3.3 Mark Tollefsen
2.4 Gabe York
0.0 Justin Simon
-3.3 Parker Jackson-Cartwright
-4.0 Dusan Ristic

58 Arizona TEAM
68 Utah TEAM

24.2 Brandon Taylor (KenPom MVP)

BIRD Score = 40*[(Points +Rebounds + Assists + Blocks + Steals - Missed Shots - Turnovers - Personal Fouls)/(Minutes Played)]
97cats

Re: 40 Minute Bird Scores - @ Utah

Post by 97cats »

a lot to pick apart IMO, but like I said and thought coming into the season, the PG position is the biggest weakness of this team, and is at the center of the overall limitations and what makes Arizona vulnerable.

another game where Parker Jackson-Cartwright looked like he had no business being on the floor, let alone starting and playing PG, for a program like Arizona.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Three key pieces under 2.5, two of whom were in the negative. Yikes. i think we can close the book on the whole PJC cant play on the road thing. I dont think anyone can make an argument against it. Ristic, to a lesser degree, or at least has a few outlier games, is a guy who also seems to get swallowed up by the better players/bigger games.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Another game, another example of having absolutely no feel for what is working lineup-wise by CSM. Hopefully a learning experience:

- Down at the half, Anderson is benched for Comanche (and I guarantee you it was because of something RA did on defense, because when is anyone ever benched for a reason other than defense or rebounding?). MASSIVE run ensues team is absolutely on FIRE at both ends!! Trier Zues Allen and yes even COMANCHE ALL FEELING IT! YESSS!!! we are back in business, BTFD!!

- None of that matter though because on the predetermined game script it says "Sub team out after each 4 min segment". So of course we gut that line up for
shattered confidence Anderson
Ristic
an apparently ill/dying PJC

Momentum gone, game is neck and neck all the way till the end when we can't score a point over the final 3 mins .

WTF

this is why this team can't win the big games and never will, we find something that works then immediately go away from it. We will be lucky to make the S16 what are we now 2-7 agains top 50 and best win Ore St and USC?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't PJC come in when Anderson did, when Comanche went out?

I think the Utah run had more to do with PJC coming in.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

RiseAndFire wrote:Another game, another example of having absolutely no feel for what is working lineup-wise by CSM. Hopefully a learning experience:

- Down at the half, Anderson is benched for Comanche (and I guarantee you it was because of something RA did on defense, because when is anyone ever benched for a reason other than defense or rebounding?). MASSIVE run ensues team is absolutely on FIRE at both ends!! Trier Zues Allen and yes even COMANCHE ALL FEELING IT! YESSS!!! we are back in business, BTFD!!

- None of that matter though because on the predetermined game script it says "Sub team out after each 4 min segment". So of course we gut that line up for
shattered confidence Anderson
Ristic
an apparently ill/dying PJC

Momentum gone, game is neck and neck all the way till the end when we can't score a point over the final 3 mins .

WTF

this is why this team can't win the big games and never will, we find something that works then immediately go away from it. We will be lucky to make the S16 what are we now 2-7 agains top 50 and best win Ore St and USC?
Maybe they should hire you as head coach, you have it figured out :roll:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Eventually a broken clock is (partially) right twice a day. Yeah, Merkin, PJC and Anderson came in at the same time right after we got the first lead in the second. Ristic may have too, or it was the very next dead ball. So yea, we got that lead, they come in, PJC gets swallowed by a screen he should have gotten around, 3 ball. Next possession, Ryan gets blown by with a dribble drive, causing the defense to collapse and give up an uncontested bucket. 5-0 run immediately. Thereafter, Dusan turns the ball over and If it wasnt that play, it was the one after where he looked like a stiff on D and missed an easy defensive rebound and they got a second chance bucket.

So Rise, heres the thing, its easy to Monday morning quarterback any loss. And I partially agree with u, in that Dusan, Parker and Anderson were all inserted at the same time. When I saw who was coming in i turned to my wife and told her, there goes the lead. I was thinking if it aint broke, dont fix it, and I wanted to ride that lineup until the good stopped happening. The flip side to that though is, Andersons your guy. Hes ur MVP, hes the reason why we are where we are. Its easy for us to say leave him on the bench as fans, very different for a coach to do that to a guy who has carried the team all year outside of a couple games. Clearly Andersons benching was a message, and as a coach u expect that message to get through to Ryan and he comes out and has a monster half cuz hes pissed. It just didnt happen tonight. And I wanted Chance back out there later, but again, as a coach u dance with who you brought, and that guy is Anderson. A one game vs big picture is something coaches have to deal with, not fans.

You also need fresh legs and you are underestimating the legs it took to go on that 2nd half run, to make up that much ground that quick. We saw what happened when Gabe ran point today, didnt we? So what alternative do we have there?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

We need to dispel with this fiction that these 18 year olds can't handle more than 4 minutes of PT in a row. These are not NBA vets playing 3 games a week. We play 2 games a week and in the case of Colorado there was an entire 7 days to prepare for that debacle.

I understand some measure of loyalty to Anderson but be real here he is a hired gun only here to audition for the NBA for one year. But doesn't anyone on the staff stop and think hey this is a stupid freaking idea, let the guys that are killing the other team stay in the game??

That is what we see over and over and why Miller teams always seem to struggle to score over prolonged stretches, even with teams stacked with NBA-quality players AG TJM and RHJ.

oh well, it is what it is, do what we do.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You've had 90 posts, Rise. How many of them have come after an Arizona win?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy