let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Preston isn't really a recruit any longer. Lots of questions surrounding him, and ultimately it seems the press Miller made a year ago has been backed off from, so my guess is USC.

Yep

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but basically Preston wants to be "the man", and Ayton's commitment put the kibosh on that at UA.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Preston isn't really a recruit any longer. Lots of questions surrounding him, and ultimately it seems the press Miller made a year ago has been backed off from, so my guess is USC.

Yep

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but basically Preston wants to be "the man", and Ayton's commitment put the kibosh on that at UA.
https://youtu.be/n_58FqEiG3I" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gary Trent will be visiting for the Red/Blue game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder if Trent and Ayton are friends.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder if Trent and Ayton are friends.
They are. Either way it'll be a steep climb to beat out Duke for Trent.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hey, man. We beat out UK and KU for the #1 player in the nation, so I don't see why we can't lure another away from the schools we assume get to hand-pick their roster.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Hey, man. We beat out UK and KU for the #1 player in the nation, so I don't see why we can't lure another away from the schools we assume get to hand-pick their roster.
Ayton's family moved to AZ, which played greatly in our favor. Every recruitment is different. Our record vs. Duke for elite talent isn't very good to say the least. There's a first time for every thing though. Fingers crossed we can pull this one off, he's a hell of a talent.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Ayton's family moved to AZ, which played greatly in our favor. Every recruitment is different. Our record vs. Duke for elite talent isn't very good to say the least. There's a first time for every thing though. Fingers crossed we can pull this one off, he's a hell of a talent.
The trend seems to be for pairs or clusters of these guys to want to play with friends. So yeah, Duke is Duke, they've been on TV more than Leave it to Beaver re-runs, but if Ayton and Trent are tight, I wouldn't underestimate that.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Duke doesn't have DeAndre Ayton, and guards love an exceptional big down there. That's why I feel a strong playmaker/scorer PG like Quade Greene should love Arizona; or why Gary Trent, Jr. as a strong scorer SG should , as well. Duke, watch out when these top backcourt guys do some more thinking.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No one gets to hand pick their roster. You always have to compete, and Duke is a tough competitor, especially lately.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

EOCT wrote:Duke doesn't have DeAndre Ayton, and guards love an exceptional big down there. That's why I feel a strong playmaker/scorer PG like Quade Greene should love Arizona; or why Gary Trent, Jr. as a strong scorer SG should , as well. Duke, watch out when these top backcourt guys do some more thinking.
Which of your shooting guards is leaving after this season? Maybe Trier? Alkins and Simmons aren't one and done players. Why would Trent want to come in and compete for playing time?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

enfuego wrote:
EOCT wrote:Duke doesn't have DeAndre Ayton, and guards love an exceptional big down there. That's why I feel a strong playmaker/scorer PG like Quade Greene should love Arizona; or why Gary Trent, Jr. as a strong scorer SG should , as well. Duke, watch out when these top backcourt guys do some more thinking.
Which of your shooting guards is leaving after this season? Maybe Trier? Alkins and Simmons aren't one and done players. Why would Trent want to come in and compete for playing time?
Trier is definitely gone, Simmons is a combo, and Alkins could easy leave since his physical maturity is peaked.

So, basically, it's Trent with Simmons as possible starters, PJC, Smith, Barcello as backups, with maybe another guard if someone wants to commit.

Not that much competition. Pretty sure Duke is similar. Pretty sure Trent is good enough to not worry about it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No one gets to hand pick their roster. You always have to compete, and Duke is a tough competitor, especially lately.
Put a list together, then, of the guys Duke has recruited heavily over the last 5 years but didn't get. Gonna be a very short list.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Trier is definitely gone, Simmons is a combo, and Alkins could easy leave since his physical maturity is peaked.

So, basically, it's Trent with Simmons as possible starters, PJC, Smith, Barcello as backups, with maybe another guard if someone wants to commit.

Not that much competition. Pretty sure Duke is similar. Pretty sure Trent is good enough to not worry about it.
Yeah, I gave you Trier. Alkins didn't really want to play college ball anyway, so maybe you're right and if he has a decent year he puts his name in the draft and goes second round.

Duke should lose Jones to graduation, Allen and Jackson which leaves them returning Kennard. Much more playing time available for guards over there. Believe they're looking to add Trent and Coleman in this class, as priorities.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

enfuego wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Yeah, I gave you Trier. Alkins didn't really want to play college ball anyway, so maybe you're right and if he has a decent year he puts his name in the draft and goes second round.

Duke should lose Jones to graduation, Allen and Jackson which leaves them returning Kennard. Much more playing time available for guards over there. Believe they're looking to add Trent and Coleman in this class, as priorities.
Frank Jackson is certainly not a one and done guarantee, however I will give it to you that Duke might have more playing time next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't disagree, but Duke is very likely to land Wendell Carter, so it's not as if they'll be void of big man talent. As far as Quade Green and any PG goes, I think Arizona is done recruiting that position. Not saying I agree with it, but there ya go.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Put a list together, then, of the guys Duke has recruited heavily over the last 5 years but didn't get. Gonna be a very short list.
Wait what? Doesn't this post pretty much contradict every thing you said to be in regards to the Trent recruitment? lol. Not sure which hat to put on today??
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that if Gary Trent committed to Arizona he'd find a way into the starting lineup. He and Rawle can obviously play both wing positions, so this isn't a one position or nothing situation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hey, man. We beat out UK and KU for the #1 player in the nation, so I don't see why we can't lure another away from the schools we assume get to hand-pick their roster.[/quote]

No one gets to hand pick their roster. You always have to compete, and Duke is a tough competitor, especially lately.[/quote]

Put a list together, then, of the guys Duke has recruited heavily over the last 5 years but didn't get. Gonna be a very short list.[/quote]

Wait what? Doesn't this post pretty much contradict every thing you said to be in regards to the Trent recruitment? lol. Not sure which hat to put on today??[/quote]

No. Pay attention. Upthread I mentioned beating UK and KU for Ayton and that it bodes well. But Duke is different from these two. They rarely lose their top targets, especially lately, so if they're our top competition for Trent, it does not bode well. We've beaten KU and UK for recruits. Not sure we've beaten Duke.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. The Pac is doing incredibly well with the '17 class. Shades of '07.

Our front line is already looking pretty stacked for '17. If we add Lee...wow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Re: Beachcat's "not sure we've beaten Duke" post (because the quote function is jacked up beyond repair). We backed off Thornton, so really our only "loss" to Duke has been Winslow, and even then, we had Stanley and Rondae on board already. It's hard to recruit a guy who's identical in position to 2 NBA first rounders already on board.

It's not like Duke didn't offer Stanley.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Re: Beachcat's "not sure we've beaten Duke" post (because the quote function is jacked up beyond repair). We backed off Thornton, so really our only "loss" to Duke has been Winslow, and even then, we had Stanley and Rondae on board already. It's hard to recruit a guy who's identical in position to 2 NBA first rounders already on board.

So essentially you're saying we've beaten Duke for one single recruit? You're making my point for me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://twitter.com/THAT_KID_GARY/statu ... wsrc%5Etfw" target="_blank

In Trent's final four.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

in town for red / blue, the sc game, and family weekend. should be a fun time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Re: Beachcat's "not sure we've beaten Duke" post (because the quote function is jacked up beyond repair). We backed off Thornton, so really our only "loss" to Duke has been Winslow, and even then, we had Stanley and Rondae on board already. It's hard to recruit a guy who's identical in position to 2 NBA first rounders already on board.

So essentially you're saying we've beaten Duke for one single recruit? You're making my point for me.
And that we've essentially only lost one in head to head competition. .500 has kept Jeff Fisher in the game for decades. We just have not been in competition with Duke much, but it's not like they wouldn't have wanted Stan, Aaron, etc.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah for some reason we seem to be competing with kentucky, kansas, ucla, oregon, etc.. and not duke for the big time recruits.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah for some reason we seem to be competing with kentucky, kansas, ucla, oregon, etc.. and not duke for the big time recruits.
Part of it is regional. Duke tends to heavily target the east coast, south, and midwest, more than the west. They did get Singler and Thornton (and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting), but most of their stars recently (Winslow, Okafor, T Jones, Allen, Parker, Ingram) were not west coast guys.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Duke beat us out for Chase Jeter fwiw.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah for some reason we seem to be competing with kentucky, kansas, ucla, oregon, etc.. and not duke for the big time recruits.
Oregon???
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Duke beat us out for Chase Jeter fwiw.
That's right. Forgot about him. What I meant is that it's not like they're dominating west coast recruiting. I think they've locked up the midwest and east coast and can get elite talent without taking too many trips to CA.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Other Duke recruits out west. Trajan Langdon, Carlos Boozer, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Taylor King, Mark Alarie, Michael Dunleavy.

They seem to get a lot of kids from wealthier households.. Sons of former players, like Grant Hill, Dunleavy, Chris Collins, Seth Curry, or parents who are successful in other endeavors. Sorta like Stanford, but better players. Parents looking for elite private colleges, so not UK, KU or Arizona.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Other Duke recruits out west. Trajan Langdon, Carlos Boozer, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Taylor King, .
That's still a relatively short list considering how long K has been there.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Duke has an advantage, like Stanford in football and old Stanford in basketball, getting the rare elite kids with an eye on academics.

It is a small pool of players, but they are near the top/the top player for those kids.

These aren't the only kids they recruit, though, like they would have you believe. They would have a roster of 2 if that was it. They play in the questionable "student" athlete pool, too. But they have an advantage for the elite hoops player with academic interest.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cats in Final Four for 6-6 guard

http://www.insidethehall.com/2016/09/22 ... it-diallo/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:Cats in Final Four for 6-6 guard

It's nice to see, but man, our '17 backcourt is looking pretty crowded. KS, RA, PJC, AB...and more coming? This is assuming no one leaves early, of course.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Cats in Final Four for 6-6 guard

It's nice to see, but man, our '17 backcourt is looking pretty crowded. KS, RA, PJC, AB...and more coming? This is assuming no one leaves early, of course.
Why would you assume no one is leaving early? I'd assume the opposite.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Article on Miller recruiting 5 star guard (whom Kentucky leads for):

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... dou-diallo" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Article on Miller recruiting 5 star guard (whom Kentucky leads for):

Diallo is an insane athlete. Like Iggy, Hassan level athlete. It'll be hard to pry him from that east coast location with those competitors, but we can dream.

https://youtu.be/N6Ua6RkuvOc" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:Article on Miller recruiting 5 star guard (whom Kentucky leads for):

I wouldn't bet against Miller and Book at this point. Kentucky may be in the lead now, but when things shake out, the kid might be coming to Tucson. 8-)

Coach (Sean) Miller and Coach (Book) Richardson both came last week and we talked for a while and then they sat down with Hamidou and had a great conversation,” Espinosa said about the visit. “He’s really excited about Arizona and the possibility of going there. /Me, personally, I was very impressed with Coach Miller and Coach Richardson and it’s exciting what will happen next.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

New Ira Lee mixtape. Kid is basically ambidextrous.

https://youtu.be/wLre_wJIXno" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Update on AZ recruiting

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... inal-lists" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Update on AZ recruiting

I'm really impressed with Lee's development (see the video above). Adding him and a top level wing to Ayton and Barcello would give us a very good class. We would need one or two of the freshmen to stick around, but that roster would be another loaded team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm really impressed with Lee's development (see the video above). Adding him and a top level wing to Ayton and Barcello would give us a very good class. We would need one or two of the freshmen to stick around, but that roster would be another loaded team.
Still hoping for Trent or Diallo. If we get Lee plus one of those two, we'll have a top 5 class.

Pretty sure LM will be gone, if his actual performance this year comes anywhere near the hype he's getting. No idea about RA or KS. They're both future pros, just not sure if they can be one and done. Trier was as highly rated as these two, and he came back for another year. So there's that.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I am hoping playing with Ayton for a national championship will keep one of rawle or smith around. With one of them locked into a wing position we would be very good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I am hoping playing with Ayton for a national championship will keep one of rawle or smith around. With one of them locked into a wing position we would be very good.
Yep. How does this look?

DA
CC
RS
RA
point guard (hard to know what'll happen with this position in '17 at the moment; hopefully PJC or KS will be the clear starter by next summer)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I would add Kobi to that list. I don't think Barcello will be ready as a freshman,and PJC...well, see all the other discussions about PJC. Keep Kobi and a wing, add Lee and a wing and we're looking good.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Nothing is a given, but I am assuming Kobi is back.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

baycat93 wrote:Nothing is a given, but I am assuming Kobi is back.
I guess we won't know until he gets out there and starts competing, but yeah, it would be fairly surprising to see him spend only one season in college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »