lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: lets talk '16

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought there were several players that didn't want to play with Dorsey. Seem to remember Trier and Simon?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wait, so Simmons to AZ is happening?! I leave for a few hours and big things happen!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Definitely looks like we're getting Simmons. Craziest recruitment to end up in Arizona's favor I've ever seen. Still 3 months away from signing day though...
Dorsey and Leaf's decomittments, not to mention the football recruits, have really tempered my excitement on verbals.....this trend seems to be getting worse. Would much rather recruits announce during the signing periods BUT I won't look a gift horse in the mouth either :-)

I'm a Witch-lover and proud of it. BTFD.
Leaf, I agree.

But the staff didn't want Dorsey. They chose Trier over him. It was 100% the right move
Was it an either / or with Dorsey & Trier?
As far as I remember, yes
I am not 100% certain, but I think it was a Simon/ Dorsey decision.

I could be wrong... Because it was our pursuit of Trier/ Briscoe that forecasted the Dorsey de-commit - but I though people said the writing was on the wall with Dorsey when we got Simon's commitment.

As crazy as this sounds... I think Simon may end up the best player in this class. He certainly is not the best now - but I really like that kid's upside.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Interesting stuff UAE and Harvey.....so it sounds like Dorsey is 'difficult'? In that case, no wonder he ended up at Oregon.

Love him or hate him, Dana Altman certainly can coach and recruit. He may well end up being P12 COY.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As I remember it, Miller chose Trier over Briscoe, and Simon coming in was what got Dorsey out.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:As I remember it, Miller chose Trier over Briscoe, and Simon coming in was what got Dorsey out.
That's how I remember it, too... although I think the story re: Briscoe/Trier was 'first to commit'... But I assumed Trier was the higher priority.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

on January 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM, updated January 14, 2016 at 10:30 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Kobi Simmons, a five-star guard in the Class of 2016, is set to announce his college decision on Saturday night.

Don't expect it to be Ohio State.

CBS Sports college basketball insider Jon Rothstein reported on Thursday night that Ohio State is no longer recruiting Simmons. That news comes one night after Simmons said he would be choosing from a final three of the Buckeyes, Kentucky and Arizona.

Sources indicated to cleveland.com last month that Ohio State felt like it was in a good position with Simmons, but the situation has since changed. His crystal ball prediction on 247Sports.com has been trending hard toward Arizona over the last few days.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... suing.html" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jeremy Birmingham @Birm

I can confirm this as well - will NOT be #Buckeyes for Kobi Simmons. https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 3474079744" target="_blank …
7:35 PM - 14 Jan 2016

11 11 Retweets

These Wildcats may seem like a late, surprise entrant in Simmons' recruitment – they've been lurking for a while, however.

Arizona originally offered Simmons in January of 2015 and head coach Sean Miller met with him several times since. It's worth noting he has not been on an official or unofficial visit to Tucson – or, if he has, he did not disclose it publicly.

That does not mean Simmons is any less likely to choose the Wildcats. He explicitly mentioned the school in a tweet, Monday:

His stepfather, Demond Stephens, mentioned the Wildcats as a contender for Simmons' services back in November. At that point, Simmons' top three included UNLV – the Rebels recently fired head coach Dave Rice, understandably altering Simmons' recruitment.

"When [Arizona] has a spot for you, you have to put them right there with anyone and that’s what we’re doing,"

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-stat ... verge-of-a" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kentucky - no longer recruiting him
Ohio St. - no longer recruiting him
UNLV - no coach to recruit him
Arizona - only kind of/sort of recruiting him

Has a 5-star combo guard ever had less college options?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Methinks tOSU is no longer recruiting him because he told them something they didn't want to hear. Recently.

It's intriguing to me that, if this holds, his preferred two options were Calipari and Matta, and he ends up with Miller -- a guy who has close relationships with both of the others.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:It's intriguing to me that, if this holds, his preferred two options were Calipari and Matta, and he ends up with Miller -- a guy who has close relationships with both of the others.
Hmm, didn't think about that. At least it will be easy for CSM to do his due diligence.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PhxCat2013

Post by PhxCat2013 »

First Kobi Simmons, then Josh Jackson.
He touched the BALL, He TOUCHED the ball, HE touched the ball
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:Methinks tOSU is no longer recruiting him because he told them something they didn't want to hear. Recently.

It's intriguing to me that, if this holds, his preferred two options were Calipari and Matta, and he ends up with Miller -- a guy who has close relationships with both of the others.
Ohio State is just trying to save face a la Herb Sendek in the Daniel Bejarano recruitment. OSU expected him to commit to them long ago and he never pulled the trigger. I'm not sure he ever preferred Matta, it was always Calipari.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:As I remember it, Miller chose Trier over Briscoe, and Simon coming in was what got Dorsey out.
That's how I remember it, too... although I think the story re: Briscoe/Trier was 'first to commit'... But I assumed Trier was the higher priority.
Cant remember who it was, but a Bilas level guy was calling one of the earlier Kentucky games and was raving about Briscoe. During that same tangent, he basically said Briscoe was Arizona bound but Arizona wanted Trier over him. I remember reading back that Briscoe was a heavy Arizona lean back when that was all going down, and that makes sense. Watching both of them play right now and knowing how our teams are generally built and looking at specific needs to balance things out, Trier was clearly the right choice, so i'm sure Miller was thinking along those lines. Could have been a case of who committed first, but I'm guessing Miller went all in on Trier and quick because that was his guy.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Kentucky - no longer recruiting him
Ohio St. - no longer recruiting him
UNLV - no coach to recruit him
Arizona - only kind of/sort of recruiting him

Has a 5-star combo guard ever had less college options?
He has a lot of really really good offers and had multiple blue blood offers.
Puerco wrote:Methinks tOSU is no longer recruiting him because he told them something they didn't want to hear. Recently.

I thought of this last night, too, with more of a heavy emphasis on the Matta angle. He knows his old apprentice is a witch.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Heard Briscoe was going to commit awhile back on a visit before Dorsey committed.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Still not sure a '16 team with JJ would do as well as last year's team with TJ, RHJ, BA, and SJ, but our preseason hype would rival Duke and Uk.
Last year we had Ristic, York, Pitts, and PJC off the bench. Its incredible we made it to the Elite 8 relying on our starting 5

Look at this potential '15/16 team

Kadeem
Kobi
Parker
Alonzo
Josh
Justin
Elliott
Ray
Lauri
Dusan
Chance

:shock:

Preseason title favorite squad right there.

If/When we get JJ & KS, Pitts should transfer since he hasnt played since November
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:
If/When we get JJ & KS, Pitts should transfer since he hasnt played since November
In truth, I was surprised to see him at all on the bench. The semester ended January 12th.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Hell yeah
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:AZ possibly getting back into the mix for Simmons:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... andst.html" target="_blank
They're going off old news that turned out not to be news at all. AZ isn't doing a damn thing with Simmons.
Care to re-assess Choo-Choo?????

Hindsight is a bitch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

They're going off old news that turned out not to be news at all. AZ isn't doing a damn thing with Simmons.

You got me man. Not the first time I've been wrong and won't be the last.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

You're a little late to jump on that train dmj. Try to keep up, will you?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Given the nature of recruiting you could still be right!! Wouldn't shock me in the least if he ends up picking OSU (or somebody else) later on today despite all of the crystal balls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
baycat93 wrote:would be excited to get a talent like that... and probably best for the program.. but would be bummed if it pushed PJC to transfer. Of course if he was tearing it up this year this recruitment would not happen.

Maybe a RS year for PJC, Kobi OAD, Troy Brown '17, PJC RsSr in '18.

One can dream.
I like PJC, but regardless of Simmons, I think he has to worry about Simon passing him up too. PJC is a good, solid player, but the constant here is that Miller brings in talent and it is a competitive environment. I'm not sure PJC will ever wind up starting here. If he's ok with that, hey, he seems like a good kid and I'd love him to finish in an AZ uniform. That said, I wouldn't penalize him if he wanted to seek out a place where he would have an easier road to PT.

It's never an easy road to playing here. Who was the last recruit we snagged who wasn't a top 100 guy?
I like PJC too, but he is really short and a defensive liability, and that won't change with a RS year. Every team goes right at him when he is out there.

His A/TO ratio seems pretty good, 3.1/1.4 but seems to have a couple of bad/lazy passes every now and then. His shooting is actually pretty poor .355 FG and .250 3PT.

Just a serviceable Daniel Dillon type backup. So I agree, if he wants to transfer out I have no hard feelings but if he is OK with his role it will benefit the Cats.
Yes. He's up against Allen, Simon and maybe Simmons, and they are all much bigger and stronger than he is. I just don't see him winning those battles for PT. I think he's a better shooter than he's shown, but to make up for his size issue, he needs to outdo the competition as a shooter. Being equal or less than the comp just won't really cut it.
He's got to be an Isaiah type player at least trending that way to make it in this league. Right now he's not showing the mental make up nor skill
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Given the nature of recruiting you could still be right!! Wouldn't shock me in the least if he ends up picking OSU (or somebody else) later on today despite all of the crystal balls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't over till the fat lady sings... at 6 p.m. (4 pm mt)

Hoping to hear my favorite tune. 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LM, KS...waiting for JJ.

So optimistically, we're looking at:

KA (still don't think a freshman starts over a senior, especially because KA is getting better and better)
AT (would really, really suck if he bolts, but as others have noted, his injury situation seems to make it more likely he'll return)
JJ
RS
DR

Bench: LM, KS, PJC (a lot of competition for PG minutes next year!), GY (will we ever find out what's up with him?), CC, JS

It looks like a glut of guards, but I see a lot of different lineups CSM could throw out there.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EP you mean? Lol. Probably mop up minutes for both he and PJC if Jackson comes and Trier stays. Both those things happen you may see some transfer requests.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:EP you mean? Lol. Probably mop up minutes for both he and PJC if Jackson comes and Trier stays. Both those things happen you may see some transfer requests.
I meant "EP" -- my bad.

Our guards: KA, AT, PJC, KS, JS, EP...I mean, I really can't see how every player here is on the roster next year. And some people think we're still in the running for Alkins. I don't think so.

Lock up JJ, and we'll call it a day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I dunno what chance the UA has assuming Trier is coming back. Going to be hard to beat Zo out.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would love to land Alkins; just concerned about playing time. He'd have to be willing to wait a year.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

JJ over Alkins
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:JJ over Alkins
That goes without saying. If CSM steps up his efforts to land Alkins, it could be because he knows we're not getting JJ.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
That goes without saying. If CSM steps up his efforts to land Alkins, it could be because he knows we're not getting JJ.
Let's be real.

I want JJ as bad at the next guy and we seem to be in a good position.

But if we finish the class with either he or Alkins, this recruiting class gets an A+ grade from me. I'd be thrilled with either one... and with Alkins, we might get him for more than one season.

Watch this team and realize that THIS season is a 'down' year. Miller really is a witch.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Let's be real.

But if we finish the class with either he or Alkins, this recruiting class gets an A+ grade from me. I'd be thrilled with either one... and with Alkins, we might get him for more than one season.

Watch this team and realize that THIS season is a 'down' year. Miller really is a witch.
I hear you. BUT it's fucking time for Miller to win a natty. And if we get JJ and trier stays we are going to be the favorites. Without JJ we will have a chance but I'm fine with being greedy considering our luck the last 15 years
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Let's be real.

I hear you. BUT it's fucking time for Miller to win a natty. And if we get JJ and trier stays we are going to be the favorites. Without JJ we will have a chance but I'm fine with being greedy considering our luck the last 15 years
Rivals has Rawle Alkins rated as the 9th best player in this class. He is not as rangy or explosive as JJ, but he looks as strong as an ox. Either one would be the marquee headliner in a class with three 5* recruit.

Ray Smith returns healthy, and we are likely the favorites in the eyes of many with the addition of either Alkins or JJ.

I want JJ, but I'll be ecstatic, and won't feel slighted in the least, if we landed Alkins.

In other news... If Kadeem & PJC play the way they have this home stand - Kobi better come in and play his ass off if he wants to see many minutes at the point.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rgdeuce wrote:EP you mean? Lol. Probably mop up minutes for both he and PJC if Jackson comes and Trier stays. Both those things happen you may see some transfer requests.
i really hope PJC doesn't transfer. we all know what is he capable of, and that his best is yet to come. plus, he, kadeem, and dusan will be our team's upperclassmen. maybe he'll take that RS season that many originally thought he was going to take last year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JJ over all.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Sean said you know what, fuck it all in. All chips in next year
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Nuts. Absolutely nuts. Bring em all in then. Hes right where he wants to be with Harry, Josh and Rawle apparently
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Main Event wrote: Sean said you know what, fuck it all in. All chips in next year
So not counting Lauri... But does that factor in the Kobi commitment?

Assuming no early departures or transfers, we have 5 scholie a to give in this class. That means he expects the possibility of either 1 or 2 early departures/ transfers.

Trier is the only possible early entry IMO, and I think that is unlikely. PJC & Pitts are the possible transfers - and if PJC's very recent trend of play continues - I do not see that happening.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Main Event wrote: Sean said you know what, fuck it all in. All chips in next year
He must be planning on trier going pro, smith not recovering and quitting basketball and a transfer then. Since with Simmons commitment we only have like 2 spots open.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Well Kobi has plenty of UA gear already...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
He must be planning on trier going pro, smith not recovering and quitting basketball and a transfer then. Since with Simmons commitment we only have like 2 spots open.
Would you STFU on your 'Smith's career is over bullshit' until even a rumor (from someone other than you) is whispered? I've talked to 2 orthopedic surgeons about his situation... and (based on what has been reported) their opinion is a full recovery is quite possible.

We have 5 scholarships to give with no transfers or early departures. You are not any better at math than you are at diagnosing sports medicine injuries.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
I hate you more than I hate ASU.

^^^True statement and I've never even met you
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Would you STFU on your 'Smith's career is over bullshit until even a rumor (from someone other than you) is whispered?

We have 5 scholarships to give with no transfers or early departures.
Would you stfu with your Smith's career isn't over bullshit until even a rumor (from anyone...anywhere) is whispered?

Goes both ways.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
I hate you more than I hate ASU.

^^^True statement and I've never even met you
Good for you.

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Why don't you just go to the Scout board? Nobody wants you here. I prefer enfuego