lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: lets talk '16

Post by rgdeuce »

Meeting tonight in Louisville after the game and Kansas' post game press conferences? Night owls. All of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
No word if it's to decide on college or a new pumpkin pie recipe.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I love pumpkin pie.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

March 30th -- ESPN
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Plenty of time for Midnight Sean to close the deal.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

God, Sparty fan are assholes, or at least those guys are. Yeah, every player you didn't get that was elite was for "other reasons." Sure Basnight isn't an MSU fan?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If Ferguson doesn't commit over the weekend, we probably get both announcements of Jackson & Ferguson during the McD's AA game Wednesday.

Regardless if we lose out on JJ, we still come out with the #3 recruiting class, only beaten by Duke + UK which are absolutely loaded.
If Arizona were to land him, the Wildcats would jump to No. 3 in the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings according to the Class Calculator. Arizona would also jump UCLA to No. 1 in the Pac-12 rankings.

The Arizona recruiting class is currently ranked No. 7 nationally.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ferguson-woul ... s-44453033" target="_blank
we would have: ranking in composite

Terrance Ferguson: #15 ★★★★★ -- McD's AA

Rawle Alkins: #18 ★★★★★

Kobi Simmons: #21★★★★★ -- McD's AA

Lauri Markkanen: #23 ★★★★★

--

Right now Arizona has 54% on the crystal ball with Ferguson, days ago it was in the 20s/30s. Crystal ball for Jackson is 55% for Kansas, days ago they were in the mid 30s.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If CSM lands JJ and TF, I'm ready to add his face to the AZ hoops Mt. Rushmore, along with Lute, Kerr, and Elliott.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I wonder if some of the JJ/TF crystal ball trends are based in the preumption that we will get one, not both, and we are trending up on TF.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I wonder if some of the JJ/TF crystal ball trends are based in the preumption that we will get one, not both, and we are trending up on TF.
There's no way to know but that's reasonable. Some recruiting analysts have come right out and said that, so who knows what thoughts go into predictions when you have no solid basis for projecting. Programs don't often lock down all the elite, versatile wings and spread them throughout the roster, and Miller's Arizona has never done anything of the sort.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I wonder if some of the JJ/TF crystal ball trends are based in the preumption that we will get one, not both, and we are trending up on TF.
Definitely. The same way that these talking heads started changing their votes when it became apparent we were getting Rawle. "Well, they're both elite wings, so there's no way UA is getting both..."

Plus there's the fact that JJ is in Lawrence right now for The Grind Session tourney, and the natural inclination is to think, "well, he's in Kansas, and Ferguson is in Arizona, so Ferguson to UA and JJ to Kansas," never mind the fact that the entire Kansas staff is in Louisville right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Maybe the best way to see this is, "Arizona is right where it wants to be with the 2016-17 season."

Our current class is very, very good, and it could get even better next week. Regardless of JJ and TF's decisions (and AT's), I'm thinking we'll be starting the season ranked in the top 20. Much higher, obviously, if the news is good next week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Definitely. The same way that these talking heads started changing their votes when it became apparent we were getting Rawle. "Well, they're both elite wings, so there's no way UA is getting both..."

Plus there's the fact that JJ is in Lawrence right now for The Grind Session tourney, and the natural inclination is to think, "well, he's in Kansas, and Ferguson is in Arizona, so Ferguson to UA and JJ to Kansas," never mind the fact that the entire Kansas staff is in Louisville right now.
The Rawle situation is exactly why I posted. True or not, the biggest crystal ball downturns we've seen with Arizona and JJ both are centered on us getting to a good place with another recruit. I never understood the Rawle downturn, but I do understand the idea that TF and JJ might be mutually exclusive.

It's all a gamble anyways.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

The Rawle situation is exactly why I posted. True or not, the biggest crystal ball downturns we've seen with Arizona and JJ both are centered on us getting to a good place with another recruit. I never understood the Rawle downturn, but I do understand the idea that TF and JJ might be mutually exclusive.

What's a gamble?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

What's a gamble?
The decisionmaking process of 17 and 18 year old recruits. That's why I don't get super wrapped into crystal ball stuff. At the end of the day, it's a 17 year old kid with a lot of pressure around him making that decision, and trying to predict the outcome of that is a crapshoot at best.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

What's a gamble?
The decisionmaking process of 17 and 18 year old recruits. That's why I don't get super wrapped into crystal ball stuff. At the end of the day, it's a 17 year old kid with a lot of pressure around him making that decision, and trying to predict the outcome of that is a crapshoot at best.
But it isn't always. At the elite level, recruits don't have full say. Lots of factors and people involved. That's why that rumor yesterday that Jackson wants MSU but has to go to Kansas seemed to make sense, even if it may not be true at all.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I think we get JJ honestly, I trust Miller.
According to a MSU beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, Sparty is on the outside looking in.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd guess every one of those tweets is without any substance whatsoever.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

LH, in my opinion, the number of people who can play into a decision only enhances the variability. A player may have feelings, but then there's mom, "uncle," other handlers, girlfriend, other various hangers on and the rest. It doesn't just rest on a 17 year old, which is already a pretty flighty class of person, but also requires that kid to balance a lot of other people who want to influence him.

I posted Miss Cleo, but I probably should have posted Dave Chappelle's Educated Guess hotline. You never know who truly prevails. Sometimes the writing may be on the wall, but more often it isn't. Figuring out who influences a kid and recruiting them just as hard is a part of winnig these battles. Who holds the most influence...well, that's a whole different thing.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If what Longhorned and Chicat are saying about Jackson's eligibility with the NCAA is true, none of this speculation matters even if, or when, JJ commits to Arizona.

That's why I don't understand what so many people are hanging on. Sure, it's fun to speculate, but you can't count this guy in any school until he enrolls for classes.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The problem is, the source of all this information is still people with connections, like the dude that tweeted Sean Miller was in Pittsburgh (he wasn't, guy believed his sources, they were wrong), and have nada to do with the decision. Even the China stuff...that is coming from Scout Premium. OK...who is Scout Premium? People who are often right, sometimes wrong, and are under massive pressure to provide information whether there is information or not. People pay, people want something. And Twitter...everyone on twitter must be wrong, then? Maybe not. Maybe things change. Or maybe JJ purposely wants heat off his decision. Or maybe there is a real struggle between KU and his handlers and his heart, yet maybe that heart isn't MSU. And in the end, either he will cave to his handlers, or he will do like some others have done and say "screw my shoe company/uncle" and go where he wants. Seems to me if it were as simple as the people who pressure him winning, this would have been done LONG ago so people could get paid. There is obviously a holdup in the works, and during this same wait the same experts have said he was going to Arizona, then Michigan State, then Kansas. Were they wrong 2 times out of 3, or do they jump at any new info favoring a team? The latter holds much more weight. As for China, even those rumors, which persist beyond the Scout Premium world, are maybes, so overreacting to them and saying "then forget him...he is out" ignores the "maybe" part of that report.

So we take these people close to the situation's word, except when we don't. I only have one personal story from on this board. 2 years ago, I happened to be on the same flight as Nick Johnson's mom. We were headed to Dallas, where I was going to the Final Four (I already booked my trip in January out of belief we'd make it). I was talking with another Cats fan and Nick's mom came up when she saw UA stuff and started talking. I recognized her. She told us she was going to Dallas because Nick was there for an award or something, and that he had decided to declare for the draft, and she wanted to be there to support and work on a timeline to disclose that, etc. Just "premium" info coming out of a totally random conversation. Figuring mom knew what was up, and was saying "Nick decided and called me and I am going to support", not "WE have decided to declare", I felt it was pretty solid info. I posted it here but did not say "Nicks Mom", only someone in the family/etc told me the decision has been made. I was called a "child" by one poster, and basically told I was an idiot by others, no decision had been made, etc. OK. I am not going to push it. I just reiterated. It was good information...about as good as you can get. Yet there was still a chance he would change his mind after that. My information was solid, but it was based upon a decision not yet made by someone else. Kind of like that tweet last year that said Stanley is coming back. That dude sucks, and gets everything wrong, but I bet someone he thought of as a "source" told him that. And we know Stanley considered it. And maybe went back and forth.

Which is why it is best to just wait until the deed is done and not ping pong from elated to depressed to demanding to know why Sean Miller sucks to calling him a witch and so on when we don't know what is going on in his head. Sounds like it comes down to whether he is strong enough to tell family they can wait until he gets to the NBA for handouts. Allegedly. Maybe a bad snowstorm changes his mind. Let it happen
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Chicat wrote:

He didn't make the trip to Lawrence. He is back home. Premium stuff (I didn't read it as I don't pay for it, but it was stated in a thread on phog) from another KU site says the decision is coming tonight. Not McD's game and not the same "tonight" as yesterday's "tonight." lol
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:

He didn't make the trip to Lawrence. He is back home. Premium stuff (I didn't read it as I don't pay for it, but it was stated in a thread on phog) from another KU site says the decision is coming tonight. Not McD's game and not the same "tonight" as yesterday's "tonight." lol
If they keep predicting "tonight", they're bound to be right at some point.

Unless he throws us a curve and announces during the day...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

That series of tweets doesn't really jive with what we heard considering it was Josh wanting MSU, Apples wanting KU, and the others (who apparently have no say in the decision making process) wanting Arizona. Glad this is going to be ending next week it seems. Then we can start to root for or against China.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:

If they keep predicting "tonight", they're bound to be right at some point.

Unless he throws us a curve and announces during the day...
LMAO! This is embarrassing. I am glad Arizona Scout guys aren't feeding into this bullshit :lol: :lol: :lol:
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

On a non JJ or TF note, what is up with the new 5* turkish dude? Seems like a type Miller would go hard at
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So no commitment???
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

They're waiting for the McD's game. Makes sense.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:

Exactly on point! The "you can't get both thinking" seems to directly correlate with both predictions for JJ and TF. One started going up as the other went down.

We'll know how things shake out after the dust clears. 8-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Maybe tonight? :lol:
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Tonight, tonight, it won't be just any night...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

lol we just lost both guys, thanks Jordan.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:lol we just lost both guys, thanks Jordan.
Damnit, I hate this 3rd string jock sniffers with a twitter account.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jordan SchultzVerified account
@Schultz_Report
The Huffington Post Sports Columnist, Bleacher Report College Hoops Analyst, Sirius XM Radio/BR Host, All-State/College 2-guard. Instagram
:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmfao. Yo if he curses this I swear to god im gonna air dude out. It's douchey as hell to have "all state/college 2-guard" in your signature. It's even worse if your "all state" really was being picked as a preseason all state selection, and when Washington state picks all state guys at each level, 5A, 4A, etc., and you went to a 1A school w 250 students. And you played college ball for a D3 school, where there are no athletic scholarships. :lol:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Damn. I was really hoping we had a chance for JJ. But if that guy is reporting we are still in the mix, I guess we aren't. Seems like you can set in stone the opposite of anything in question that guy reports.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Are there Vegas prop bet odds on recruiting?

I trust the sorcery of Miller and I fully believe we land both TF and JJ along with a grad transfer and/or the 7ft Turkish guy.

Miller clearly was very sad about the talent drip off this year and I guarantee you he will never let a drop like that occur again
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're gonna have some good news this week, one way or another.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Beachcat97 wrote:We're gonna have some good news this week, one way or another.
BC, are you an economist?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EOCT wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We're gonna have some good news this week, one way or another.
BC, are you an economist?
No, a professor. I teach courses in The Rise and Fall of the Bruin Empire.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Jordan SchultzVerified account
@Schultz_Report
The Huffington Post Sports Columnist, Bleacher Report College Hoops Analyst, Sirius XM Radio/BR Host, All-State/College 2-guard. Instagram
:
I need to start posting as Boys and Girls Club summer league player of the week 1994.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I scored 31 in an adult city league hoops game and was part of turning a triple play in little league. Both were in the newspaper, so they are, like, press covered and verifiable. Big time. If they made the news, it must have been huge. I need to add that to my profile...and maybe my resume, too
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So it was true?!

JJ was going to commit Thursday, and was rumoured he was going to commit to Kansas. Does say he has best relationship with Miller though.....hmm idk
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

This is getting absurd with the twitter shit
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Not holding my breath, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Jackson was just dicking around and played along with the Twitter rumors.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dosia wrote:Not holding my breath, but would love to be pleasantly surprised.
This is where I'm at.