let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The whole point to commit this early if you're a player of his stature is to have one school commit resources into helping you get qualified, so he's doing this the right way if he does intend to play in college. It's absolutely insane that he chose us, but wow if he does end up on campus and is cleared calling this commitment huge is an understatement of the highest order. He's the best prospect in the last decade not named Anthony Davis.
I hope you're right. I have not been convinced about motor from other things, but dude is a legit talent. If this signals a genuine commitment to get into college, he has time to address issues that Ferguson didn't. Hit that summer school.

I don't know why he'd commit now if overseas was the plan. So at least we have that to hope for.
I think he's more lacking a back to the basket game than anything else, although in this modern age of basketball that doesn't bother me much. I think his motor is just fine fwiw.
For what it's worth, here's the article. The tidbit about his motor is near the back.

http://www.campusrush.com/josh-jackson- ... 43946.html" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

With in half an hour of Aytons commitment we received a crystal ball for Troy Brown. Any connections with these two guys. Also seems like Ayton and Billy Preston seem to very close. How many top recruits are looking to team up with Ayton ala Duke with Jahlil Okafor.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

EVCat wrote:Am I allowed to be happy about this or do I have to look to the reaction of other people to decide if I am excited?
Lol, no shit. I guess as a fan base we've been burned and have come up justtt short a few too many times recently. I'm excited as fuck, this is awesome! I'll save the disappointment for when he actually goes overseas.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

3goggles wrote:With in half an hour of Aytons commitment we received a crystal ball for Troy Brown. Any connections with these two guys. Also seems like Ayton and Billy Preston seem to very close. How many top recruits are looking to team up with Ayton ala Duke with Jahlil Okafor.

hmmm, got me thinking

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wasn't Jennings also No. 1?
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jennings #4 composite. ESPN had him #1.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

3goggles wrote:With in half an hour of Aytons commitment we received a crystal ball for Troy Brown. Any connections with these two guys. Also seems like Ayton and Billy Preston seem to very close. How many top recruits are looking to team up with Ayton ala Duke with Jahlil Okafor.
Interesting. He has his five officials lined up in Sept/Oct. Oregon, Bama, G'Town, Kansas, Ohio St. Guess we will see if any of that changes in the near future.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:He used to be the most in-the-know insider, but it got to be less so recently.
:? Our roster is set and its too soon for '17
Left and right, guys are declaring their "favorites," trimming their "lists," etc. So '17 is very much upon us. Most likely, we're not "leading" or likely to get commitments from some of these top 20-ish guys. Miller will get a few, but they probably won't be AG or SJ level talent. We'll see.

And as for 97, I wish him well and pray he's healthy. Lots in life more important than hoops. Or maybe he just feels the discourse level here has sunken so low that he's lost interest.
Beachcat for the win!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Amazing turn of events. Ayton could be a game-changer. Even just having him committed has that magnet-effect of drawing greater interest from elite players in the '17 class.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:He used to be the most in-the-know insider, but it got to be less so recently.
:? Our roster is set and its too soon for '17
Left and right, guys are declaring their "favorites," trimming their "lists," etc. So '17 is very much upon us. Most likely, we're not "leading" or likely to get commitments from some of these top 20-ish guys. Miller will get a few, but they probably won't be AG or SJ level talent. We'll see.

And as for 97, I wish him well and pray he's healthy. Lots in life more important than hoops. Or maybe he just feels the discourse level here has sunken so low that he's lost interest.
Beachcat for the win!
Beachcat97 wrote:We haven't gotten a high level recruit to commit early for a while. Think Leaf was the last one. These guys won't decide until Spring of their senior year, maybe even Summer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Interesting, I heard we pretty much moved on from him as he just wasn't that into us. Ayton is tight with a lot of guys, so it will be interesting to see what guys we were seen as "out of it" with that we'll end up being in it for.

I know that Ayton is tight with Brandon McCoy, PJ Washington, and some other guys we're recruiting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is the earliest we've had a major recruit commit for a while.

I don't think I'm the only one surprised by yesterday's news.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Main Event wrote:TAKE THIS FUCKIN L FUEGS!!!!!!!
:lol:

Congratulations. He's my new Tarczewski. Let's see if Miller crushes the career of another top 10 potential NBA draft pick like he did Tarczewski. ;)
How are the Superstar Careers of Oubre, Alexander and Diallo? I'm sure they are all MVP candidates after getting the Self treatment.
Xavier Henry and Josh Selby are hurt you forgot about them.
I literally did forget about them.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Any guesses??

Arizona Working Hardest for Billy Preston

By

Adam Zagoria

Jul 17, 2015 | 10:21AM

When he was asked if any schools have been working hard than others, Preston did say one in particular has offered and has been showing more interest than anyone else.

"After this year, I think a lot of schools will start to press hard," Preston said. "Arizona is showing a lot of interest,
but besides that, everyone is about the same."

Preston currently has offers from Arizona, Kansas, UConn, SMU, UCLA, Oregon, USC, Arizona State, Baylor and Utah.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... /152986946" target="_blank

8% per 247

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote: 8% per 247

After their Ayton prediction, I would say nothing from nothing leaves nothing.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That's about an accurate predictor of Billy Preston's future as Futurama, where he sounds more like a character from anyway.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Preston isn't really a recruit any longer. Lots of questions surrounding him, and ultimately it seems the press Miller made a year ago has been backed off from, so my guess is USC.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Preston isn't really a recruit any longer. Lots of questions surrounding him, and ultimately it seems the press Miller made a year ago has been backed off from, so my guess is USC.

Okay then...time to move on eh
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Main Event wrote:TAKE THIS FUCKIN L FUEGS!!!!!!!
:lol:

Congratulations. He's my new Tarczewski. Let's see if Miller crushes the career of another top 10 potential NBA draft pick like he did Tarczewski. ;)
How are the Superstar Careers of Oubre, Alexander and Diallo? I'm sure they are all MVP candidates after getting the Self treatment.
Xavier Henry and Josh Selby are hurt you forgot about them.
I literally did forget about them.
Kansas has that effect on some top 5 recruits.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Preston the kind of player who will dominate from day one? Haven't watched him yet.
gumby

Post by gumby »

JMarkJohns wrote:Preston isn't really a recruit any longer. Lots of questions surrounding him, and ultimately it seems the press Miller made a year ago has been backed off from, so my guess is USC.
Plus, we're Outta Space.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

We appear to still be in the running for a number of highly ranked point guards:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/ ... 86722.html" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:We appear to still be in the running for a number of highly ranked point guards:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/ ... 86722.html" target="_blank
Feeling more confident we'll get one of these guys, after the Ayton commit. '17 could be Miller's best class at AZ.

If we add Duval...wow. He'd join a backcourt that already has RA and KS.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I wouldn't focus my attention on PGs in 2017.

2018?

Now we might be talking.

Center, Combofoward or Stretch 4, and Wing are priorities.

Simmons, PJC, DSmith, Barcello and maybe Alkins. Lotta guards already.

Maybe if Sexton can be swayed. Other than that, I'd focus on:

McCoy, Lee, and whatever scoring wing wants to join.

True SF is without a doubt the biggest need as far as depth.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

HiCat wrote:
The academic issue at Hillcrest centered around the academic program provided by StarShine Academy, which was not certified by the NCAA. Hillcrest switched to a program (Arizona Connections) certified by the NCAA, which should help Ayton’s case should there be any questions with the NCAA Clearinghouse.[/u] In an April interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal Ayton denied there being any concern about his academics, saying “I’m NCAA eligible, so I don’t know what’s the problem.”

Semi-side issue: WTF is the NCAA doing 'certifying' schools. There is a perfectly good organization called Advance-ED that accredits schools in the United States (and even internationally). If a school is properly accredited by Advance-Ed and is certified by the State to confer diplomas, then there shouldn't be any reason for the NCAA to duplicate that effort and keep kids hanging. If a school is not accredited and is not sufficiently on the path toward gaining that accreditation, then kids should be warned off - again nothing for the NCAA to do except approve kids from accredited schools and reject kids from non-accredited schools - end of story.

Months long 'clearinghouse' bureaucratic bullshit be damned. The NCAA should not be in the accreditation business, there are other organizations that do that as their single reason for existence.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:I wouldn't focus my attention on PGs in 2017.

2018?

Now we might be talking.

If only AT leaves next year, you're right: we have a nice group of guards. But I'm pretty sure we're still after Duval, and now that we've got our crown jewel of the '17 class, it shouldn't surprise anyone to see other top 20 guys commit to AZ in the coming months.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Duval and Preston are recruits in past relationship only.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RichardCranium wrote:
HiCat wrote:
The academic issue at Hillcrest centered around the academic program provided by StarShine Academy, which was not certified by the NCAA. Hillcrest switched to a program (Arizona Connections) certified by the NCAA, which should help Ayton’s case should there be any questions with the NCAA Clearinghouse.[/u] In an April interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal Ayton denied there being any concern about his academics, saying “I’m NCAA eligible, so I don’t know what’s the problem.”

Semi-side issue: WTF is the NCAA doing 'certifying' schools. There is a perfectly good organization called Advance-ED that accredits schools in the United States (and even internationally). If a school is properly accredited by Advance-Ed and is certified by the State to confer diplomas, then there shouldn't be any reason for the NCAA to duplicate that effort and keep kids hanging. If a school is not accredited and is not sufficiently on the path toward gaining that accreditation, then kids should be warned off - again nothing for the NCAA to do except approve kids from accredited schools and reject kids from non-accredited schools - end of story.

Months long 'clearinghouse' bureaucratic bullshit be damned. The NCAA should not be in the accreditation business, there are other organizations that do that as their single reason for existence.

The NCAA certifies because it enables the NCAA to concentrate their own power and control over the process. The NCAA exists in large part because it builds layers of regulations that must be complied with. The purpose isn't because there's necessarily a difference between a NCAA certified course and one that isn't. The purpose is to create an arbitrary distiction that the NCAA can derive power from "enforcing."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I wouldn't focus my attention on PGs in 2017.

2018?

Now we might be talking.

If only AT leaves next year, you're right: we have a nice group of guards. But I'm pretty sure we're still after Duval, and now that we've got our crown jewel of the '17 class, it shouldn't surprise anyone to see other top 20 guys commit to AZ in the coming months.
Only a week ago, we were fast approaching Armageddon, and now we're the leader in the clubhouse for most top 20 recruits.

We could use a pg unless Kobi stays. Barcello is a guy I would feel ok about contributing as a 4th year junior or 5th year senior. Before that point...well, I want another option. Having Kobi is a blessing and a curse. If he stays, we don't need a '17 pg. He leaves, we really do.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Like the looks of Quade Green's game a lot. A very strong distributor who hawks the ball on defense and is a decent scoring threat. He seems exactly like Coach Miller's type as a heady, in-control combo distributor, scorer and D guy.

I think DeAndre and Lauri(If we're lucky to have him in 17) would do cartwheels if we got Quade.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Some are doubting whether KS can play PG. Maybe he's more of a combo? Hasn't worked so well in the past.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Only a week ago, we were fast approaching Armageddon, and now we're the leader in the clubhouse for most top 20 recruits.

We could use a pg unless Kobi stays. Barcello is a guy I would feel ok about contributing as a 4th year junior or 5th year senior. Before that point...well, I want another option. Having Kobi is a blessing and a curse. If he stays, we don't need a '17 pg. He leaves, we really do.
Ain't it funny how that all works? We had a bad year last year, but I think we can say with some strength that last year was a lot more than just a bad PG. We had SERIOUS issues that fractured a team. We also had smaller issues that would fracture a team but were minor compared with the Pitts thing. Most notably, we had one year seniors and there were players in the program that had earned their stripes who didn't much care for "leadership" from guys who have degrees or 120 units from WCC or ACC schools. TJ had 3, and basically was as Wildcat as anyone could ever get. But last year? We did not have the personalities to hold hands. We didn't have a Nick or TJ to pull 4 year part timers and one and dones together, or to have a 4 year senior listen to a 1 year senior. Last year was more than personnel. That team could beat Wichita State talent wise. There are reasons Tolly never became what we hoped, or the ball wasn't in the right hands at the end of games, etc. And while some fingers can be pointed at PJC and KaDeem, there were huge chemistry issues for lots of other reasons. And I am not privy to the info 97Cats has alluded to about PJC and family, but add that to the mix.

Barcello is a guy I think you will see freshman contribution from, sophomore crucial play from, and will lead this team as a junior and senior. Not only is a a high 4 star talent, but he is a 5 star kid. He is Nick more than TJ, leadership-wise. These superstar types love him, because he can hang, but also can defer the spotlight. He could be much more of a spotlight player if he chose, and is much better than, say, Gabe. What will make him special, IMO, is his hoops talent mixed with his leadership. But he isn't TJ and that needs to be shaken from the mind as a comparison. He is more Steve Nash, if you have to have a white guy to compare him to and have to call out the comparison is white to make people happy. But that's really the best comparison...a PG that can play the 2 who can shoot, but more importantly can score, and in odd looking ways off the wrong leg, etc. Ultimately, defense will determine if he plays early, and if he is a disappointment, this will be why, I suppose.
Last edited by EVCat on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Some are doubting whether KS can play PG. Maybe he's more of a combo? Hasn't worked so well in the past.
Some aren't.

How about let's just find out? He is a freshman...he won't be at his best this year. And KaDeem will be in year two at D1 and PJC might even be a little better. We won't be as short in the backcourt. AT won't have a broken bone in his hand and that Chauncey Billips comparison might come more into play. We won't have two stiffs in the post so there will be more ball handling in motion and we won't be so dependent on our PG to get depth to start the offense.

There are so many factors in basketball beyond "what EA Sports rating would our PG have in NBA Live"? We have won with literally every type of PG, from score first to pass first to a forward named Walton who initiated the offense. This obsession with traditional point play is overblown because we just came off of TJ McConnell and followed that with a team (not a position, but a team) that was poor in initiating the offense. When LM or Ray Smith are at the 4, and Kobi/AT/name your third are in the backcourt, it is not going to be as important to have an offense-starting single point of attack point guard initiate the offense.

Basketball is more sophisticated than "PG dribble and pass, SG shoot and dunk, F rebound, C post". Especially when you run motion principles. We got our shit pushed in last year because...our team was a mess and divided over the Pitts matter, we had upperclassmen with 3 and 4 years in the program battling with upperclassmen carpetbaggers, we had spots filled haphazardly after losing 3 straight one and dones and a 2 and done, we had ZERO height at the wings, and our best player was a Freshman who broke his hand. It is easy...and far too simple and inaccurate...to take the WSU game and say "all of our problems were because PJC and KaDeem play point." No, we had problems because our team was built to require strong point play and we didn't have it. And all the rest of it.

Kobe just needs to be good, not great. Or PJC or KaDeem just need to be a little better. We don't need TJ with this roster. We'd be awesome with him, and point play is a concern. But with this flexibility and this many ball handlers (if Ray is not dead and AT stays healthy), we can overcome questions at the point...and thrive if Kobe is actually good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:Like the looks of Quade Green's game a lot. A very strong distributor who hawks the ball on defense and is a decent scoring threat. He seems exactly like Coach Miller's type as a heady, in-control combo distributor, scorer and D guy.

I think DeAndre and Lauri(If we're lucky to have him in 17) would do cartwheels if we got Quade.
We're not even really recruiting Quade at this point. I'm not sure we're recruiting any PG at this point other than maybe Sexton.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Some are doubting whether KS can play PG. Maybe he's more of a combo? Hasn't worked so well in the past.
Some aren't.

How about let's just find out? He is a freshman...he won't be at his best this year. And KaDeem will be in year two at D1 and PJC might even be a little better. We won't be as short in the backcourt. AT won't have a broken bone in his hand and that Chauncey Billips comparison might come more into play. We won't have two stiffs in the post so there will be more ball handling in motion and we won't be so dependent on our PG to get depth to start the offense.

There are so many factors in basketball beyond "what EA Sports rating would our PG have in NBA Live"? We have won with literally every type of PG, from score first to pass first to a forward named Walton who initiated the offense. This obsession with traditional point play is overblown because we just came off of TJ McConnell and followed that with a team (not a position, but a team) that was poor in initiating the offense. When LM or Ray Smith are at the 4, and Kobi/AT/name your third are in the backcourt, it is not going to be as important to have an offense-starting single point of attack point guard initiate the offense.

Basketball is more sophisticated than "PG dribble and pass, SG shoot and dunk, F rebound, C post". Especially when you run motion principles. We got our shit pushed in last year because...our team was a mess and divided over the Pitts matter, we had upperclassmen with 3 and 4 years in the program battling with upperclassmen carpetbaggers, we had spots filled haphazardly after losing 3 straight one and dones and a 2 and done, we had ZERO height at the wings, and our best player was a Freshman who broke his hand. It is easy...and far too simple and inaccurate...to take the WSU game and say "all of our problems were because PJC and KaDeem play point." No, we had problems because our team was built to require strong point play and we didn't have it. And all the rest of it.

Kobe just needs to be good, not great. Or PJC or KaDeem just need to be a little better. We don't need TJ with this roster. We'd be awesome with him, and point play is a concern. But with this flexibility and this many ball handlers (if Ray is not dead and AT stays healthy), we can overcome questions at the point...and thrive if Kobe is actually good.
Epic post, EV. Great breakdown and analysis.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EV brining his A game on a couple of threads.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:EV brining his A game on a couple of threads.
Except for misspelling Kobi ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Where the beef? :D
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Except for the 'stiffs in the post' line it was good stuff.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Some people are saying you're Donald Trump. I don't know for sure, but it's probably true.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
Some people are saying you're Donald Trump. I don't know for sure, but it's probably true.
This is frighteningly accurate.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah, EV has been coming with the real lately.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

We made the cut for a 6'5" guard

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2016/9/12/ ... n-syracuse" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

This is why Sean Miller made the state’s top guard a main priority this summer.

"They (Arizona) started recruiting me hard this summer when I was playing on the Nike circuit (EYBL)," Barcello said. "They kept on me hard and made me a top priority." During those 16 games on the circuit, he averaged 19 points per game and shot 37 percent from deep.

All the hard work over the last three years paid off when, less than 24 hours into his official visit to Tucson, the 2014 Arizona Gatorade Player of the Year announced his commitment to Arizona. With it, he became the first person in the 2017 class.

"When I visited, I knew it was the right fit for me," explained Barcello. "It felt like home. Being around all the players and the coaching staff and being in the environment with all the students there, it felt right for me."

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... don-alkins" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yep

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

USC
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Update on UA recruiting:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... vanderbilt" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:Update on UA recruiting:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... vanderbilt" target="_blank

Interesting news DMJ, Miller's always on the go.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:USC
Or not college.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
In my defense, I spell it two different ways in the same post. One of them has to be right...right? 50% from the field is solid...

I'll accept the kudos and keep them as currency for when I piss everyone off...which is likely going to happen, if it hasn't already. I am just passionately analytical, if that is possible.