Former Cats in the NBA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Former Cats in the NBA

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great article on DWill's turnaround: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/01/der ... th-knicks/" target="_blank
Williams is rewarding Phil Jackson’s faith with the best season of his career. A couple small tweaks in his approach have moved Williams’ production into the positive side of the ledger.

“There’s a reason why I went so high in the draft,” Williams said. “Like I said, this league is about opportunity, situation and timing – those three things right there. And if you have good opportunity, situation is right, and the time is right on point, you can’t be stopped.”
Williams is letting the game come to him now, and it shows in his efficiency.

Most of Williams’ numbers resemble prior seasons. He’s not shooting better inside or outside the arc. He’s not rebounding better. His defensive metrics remain poor.

Williams improvement can be chalked up entirely to two areas: free throws and passing, and it’s mostly free throws.

By reacting to defenders rather than critics, Williams has excelled at inducing contact. He has always drawn fouls well, but he has reached a whole new level this season.

Williams’ 10.0 free-throw attempts per 100 possessions – which ranks 12th in the NBA (minimum: 400 minutes) – are by far a career high
Williams’ comfort with the ball in his hands has also helped him develop a passing game that was non-existent prior. His driving ability opens passing lanes, and Williams is taking advantage at a reasonable rate.

His assist percentage (blue) is a career high, his turnover percentage (orange) a career low. And for the first time, the latter tops the former
Williams wouldn’t say whether he’ll exercise his $4,598,000 player option, but it seems likely he’ll opt out to take advantage of the salary cap skyrocketing. I wouldn’t be surprised if his salary doubles.

The risk Williams took with a one-and-one contract is on the verge of paying off. He says he never fretted about the risk of bypassing a long-term deal. Instead, his primary goal for the season was rehabbing his reputation.

“I’m not necessarily worried about, I wouldn’t say, money situations or injuries or things like that. I think, if you just enjoy the game, things happen for a reason, man. Injuries happen,” Williams said before his tone changed ever so slightly. “Playing well happens.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:Great article on DWill's turnaround: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/01/der ... th-knicks/" target="_blank
Williams is rewarding Phil Jackson’s faith with the best season of his career. A couple small tweaks in his approach have moved Williams’ production into the positive side of the ledger.

“There’s a reason why I went so high in the draft,” Williams said. “Like I said, this league is about opportunity, situation and timing – those three things right there. And if you have good opportunity, situation is right, and the time is right on point, you can’t be stopped.”
Williams is letting the game come to him now, and it shows in his efficiency.

Most of Williams’ numbers resemble prior seasons. He’s not shooting better inside or outside the arc. He’s not rebounding better. His defensive metrics remain poor.

Williams improvement can be chalked up entirely to two areas: free throws and passing, and it’s mostly free throws.

By reacting to defenders rather than critics, Williams has excelled at inducing contact. He has always drawn fouls well, but he has reached a whole new level this season.

Williams’ 10.0 free-throw attempts per 100 possessions – which ranks 12th in the NBA (minimum: 400 minutes) – are by far a career high
Williams’ comfort with the ball in his hands has also helped him develop a passing game that was non-existent prior. His driving ability opens passing lanes, and Williams is taking advantage at a reasonable rate.

His assist percentage (blue) is a career high, his turnover percentage (orange) a career low. And for the first time, the latter tops the former
Williams wouldn’t say whether he’ll exercise his $4,598,000 player option, but it seems likely he’ll opt out to take advantage of the salary cap skyrocketing. I wouldn’t be surprised if his salary doubles.

The risk Williams took with a one-and-one contract is on the verge of paying off. He says he never fretted about the risk of bypassing a long-term deal. Instead, his primary goal for the season was rehabbing his reputation.

“I’m not necessarily worried about, I wouldn’t say, money situations or injuries or things like that. I think, if you just enjoy the game, things happen for a reason, man. Injuries happen,” Williams said before his tone changed ever so slightly. “Playing well happens.”
I would hate for him to opt out to sign elsewhere and have all
He's built this year vanish. Happens all the time.

I get why he's doing it, but he openly acknowledges "situation, opportunity, and timing" and taking the money elsewhere likely clashes with that, as the team's willing to pay him 8+ per year are likely bottom feeders (not that Knicks arent) without the system structure of the triangle that plays to his strengths.

I doubt the Knicks overpay to bring a role player back.

That said, I've heard rumblings the Knicks will move away from the triangle with next coaching hire.

Guess we'll have to see. Interesting summer, ahead, for sure.

If Barnes from Golden State gets his big money and bolts, Williams would make sense as a mid-level option off the bench for Golden State, but I think they go after Durant and I'm not sure that's solved quickly, so I think Williams is off the market by the time Durant decides.

If Durant bolts, Williams in OKC might make some sense. He'd work well alongside Weatbrook and would likely see a nice role in their smaller lineup.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are some stats in the article that argue that DWill would be better on a team that runs more than the Knicks. So if they do go away from the triangle he should consider re-upping.

And speaking of former Cats in the NBA...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stan upset with Stan

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/4/6/ ... n-rotation" target="_blank

Reggie Bullock shines as he takes Stanley Johnson's place in rotation
Bullock took the place of rookie Stanley Johnson as the first guard off the bench, and he delivered big time to the tune of 13 points, six assists, zero turnovers and three made 3-pointers.

Van Gundy admitted that at this point, the move was a no-brainer, and one he said his assistants had been pushing for.

The bench unit was its best with Bullock in the lineup in place of the then-injured Johnson, and Johnson has been awful since returning from his shoulder injury.

Since returning to the lineup, Johnson is shooting 28 percent from the field and averaging more turnovers than assists. He also looks very much like a rookie, and with his shot not falling, he looks unsure what to do with the ball in his hands, leading to poor decisions and ugly, costly turnovers.

"Stanley's just really been struggling, and because he's struggling, he's been pressing a bit," Van Gundy said.

Whether it's about hitting the rookie wall, something health-related, or just not getting back into a groove after missing several weeks, it was time to make the change.
Stanley DNP last night against Aaron and the Magic
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/nba/ ... 1604130077" target="_blank

PHILADELPHIA — T.J. McConnell had just finished a recent game with the Philadelphia 76ers when he and his father, a few family members and some friends decided to visit an establishment within walking distance of Wells Fargo Center. T.J. was first to the door when a worker announced there was a $10 cover charge, but free admittance with a 76ers ticket stub.

“He played,” said Tim McConnell, pointing at his son.

The worker still wanted $10.

“No, you don’t understand. He played in the game,” Tim McConnell tried to reason.

No matter. It was $10.

Such is the respect these days for a 76ers player.

Tonight marks the final game of T.J. McConnell’s rookie season in the NBA. Thursday, he will wake up from the dream. Or nightmare. Or both.

McConnell has defied odds. Making the NBA as an undrafted point guard with roots from, of all places, Western Pennsylvania? You don’t need all your fingers to count the number of point guards in the history of the WPIAL who have made the NBA. The previous one was Monaca’s Brad Davis, who finished his career 24 years ago.

McConnell was a WPIAL great at Chartiers Valley High School, evidenced by his selection to the 2016 WPIAL Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. McConnell and the rest of the WPIAL class will be announced today.

But McConnell is playing with the 76ers. The team name almost matches the number in the loss column for Philadelphia this season. The 76ers have had one of the worst seasons in NBA history, entering a game Tuesday night at Toronto with a 10-70 record. Only three other teams in league history have won 11 games or fewer in an 82-game season.

Playing in the NBA — and playing for the 76ers — for someone such as McConnell, it’s like eating lobster dipped in vinegar. You make the promised land (only 71 rookies played in the league this season), just to lose more games in one season than eight years of high school and college combined. McConnell lost a total of 51 games — 14 at Chartiers Valley, 28 in two years at Duquesne and nine in two years at Arizona.

Oh sure, who cares about losses when you’re making a half-million dollars playing basketball? The minimum NBA salary is $525,093. But this sure isn’t easy for someone who has won as much as McConnell.

“It’s nice to get a paycheck to play the game you love,” McConnell said. “But I don’t think people have a clue how hard it is to make the NBA, and to stay there is even harder. Then you’re only able to win 10 games; it’s really tough.

“But I look at it like a learning experience. It’s tough losing, but at the same time I’m getting valuable minutes on a team and learning a lot of valuable things. … For the most part, we get treated pretty well [in Philadelphia], but I’m not really recognized that much because I just look like a normal guy. Everyone is pretty nice, except for a jerk here and there.”

McConnell believes he has played “pretty well” in his rookie season. He has played on average almost half the game (19.8 minutes), and he is second among NBA rookies in assists per game (4.5) and third in steals per game (1.2). He is averaging 6.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and shooting 47 percent as the backup to point guard Ish Smith.

76ers coach Brett Brown seems to like McConnell and his mentality. Friday, Brown met McConnell’s father for the first time. Tim coached T.J. at Chartiers Valley and when Brown met dad, he said, “Thanks for giving me a real warrior.”

“Expectation-wise, I don’t think a lot of people thought I would be doing this well,” T.J. McConnell said. “I’ve just tried to do my job day-in and day-out and be a good locker room guy.”

Here’s a few things McConnell learned:

Toughest opponent to defend? “Everyone knows Steph Curry [Golden State Warriors] is the best player in the world, but Isaiah Thomas [Boston Celtics] was the toughest for me.”

Biggest talker? “Patrick Beverly [Houston Rockets]. He wasn’t real nice.”

Good guy? “People might not think this, but [Sacramento Kings point guard] Rajon Rondo was one of the nicest guys. He just always seemed encouraging.”

McConnell plans to return to Pittsburgh shortly after the season and will spend some time here before heading back to Philadelphia. He has a four-year contract with the 76ers, but nothing is guaranteed.

“I’m just going to work on everything in the offseason, but mainly I want to get a ton of shots up,” McConnell said. “I want to work on becoming a more consistent shooter.”

McConnell also will be here for the WPIAL Hall of Fame banquet in June. As a senior at Chartiers Valley in 2010, he averaged 34 points and scored 1,062, a WPIAL record for points in a season.

“It’s an honor,” McConnell said of the Hall of Fame. “I thought maybe I’d have a chance to go in someday, but I didn’t think I would go in this early.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rondae with the unbelievable move: http://websta.me/p/1228585466991499558_29008861" target="_blank
r.hollisjefferson24 - In honor of my main man @kobebryant I tried a reverse for you.. I meant to jump into him and 180 but I believed in the reverse lol.. Thank you Kobe truly a game changer
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Love ya Stanley, but don't think LeBron isn't going to remember that and make you pay.

Save the Twitter trash talk for after you've won a title, at least.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

It might be better for young Mr. Johnson in the long run if he remembered T.J. McConnell's advice:

"SHUT UP STANLEY, JUST SHUT UP!"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:Save the Twitter trash talk for after you've won a title, at least.
A) Oh, ok... :roll:
B) He was responding to reporters questions, not talking trash on Twitter
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

25 ppg, 60% shooting for lebron in two games so far
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've seen the media diatribes against Stanley Johnson. Just don't act like you're not entertained. It's a fan's league, and a 19-year-old talking it up about the greatest basketball player in the world is exactly what we all want in the first round of the playoffs. When Barkley was a player, he never forgot this was entertainment.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Go Stanley. I don't get the hate for him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:25 ppg, 60% shooting for lebron in two games so far
His shooting numbers against Stanley are actually even better, but I love it that Stanimal backs down from no receding hairline.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Stanley has made him work for that 7-9 shooting LBJ has against him though. That's all you can do. It's not like Stanley is getting dunked on mercilessly. LBJ is hitting tough fadeaways against him. Stanley is the key guy bringing the competitiveness and fire out of LBJ too, just banging with him. I love it too. Must watch game tomorrow night in Detroit. Helps that the Cavs have Frye and RJ out there, plenty of Cats to watch.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley is playing great defense. He man'd up on LeBron, got a stop, and then hit a three. LeBron got pissed and went on a rampage. Made a couple tough buckets and stared Stanley down haha. Stanley and RJ were talking a little bit too haha. I love everything about this series. Cleveland is going to be beat up when they get to the next round. I think Detroit takes one of these next 2 games for sure.

Heres the full text:
"I could care less if I'm in his head or in his mind or anything like that," Johnson said. "I'm just trying to play basketball. It's up to him how he wants to react to whatever he does. I think I'm in a good place. He had a great night. He's had a couple great nights. He made a couple tough-ass shots.

"He hit two 3's, which is not, like, his norm. He hit a tough-ass turnaround on me, and he played really physical. I battled physical. He didn't get any paint touches. He made a bunch of tough shots. So he's going to have to go 40 minutes and make those same tough shots every game for them to do what they did tonight."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, James has scored 15 points on 7-for-9 shooting against Johnson as his primary defender in the series. James was 6-for-6 against Johnson for 13 points on Wednesday.

Johnson was asked about a moment in the first quarter Wednesday night, when it appeared he and James bumped each other. Johnson felt that James initiated the contact.

"I don't know what y'all take from that," Johnson said. "I don't take anything from it. But a cheap-ass shot, a cheap-ass bump. I don't know."

"He jabbers," Johnson said of James. "He moves his mouth sometimes. Their whole team does, kind of like their little cheerleaders on the bench. Every time you walk in the right corner. They're always saying something like they're playing basketball, like they're actually in the game. There's only seven or eight players who play. I don't see why the other players are talking. They might as well just be in the stands, in my opinion."

Johnson thought that the timing of James' words could be better.

"I wish he would just talk when [the game] is 0-0, not when he's up 16," Johnson said. "I think that's more -- that means something. That means you're confident in yourself. You believe what you're about to do. Don't talk after you made a couple shots. Anybody can do that."

Asked why Johnson wasn't scared of James, as many other players would be in his situation, especially in the playoffs, Johnson responded with a question of his own.

"Why would I be?" Johnson said.

When told he had never been on the playoff stage and that there weren't many players like James, Johnson wasn't fazed.

"He laces his shoes up the same way I lace my shoes up," he said. "He has to come out there and compete and make his shots. He doesn't come prepared. That's the NBA. Anybody and everybody can get busted any night. From the last guy on the bench to the first guy out. He's going to have to strap his shoes in every night tight because I'm going to strap my shoes in every night tight.

"I'm going to play hard and compete every night as much as I can. Like I said before, he's a great player. I never took that away from him. I never said anything about that. I just said I'm going to compete every night and give my hardest effort every night and live with it. He makes shots like he did tonight and plays like he did tonight, ain't many people in the league, ever, probably ever, that can match that. So it is what it is. He had a great game, and move on."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It would be crazy if went all Cats!!!

Bayless, TJ, SJ, Rondae, Dwill, AG, budinger, Frye, ZUES, S.Hill, J.Hill, Iggy

Jet as a player coach, Damon assistant.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:
5 years/$25 million.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Not bad for a guy who a year and a half ago was doing halftime analysis for the Big West
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Not bad for a guy who a year and a half ago was doing halftime analysis for the Big West
39-4 will change a few things.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:Not bad for a guy who a year and a half ago was doing halftime analysis for the Big West
Your hatred and tears are delicious
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Your hatred and tears are delicious
Hatred and tears over...?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Channing with 27 points and 7 rebounds in Cleveland's win.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mark Jackson is a colossally bitter douchebag and can eat a dick...

From the broadcast last night -
Jeff Van Gundy: “Don’t talk about what you need to do to win. Do what you need to do to win. Richard Jefferson, great loose ball play and has always been a terrific finisher on the break.”

Mark Jackson: “Guy’s a pro. Stays ready. Played for me in Golden State. Cost us a series in San Antonio, missing two free throws, but I’m not holding onto that. Still has plenty in the tank and playing at a high level for this Cavaliers team.”
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

"but I'm not holding on to that"

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

All-Arizona NBA Finals will have Lute, fans riveted

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Updated 5 hrs ago

Lute Olson has picked a team to root for in the 2016 NBA Finals, but it isn’t the Warriors or the Cavaliers.

It’s the Wildcats.

A total of seven former Arizona players, all of whom played during the Olson era, will be facing off in the NBA Finals[/b] starting Thursday. The Warriors have forward Andre Iguodala, plus coaches Steve Kerr, Luke Walton and Bruce Fraser, while the Cavaliers have forward Channing Frye and Richard Jefferson, plus assistant coach Bret Brielmaier.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... d5d74.html" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would really love to see Channing and RJ get a ring

Rooting for Cleveland in this one
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

21.8% of the players and coaches in this year's NBA Finals played for Arizona.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Four per 36 minutes statlines from four rookie seasons (different years):

Player A: 9.9ppg, 5.7 RPG, 5.8 APG, 2.7 TOPG, 2.5 stl, 41.8% fg, 20.7% 3pfg, 64.7% FT.
Player B: 11.1ppg, 5.6 RPG, 8.2 APG, 3.1 TOPG, 2.1 stl, 47% fg, 34.8% 3pfg, 63.4% FT.
Player C: 12.4ppg, 5.8 RPG, 8.2APG, 3.4TOPG, 2.0 stl, 38.5% fg, 27.2% 3pfg, 69.8% FT.
Player D: 16.1ppg, 5.1 RPG, 7.8 APG, 2.3 TOPG, 2.2 stl, 43% fg%, 28.2% 3pfg, 84.7% FT.

Player A was a first round pick who had the benefit of playing alongside Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen - Rajon Rondo. Player C was the 2nd pick in the 1994 NBA draft and is one of the greatest point guards to ever play the game - Jason Kidd. Player D was the 4th pick of the 2005 NBA Draft and has been the best point guard in the league for roughly half of his career - Chris Paul...... Player B is an undrafted white boy from Arizona presently playing for that group of misfits called the Philadelphia 76ers. Not a bad rookie campaign for TJ.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat wrote:

Too cool! 8-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Iggy is my prediction for Finals MVP.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What is up with Frye. Has he played this second half?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:What is up with Frye. Has he played this second half?
I haven't seen him.

I did see this...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, Kerr showing some Miller intensity
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Totally worthless trivia statistic category that probably nobody has ever bothered to track, but just in case, has there ever been a finals series with so many players and coaches hailing from one school before? Maybe in the years after Wooden's UCLA dynasty? Maybe a trail off Michigan State or Kentucky?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

To add, has anybody else pointed this out besides former Arizona fans? Just curious if we're yelling in the dark about what ESPN would prefer to keep as the LeBron Show?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:Iggy is my prediction for Finals MVP.
Iggy smartest player on the court. Always in the right place...and makes something happen. Steals last night right on time. 8-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote:Totally worthless trivia statistic category that probably nobody has ever bothered to track, but just in case, has there ever been a finals series with so many players and coaches hailing from one school before? Maybe in the years after Wooden's UCLA dynasty? Maybe a trail off Michigan State or Kentucky?
I don't know about players and coaches, but the '91 Finals featured four players from UNC, two on each side (Michael Jordan, Scott Williams, James Worthy, & Sam Perkins).
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Iggy on Dela's low blow

everyone probed him on Dellavedova.

"I respect a lot of guys' hustles in this league," Iguodala said. "We have got guys who have to get a little dirty and physical to make a life to feed their family. For me, it's about keeping my composure.

"There are times for me to get fired up, and the situation that happened got me fired up."

For now, Golden State takes solace in its star backcourt missing 19-of-27 shot attempts, a reserve unit thriving and an enraged and infused Iguodala.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/warri ... 47013.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Iggy is my prediction for Finals MVP.
Was thinking the same last night.

And yea, thought the nut punch on Iggy was extremely obvious. But bitter ass Mark Jackson kept insisting it was just a foul (of course). That dude is sooooooo salty :lol: I want GSW to keep winning titles just to troll his bitter ass
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hes gonna have to beat out Livingston...