let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Chicat »

Kid's gonna be tough as nails. Welcome to the family!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It's gotta help with MBIII right
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3goggles wrote:It's gotta help with MBIII right
Hopefully :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:It's gotta help with MBIII right
What if I told you it absolutely will have the opposite effect that you're hoping for and I wasn't joking?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Shocked. I mean, it was in the air lately, but I have seen this kid play since he was in Kindergarten and did not think he would come here just based on his family (not UA fans) and some of the early traction other programs had.

Just proves getting to play for the best outweighs family cheering histories.

And, yeah...there is no relationship to speak of between Barcello and Bagley. And the more I hear about senior Bagley, the more I wonder if we want that headache for one year. It doesn't hurt or help. The other way would have been different, but Bagley will go where he wants to, or where dad wants him to, and Barcello won't have any impact.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

as for the player, Alex continues to show he is a gamer. I kept expecting him to hit the wall and level out from his early ratings. He is a smart kid and a very smart player and with good talent he was able to kick ass was in younger years. But I expected him to fade, and his rating did a bit. But he absolutely has killed and proven to be a big time talent as well as a smart, level headed player. I didn't think I wanted him until the last year. We will be happy with him
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is he a PG? Or is he more of a York?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

There is no evidence of note that suggests any Bagley is worth investing anything into.

Senior wants a job
Junior wants to get paid
Sibling wants to coattail

Europe. China. Australia.

If he plays college it will be at Duke of Kentucky.

Wash your hands of the big fella.

I'm not as connected as some, but I know enough to know I wouldn't bother and I almost don't give two shits.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Alex is a true point who can shoot. Will be the smartest player on the court no matter who else is there. Hoops IQ and smarts. And ice water in the veins
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

EVCat wrote:Alex is a true point who can shoot. Will be the smartest player on the court no matter who else is there. Hoops IQ and smarts. And ice water in the veins
Classic description of all white point guards.

What are his actual strengths?
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Chicat wrote:Wish we could still access the old GoAZCats message boards so I could post all of BC's Howland tongue baths.

In those long ago halcyon days UA was the worst, UCLA the best, and BC was known as RiversideBruin. Good times...

Is the bolded part true? I know the rumors of BC being a closet UCLA fan have been around for 10 years now but he actually used to use a Bruin handle?? Wow.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Came in to this thread to welcome Alex aboard though. Heard great things. Bear Down Borcello!

Cheers,

BDV
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Chicat wrote:Wish we could still access the old GoAZCats message boards so I could post all of BC's Howland tongue baths.

In those long ago halcyon days UA was the worst, UCLA the best, and BC was known as RiversideBruin. Good times...

Is the bolded part true? I know the rumors of BC being a closet UCLA fan have been around for 10 years now but he actually used to use a Bruin handle?? Wow.
No, that was our little nickname for him. Coined by TheGoat I believe after a particularly sad post where BC let everyone know that UCLA would reign supreme for all eternity.
luteformayor2 wrote:
EVCat wrote:Alex is a true point who can shoot. Will be the smartest player on the court no matter who else is there. Hoops IQ and smarts. And ice water in the veins

Dancing
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Well done Alex! Welcome to the fam. TJ is your blueprint to the NBA..
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Main Event wrote:

Another top notch commit eh. Pretty cool..Bear Down kid, looking forward to seeing him play. 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:No, that was our little nickname for him. Coined by TheGoat I believe after a particularly sad post where BC let everyone know that UCLA would reign supreme for all eternity.
Chicat: the board historian, with a special interest in my activity history. Oy vey.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:

I think they are listed. Ball handling. Shooting. Running a true point. Not easily rattled...think Bibby as a freshman

I get the easy snarky comment, but it was more easy than appropriate.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If he's as good as everyone's saying he is, why isn't he rated higher?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
I get the easy snarky comment, but it was more easy than appropriate.
Seriously.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:If he's as good as everyone's saying he is, why isn't he rated higher?
Isn't everyone basically saying he's a multi-year player?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If he's as good as everyone's saying he is, why isn't he rated higher?
Right, which could also mean that he's not going to start until he's a junior, which is fine, but I can't remember the last time we were this excited about a lower-level recruit. It's also possible that guards are a lower priority in the '17 class considering that we should have PJC, RA, and KS on the roster next season. We need bigs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Right, which could also mean that he's not going to start until he's a junior, which is fine, but I can't remember the last time we were this excited about a lower-level recruit. It's also possible that guards are a lower priority in the '17 class considering that we should have PJC, RA, and KS on the roster next season. We need bigs.
But he isn't a lower-level recruit. He's a four-star recruit. I think he's something like the number 2 ranked point guard in his class on the west coast. I remember we were pretty stoked about PJC, another 4-star, #2 west coast pg, but the fact that he didn't pan out only goes to show that scouting for rankings isn't an exact science, especially with players who don't fit the mold (short in PJC's case). So why not be excited about a four-star point guard without red flags? Even McDonalds All-Americans are four-stars. This really is a Lute-level recruit, which turned out better than a lot of the five-star recruits during Lute's time and during recent times for many programs.

I mean....

http://www.scout.com/player/144100-ryan-arcidiacono" target="_blank
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I have visions of this kid getting preseason AA hype as an upperclassman.

Hope he develops well. Archi, McConnell, ridnour, etc all were rated low cuz they couldn't take off from the foul line and cram on someone in a BallIsLife YouTube video.

F that. Give me these kids all day. I personally think we should be mixing 2 of these kids that will stay 4 years in with 2-3 top 25 kids every year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I don't think anyone is necessarily doing back flips about this commitment like you're insinuating, but he's a very nice piece to have. He's the type of guy Arizona often passes on, whom goes to another Pac-12 school, and goes off against us. He's a very hard worker on both ends and his shot isn't a work in progress. Just a very solid pick up for a program who needs more 4 year players that actually buy in as opposed to transferring out in a semester.

We need wings more than we need bigs IMO.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Shooting guard? hmmm..

6-2, 175 | Class of 2017

HometownPhoenix, Ariz.
SchoolCorona Del Sol High School
PositionShooting Guard
Status Committed Arizona 08/26/2016

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... /id/198175" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:Shooting guard? hmmm..

6-2, 175 | Class of 2017

HometownPhoenix, Ariz.
SchoolCorona Del Sol High School
PositionShooting Guard
Status Committed Arizona 08/26/2016

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... /id/198175" target="_blank
Well at least ESPN is showing him as a guard now, the day he committed they listed him as a small forward. He's a combo guard HiCat.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:No, that was our little nickname for him. Coined by TheGoat I believe after a particularly sad post where BC let everyone know that UCLA would reign supreme for all eternity.
Chicat: the board historian, with a special interest in my activity history. Oy vey.
So I can't help but notice that this isn't a refutation of what I said...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So I can't help but notice that this isn't a refutation of what I said...
Wasn't intended to be. Cool that you noticed. I'm more interested in the thread topic than going down this road with you. You can go alone.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Is Trent our top target in '17? Haven't been doing so well with top targets lately. Granted, Miller always has a contingency plan.
Lol this guy....

Brandon McCoy is our top target for the class. Trent moved from Minnesota to play for Findlay, so we have a better shot than before.
Going to play with Ira Lee...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Going to play with Ira Lee...
Don't think Lee is gonna be with Prolific Prep this year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Like the Barcello signing a lot. A bunch of people were praising Casey Benson in one of the other threads, asking why we don't guy after guys like that. Well here you go, scouts grade him about 16 points higher than Benson; he has a better skill set. Think he's gonna be a solid bench guy and a damn good player come years 3 and 4.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:I have visions of this kid getting preseason AA hype as an upperclassman.

Hope he develops well. Archi, McConnell, ridnour, etc all were rated low cuz they couldn't take off from the foul line and cram on someone in a BallIsLife YouTube video.

F that. Give me these kids all day. I personally think we should be mixing 2 of these kids that will stay 4 years in with 2-3 top 25 kids every year.
We haven't had issues recruiting those non-early entry types. CC/DR/KP/KA/PJC are all in that class from just this year's roster. Retaining them (Simon, Victor) has been the only issue.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Luke Ridnour was a McDonald's AA.

Barcello's rating means this won't be a short stay. Means the team can benefit from him as an upperclassmen, which is hard to do if he's already left.

Probably comes up short -- and always will -- with defensive quickness, but sure love seeing that he's automatic when open and is smart with the ball.

Will he ever go League? Not my problem. :)
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

No, that was our little nickname for him. Coined by TheGoat I believe after a particularly sad post where BC let everyone know that UCLA would reign supreme for all eternity.
luteformayor2 wrote:

Dancing
:lol:
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

A huge recruit of need. First four-year starting PG in the Miller era (crosses fingers). He can grow with the rest of the classes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote: First four-year starting PG in the Miller era (crosses fingers). He can grow with the rest of the classes.
If he's good enough to play big minutes at PG, whether in 2017 or later, it's a great pick-up. Stability at that position seems to get rarer and rarer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:A huge recruit of need. First four-year starting PG in the Miller era (crosses fingers). He can grow with the rest of the classes.
You never know, but I doubt he'll be a starter as a freshman.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:A huge recruit of need. First four-year starting PG in the Miller era (crosses fingers). He can grow with the rest of the classes.
Not if KS can play PG.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Not if KS can play PG.
KS may not be here next year, but I still agree with Chi.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Not if KS can play PG.
KS may not be here next year, but I still agree with Chi.
I doubt KS is one and done; if he is, we're looking at PJC at the PG spot in '17 or a yet to commit freshman.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:Will he ever go League? Not my problem. :)
If he's not going to be regularly featured in 'Freshman Focus' I don't even want to talk about him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Upperclassmen? Pussification of America!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He's a 4 star who has been rated higher then slipped some because he is not super tall. Then he went to play summer with the Soldiers and tore it up, and everyone came on to him.

What is wrong with a 4 star PG? Do we have to stick to only top 30 players as rated by Rivals? Can't recruit to need? I mean, Duke, Virginia, Stanford...all in on him.

He isn't an NBA one-and-done type player. But you can be a very, very good college player without possessing the body needed at the NBA level.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
He's a 4 star who has been rated higher then slipped some because he is not super tall. Then he went to play summer with the Soldiers and tore it up, and everyone came on to him.

What is wrong with a 4 star PG? Do we have to stick to only top 30 players as rated by Rivals? Can't recruit to need? I mean, Duke, Virginia, Stanford...all in on him.

He isn't an NBA one-and-done type player. But you can be a very, very good college player without possessing the body needed at the NBA level.
A lot of a high rating is physical measurables. Barcello doesn't stand out as super quick, a high riser or physically imposing.

EV is dead on that those physical measurables do not correspond to success level. They can (see Aaron Gordon or Rondae) or not (Cheick Diallo). Especially at PG, being intelligent, playing hard and being a great shooter really helps. Barcello is smallish, but not PJC like, where it's a constant issue.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alright, I'm convinced. Barcello is a great pick up. Let's surround him with some elite wings and hopefully an excellent PF.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So UT and UNC get emojis, but UK and UA only get colors? Not reading all that much into it though.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My guess is he's UK or KU bound, but who knows?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Definitely has the fundamentals down. That stutter/hesitation dribble behind his back is killer

TJ ever dunk in HS?

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Really like Alex's mid-range game. That will be available at UA from the get-go - he doesn't rely on his physical prowess to overmatch opponents in HS like so many of or typical recruits do. I think this was York's biggest problem. He became pretty average athletically when he got to Tucson and had trouble adapting. Alex's shot is solid too..reminds me of Steve Nash.