Terrance Ferguson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Terrance Ferguson

Post by ASUHATER! »

Roy retires. UNC hires Miller and takes Ferguson, Markkanen and Alkins with him.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Roy retires. UNC hires Miller and takes Ferguson, Markkanen and Alkins with him.
No chance Miller winds up at UNC. Roy will hand pick his replacement and with the NCAA investigation, CSM will not be their next coach.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Considering all the scuttlebutt says he's #1 on the list..

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

... all the scuttlebutt . . . where?

Besides speculation that you read right here, what other sources have called Miller the #1 candidate?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Zero

Post by Zero »

Yeah, have not heard much about any of that except here and Scout premium. And, it is all just speculation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jeff Goodman pointed out yesterday that Dean Smith told Roy he thought he retired too early and that Roy has kept this in mind lately. JG also thinks these elite college coaches are unlikely to retire when they're at the top of their game. Roy has them positioned to do this for at least another few years. Bottom line: it's going to shock everyone if Roy retires this summer.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Irish27 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Roy retires. UNC hires Miller and takes Ferguson, Markkanen and Alkins with him.
No chance Miller winds up at UNC. Roy will hand pick his replacement and with the NCAA investigation, CSM will not be their next coach.
Roy didn't hand pick his replacement at KU.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Zero

Post by Zero »

He also didn't win championships at Kansas.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:Is he really thinking of looking at UNC?
He's pumping up his hype train. That's all this is at this point. Just sit back and relax.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

enfuego wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Roy didn't hand pick his replacement at KU.
I never said he did. :roll:
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Irish27 wrote:
I respectfully disagree with the assessment.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Jay Wright is a better candidate right now, and they'll always look for a NC guy before anybody. No chance on Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

whatisee wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Jay Wright is a better candidate right now, and they'll always look for a NC guy before anybody. No chance on Miller
There are no NC guys qualified for that head coaching job right now. Wright is either the second or third choice behind Stevens (who wouldn't leave the Celtics), but there's every reason to believe Wright wouldn't take the UNC job, so it probably doesn't make much difference in any case. Williams is unlikely to retire after Monday, but these kinds of retirements are often a surprise. If the unlikely were to happen and he does retire (which he won't), Miller would be very likely to get an offer.

Since Williams is likely to retire several years from now, we have no idea what the list would like then.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier back. This is why you take your time.
Right where I want to be.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

gumby wrote:Trier back. This is why you take your time.
So no Ferguson or Jackson?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:
We should give up early to save time.

Really, I don't understand how this makes a difference for either JJ or TF.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

billk78 wrote:
That's how it's looking, but I personally prefer Trier to Ferguson. And we've got KS and RA. Backcourt is loaded. Frontcourt...meh.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I prefer Trier over Ferguson too. I posted in the other thread I have very high hopes for Trier. And I love that he's back. I don't think it will impact the Jackson decision, but again, maybe I'd rather just keep our guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
That's how it's looking, but I personally prefer Trier to Ferguson. And we've got KS and RA. Backcourt is loaded. Frontcourt...meh.
For real, you guys need to stop giving up.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Not giving up. Trying to stay realistic. He may still come, but the Trier decision has to impact him. If we do end up getting Ferg, with Trier back I don't think PJC will see the court very much.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pieces are falling into place. I think we're fine without Ferguson. And JJ? Well, if he thinks a year in Lawrence is better than a year in Tucson...his loss.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Not giving up. Trying to stay realistic. He may still come, but the Trier decision has to impact him. If we do end up getting Ferg, with Trier back I don't think PJC will see the court very much.
I really don't see that. If we play a small lineup a bit, we can offer 25 mpg or more, which is as much as he has a chance to elsewhere.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Don't try to stop people from doing what truly makes them happy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sean Miller sure as shit didn't host Terrance Ferguson and tell him that Allonzo wasn't likely to come back. We're just fine with Ferguson, knock it off already Jesus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
They just need to stop posting already.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good lord, calm down. It's a possible factor. Is that really controversial? He's not going to decide based on this obscure message board.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

What you talking bout, "obscure?" This is the number one hit when I search for bear down wildcats.
gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:

Which is what everyone naturally types.
Zero

Post by Zero »

BC really needs to get his glass at least half full every now and again.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Go the the UCLA thread. BC uses all his optimism there. None left for UA.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Yeah, it feels like Miller's still in it for Terrance Ferguson. For the reasons noted above, the kid (and mom) must have a handle on player updates. So Trier's decision to stay must already be factored in. Interesting drama.

Come on down kid! Join the party. 8-)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why would this affect Ferguson when Trier coming back isn't a development? Inside McKale, the expectation was that Trier would return. Ferguson's mom and his circle knew that. It feels like some people around here think that recruiting is a sequence of personal, emotionally-driven reactions.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Why would this affect Ferguson when Trier coming back isn't a development? Inside McKale, the expectation was that Trier would return. Ferguson's mom and his circle knew that. It feels like some people around here think that recruiting is a sequence of personal, emotionally-driven reactions.
I think some people get their own opinions confused with what is available to recruits.

The max anyone ever heard about Trier is that he wants to be a pro (what college player doesn't) and the thing about him transferring between high schools. That somehow transformed into him being gone.

Miller was obviously committed to Trier returning, and would have laid that out for recruits. It's only natural that a recruit would get better insight than one of us. I don't think it's an accident that both JJ and TF waited to see, but I think it's a mistake to see that as hurting us.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

There seriously wasn't a moment where I thought Trier would leave. Declare? I expected that. I think he made quite a statement about his commitment to not even get the free evaluation. But he was never leaving.

If I knew that, everyone knew that. Or at least the "everyone" who goes into the JJ and Ferguson decision. Trier coming back caught some message board people off-guard (no pun intended) maybe. But no one seriously in the chain of decision making for UA basketball or Ferguson or JJ were counting on Trier leaving as part of their interest in Arizona.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Boring, let's get back to talking about Miller to UNC.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Roy isn't going out like that. Unless some surprising sanctions come, be shocked if he left. And the severity of the sanctions for him to go would probably be enough to deter an elite coach at a top program from going.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Even if the sanctions on UNC are severe that won't deter any elite coaches. It's still UNC.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You going to leave Arizona, Nova, Celtics, Wichita State for a 2 or 3-year postseason ban and a few more years of scholarship restrictions thereafter? While common sense tells us the NCAA will not do that, I'm not sure Roy Williams leaves for a one-year postseason ban and 1 less scholarship for three years. Hell, they may not even get that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ACC for basketball and SEC for football gets just hand slaps and strongly worded letter from the NCAA compared to the PAC in both sports.

USC football is the obvious one, but remember when the UA lost a scholie for 2 years due to some Lute Olson stamped signature on some Jim Story Cactus Classic fund raising letter?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:ACC for basketball and SEC for football gets just hand slaps and strongly worded letter from the NCAA compared to the PAC in both sports.

USC football is the obvious one, but remember when the UA lost a scholie for 2 years due to some Lute Olson stamped signature on some Jim Story Cactus Classic fund raising letter?
Don't forget the free slices of lukewarm pizza.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They're not getting any sanctions unfortunately. Even if they did its still a destination job like USC football. If they do have sanctions, coaches will have longer leashes and not the instant pressure to win immediately.

Roy Williams told Andy Katz that he doesn't think North Carolina will get any sanctions.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -sanctions" target="_blank

Roy really loves Dean Smith, he really loves him and I still think he'll do the same as Dean Smith and stay long enough to pick his successor (to ensure his guy gets the job).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Why would this affect Ferguson when Trier coming back isn't a development? Inside McKale, the expectation was that Trier would return. Ferguson's mom and his circle knew that. It feels like some people around here think that recruiting is a sequence of personal, emotionally-driven reactions.
Because people, like me, don't know the inside-the-McKale perspective.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:There seriously wasn't a moment where I thought Trier would leave. Declare? I expected that. I think he made quite a statement about his commitment to not even get the free evaluation. But he was never leaving.

If I knew that, everyone knew that. Or at least the "everyone" who goes into the JJ and Ferguson decision. Trier coming back caught some message board people off-guard (no pun intended) maybe. But no one seriously in the chain of decision making for UA basketball or Ferguson or JJ were counting on Trier leaving as part of their interest in Arizona.
You didn't know. It was an opinion.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:ACC for basketball and SEC for football gets just hand slaps and strongly worded letter from the NCAA compared to the PAC in both sports.

SMU got a one-year ban for academic fraud involving just one player. This stuff has been going on for 18 years? Multiple sports programs? NCAA is already to the point now where they are teetering over the edge. While I do not know the alternative, you got to figure they are one, maybe two big programs being let off from a huge explosion. The lack of accountability and self-imposed sanctions.. eh. I mean, who are we fooling, we all know the way this story is going to end. Part of me still has a glimmer of hope, not that the NCAA does the right thing (we all know who they are), but they feel like they are forced to do the right thing and even do 1/2 or 3/4 of the right thing. The thing though, is this involves at least three sports programs, so they can deliver a "harsh" penalty (across the board f*ckery for the whole athletic department) rather than multiple years focused on 1, 2, or 3 sports.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

SMU got a one-year ban for academic fraud involving just one player. This stuff has been going on for 18 years? Multiple sports programs? NCAA is already to the point now where they are teetering over the edge. While I do not know the alternative, you got to figure they are one, maybe two big programs being let off from a huge explosion. The lack of accountability and self-imposed sanctions.. eh. I mean, who are we fooling, we all know the way this story is going to end. Part of me still has a glimmer of hope, not that the NCAA does the right thing (we all know who they are), but they feel like they are forced to do the right thing and even do 1/2 or 3/4 of the right thing. The thing though, is this involves at least three sports programs, so they can deliver a "harsh" penalty (across the board f*ckery for the whole athletic department) rather than multiple years focused on 1, 2, or 3 sports.
To paraphrase Tark, the NCAA is probably mad enough at UNC to drop the death penalty on SMU again.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

rgdeuce wrote:SMU got a one-year ban for academic fraud involving just one player. This stuff has been going on for 18 years? Multiple sports programs? NCAA is already to the point now where they are teetering over the edge. While I do not know the alternative, you got to figure they are one, maybe two big programs being let off from a huge explosion. The lack of accountability and self-imposed sanctions.. eh. I mean, who are we fooling, we all know the way this story is going to end. Part of me still has a glimmer of hope, not that the NCAA does the right thing (we all know who they are), but they feel like they are forced to do the right thing and even do 1/2 or 3/4 of the right thing. The thing though, is this involves at least three sports programs, so they can deliver a "harsh" penalty (across the board f*ckery for the whole athletic department) rather than multiple years focused on 1, 2, or 3 sports.
I agree with you on many of the points you made. First, what UNC did was very bad and deserves a very harsh penalty. Lack of Institutional Control and cheating across all sports for 18 years? Second, the NCAA is teetering on the edge. In cases like this, Louisville, etc the NCAA needs to do something fairly quickly and do something fairly serious to assert it's authority. If the NCAA doesn't do something fairly quickly and do something fairly serious the last threads of authority probably disappear (if that hasn't happened already).

And lastly, like you, I basically expect nothing to happen which, for all intents and purposes, probably ends to NCAA (if it hasn't already defacto ended).
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:To paraphrase Tark, the NCAA is probably mad enough at UNC to drop the death penalty on SMU again.
:lol:

Exactly. The reality is Boise State should probably be shaking in their boots.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

gumby wrote:
EVCat wrote:There seriously wasn't a moment where I thought Trier would leave. Declare? I expected that. I think he made quite a statement about his commitment to not even get the free evaluation. But he was never leaving.

You didn't know. It was an opinion.
Well, no shit.

Still wasn't some crazy reach. Or even slightly surprising. I suppose we could get twisted up in some deep philosophical argument about how no one really knows anything, and what is knowledge? Is it perspective? Is this happening, or is it a dream? Cue the Floyd...

But, yeah...outside of message board central, Trier coming back was no surprise to anyone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Logic says he would return. But it's often absent in these decisions. Can you Grant me that?