Is there a wannabe Greg Hansen in town?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Is there a wannabe Greg Hansen in town?

Post by Irish27 »

Don't know if the new guy at KVOA is trying too hard or just doing his job, but did he go too far with Sean Miller and the Zeus incident?
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/medi ... id=6039413" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Puerco

Re: Is there a wannabe Greg Hansen in town?

Post by Puerco »

The original story was a non-story, but this looks bad for Byrne and Miller, imo. The Vine transgression was not much of a transgression at all, and going beyond refusing to shake hands the first time after is going too far. The athletic department taking any action at all is absurd.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

God this story is boring already. I mean it sure has effected Zeus on a personal level hasn't it? The entire comment section is filled with people upset that Miller makes million of dollars, so at least this article by a small time news outlet reached the audience it was after (the anti-U of A crowd).

Lute didn't have a good relationship with a much better local writer with a louder voice. Miller's rep will be just fine shunning some no name local NBC news guy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Has Kaleb played better since that "incident"? Has the team?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Shuster wrote a good article, and every point he made is valid. Any negative consequence of that relatively minor incident, especially it becoming something larger and/or lingering falls solely on Miller's shoulders.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The event occurred on January 28th and we've won every game since then. If that's the outcome of the incident boy I sure hope it becomes something larger and lingers on the rest of the season. I'll be sure to blame Miller for that success too.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Good thing there haven't been any negative consequences from that non incident. Only positives since then.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:Shuster wrote a good article, and every point he made is valid. Any negative consequence of that relatively minor incident, especially it becoming something larger and/or lingering falls solely on Miller's shoulders.
Miller committed the worst sin in the eyes of the media...being angry at the media. That's all this is, and it should not be partucularly noteworthy that Miller doesn't like this guy. When the first contact between him and Miller is based on his publicizing the Kaleb thing, did anyone actually believe he and Miller would be best buds?

Coaches don't like some reporters. Crazy, I know. UA is far from the least media friendly program.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I got no problem with any of it. Some no-name young kid with privileged access got a video and took what was an uncomfortable/ugly/normal if you've been around it/intense situation and blew it up by posting the video on vine. Then he tweeted the video. Then he narrated it over twitter. Then he correct his narration with another tweet. Then he continued to tweet about it. Then, when the backlash and debate came, he wanted to just gracefully bow out like he wasn't the one who started the debate/fight. He incited a riot for the sole purpose of making a name for himself and advancing his career. And I have no problem with Miller wanting to know who leaked it. If I'm a coach, what is wrong with knowing who I have to be careful around, because they will take a normal/little thing that few will see and make sure it gets out to the masses. And I have no problem with the f--k you that he gave the guy in the next few pressers. Young hot shot wants to come into town and use me to work his way up, well if you dish it you are going to get some right back. And you could clearly see that with Miller's statement about "trying to catch people...get them fired."

I'm sure there are plenty of young up and comers who are around Coach K, Self, Calipari, etc., who could do the exact same thing but don't. Sure it's happened, but those guys are the ones who end up on coaches shit lists. How long did it take for word to get out to the masses on how Coach K really is? And that is a dude that is public enemy number 1 for pretty much anyone outside of Duke fans. Bobby Hurley's behavior against us at ASU, that is not normal for most coaches. Miller's behavior on the sidelines in that incident is normal for the majority of coaches. Both made the headlines, but Miller's was thrusted forward even more. One reason is Miller is the established coach for a much better program, but on the flipside, there are probably a lot of people with baited breath waiting to tear apart one of Duke's golden white boys from one of the most hated teams of all time. The hurley shit died down, this hasn't.

People knew Miller is one of the most intense coaches in the country. If you played sports at even the high school level, you knew he yelled and cussed out players. That is something that anyone with a brain and five free seconds to use some logic would know. So thanks for pointing out the obvious, jackass, so it could spread like wildfire to the small percentage of people who didn't know, but gave the enemies something to run with and make a huge deal about and continue to talk about on and on. You don't have to kiss ass, but you also should respect the big sports program whose success and exposure may be the thing that helps you out down the road, even without, heaven forbid, controversy... The media are snakes. Theres a reason everyone hates them.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm a prior generation compared to many of you, and would never ever mouth off to a coach like Zeus did.

As long as there is no physical contact (ala Bobby Knight, Woody Hayes) then if Miller is OK with it, and Zeus is OK with it, then so am I.

If anything, Zeus should apologize.

They dropped it, so should the press.

Anyone who has watched any amount of UA games knows Miller swears. Nice animated GIF somewhere of Miller going: "Get the the f*** out of there" to some player telling him to get off the court. KO's mouth is legendary. My dad used to attend the open practices and couldn't believe the words coming out of KO's mouth when he was Lute's assistant.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This guy Ari is a giant bag of douche, btw. If Miller had to hate on anyone, glad it's him.

Furthermore, pretty sure Lute--especially late in his tenure, was icy with everyone...including "Colombo".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

pc in NM wrote:Shuster wrote a good article, and every point he made is valid. Any negative consequence of that relatively minor incident, especially it becoming something larger and/or lingering falls solely on Miller's shoulders.
LMAO -- you've just been waiting in the tall weeds to comment again on this.

as one thread in this very website says, "The Pussification of America" -- bunch of fucking Sally's in the world today.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:This guy Ari is a giant bag of douche, btw. If Miller had to hate on anyone, glad it's him.

Furthermore, pretty sure Lute--especially late in his tenure, was icy with everyone...including "Colombo".
i know everyone (maybe not you) remembers Lute as some grandiose holier-than-thou type of person but he could be one of the meanest, condescending, trite, ego crushing men on the planet and was so from the day he stepped on Arizona's campus till the time he retired.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:This guy Ari is a giant bag of douche, btw. If Miller had to hate on anyone, glad it's him.

i know everyone (maybe not you) remembers Lute as some grandiose holier-than-thou type of person but he could be one of the meanest, condescending, trite, ego crushing men on the planet and was so from the day he stepped on Arizona's campus till the time he retired.

Yup. Which is also one of the things that made him a great coach IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At least you're consistent.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pitino, Izzo, Lute, Calhoun...all hard-asses at times, all won an NC, and all are in the HOF. Sean is on a good trajectory.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bobby Knight,NC and HOF too.

His last presser at coach was brutal, not only to Pascoe/Columnbo, but especially to Greg Hansen.

This is not biddy basketball where everyone gets a ribbon, it's a multi-million dollar business just at the UA.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just sayin'

In the first 13 games of the season, Zeus had 11 blocks. In the 6 games since the "incident" against Oregon, he's had 9 blocks.

He had 105 boards in those 13, good for around 8 per game. In the 6 since, he's had 66 boards...about 11 per game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maybe we should bring back Kevin O'Neill if we want a cuddlier coach?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Like I've said, I have absolutely no issue with Zeus getting yelled at, or with Miller giving this Ari guy the cold shoulder once or twice, but the athletic dept. threatening to revoke his press pass is simply foolish and is perpetuating a story that never should have been a story. Let it rest. Forgive and forget. And if the guy pulls something stupid again, then never answer another question as long as he's in Tucson!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:I'm a prior generation compared to many of you, and would never ever mouth off to a coach like Zeus did.

As long as there is no physical contact (ala Bobby Knight, Woody Hayes) then if Miller is OK with it, and Zeus is OK with it, then so am I.

If anything, Zeus should apologize.

They dropped it, so should the press.

Anyone who has watched any amount of UA games knows Miller swears. Nice animated GIF somewhere of Miller going: "Get the the f*** out of there" to some player telling him to get off the court. KO's mouth is legendary. My dad used to attend the open practices and couldn't believe the words coming out of KO's mouth when he was Lute's assistant.
Kevin Parrom. And Parrom sat his ass straight down. Later went back out and busted his ass. That is one of my all-time favorite Miller moments.

And I am a millennial (albeit at the very top end age wise) and I knew never to do what Zeus did to Miller to any of my coaches. Had a few "relax" comments but immediately knew when to tuck my tail between my legs and take whatever came next and when to bring out the "yes, sirs" and all that. Same with my parents, and I was far from the easiest player/teenager to begin with. I don't blame Zeus, he's a competitor and it was in the heat of the moment. It took him a while but he took what was dished out and moved on. And he will be the first one to tell u he is a better person and player because of that. But in these times, almost anyone of significant authority, wealth and power is automatically the bad guy because of the bad actions of a small few. You see it happen to coaches, cops, teachers, parents, whomever. Without going into autobiography mode, I'm grateful every day that I wasn't coddled, treated like a "poor baby" or handed things growing up.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:, but the athletic dept. threatening to revoke his press pass is simply foolish and is perpetuating a story that never should have been a story.
That leads me to believe there is more to this than just him simply posting a video on social media.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i thought schuster was on point in his article. don't get me wrong, i love me some CSM and Arizona Basketball as much as the next guy, but it's silly for us to jump all over the media for this. the tango between media and messaging is a good thing and could very well have led to a productive, critical discussion beyond that stupid incident if it wasn't mishandled the way it was. jeremy sharpe and his staff could easily have put this thing to rest, but didn't. someone send him @puerco's last post and a PR101 textbook.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Mountains out of molehills. I mean really, Miller didn't answer questions or shake hands with some douchebag and it's an issue?

Was I comfortable with what I saw in the Oregon game? No, not really.

Does it matter?

No, not really.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alright, whats Schuster's home address?
Zero

Post by Zero »

Exactly what we need heading into March. Bravo Schu.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Ahh, he wrote that the 18th. I guess it is pretty much over. The comment section over there seems to be anti Miller.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Bobby Knight,NC and HOF too.

His last presser at coach was brutal, not only to Pascoe/Columnbo, but especially to Greg Hansen.

This is not biddy basketball where everyone gets a ribbon, it's a multi-million dollar business just at the UA.
Agree completely.. except for the point about Lute's last presser. That was embarrassing, and sad in retrospect given what we later learned. But those those of us who commented so at the time were chided by many who thought Lute brought his A game to the presser and were cheering from their home.

Lute was never easy to listen to, but it was clear that something was not right. He never liked the media, and it never bothered me. I think Miller is a MASTER in most interviews, honest, candid, insightful, and articulate - without saying too much.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've already made that Damien Alameda dude take a seat. Gonna slowly eat away at this clown; hopefully he isn't thin-skinned and block happy on twitter. Greg Hansen does a good job of ignoring trolls. :(