let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

legallykenny wrote:
Chicat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Chicat wrote:I like what's happening here.
Why? I'm not really seeing the logic. But then I guess I think much less of JUCOs and transfers than some others might.
Because we're gaining depth without hurting chemistry.
How do you know these guys won't be chemistry problems?
Only Bo knows, but I seriously doubt that our latest additions were sold on anything other than likely being bench guys who get some exposure at a high profile school. Pinder's not a guy with a dominant profile. Yes, there's always a chance he has an outsized idea of himself, but nothing about the recruitment suggests anything other than him being a depth addition.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Updated Scout rankings:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... -prospects" target="_blank
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

McCoy, please
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball recruiting: Billy Preston, Ira Lee top Wildcats' list of 2017 recruiting targets

@UofAlec on Jun 14, 2016, 4:05p +

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -2017-list" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Arizona basketball recruiting: Billy Preston, Ira Lee top Wildcats' list of 2017 recruiting targets

@UofAlec on Jun 14, 2016, 4:05p +

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -2017-list" target="_blank
Billy Preston went to API just like Ferguson. What could go wrong?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thornton to USC
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Thornton to USC
Is Thornton in the class of '17?
Zero

Post by Zero »

He is a transfer from Duke and will play in 2017.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Jefe wrote:Thornton to USC
I dislike PJC even more now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alex Barcello definitely seems to be a name we need to be paying much more attention to in this thread. Staff was literally at every one of his games in Vegas it sounded like.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Sounds like he and Ira Lee could be the first 2 members of this class
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:Sounds like he and Ira Lee could be the first 2 members of this class
Not exactly the kind of class Miller's been putting together the last few seasons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Main Event wrote:Sounds like he and Ira Lee could be the first 2 members of this class
Not exactly the kind of class Miller's been putting together the last few seasons.
Time to fire Miller then I guess.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No, but maybe time to target some guys rated higher?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:No, but maybe time to target some guys rated higher?
They have.

You prioritize those you can actually land.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Do you remember what our '16 class looked like at this point last year? Were you able to judge it "Miller-worthy"?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:No, but maybe time to target some guys rated higher?
I'd assume Miller has considered this idea. If not, we should drive over to his house and camp out front with signs that say it.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

To be honest, I wouldn't mind signing a couple of solid 4*'s who will hang around for four years.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Do you remember what our '16 class looked like at this point last year? Were you able to judge it "Miller-worthy"?
We all remember. But for the past two years we've failed to land our top target (Rabb, JJ). We seem to be trending downward at the moment. And of course not getting TF hurts.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
We all remember. But for the past two years we've failed to land our top target (Rabb, JJ). We seem to be trending downward at the moment. And of course not getting TF hurts.
We are trending downward? Do you even listen to yourself?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote: Not exactly the kind of class Miller's been putting together the last few seasons.
Do you remember what our '16 class looked like at this point last year? Were you able to judge it "Miller-worthy"?[/quote]

We all remember. But for the past two years we've failed to land our top target (Rabb, JJ). We seem to be trending downward at the moment. And of course not getting TF hurts.[/quote]

You realize you can say this for pretty much everyone not named Kentucky or Duke (the last few years). Rabb stayed home (and who else knows what was going on). JJ spoke more highly of Miller than any of the other coaches and there appears to be strong evidence that says his decision was based on other outside "factors." Miller swung for the fences with JJ and was there until the very end. He was a prize that is not seen in every class and everyone wanted him. Had he had different people around him, maybe he's a Wildcat.

Losing TF doesn't hurt. I thought very highly of him, but he would have been a luxury on a crowded corp of wings, not a necessity. He left here after Miller had him. That has no bearing on Miller and actually works in Miller's favor if you are looking at trends. At the end of the day, Miller pulled the 3rd best class in the country and that was after what everyone called a slow start and losing Leaf to factors beyond Miller's control. Miller is still one of the top 5 recruiters in the country, we are still one of the 5 best programs for recruiting and we are still one of the top 5 "It" programs right now. Duke and Kentucky are doing what they want right now, so that is saying quite a bit for us. Coach K and Calipari aren't going to be around forever; who do you think is EASILY going to jump into the top 3 when they are gone? Depending how things shake out, Miller will probably replace one of them down the road.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So you remember we had one committed guy in TJ Leaf who in a couple of weeks was about to decommit?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If landing only 3 five star players this year is a downwards trend, we may continue trending downwards for a bit.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're still gonna land another top 10 class that'll more than likely feature another top 10 player in it. Really only an issue if we suffer a mass exodus to the draft which could happen never know
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
See, this is the kind of thinking, in the age of Internet forums and social media, that sows intolerance of necessary blue-collar, four-year players in Top 10 programs. No other program can be Kentucky, or should try.

Sure, every national championship contender needs its star. Perhaps two. But it also needs the four-year glue, hustle three- to four-star guys just as much, if not more.

Anyone who judges a class simply by the stars next to our commits' names wouldn't have stuck with Lute past the Tucson Skyline. How many five-star kids got Arizona to the Final Four in 1994? I'll wait.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Plus, at this point (pending anyone leaving early) we have five guys rated as 5 stars on our 2017 roster. It isn't like 2017 will necessarily only be a bunch of plucky underdogs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Plus, at this point (pending anyone leaving early) we have five guys rated as 5 stars on our 2017 roster. It isn't like 2017 will necessarily only be a bunch of plucky underdogs.
The roster's looking good for the upcoming season. No question. I was only noting that we've whiffed on our last two top targets (Rabb in '15 and JJ in '16), whereas we actually landed our top targets the previous three years (Tarc/Jerrett/Ashley in '12, AG in '13, and SJ in '14).

It's not always about landing your top guy, but as we've seen, these elite players tend to produce conference titles, tourney runs, and all the stuff we crave. KS and RA were late additions to the '16 class, and it looks like CSM has his backcourt secure for at least the next two seasons. Had we gotten TF as well, we'd be starting the season ranked in the top 5. Even without TF, though, we're probably a top 15 team, which is good. For '17, it'll likely be several months before we know the actual composition of this class. The top 10-15 guys are waiting longer and longer to commit, it seems, and I believe we're involved with McCoy, Knox, Preston, O'Bannon, Brown, and at least a few others. We'll see how it goes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Plus, at this point (pending anyone leaving early) we have five guys rated as 5 stars on our 2017 roster. It isn't like 2017 will necessarily only be a bunch of plucky underdogs.
The roster's looking good for the upcoming season. No question. I was only noting that we've whiffed on our last two top targets (Rabb in '15 and JJ in '16), whereas we actually landed our top targets the previous three years (Tarc/Jerrett/Ashley in '12, AG in '13, and SJ in '14).

It's not always about landing your top guy, but as we've seen, these elite players tend to produce conference titles, tourney runs, and all the stuff we crave. KS and RA were late additions to the '16 class, and it looks like CSM has his backcourt secure for at least the next two seasons. Had we gotten TF as well, we'd be starting the season ranked in the top 5. Even without TF, though, we're probably a top 15 team, which is good. For '17, it'll likely be several months before we know the actual composition of this class. The top 10-15 guys are waiting longer and longer to commit, it seems, and I believe we're involved with McCoy, Knox, Preston, O'Bannon, Brown, and at least a few others. We'll see how it goes.
Our top guy in this class is McCoy. If we strike out on him by all means go ahead and induce panic.

I think an influx of 4 star long term players can only be good for this program going forward. We can't recruit like Duke/Kentucky, so build for a long term run isn't a bad route to go. Mix multiple 4 stars with a one and done here and there and that's a recipe for success.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

One needs to look no farther than last years title team to see what 3 and four year players mean ..... Jenkins , Hart , Archie, Ochefu, Reynolds and co are guys vital to getting where we want to go.

For all of UKs recruiting dominance , only the Brows class cut down the nets.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: We can't recruit like Duke/Kentucky
Maybe not, but we've had a steady run of top 5 classes for a while now, so while we're not getting Okafor and Wall and JJ, we're definitely getting our share of elite talent, certainly more than other Pac programs in recent years.

Miller has shown again and again that he can get guys being courted by UK, KU, and other elite programs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
If Miller doesn't land him, is he on the hot seat?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Chicat wrote:
supposedly Duke leads... but there cannot be another top 10 program that can offer more playing time... we are likely to have only Dylan Smith at the 2/3. Our '17 recruiting looks very odd (caveat to it is early)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Trent our top target in '17? Haven't been doing so well with top targets lately. Granted, Miller always has a contingency plan.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Haven't been doing so well with top targets lately.
Just keep beating that drum...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is Trent our top target in '17? Haven't been doing so well with top targets lately. Granted, Miller always has a contingency plan.
Lol this guy....

Brandon McCoy is our top target for the class. Trent moved from Minnesota to play for Findlay, so we have a better shot than before.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Is Trent our top target in '17? Haven't been doing so well with top targets lately. Granted, Miller always has a contingency plan.
Lol this guy....

Brandon McCoy is our top target for the class. Trent moved from Minnesota to play for Findlay, so we have a better shot than before.
So hopefully we can get McCoy and change our recent luck with top targets.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol this guy....

So hopefully we can get McCoy and change our recent luck with top targets.
Geez, I finally get it. Duh. It's taken all this time.

Beach is a ficty trolling tool of Dev, JMJ, the mods----all those guys who are working us so hits and responses will skyrocket. Putin is behind the whole thing.

Unh, just kidding. I can't follow through with this cheesy post. Not after all the terrific work our sponsor-leaders do for us. Thank you guys!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wish we could still access the old GoAZCats message boards so I could post all of BC's Howland tongue baths.

In those long ago halcyon days UA was the worst, UCLA the best, and BC was known as RiversideBruin. Good times...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

So is 97Cats not coming around anymore to tell us about perfect fits and Arizona being right where they want to be?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:So is 97Cats not coming around anymore to tell us about perfect fits and Arizona being right where they want to be?
Probably not after he missed on Rabb and JJ.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

That is not the reason he doesn't come around very often anymore.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

KaibabKat wrote:That is not the reason he doesn't come around very often anymore.
You should enlighten us.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We are right where we want to be with 97cats
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote:That is not the reason he doesn't come around very often anymore.
He used to be the most in-the-know insider, but it got to be less so recently.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote: We all remember. But for the past two years we've failed to land our top target (Rabb, JJ). We seem to be trending downward at the moment. And of course not getting TF hurts.
Beachcat97 wrote: Maybe not, but we've had a steady run of top 5 classes for a while now, so while we're not getting Okafor and Wall and JJ, we're definitely getting our share of elite talent, certainly more than other Pac programs in recent years.

Miller has shown again and again that he can get guys being courted by UK, KU, and other elite programs.
Forget your meds again?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
It might be better if you didn't comment on things you know nothing about, but then again that would likely cause you to never post again...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
So a dude who has a proven track record is at fault because two kids, who were both influenced by things beyond Miller's and Arizona Basketball's control, made decisions at the last minute that were not Arizona? You saw what JJ said about CSM up til the end based on everything he said (and we obsessed over his interviews), substantively, Arizona looked like the school he adored most. 97 never said anything outside of perfect fit, which certainly was not incorrect. It made perfect sense for both parties.

If you think the Rabb thing was on the up and up, you're crazy. Cuonzo swoops in outta nowhere and steals him from us? Then brings in Brown outta nowhere and then Swanigan gives them a last minute hard look? Sometimes you're gonna lose guys to shady crap, or for shoe company reasons. It is what it is.

97 was making comments on both recruits when their recruitments had boat loads of teams. Arizona ended up in the final 3 for the top recruit and the final 2 for Rabb. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll take 97s word any day. I don't know the circumstances of why he is posting less, but now we got nothing, so maybe that works better for you?