lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
If I was Miller I would be recruiting Alonzo as hard as the other 5 stars coming in. AT is a guy that needs one more year, but is good enough now in college to be the guy that puts you and your team over the top when competing for the biggest prize on the biggest stage in college.
This. AT is going to be a star next season, even more so than he already is.

KA
AT
RS
LM
DR

Bench: RA, KS, JS, CC, PJC

I left out JJ not because I don't think we're getting him but just to show how stacked we are regardless of his decision.

I do wonder, though, about our glut of guards. RA and KS are probably good enough to get 15 minutes per game next year. Where does that leave JS and PJC?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beach,

No Elliot Pitts?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Beach,

No Elliot Pitts?
I don't think I'm the only one who assumes he's played his last game at AZ.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Where does that leave JS and PJC?
I'm curious....what have we seen from JS that makes us think he will have a role next year? I've seen nothing. He is still the rawest of projects, will very likely be a little less raw, but nonetheless still a project as a sophomore, and if he stays be an absolute beast as a junior and senior.

I pray he stays because I think he's going to get there, but if JS has any substantive role on next year's team something has gone very, VERY wrong.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:As I gaze into my Nostradamus crystal ball I think Alonzo Trier is the wildcard at this stage.

I’m sure I may be in the minority on my observations of Alonzo but in truth at this stage of his development I think he is destined for a sophomore year at Arizona.

When I look at him, I see a very good college player that utilizes his strengths at this level the way he should. But let’s not kid ourselves, AT is not taking anyone’s spot in the NBA from a final roster perspective as it stands today.

He will most certainly continue to develop and he will play in the NBA in a couple of years, but he would be advised to return for another year. If his handlers really care about his future earnings and his staying power he would be best advised to return.

At this stage he’s simply a tweener that does a few things really well at the college level but does not command IMO an elevated status of future returns at the NBA level based on his current development.
His value and a second year of development on a loaded Wildcat team where he will still start and command a leadership role is immeasurable and could well give Miller that one player that is the ultimate glue guy that is respected and needed on a young team in a high octane growth phase.

AT has got lots to work on. Most importantly his outside shot and handles, although they are not bad by any measure

IMO leaving this year is a front row ticket to the D-League. AT staying one more year will allow for greater development and a possible National Championship run and real NBA staying power for the long-term.

If I was Miller I would be recruiting Alonzo as hard as the other 5 stars coming in. AT is a guy that needs one more year, but is good enough now in college to be the guy that puts you and your team over the top when competing for the biggest prize on the biggest stage in college.
This is exactly how I see him, too.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dcZONAfan wrote:
I'm curious....what have we seen from JS that makes us think he will have a role next year? I've seen nothing. He is still the rawest of projects, will very likely be a little less raw, but nonetheless still a project as a sophomore, and if he stays be an absolute beast as a junior and senior.

I pray he stays because I think he's going to get there, but if JS has any substantive role on next year's team something has gone very, VERY wrong.
In my view Miller has 3 remaining recruiting assignments for the class of 2016:
1. Land JJ
2. Convince Trier to return
3. Convince Justin Simon to stay and redshirt

And for the long term prospects of the program, I think #3 is the most critical - because AT and JJ will not be here beyond next season, I see something in Simon that leads me to believe he has star potential; let him put on some muscle and sharpen his skills next year without the pressure of competing for PT and I think he could be in the NBA by 2018.

I tire of the comparisons to Geary (who I loved) because I think Simon, while similarly athletic, has significantly more upside. Geary was a bundle of energy who evolved into a good player during his time here, but he was always a bit out of control and never as smooth as JS is right now.I think the Justin could end up be a really good and complete player; his jumper needs work, but it looks better to me now than Geary's did in his final season here. Reggie was a great defender and Simon has similar potential on that side with considerably more potential on the offensive end.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:First of all, that's the coaches job. The figuring out is quite simple actually: the best players, play.
So what exactly is the fans' job?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:

That freshman to sophomore jump. Hopefully 300-500 jumpshots a day from April til September, plenty of ball handling and passing drills, and continuing to improve as a defender. Just the experience itself and continuing to learn under Miller will make a guy better as well. He has shown us flashes this year. Some nice drives and made the tough finish look easy (that reverse vs Stanford). When he has his head in it, he has shown he can lock his man down. Again in the Stanford game, cant remember who he was guarding, was on the left wing, dude tried a few things over the course of a few seconds, nothing. Every subsequent trip back down, every time the same guy got the ball he immediately gave it back to someone else. He knew. That's assuming all those things happen, but it's easy to see both the long term potential, and where he can project along that line in 7-8 months if he works hard. I think that short term projection makes him a piece that will bring something to help us win games, plus you got to give the guy minutes and if he stays they will come in the nonconference slate anyway.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's just say JJ commits to AZ. Does that give us the #3 class for '16? It doesn't look like anyone's catching Duke or UK.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Let's just say JJ commits to AZ. Does that give us the #3 class for '16? It doesn't look like anyone's catching Duke or UK.
Yes on all counts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm fine with being after Duke and UK. If recent history has shown anything, it's that being at or near the top with recruiting classes tends to produce FF appearances and NCs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'm fine with being after Duke and UK. If recent history has shown anything, it's that being at or near the top with recruiting classes tends to produce FF appearances and NCs.
The prominent reason we'd be behind Duke/UK is because Lauri isn't ranked in any one's top 100 due to being an international guy. So the whole ranking classes deal is subjective.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I'm fine with being after Duke and UK. If recent history has shown anything, it's that being at or near the top with recruiting classes tends to produce FF appearances and NCs.
The prominent reason we'd be behind Duke/UK is because Lauri isn't ranked in any one's top 100 due to being an international guy. So the whole ranking classes deal is subjective.

5 star at Scout
http://www.scout.com/player/197397-lauri-markkanen" target="_blank

4 star at Rivals
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/185555" target="_blank

but not ranked.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Honestly, I couldn't care less if UK and Duke have classes ranked ahead of ours. Anyone with a top 3-ish class is about to get a massive influx of talent. The hard part is knowing which of these 5-star guys is going to be Aaron Gordon from day one, or whether they'll even make an impact before leaving for the pros (Lavine).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

5 star at Scout

4 star at Rivals

but not ranked.
Yep, and all these companies use their rankings to dictate class rankings, so there ya go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
That's nice work by Jason.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Josh Jackson is the name that matters. We were never getting all 3.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Jason is making a comment about how that guy Schultz is pretty much never right. He said Stanley was definitely coming back, amongst other doomed predictions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Jason is making a comment about how that guy Schultz is pretty much never right. He said Stanley was definitely coming back, amongst other doomed predictions.
He does seem off. Who honestly thinks we go into next year with KA/KS/PJC/AT/RA/TF/JS/JJ/RS on the perimeter?

Allonzo's future isn't set in stone, but even with that, I don't know how JJ/TF is not a mutually exclusive proposition. If Zo leaves and we didn't get JJ or TF, we are left with "only" 6 guys for 3 positions and 3 5 star players in that group. Only.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
We were also never getting Kobi or Rawle....Never's aren't what they used to be in today's recruiting world. I will take a wait and see approach, but I do not think JJ and TFerg is 100% out of the realm of possibility.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Beachcat97 wrote:The hard part is knowing which of these 5-star guys is going to be Aaron Gordon from day one, or whether they'll even make an impact before leaving for the pros (Lavine).
Not sure we ever get another Gordon. Such a unique player in regards to his effort level and impact on defense and the glass. In a full freshman season, I never once saw him take a play off. We'll definitely land talent, but not like that for a long, long time.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

5 star at Scout

4 star at Rivals

but not ranked.
Yep, and all these companies use their rankings to dictate class rankings, so there ya go.
Ranked #24 in the 247 composite.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Who's Omer Yurtseven? Just climbed 29 spots to #17 in the 247 composite. 6'11" Turkish kid who has us on his list along with Kentucky and a bunch of lesser schools.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Turkish-star- ... d-43803227

Should be 'Yurtsevun'.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

dcZONAfan wrote: I mean obviously it's more likely RA goes to one of the schools that has recruited him the longest. BUT what if he's a kid that aspires to win a national championship? We can't claim to know enough about what the kid wants to understand what motivates him in choosing a college.

What if he thinks that the #1 skill he needs to learn to make it in the NBA is tough man to man defense? What if it's both those factors? Do you think he still wants to go play for St. John's or NC State? Also, if you're judging your "he is reportedly favoring" on something like the crystal balls at 247, CSM has shown he doesn't give a flying fuck what those say or else Kobi would be playing somewhere else next year, not the U of A.

No need to completely dismiss the idea that RA comes here. Sure, it's best to not get your hopes up, but when CSM is involved and the kid hasn't committed somewhere we have a chance and considering it would be the ultimate cherry on top I'd say that's a pretty great spot to be in
From page 30, fun to read some of ChooChoo and BC97's posts haha. Remember when the RA rumors started? We were all so hesitant to believe that we could get him and JJ. Now we are in a spot we could POTENTIALLY get JJ and TF/OY.

Never fucking doubt CSM is the lesson we are all learning here. Although I will say that most of us never really have.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:Let's just say JJ commits to AZ. Does that give us the #3 class for '16? It doesn't look like anyone's catching Duke or UK.
Easily. And we could catch Duke. Hell, right now I'd take 1, 18, 21, 24 (best player in country/four top 25) over Duke's 2, 3, 14, and 42. Landing Ferguson too would easily put us over Duke, couldn't even be argued. I think it's hilarious that UCLA (7, 16, 63, 170), UCONN (34, 35, 71, 133) and Mississippi State (37, 46, 95, 96, 114, 119, and 309) are ranked us ahead of us right this very moment. :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Easily. And we could catch Duke. Hell, right now I'd take 1, 18, 21, 24 (best player in country/four top 25) over Duke's 2, 3, 14, and 42. Landing Ferguson too would easily put us over Duke, couldn't even be argued. I think it's hilarious that UCLA (7, 16, 63, 170), UCONN (34, 35, 71, 133) and Mississippi State (37, 46, 95, 96, 114, 119, and 309) are ranked us ahead of us right this very moment. :lol:
I'm not worried about UCLA, UConn, or MSU because those schools are done with their '16 classes. We are not. If either JJ or TF commits to AZ, we quickly move up to #3, and as you've explained, it's pretty subjective who deserves to be ranked highest among Duke, UK, and AZ.

It's shaping up to be a pretty epic March, isn't it? We're sort of under the radar with our tourney chances this year, which I love, and is a stark contrast to the past two seasons when we've been favored to reach the FF. And CSM is on the brink of landing the best recruiting class of his career. Really, really good time to be an AZ fan.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote: I mean obviously it's more likely RA goes to one of the schools that has recruited him the longest. BUT what if he's a kid that aspires to win a national championship? We can't claim to know enough about what the kid wants to understand what motivates him in choosing a college.

What if he thinks that the #1 skill he needs to learn to make it in the NBA is tough man to man defense? What if it's both those factors? Do you think he still wants to go play for St. John's or NC State? Also, if you're judging your "he is reportedly favoring" on something like the crystal balls at 247, CSM has shown he doesn't give a flying fuck what those say or else Kobi would be playing somewhere else next year, not the U of A.

No need to completely dismiss the idea that RA comes here. Sure, it's best to not get your hopes up, but when CSM is involved and the kid hasn't committed somewhere we have a chance and considering it would be the ultimate cherry on top I'd say that's a pretty great spot to be in
From page 30, fun to read some of ChooChoo and BC97's posts haha. Remember when the RA rumors started? We were all so hesitant to believe that we could get him and JJ. Now we are in a spot we could POTENTIALLY get JJ and TF/OY.

Never fucking doubt CSM is the lesson we are all learning here. Although I will say that most of us never really have.
I never doubted SM, but what he's about to do in possibly landing Alkins, Jackson, and Ferguson has only been accomplished by one other coach ever.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

I never doubted SM, but what he's about to do in possibly landing Alkins, Jackson, and Ferguson has only been accomplished by one other coach ever.
Haha I know, man. It's just funny to see people talk in absolutes in these situations. No harm done, obviously
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Good damn we wish we some of the 16 class, Kobi, JJ, LM, Rawle, Terrence and we don't lose this game throw in Ray smith. I am excited for the tourney next week but god damn am I excited about the red and blue game already!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rumors of AT's departure, which make a lot of sense, are making me think we could get TF as well. So we could be looking at...

KA/KS
TF/RA
JJ
LM/RS
DR/CC

I still hope AT surprises people and comes back; he's a terrific player and could be part of something special next year. But if he can be drafted in the 1st round this year, he should go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: I never doubted SM, but what he's about to do in possibly landing Alkins, Jackson, and Ferguson has only been accomplished by one other coach ever.
Calipari or Wooden?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Getting back to this team, if AT is actually leaving after the tournament, he joins Zeus, Anderson, Tolly and York. Lots of guys trying to impress future employers. Help with the concentration issues or stress them out so they play worse? Here's hoping it kicks in their concentration and they play better than they have all year.

Low expectations with this team. Haven't had such low expectations since .... wait for it ... 1997! :o

Go Cats!! Shock the world!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catstatic wrote:Getting back to this team, if AT is actually leaving after the tournament, he joins Zeus, Anderson, Tolly and York. Lots of guys trying to impress future employers. Help with the concentration issues or stress them out so they play worse? Here's hoping it kicks in their concentration and they play better than they have all year.

Low expectations with this team. Haven't had such low expectations since .... wait for it ... 1997! :o

Yeah, my expectations are on the low side. If we're still alive next week, I'll be pretty surprised.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Catstatic wrote:Getting back to this team, if AT is actually leaving after the tournament, he joins Zeus, Anderson, Tolly and York. Lots of guys trying to impress future employers. Help with the concentration issues or stress them out so they play worse? Here's hoping it kicks in their concentration and they play better than they have all year.

Yeah, my expectations are on the low side. If we're still alive next week, I'll be pretty surprised.
You are not the only one BC97......
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can't get here soon enough
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Need more players who hate to lose.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We are climbing fast on the crystal ball for Terrance Ferguson, eerily similar to Kobi Simmons & Rawle Alkins. 7 new predictions for Arizona, guessing it'll keep climbing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Isn't TF a shooting guard? I'm starting to think that AT is definitely not returning. So we're looking at:

KS/KA
RA/TF
RS
LM
DR

It's gonna really, really suck to lose our top target two years in a row (Rabb, JJ), but this is still a pretty loaded roster.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Isn't TF a shooting guard?
Is there really any different between SG and SF in todays game outside of maybe height and by height maybe an inch or two? Ferguson is 6'6-6'7, he can play either wing spot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Is there really any different between SG and SF in todays game outside of maybe height and by height maybe an inch or two? Ferguson is 6'6-6'7, he can play either wing spot.
That's true, and good news.

So we'll have a lot of interchangeable players at the 2/3 spots.

I'm still a little concerned about our frontcourt. Who's going to get boards and defend the other team's best big?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I think we seal the deal with Ferguson on his visit tomorrow.

I think we get Alkins, Simmons, Ferguson -- Trier back because a weak draft grade, and Smith finally playing as well.

We have a really good class regardless considering losing Leaf & Thornton. Ferguson can play the 3 if we lose out on Jackson.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Will be glued to the interwebs tomorrow. Hopefully the witch can lock him up tomorrow
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The only thing with Ferguson is that he's skinny. Athletically, he can jump enough to hang with 6'10 guys. If he were paired with Alkins, you have one bruiser and one high flyer.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:Isn't TF a shooting guard? I'm starting to think that AT is definitely not returning. So we're looking at:

KS/KA
RA/TF
RS
LM
DR

It's gonna really, really suck to lose our top target two years in a row (Rabb, JJ), but this is still a pretty loaded roster.
There is not a single thing that would suck about a class of LM, KS, RA, & TF. Not a single f***ing thing. I am honestly tired of how fixated som many people are on JJ and discounting the 4 complete studs that this group would represent.

And JJ is not getting scared off by anyone, period.

Bottom line... If we land TF, it may be a question not of TF or JJ... But a question of JJ or Trier. With a group like that coming in, and a loaded draft next season, my guess is AT sees that he's not going to be showcased next year in a way that improves his draft status - and he is gone.

If that happens - I wish him luck, but so be it.