2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco, I don't tend to agree with you, but it's a reasonable, logical position I can respect.

I think part of it may just be a philosophical difference. One reason I like man is that an opponent can't scheme around an excellent man team. Beating zone is more about scheme and execution. If you can do that, beating a zone is straightforward. Man, if you face a truly excellent defensive team, you have to make tough plays and shots all night or you lose. There isn't a scheme that truly hurts a great man team, and I think we saw that in 13-14 and 14-15.

I love things like wearing people down. I see next year as one where we can break people with our athleticism and depth. If our newcomers are ready to defend, we have waves of athletic guys to defend with and give them pressure and difficulty that just doesn't stop. As long as we sub every 4-5 minutes like clockwork and never try to ride a hot hand.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I personally think it's just a case of that being an option. Play Arizona defense or dont play. You give them a 10 percent crutch, that you actually have to practice and use in games, they know it's there and may psychologically think, "well, if we don't bust our butts in this man thing and do the job, we have been practicing this zone too, and 10 percent can go to 20 or 30 or 40 percent." In addition, having to learn a second defense eats away at valuable practice and game minutes. Our past teams have shown the packline works and can have us a top 3 defense in the country with the right guys and the right buy-in. I'd much rather spend the X amount of hours in practice (especially early in the season) it takes to work on that zone on getting better at my bread and butter. Same thing with game situations. In the grand scheme of things, you are shaving a month off your regular season thinking defensively. Say 1/5 of the time u play zone, so instead of being March ready w your man2man in March, you are February ready in March. Challenge them to be elite at one thing and push them til they get there, rather than being very good at one thing and having a mediocre second tool in their back pocket. All this aside from what I see as the reason why man to man is a much better defense.

If I am going to be spending any time on a look on defense that is a change up from get back on d and play the pack line, it's employing some form of pressure that will take advantage of our depth and our athletes and change things up, keep teams off balance, and surprise them and lead to turnovers and easy baskets.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So as the dust begins to settle from the recruiting trail and transfers, and our roster seems locked in, I'm wondering if we are legitimately two deep at every position next season:

1 -- KS, KA, PJC
2 -- AT, TF, RA
3 -- TF, RS
4 -- CC, LM, RS
5 -- DR, CC

Is this pretty close? I suppose it's hard to place guys into these lines because a lot of these guys can play multiple positions.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Keanu Pinder will also be a direct option if Miller decides to go big.

PG: Simmons/Kadeem/Cartwright
SG: Trier/Ferguson/Kadeem/Alkins
SF: Ferguson/Alkins/Ray Smith/Pinder
PF: Smith/Markkanen/Comanche/Pinder
C: Ristic/Markkanen/Comanche
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah Pinder won't be a starter but he'll likely be above pjc and the grad transfer guy on the rotation. Maybe a 8-10 minutes a game kinda guy.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pinder gives us some nice depth. So barring something unexpected, it look like we're indeed two deep at every position, perhaps even three deep, in the sense that we're pretty even across the board. No glaring weaknesses.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

'Arizona Warriors' could play Golden State's style
When some folks jokingly refer to the defending NBA champs as the “Golden State Wildcats,” it’s a simple reference to the four former Arizona players on their coaching and playing rosters.

But the connection could take on a more physical resemblance next season, with the way Golden State’s “cousins” in Tucson might start playing.

A more fluid, versatile rotation could even qualify them as ... the Arizona Warriors.

UA coach Sean Miller has so many talented, similarly sized players coming in with his 2016-17 team that he says he’s thinking about playing the kind of “positionless” scheme that the Warriors are known for.

Like putting 6-foot-5-inch Allonzo Trier, 6-6 Kobi Simmons, 6-7 Terrance Ferguson and rugged 6-4 Rawle Alkins on the floor at the same time, perhaps with 7-footer Dusan Ristic in the middle — or maybe, in some extremes, with no center at all.

“Everybody likes to use the analogy of the Golden State Warriors,” Miller said. “Like Draymond Green: What position is he? Shaun Livingston? Andre (Iguodala)?

“If you think about it, that’s kind of the team that we’re building for next year. We have a lot of versatile guards and wings, and being able to play the style that fits them best is important.”

The plan could extend into the future, too. Sophomore transfer Dylan Smith, who won’t be eligible until 2017-18 after transferring from UNC Asheville, was the leading scorer last season on an NCAA tournament team that often played five players together who were all between 6-4 and 6-6.

“In my last school, we played a lot of positionless basketball, and coach Miller saw that,” Smith said. “He told me I could do that (at UA) because I can dribble, pass and shoot. It’s a blessing to be here.”

Moving to such a style might be fitting in that the Warriors picked up the “Golden State Wildcats” nickname in the first place because Iguodala and coaches Steve Kerr, Luke Walton and Bruce Fraser all played for Arizona.

But the move would be a shift for Miller. Over his seven seasons at UA, Miller has flashed some different looks by deploying forwards who could operate inside or outside, and by using point guards both scoring-minded (Nic Wise, MoMo Jones, Mark Lyons) and traditional (T.J. McConnell, Parker Jackson-Cartwright).

How it could change next season starts at the point, and spreads all the way down. Not only does Miller have a load of talented wings, but also a veteran true point guard (Jackson-Cartwright), a scoring-minded point guard (Kobi Simmons), a combo guard (Kadeem Allen), and a few other guys who can make plays.

“I think you have a collection of guards, a collection of wings and one low-post player,” Miller said. “That doesn’t mean two low-post players can’t play together like Chance (Comanche) and Dusan, but you have to adapt to the personnel you have. When you look at our personnel, we have very versatile wings and guards.”

You also have to adapt, Miller said, to changes in the game. Just three years ago, UA forward Solomon Hill was expected to slide into the second round of the NBA draft because of questions that surrounded his ability to play small forward.

At 6-7 and 220 pounds, Hill was also considered too small to play power forward, where he often excelled for the Wildcats. But he became a surprise first-round pick, and this season, excelled as a power forward when Indiana went with a small-ball look.

Basically, Hill fit into the modern NBA game just fine.

“I went to an Indiana Pacer and Toronto Raptor game, and I got such a kick out of watching Solomon, who’s developed into a really good NBA player at the four,” Miller said. “I can remember when he was playing with us that we played him a lot at the four, but (I wondered) if that was fair to him, because a lot of what (scouts) were looking at was if he could be a three or a two. But the game has changed.”

Now the Wildcats might change, too.

“In today’s landscape of what we do, each year represents change and being able to adapt,” Miller said. “That doesn’t mean everything’s gonna be different, but all of us are in charge of putting our best team on the court.

“And if the best team is more about guards and wings, then you have to be able to do that.”
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 1c1bb.html" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. That's an exciting article.

Is it Nov yet?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Me thinks Miller played close attention to how a team like Nova was constructed and realized small ball can thrive at all levels. Nova only had one low post scoring option, albeit a very good one.

Now the problem is getting guys like Archy, and Ochefu and co to stay for a few years.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

For Spiff and Deuce: sorry guys, missed this thread for the past couple weeks.

Spiff, I like man as our base defense no doubt. I like wearing other teams down through talent and depth. But that doesn't necessarily work against the other elite teams. That's where options come in, and I like the idea of having another option. Another look that the other team has to prepare for. It doesn't necessairly have to be zone, and for the reasons you mention it's probably better off not being a zone. Which leads me to...

Deuce, great point. Play packline 90% of the time and mix it up with pressure man-to-man. That wouldn't be so different from packline so would probably take less resource to implement than a zone, would probably be more fun for the players, and would not be a crutch for weak defenders. Would be a better option than zone for a smaller lineup like we'll probably have for the next few years. Easy to still brand that style of defense 'Arizona Defense' and throws a different look at the other team to break up a run or to actually use for effect in certain circumstances. I like it.

That all said, I'm not buying the 'March ready' argument. Packline defense ain't rocket science. 2014 and 2015's teams were March ready in January, and 2016's team never was March ready. That had nothing to do with practice time dedicated to defense and everything to do with the talent level and personality of the teams. Taking an hour or two per week to add in an extra wrinkle should not negatively impact the execution of your base defense by March.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco, I think zone's usefulness, especially if it is not your primary defense, is against a talented team without coaching or discipline. Beating a zone is so much more about scheme and execution than it is about individual skill.

If you're getting torched off the dribble and your players simply cannot hang man to man, zone may be an option. It camouflages individual deficiencies, and that can be a benefit. That said, I'm not sure it helps you with all top teams. A smart team that can shoot the ball is going to kill a zone.

I side with Miller in that I think it's an option when man fails you. We had to start using zone this year because man wasn't working out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Personally I love having a wrinkle of a 1-3-1 zone in our back pocket a la Lute. It's by far my favorite zone to just throw off your opponents. Next year we shouldn't need it at all though.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

People always underestimate the value of experience in Miller's system. PJC will be getting significant minutes to start the season. If others want to knock him off it will happen from game performance not summer practice
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

baconus66 wrote:People always underestimate the value of experience in Miller's system. PJC will be getting significant minutes to start the season. If others want to knock him off it will happen from game performance not summer practice
Bacon, I think that is how Miller has operated in the past for sure. I think PJC's summer will determine a lot of that. He has got to be THE leader. If he does not take that role on all summer, I don't see him being given much (if any) preferential early minutes.

The only player that is a lock for 30 minutes a game is Trier. I am guessing Smiths minutes will be immediate and plentiful.

Everything else seems completely up for grabs. In a good way in my opinion.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baconus66 wrote:People always underestimate the value of experience in Miller's system. PJC will be getting significant minutes to start the season. If others want to knock him off it will happen from game performance not summer practice
I cannot say I'm that optimistic about that.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The game @Oregon will be crazy next year. Would be one of the best resume wins we could get.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Both Brooks and Dorsey drop out of the draft and will return to Oregon?

Wow, that must be a nice feeling. Both coming back...sure, why not.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:
Is Oregon is getting similar treatment to what we got in the preseason polls from Cal last year?

Kinda looks like it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, Oregon is going to be a problem again. Utah will take a dive, but the conference is going to be even better next year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Red Blue game Friday October 14. Of course ASUHATER was wrong yet again.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Playing U$C in football at home the next day. Great UA sports weekend.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Are ticket prices going up? If not 9am should be madness
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... 5-and-one/" target="_blank

Is Oregon really that good?? Didn't they lose two key pieces? Not sure about their incoming players.

And if UCLA is the #12 team in the nation, that would be fairly surprising. They're still coached by Alford, right?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Main Event wrote:Are ticket prices going up?
yep
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... 5-and-one/

Is Oregon really that good?? Didn't they lose two key pieces? Not sure about their incoming players.

And if UCLA is the #12 team in the nation, that would be fairly surprising. They're still coached by Alford, right?
They lost Cook and Benjamin, 2nd and 6th leading scorers. Losing Cook isnt that huge when you already have Dorsey and Brooks as wings. Benjamin was an athletic and versatile piece of the bench. Enis will be playing.

Starting lineup of Boucher, Bell, Brooks, Dorsey and Enis(?), with Benson(?) first off the bench. Quite a bit of talk about that Payton Pritchard kid they have coming in being tremendously underrated too. We are more talented but that is still a very tough team and Altman will get the most out of them, as always.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Big man is on campus!

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I hope Lauri has a big year!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Is Arizona really that good?? Didn't they lose two key pieces? Not sure about our incoming players.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RichardCranium wrote:
Is Arizona really that good?? Didn't they lose two key pieces? Not sure about our incoming players.
Yes, we lost two key pieces, but our reload is arguably superior to Oregon's. I think our new team can match Oregon's quickness and offensive versatility, which we struggled to do last season. Oregon is a legit top 10-15 team, as are we.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
Yes, we lost two key pieces, but our reload is arguably superior to Oregon's. I think our new team can match Oregon's quickness and offensive versatility, which we struggled to do last season. Oregon is a legit top 10-15 team, as are we.

BC,

Boivin asking a similar question.

Paola Boivin, azcentral sports 6:59 p.m. MST May 27, 2016

One of the intriguing traits of the lineup is that it can be so mix-and-match.

“None of these guys are relegated to only playing one position,” Miller said. “We have to be more flexible as coaches so that the system we have allows it to happen.

“We have to be able to have four perimeter players and one big on the court, no bigs, two forwards, three perimeter players. It is all going to come down to who is ready and who performs the best.”

It might be a headache sorting out the right combinations at first. But that will also mean nightmare matchup problems for opponents.

It will be entertaining to watch how this team unfolds following a crazy offseason.

“There is an excitement,” Miller said. “And with that excitement, there is some anxiousness.

“Rest assured, we’re not the only program facing this challenge. Some of the teams that will end up in Phoenix in a Final Four are at that same stage right now.”

Could Arizona be one of them?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /85062972/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just based on our roster and Miller's track record of tourney success, we are absolutely in the mix for a FF in '17.

Pac race should be fun. UW will be better. Not sure about Utah, Colorado, USC, OSU, and Cal. All lost key players and aren't reloading as impressively as AZ. UCLA also has a nice freshman class, but so far, Alford's loyalty to his son has held back that team. Stanford? WSU? ASU? Not sure.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Washington lost their three best players dude. Andrews, Murray and Chriss.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Arizona
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Washington lost their three best players dude. Andrews, Murray and Chriss.
But they're getting one of the nation's best PGs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Arizona
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE
Not sure about USC. They're losing a ton.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE
No argument. Just wondering who you have above them...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE
If pressed to rank the Pac now, before we know about injuries, eligibility, etc...

1. AZ
2. OR
3. UCLA (not even Alford can mess up this team, right? Right??)
4. Utah (they lose a lot, but I'm starting to become a believer in the other Coach K's system)
5. Cal (I think they and Utah are solidly in the 4/5 slots, just not sure who finishes higher)
6. Colorado
7. UW (CU and UW are solidly one level beneath Utah/Cal, but again, not sure who's better)

8-12...no idea. Stanford has a new coach. USC loses their key players. I don't think much of Hurley at ASU. OSU loses their best player. And I'm not sure what WSU has in the cupboard.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE
If pressed to rank the Pac now, before we know about injuries, eligibility, etc...

1. AZ
2. OR
4. Utah (they lose a lot, but I'm starting to become a believer in the other Coach K's system)
5. Cal (I think they and Utah are solidly in the 4/5 slots, just not sure who finishes higher)
6. Colorado
7. UW (CU and UW are solidly one level beneath Utah/Cal, but again, not sure who's better)

8-12...no idea. Stanford has a new coach. USC loses their key players. I don't think much of Hurley at ASU. OSU loses their best player. And I'm not sure what WSU has in the cupboard.
USC loses Reinhardt. That is it. Everyone else is back, and they picked up Shaqquan Aaron, who transferred from Louisville.

I'd rank them third or fourth. Tourney team.

Ducks (more experience)
Cats (more unknowns)
SC
UCLA
Last edited by gumby on Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

nm
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
USC

EVERYONE ELSE

1. AZ
2. OR
6. Colorado

USC loses Reinhardt. That is it. Everyone else is back, and they picked up Shaqquan Aaron, who transferred from Louisville.

I'd rank them third or fourth. Tourney team.

Ducks (more experience)
Cats (more unknowns)
SC
UCLA

I'm pretty sure Jacobs declared for the draft which is a big loss for SC
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Elijah Stewart should replace Jacobs production. I'm with G, I like SC more than UCLA next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

USC also lost Nikola Jovanovic. In total they lost 3 of their top 5 scorers. Also I don't expect Stewart to make up for Jacobs's contribution. Jacobs was their primary point guard last year. Stewart isn't going to be anything resembling that.

They'll be a good team, but don't know if they're a tourney team like they would have been with Jacobs and Jovanovic back.
gumby

Post by gumby »

OK, I was relying on an April article (always check the date). I think they're still upper tier. Boatright could be a star and Metu is pretty beastly. That was a good class. Jacobs, however, is a big loss.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Just saw where Matthews decided to become a grad transfer. Strike Cal from my upper tier Pac list. Whoever end up with him is getting a great player late in the recruiting season!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Just saw where Matthews decided to become a grad transfer. Strike Cal from my upper tier Pac list. Whoever end up with him is getting a great player late in the recruiting season!
But Rabb is back, and he's a very good player. Cal loses key pieces, but I think they're still solidly in the middle of the Pac. Somewhere between 5th and 8th.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Everyone get Red Blue tickets? I lucked out and got 10 tickets in row 5 and 6 mid court
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

It kept sending me to section C and D online but finally managed to get into section A after about 15 attempts lol I'm excited
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Going to be gone soon