender.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -by-august
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I really like that article. Staying on campus is smart for Brandon, BC it gives much better access to treatment. The push, but not too hard, sounds like the absolute right approach. If he can play freely in August, that gives him 3 months to shake rust before the games count.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Brandon Ashley is taking my favorite current 'Cat tag away from Nick Johnson this year. It's his team, it's his time. He's surrounded by incredible talent & all of the pieces. I'm hopeful for a Tim Duncan-like season out of him - he's got it inside - ready to come out.

Go Bash!!
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Formerly McLurvin
gumby

Post by gumby »

110 percent, or don't bother.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Calling 1st time donors to thank them
Machina

Post by Machina »

Brandon was not happy yesterday.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well that was cryptic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Machina wrote:Brandon was not happy yesterday.
And..........about What?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He couldn't watch the 49er's at Arcadia Tavern.
Machina

Post by Machina »

MountainCat wrote:
Machina wrote:Brandon was not happy yesterday.
And..........about What?
Assuming it had to do with the 49ers but I did not confirm it with him because he did appear to be upset.

Was walking out of the stadium right next to him in his Crabtree jersey.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

He did watch at University of Phoenix Stadium.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Guess I don't care unless it's related to the basketball program & the coaches.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Le douche is present
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Worst. Threadbump. Ever.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAGreg wrote:97 was pretty adamant that he would be 100 percent for the upcoming season. No need to rush back, plenty of time left before the season starts.
I hear 97 won't be back ... but we have Machina as our insider now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Gtfo machina
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sean Miller is looking around.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He can't find his keys.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I mean, I'm assuming it's his keys that he's looking for, but I can't confirm because I can't get his attention because he's looking around.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm just being honest.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Brandon wasn't happy yesterday.

Assuming it had to do with the upcoming tax season but I did not confirm it with him because he did appear to be upset.

Was walking out of the grocery store right next to him and he was holding his receipt.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just saw this tweet from Stanley Johnson
Not Good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I saw PJC over the weekend and he looked constipated.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I saw PJC over the weekend and he looked constipated.
It appears the entire '14 season is about to go to shit.
az91

Post by az91 »

Alieberman wrote:I just saw this tweet from Stanley Johnson
Not Good.
What is Machina's take on this? Can he shed more light on it?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Since when is machina an insider
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Since when is machina an insider
Oh, shut up you hater, why do we need 97 now when we have Machina dropping knowledge like that. I'm surprised PGU hasn't stolen the inside info yet.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Since when is machina an insider
You can't handle dissenting views! Nobody here can.