UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by gumby »

Judging from the sideline reaming, Miller noticed Ryan Anderson's Day Off.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anderson also had that lazy inbounds pass to PJC which was stolen and turned into 2 more points. Lazy defense and lazy pass was a 4 point turn around.

Not just PJC and Tollefsen, teams are going to go right at Ristic too. Athletic teams are just too fast for him and he was really exposed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's amazing how bad two guys who have been in the program for two years (Anderson/Ristic) are at hedging. It's also crazy how lost so many of our guys are on defense in general outside of just mere physical limitations. I'm not sure what Miller can do in a day and a half to get the defense back in shape for the USC game, but let's hope he figures something out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's amazing how bad two guys who have been in the program for two years (Anderson/Ristic) are at hedging. It's also crazy how lost so many of our guys are on defense in general outside of just mere physical limitations. I'm not sure what Miller can do in a day and a half to get the defense back in shape for the USC game, but let's hope he figures something out.
Well for one, Zeus makes just about anyone look bad at it since he does it so well. We have been used to seeing him do it for almost four years now. Dusan is a guy who struggles with simple defensive concepts in general, so someone who doesn't grasp something as simple as rotating to the right spot when the ball moves is going to struggle with that. He's shown he can do it, his heads just not always in the game it seems. Ive seen Anderson do it too, last night was all a lack of effort and being out of it mentally. I mean, all you can do is remind them for the millionth time the importance of defense and what Miller wants them to do out there and to pull their heads out of their asses. I expect there will be some hotel conference room with athletic taped carpet walkthroughs/rehashing so they can physically feel where they need to be for the millionth time, but mostly to give another opportunity for Miller to chew their asses again. They will watch film so they can see it play out, just to give Miller another opportunity to chew their asses. All we needed last night was one of two things to win that game, hustle, or focus. Pick one, we win. They know better, and know both are expected of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ristic is never going to be as good as Zeus on the hedge. He does not have the footspeed and lateral movement necessary. That's why any mental lapses count a lot. Zeus is just quicker and will make up for it.

I would like to see Anderson be better. He does have better speed and should be able to be good. Like RG says, part is just that we're spoiled with Zeus because Zeus is really, really good at positioning and team D.

In fairness to Anderson and Ristic, the other issue is that we don't have TJ, NJ, RHJ or AG to help. We could have gotten away with less than stellar hedging in the past because we had some really dominant perimeter defenders fighting through screens. This year, we have a good defender in Allen, a solid but not physically imposing guy in York and a few streaky guys.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trier can be a lot better on defense than what he's shown. I get the feeling though no one asked him to play it in high school/AAU.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Trier can be a lot better on defense than what he's shown. I get the feeling though no one asked him to play it in high school/AAU.
A lot of it is people can get away with it in HS because they have a lot of physical talent. They only have to get up for the big ones. Then in college, everybody they guard is a big one and they aren't ready for sustained intensity and not always having a physical advantage.

It is a learning curve.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Trier can be a lot better on defense than what he's shown. I get the feeling though no one asked him to play it in high school/AAU.
A lot of it is people can get away with it in HS because they have a lot of physical talent. They only have to get up for the big ones. Then in college, everybody they guard is a big one and they aren't ready for sustained intensity and not always having a physical advantage.

It is a learning curve.

They also get away with it in HS since the coaches often tell them not to play defense. Instead of 5 really good guys on the court per team like in college, in high school there might only be a couple, so the coaches don't want them fouling out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

This team has played much better defense than it did last night. It's not about getting back to the last few years; it's getting back to earlier this year. And then becoming consistent.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Going to be a stressful grind of a conference season...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

it feels like our soft non-conference / scant road schedule might be catching up to us a little bit. some poor decisions down the stretch, disorganization on offense, boise state-level defending. better to learn now than in march, i guess, but it would've been even better in november-december than now during conference play. we can't sleepwalk through the first 36 minutes of our games and expect to eke out a win in the pac this year.

hope our guys can pull it together for uw next week and defend home court. bear down.
Last edited by dirtbags on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

They have shown they are capable of solid defense. It just doesn't help when you decide to really lock down only in the last 5 minutes. String it together for an entire game, PROFIT!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dirtbags wrote:it feels like our soft non-conference / scant road schedule might be catching up to us a little bit. some poor decisions down the stretch, disorganization on offense, boise state-level defending. better to learn now than in march.
Great point Dirtbags!!! I hate weak-ass non-conference scheduling.....we are Arizona and should never be afraid of a tough OOC.....what gives with this change in strategy? I loved the fact that Lute seemed to never shy away from tough OOC.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

well, Miller said in the preseason that the soft scheduling was because the team was green with a steep learning curve. our guys were a little better than that, though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Goal for the season now is to just make the tournament.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dirtbags wrote:well, Miller said in the preseason that the soft scheduling was because the team was green with a steep learning curve. our guys were a little better than that, though.
Thanks, guess I recall that BUT are we ever weak enough to be scared of a tough OOC? So what, we lose some of those games but I think what we learn is far more valuable....playing cupcakes or weak teams is never good (unless it's football) IMHO.

We are Arizona and will always have the talent to compete with anyone....I think we'd have been better suited for this tough LA road trip had we played a tougher OOC....but then again, in CSM I trust.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Goal for the season now is to just make the tournament.
Surely you're putting all your marbles in the NIT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

WildcatStunner wrote:They have shown they are capable of solid defense.
Against whom have they shown this exactly?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
dirtbags wrote:well, Miller said in the preseason that the soft scheduling was because the team was green with a steep learning curve. our guys were a little better than that, though.
Thanks, guess I recall that BUT are we ever weak enough to be scared of a tough OOC? So what, we lose some of those games but I think what we learn is far more valuable....playing cupcakes or weak teams is never good (unless it's football) IMHO.

We are Arizona and will always have the talent to compete with anyone....I think we'd have been better suited for this tough LA road trip had we played a tougher OOC....but then again, in CSM I trust.
I honestly don't think a stronger OOC schedule would've made this team any better. I think that's just a fool's gold argument.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Those 4-5 minute stretches the last two games in regulation. You think those runs we went on to tie the games were caused by opponents missing wide open looks? We just have a problem putting that all together. Now it is not all sunshine and lollipops here, our guards for the most part were outplayed in LA, and it is clear Anderson and Ristic have a very hard time recovering on pick and roll situations when they hedge. Outside of Tarc, the defense has been abysmal for most of the games. However, as I mentioned before, those two stretches in the last 4-5 minutes of the last two games, we have shown capable defense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

WildcatStunner wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Those 4-5 minute stretches the last two games in regulation. You think those runs we went on to tie the games were caused by opponents missing wide open looks? We just have a problem putting that all together. Now it is not all sunshine and lollipops here, our guards for the most part were outplayed in LA, and it is clear Anderson and Ristic have a very hard time recovering on pick and roll situations when they hedge. Outside of Tarc, the defense has been abysmal for most of the games. However, as I mentioned before, those two stretches in the last 4-5 minutes of the last two games, we have shown capable defense.
Lol ok I'll buy 4-5 minute stretches, that's a fair statement. I don't understand why this team can't be more consistent than that though, it's so frustrating. Well I do understand there are physical limitations that this team has, but outside of that ugh.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

I honestly don't think a stronger OOC schedule would've made this team any better. I think that's just a fool's gold argument.
tough to argue one way or another, but it seems that prior experience as a team with tough in-game situations and having more than one true road game under our belt before this weekend could've helped.

this season is definitely gonna be as tough and crazy as expected, though. i wonder how many teams the pac-12 will send to the tournament -- i saw the other day that 9(!) teams are currently projected. and our conf rpi is just a few thousandths of a point shy from the #1 spot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

tough to argue one way or another, but it seems that prior experience as a team with tough in-game situations and having more than one true road game under our belt before this weekend could've helped.

this season is definitely gonna be as tough and crazy as expected, though. i wonder how many teams the pac-12 will send to the tournament -- i saw the other day that 9(!) teams are currently projected. and our conf rpi is just a few thousandths of a point shy from the #1 spot.
I completely agree with the bolded part. I just don't think a tougher OOC would've made this team any better than what it is today. A tougher OOC schedule wouldn't have changed our limitations. Hell the whole purpose of this OOC schedule was to give the team confidence and we have some guys who are far from playing with that at the moment.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ChooChooCat wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol ok I'll buy 4-5 minute stretches, that's a fair statement. I don't understand why this team can't be more consistent than that though, it's so frustrating. Well I do understand there are physical limitations that this team has, but outside of that ugh.
I wish I could blame it on youth, but the reality is that all the guys that log major minutes have been with the program for at least two years (Save for Trier and Tollefsen).

Kadeem Allen - RS last year, playing this year.
Gabe York - SR, fourth year in the program
Trier - Fr, first year
Ryan Anderson - Second year, sat out last year, transfer rule.
Zeus - SR, fourth year in the program

Risitc - Second year in the program
PJC - Second year in the program
Tollefsen - First year in the program

So almost all the guys have spent at least one year with the program. I would hope that they get better on defense, but it is going to be an uphill battle.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

We will see a different team this Thursday as #24 should be back.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote:We will see a different team this Thursday as #24 should be back.
Really? Source?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

#24 - the guy that is shooting 26.9% from the field, 12.5% from the three, and 0.0% from the free throw line? #24 - the guy that has more personal fouls than points scored? #24 - the lowest rated scholarship player on the team? That #24?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pitts hasn't been a factor going back the last 10 games of last season.

Going back even further, last time Pitts scored in double figures was 1/15/15 v. Colorado.

Last double digit game before that was 11/16/14 v. CSU Northridge.

Can't give meaningful minutes to a 2G/wing who can't score.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

#FreeSimon
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pitts is sort of a non-factor.

This team will be fine.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Really? Source?
I'm not an idiot to reveal that but this person is very confident that #24 will be in uniform on Thursday. Take it for what you want.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Really? Source?
I'm not an idiot to reveal that but this person is very confident that #24 will be in uniform on Thursday. Take it for what you want.
Well, I'm sure the team will enjoy being whole again, but as others have already pointed out, it's not as though Pitts is Nick Johnson.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pitts is sort of a non-factor.

This team will be fine.
Nice to see you keeping your head after the disappointment of this past road trip. ASUHater on the other hand... losing toss up games on the road to likely tournament teams does not put an NCAA bid in doubt. And despite his opinion to the contrary, I think USC is better than UCLA.

We have our work cut out for us, that is for sure... and they need to bounce back. We should be able to TBC against both the Wahington schools this week, and I expect we will. If we don't, then I will start to get concerned.

We had the toughest 3 game stretch of the season - all on the road - and had one solid win, a loss on a shot at the buzzer, and we're edged out in 4OT. Hardly a time to give up on the season.

This team needs defensive intensity from the start and they will be fine. I have more confidence that Miller can fix that issue than any other coach in CBB.

PS - Zeus is turning into the beast we have all been waiting for. That bodes well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My biggest question going forward is, where will the road wins come? I don't see any given wins on the road this year. With that said, my revised forecast for our remaining schedule:

UW - W
WSU - W
@Stanford - W
@Cal - L
OU - W
OSU - W
@WSU - W
@UW - L
UCLA - W
USC - W
ASU - W
@CU - L
@Utah - L
Cal - W
Stanford - W

So this would get us to 12-6, which is about where I think we finish. I don't think this will be good enough to win the league but probably should be good enough for top 3 or 4 and a solid tourney bid. Not sure if we lose at CU or Stanford, but I doubt we win both of those road games.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I need a hug
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nobody in the world has shittier luck than Sean Miller. Nobody
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not that Trier can be replaced, but saw on another thread that Pitts is back Thursday, but not confirmed.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Main Event wrote: I need a hug
I said in the game thread that I hoped his hand wasn't broken. Had seen it long before the free throws. Think I saw it happen on a three pointer he made (no foul called of course). Had a sinking feeling it was, based on how obviously bad it hurt and how long it stayed that way without numbing/adrenalin etc.. it caused him to miss those free throws for sure.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

rgdeuce wrote:Nobody in the world has shittier luck than Arizona. Nobody

FYP. Football , basketball, Suns... etc
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Main Event wrote: I need a hug
Gulp... Now I am concerned about this season.

Keep your chin up, Allonzo... this could be a lot worse. We'll be counting down the days until you return.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So he's going to miss the rest of January and basically half of February?

That is no bueno, no bueno at all
az91

Post by az91 »

This has been a rough year across the board from Smith's ACL to Zeus' ankle to Pitts' personal issues to Trier's hand.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd like to go on record saying my previous argument about hating not redshirting Simon/Comanche is null and void. My opinion is forever changed due to our ridiculous year of injuries.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Time for Gabe York and KA to step up. If they don't...
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Injuries I know of :

Smith ACL
Zeus Ankle
Trier hand
Pitts ankle
Andersen ankle
Kadeem ankle/knee
Pitts personal issues (not an injury but still)
York ankle
Zeus foot
Simon wrist

I think that is it. That is insane for one team in one year. Never seen anything like it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

So best case scenario, hes back for the UCLA/USC home series I guess? And who knows how long to find his sweet stroke. All we can do is take care of home, and steal a few road games. Finish off strong and win the conference tourny to move up a seed or two. Ugh. How a week can completely change things. The silver lining in all of this, maybe it means he comes back another year
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

PennZona20 wrote:Injuries I know of :

Smith ACL
Zeus Ankle
Trier hand
Pitts ankle
Andersen ankle
Kadeem ankle/knee
Pitts personal issues (not an injury but still)
York ankle
Zeus foot
Simon wrist

I think that is it. That is insane for one team in one year. Never seen anything like it.
can't let kokoskie get too complacent, eh?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:This has been a rough year across the board from Smith's ACL to Zeus' ankle to Pitts' personal issues to Trier's hand.
We could use Pitts right now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
az91 wrote:This has been a rough year across the board from Smith's ACL to Zeus' ankle to Pitts' personal issues to Trier's hand.
We could use Pitts right now.
We're at a place where we just need an experienced body now, blah. God damn these injuries.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My rotation thoughts:

If Chance could spell RA for 5 to 10 mpg, that would help. That would allow us to free Tollefsen to play the 3.

Simon will pick up some minutes, but I'd think SM will begin with Tollefsen at the 3 in place of Trier. PJC can't play the 2, but if he could get more minutes, we can rotate Allen to the 2. Simon, PJC or Comanche would be the guys who could step up their minutes to cover.