The game was over when...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BigSkyCatinMT

The game was over when...

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

WSU gets the tip, fails to score and after going up 2-0...

York and Trier lollygag up the court while Kadeem is hounded into a turnover. Thanks for the help!

Not a prepared team for what was coming.

How can you not know that that was coming?
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
elriop20

Re: Teh game was over when...

Post by elriop20 »

It's not like they did that against Vanderbilt... Oh wait
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was wondering the same thing Mtz, was the UA not prepared for the press? Or more likely, were the UA players not as concerned as CSM? Maybe they thought they had the game already won since Miller doesn't lose to much lower seeds.

But in the end, the Cats proved that you need a real PG to win in the tourney. Hopefully Kodi Simmons can come in as a true frosh.

When former players call out other players, you start to think it's not coaching.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What threw them off was the type of press. Kadeem was lulled to sleep because he was allowed to bring the ball up most of the back court without any pressure. Gabe and Zo were lulled to sleep because they didnt see full court pressure or even a 3/4 press, so they were headed to their wings assuming their offense would be initiated. I wasnt watching them though, so Im not sure if they completely were out of it or if they were prepared for a traditional half court trap. Then Wichita State jumped out BEFORE Kadeem got to the timeline and he panicked. We havent seen that all year and im not sure I saw then do that in the Vanderbuilt game, but that game didnt have my full attention in its entirety.

In the traditional half court press, you want the ball handler to cross the timeline and just before the timeline the defender on the point guard "guides" the point guard to dribble away from the middle of the floor toward a sideline, then the second defender attacks. By doing this, you have two men on the ball, a sideline to prevent him from going around, and the half court line to prevent them from getting out of it by dribbling back. Ive seen a second defender come across before the ball crosses the timeline, but in the sense of helping "guide" the ballhandler to a specific spot, not just bumrushing him and forcing the turnover. Im sure spliff, clip or jmark can chime in, they played/watch more basketball than me, I just dont recall ever seeing it like that. I mean Kadeem literally shit himself on that and based on his reaction and the immediate timeout, i think that was something Miller was not expecting
billk78

Re: The game was over when...

Post by billk78 »

The game (and tournament) was over from the start. Not having a point guard on the roster was bound to do us in.