Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea im not really feeling the negative stuff about Zo too much. He has a tougher decision to make given his age and the strength of the next class. Hes just a quiet and ambitious dude with a dream. Havent heard anything about him being a cancer or a problem. Have heard quite a bit from Miller and others of his tireless work ethic. I dont know how u kill your stock in one game where the whole offense struggled and you are playing the best defense in the country. Regardless, he only took 12 shots. I think we would all agree before the game that Trier was the guy we wanted taking the most shots in that game or pretty much any other, and 12 shots isnt really a whole hell of a lot
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/" target="_blank

Currently clocking in as a 2nd round pick in '17. Notice that LM is projected as a first rounder.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hope Dorsey bails lol. Oregon loses Cook, Benjamin and Boucher, but gain Ennis. So lose a bit of that long athletecism that gave us fits, but still plenty of pop.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Bottom line: Trier did not have the kind of freshman year performance that guaranteed a spot in the 1st round, so if he indeed leaves, he's banking that his pre-draft workouts will be impressive enough to convince one GM to select him. It's risky. And it's arguable that he has more to gain by playing another season at AZ. This is about as objective as I can be. I want what's best for AT. Not sure the NBADL is better than a sophomore year at AZ, where he'll be a key player on a NCAA tourney team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Hope Dorsey bails lol. Oregon loses Cook, Benjamin and Boucher, but gain Ennis. So lose a bit of that long athletecism that gave us fits, but still plenty of pop.
I thought Boucher was granted another year of eligibility.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well, 1) Trier is working with the new set of rules effective this year; and 2) he hasn't made a decision yet, at least publicly.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Hope Dorsey bails lol. Oregon loses Cook, Benjamin and Boucher, but gain Ennis. So lose a bit of that long athletecism that gave us fits, but still plenty of pop.
Shit, I forgot hearing that in their game yesterday. Christ.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Shit, I forgot hearing that in their game yesterday. Christ.
Still, though, OR loses key guys. Pac looks pretty open next season. Trending up: AZ (stellar recruiting class), USC (everyone is back), UW (tons of returning players), probably UCLA (also stellar recruiting class but Alford...); trending down: Cal (loses key players), Utah (loses key players), Colorado (loses key players), Stanford (first year coach).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Bottom line: Trier did not have the kind of freshman year performance that guaranteed a spot in the 1st round, so if he indeed leaves, he's banking that his pre-draft workouts will be impressive enough to convince one GM to select him. It's risky. And it's arguable that he has more to gain by playing another season at AZ. This is about as objective as I can be. I want what's best for AT. Not sure the NBADL is better than a sophomore year at AZ, where he'll be a key player on a NCAA tourney team.
First round guarantee? I'm not sure he's guaranteed to go first/second round right now.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Let's go
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

BTFD, 'zo!
az91

Post by az91 »

Main Event wrote: Let's go
This is good news.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Great news!

a number of people in this thread look petty silly right now
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

What a time to be alive!

And it isn't even April 1 this time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Awesome. Add Ferguson and I'll be fine we don't get JJ. Having Allen, PJC, Simmons, Trier, Ferguson, Smith, Markkanen, Comanche and Ristic is a top 10 team
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

“After talking to Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to return to school for my sophomore season,” Trier said in a statement. “I am really excited about the quest to become a more complete player. I am also excited to develop as a leader and to lock arms with my teammates while competing for championships. I love being at the University of Arizona and can’t wait for next season to begin.”
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is fantastic for both player and team
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

az91 wrote:
This is good news.

Outstanding news! :D

“I am ecstatic about Allonzo’s decision to return to school for his sophomore year,” said head coach Sean Miller in a press release. “I believe he will become one of college basketball’s elite players next season. During our conversations, Allonzo shared his desire to be a leader on a championship team and to improve his overall game. By doing so, he puts himself in the best position possible for a very successful NBA future. I have not been around a player that works harder at the game or loves it more than he does. It’s this passion to be great that has all of us excited about our future together.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/618748/a ... asketball/" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:“After talking to Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to return to school for my sophomore season,” Trier said in a statement. “I am really excited about the quest to become a more complete player. I am also excited to develop as a leader and to lock arms with my teammates while competing for championships. I love being at the University of Arizona and can’t wait for next season to begin.”
Love this! I look forward to watching the freshman to soph jump for Zo.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:“After talking to Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to return to school for my sophomore season,” Trier said in a statement. “I am really excited about the quest to become a more complete player. I am also excited to develop as a leader and to lock arms with my teammates while competing for championships. I love being at the University of Arizona and can’t wait for next season to begin.”
Thanks Trier, so appreciate this! Best of luck too! :D :D
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

3 guard lineups!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:3 guard lineups!

Lute-ball!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Stick Ferguson on the wings to give us spacing for guys like Trier, Rawle etc and we're fine.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Love this! I look forward to watching the freshman to soph jump for Zo.
Somewhere, someone is thinking it isn't as big as Tyler Dorsey's will or may be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Dorsey's competitiveness/attitude > Trier's

As players: 1A & 1B
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Man are gong to get up and down the floor next year. So glad to hear he is coming back
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Dorsey's competitiveness/attitude > Trier's

I disagree very much about attitude. Trier played against SC with a broken hand for how long and he gets dogged for not being a gamer?

Oregon was better than us outside Dorsey/Trier and too many people see that.

So, bottom line, I'm hyped Zo is back.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Smart move Zo! Great news for the team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Dorsey's competitiveness/attitude > Trier's

I disagree very much about attitude. Trier played against SC with a broken hand for how long and he gets dogged for not being a gamer?

Oregon was better than us outside Dorsey/Trier and too many people see that.

So, bottom line, I'm hyped Zo is back.
Yeah, I don't know why anyone would think Zo's competitiveness or attitude was worse than anyone's. Only thing I can think is that the way the season ended for each team has clouded some judgement.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

This is the best news in a while, and restorative of some optimism and energy contemplating the Cats' offseason...

... I, for one, really welcome following Trier's development and evolution from a frosh to a soph. It's been a while since we've had such a high quality guy to stay....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Great news. This is why I don't pay for premium.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

pc in NM wrote: It's been a while since we've had such a high quality guy to stay....
It's been two years.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Excited for a 2nd year of Trier.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Chip on his shoulder.

He is going to step up and be a leader of this young team. Love this news.

Ferguson or Jackson and we are going to be unreal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell Yeah.

Man with a plan with something to prove. I likey
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm hoping he decides to take on the role of vocal leader for this team... we will need one.

Does he have it in him?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Alieberman wrote:I'm hoping he decides to take on the role of vocal leader for this team... we will need one.

Does he have it in him?
I think he does. Especially if/when surrounded by some new players who have a little more energy and passion for the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Since he was leaving on a sour note, wouldn't he be returning on one? Come on folks, stick to your convictions! Why welcome back someone who won't be missed?

No comment? :lol:
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Welcome back, Allonzo.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I may be called crazy for this, but I truly believe Zo coming back is bigger for this program than a Ferguson or Jackson commit. I think Trier comes back for a HUGE year. Pac12 player of the year type.

Jackson, if he came here, and was eligible, would probably have had a similar impact. But is it better to go with the guy we know than the unknown? Im questioning myself as I write this even, because I love Jackson's game. But Trier is a Wildcat. I like that we are keeping our guy for another year.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Miller is correct. Trier will be one of the Elite players in the country next year. Great chance to be the most efficient scoring guard Miller has ever had. Defense should improve tremendously as well. It wouldn't be right if he and Smith never played together.
gumby

Post by gumby »

billk78 wrote:I may be called crazy for this, but I truly believe Zo coming back is bigger for this program than a Ferguson or Jackson commit. I think Trier comes back for a HUGE year. Pac12 player of the year type.

Jackson, if he came here, and was eligible, would probably have had a similar impact. But is it better to go with the guy we know than the unknown? Im questioning myself as I write this even, because I love Jackson's game. But Trier is a Wildcat. I like that we are keeping our guy for another year.
Cuz he won't dive for loose balls, has a worse attitude than the Oregon dude, says "no comment" when he doesn't want to talk and the team didn't win the conference. Hard to overlook ... unless he comes back. Then, never mind. Now he bleeds red and blue.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

:lol: OK, great, he's back. Made the right decision.

But before we build a Drew Struzan-inspired shrine to a 19-year-old, maybe we ought to downgrade Allonzo Trier's status from "savior" to key piece of the puzzle or something more reasonable...fair?

After all, this is the same kid whose shot was pushed in, so to speak, by two Wichita State guards. That effort is conveniently forgotten in the unconditional fan love, I guess.

Cue the "I don't think we're going that overboard" push of the pendulum too far the other way. I think this board is getting a bit bipolar on potential and recruiting hype and not looking critically enough at a player's last performance.

Oregon is still Oregon next year. Duke will still be Duke. Kentucky will still be Kentucky.

But Arizona can't be the Arizona it was this year. It has to step things up a notch. Recruiting classes alone don't change that. Desire and determination do more.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think picking and choosing particular games to trash a player whose season-long statistics were damn good is disingenuous at best. Our entire team had its shot pushed back in by Wichita's best-in-the-nation defense. It wasn't only Trier.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:I think this board is getting a bit bipolar on potential and recruiting hype and not looking critically enough at a player's last performance.
Bibby, Simon, and Dickerson combined to shoot 6 for 36 in their last game of their college careers against Utah in '98. So screw that whole "National Championship" thing because we should look critically at a player's last performance?

Ha! :lol:

By the way, I think the term you're looking for is "shit pushed in". Which is an ugly way of describing what was a bad matchup against a good team. If you really think that Trier was prison raped by WSU, it is you who needs some perspective, not us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

If Miller is wiling to give him a second chance .... overlook his last game. ... insists on judging the total season .... then he must still be sweating.

We need a cool, calm, collected coach.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

And just to get past the emotion in comparing Trier and Dorsey, here are the advanced stats comparing the two:

PER (18.7 - 17.8), TS% (.603 - .575), eFG% (.542 - .537), WS/40 (.170 - .148), ORtg (116.7 - 115.3), DRtg (101.3 - 103.9)

So, in short, Trier was a more effective scorer, a better shooter overall (although Dorsey was better from 3), contributed to more wins while he was on the court, and was in general a better offensive player and defensive player than Dorsey.

If only he hadn't screwed up and said, 'No comment.'
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL. Lotta people eating their words right now. I understand it's in most of our nature to find someone to be mad at after a big loss, but Trier being that guy was unjustified, whether it was his performance in the last game or him weighing his options to leave. Zo had a hell of a freshman season. While he wasn't Stanley or Gordon individually, he wasn't that far off, and those guys had the benefit of playing on far better teams and with TJ McConnell. Dude has a near lifetime pass from me for his effort in the USC game. And his season would have been completely different without that injury, he was hot, incredibly efficient and had to have been averaging like 17 a game during the preceding eight games and still trending up.

Zo is going to be one of the best offensive players in CBB next year. Will be interesting to see how this recruiting class finishes, hopefully we can reel Ferguson in and know we will be set whether JJ goes here or elsewhere. I don't feel Zo is a selfish player, I just think maybe he gets tunnel vision or is hyper focused when he is in bucket mode. Months back I mentioned his vision, he sees things really well- spacing and the " second layer" of defenders behind the man guarding him. Trier only took double digit shots in 15 of 27 games and averaged 15ppg. Only topped 15 shots twice and they were games we needed him bad (USC 4OT and Utah). Unnamed player who people got a little hard on took 15+ 11 times, averaged 2.6 shots per game more and scored essentially the same. And remember, a lot of that efficiency and shooting ability took a hit after the hand injury.

We get T Ferg, I think that solidifies us inside the top 10, I'd probably have us 8th or so.