Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:however, just to be clear, the Pitts situation was a major distraction inside the locker room, around the program in general, and in the athletic department. the team dealt with a bunch of drama that never reached the public -- to a point that i wouldnt wish any of what happened last year on any team trying to make a serious run in March.

if ya asked Coach Miller that he would say the same thing, the fact that it was kept out of the public domain in no way fairly depicts the negative impact it had.
With this said, chemistry on this years team is improved...even with *cough* No doesn't mean maybe *cough* ....correct?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote:however, just to be clear, the Pitts situation was a major distraction inside the locker room, around the program in general, and in the athletic department. the team dealt with a bunch of drama that never reached the public -- to a point that i wouldnt wish any of what happened last year on any team trying to make a serious run in March.

if ya asked Coach Miller that he would say the same thing, the fact that it was kept out of the public domain in no way fairly depicts the negative impact it had.
Without a doubt. That was clear. The team was going to have chemistry issues no matter what just with the magic stew of having 4 year seniors vs 1 year seniors, and senior leaders playing the same position as Freshman phenoms. But to have that kind of matter going on, where one of your teammates sister is claiming harm from one of your other teammates? You have friends of Trey, friends of Pitts, and some mercinaries who are just here to win and are pissed off (wrongly) at Trey and his family for "ruining my season"...we had missing leadership, divisions in our senior class, then you add that?

It was devastating. And did more damage than just last year. It caused schisms in the fan base, in the Lute crowd vs Miller crowd, and some lingering animosities among returning players. You have a beloved member of the Lute dream years and visibly loyal alum angry with the school...and the same "Elliott vs Trey vs mercenaries who just want to ball and don't want this drama" divisions that happened on the team happening in the larger alumni base. A selling point and strength of the program has been the seamless (minus two year Lute Hokey Pokey) transition from the Lute era to the Miller era, and at least at the surface, all the right things being said. A Player's Program. Former players who are Lute's guys stepping in to help Miller's program. And all of that was put at risk by this situation, Elliott's actions, and, according to which side of the fault line you are on, Miller's action/inaction and/or Harvey's response. It was and still is a powder keg of a situation.

But Miller's unwillingness to address it in the media was how it had to be handled. Which is the comparison here. Should Miller have been more firm in his handling of Pitts? Shit...that is the whole debate in relation to the blowback, right? Some would say we were legally exposed if he had made a move too early. Some say he disrespected the Mason family by not taking bold action right away. But all of that is separate from the media right to know, which is what the poster is discussing...the Pitts Situation as it relates to Miller not releasing info. That was how it had to happen.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Love Miller's response.
Ehh. I like the idea of it. But the Beaver County, Pennslyvania bit irks me for some reason. I understand it is where he is from, but the whole connotation is "where I come from, truth is truth and no is no, but I don't know what you all do out here."

Also, the question HAS to be asked. If it wasn't asked, the people who subscribe or may subscribe to the paper, the die hards on these message boards, would be flipping out. "The Tucson media are pussies. They won't even ask the question. How are we ever supposed to find out?' and so forth. If you don't ask the question each presser, things could change and some national media scoops the story and Miller could say "well...you didn't ask if it was resolved. It isn't my job to do your job for you." Because coaches always favor national press, even though those MFers barely know the team's mascot name and aren't there grinding with you on another 11:20p end in Pullman, Washington, getting the story of the game out for the later morning edition.

It goes to a larger pet peeve of mine, of coaches of college sports believing their own hype, and really thinking what they do is super important and elevates them above the people who cover them and the people who fill the seats and watch the sport. You coach people to throw a ball through a hole, at its essence, in representation of a university, presumably with student athletes doing the ball throwing/stopping. You are very popular, you have a player who is being held out, rumors are everywhere that he is suspended due to an NCAA investigation, and the reporter for the sports section that covers the program and thereby helps in promotion of this product that pays the coach an astonishingly high salary (deserved, but still a result of our own misplaced priorities, not his fault) asks a question, as he will at every presser, about the situation. The Nick Saban effect...coach as God. Miller slips into that mode more than I am comfortable with (not that my opinion matters).

The question is coming, and is part of the job. Your job is partially to deal with this situation. The guy asking the question is trying to make his employers happy so he keeps getting a paycheck. The question is valid. Your inability to answer is also valid. So cut the talking down to the guy who is not, in any way, your direct report or your inferior, and just answer the fucking question, no matter how exhausting it is to say the same 5 seconds worth of words once a week. The question was different than the "can you give details about why Trier is out"...substantially. There is a chance Miller could (though he won't) say "I can't give you details on what is going on with Allonzo, but I can tell you that we are working with the athletic department, league, and NCAA to have a resolution to all player issues as soon as possible" or "there are a lot of rumors out there. We have heard them. We have asked the NCAA if we can proceed with our expected roster and are awaiting word", or a number of other answers that aren't "fuck you...I said no. Go to bed without supper."

My discomfort with this really gets down to the dichotomy in my own head...I love this stuff and am obsessed with it and follow the team closely and live and die on its every move and love Miller and want us to do whatever we need to do monetarily to keep him...but at the same time, he isn't 1/10th as important as a single of our medical school instructors or engineering profs, or the Astronomical Sciences staff, etc, etc. People like me give these adults who played a game well then taught people how to play a game well a profile that allows them to, frankly, act like primadonnas at times. The most common example is the interaction of coach with the press. If the press didn't cover them, the coach would freak out. There are still a lot of current ticketholders who read the beat writer and the Star and their coverage helps the coach much more than it hurts him. You all have to work in close proximity. Just be decent.
I get where you are coming from, but, it was asked October 14 (fine), October 21 (fine), then the day in question (fine), then "I asked him if it was a situation that's still pending or under some sort of appeal" right after. I get that the media can be annoying, and I actually like the gentleman that got that response. Yes, he has to do his job. But I don't think it is primadonna-ish to snap like that when a no comment is given moments before, when he is looking out for a young man. The question is about basketball, but there is a kid (albeit not by law) who Miller is probably very protective of. He probably just wants it left alone. While I dont think these kids should be completely wrapped in bubble wrap, I do think the reigns should be drawn back a little when seeking this type of info. By all means, I dont think the journalist crossed any lines and I think he has been more than fair, but I'm not in the "father" role like Miller is for these kids.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

The question will keep being asked. Google Zo's name. He is in a ton of articles and on a ton of preseason lists. National media will want to know why and it will become bigger than Pitts the longer it goes on.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
HiCat wrote:fwiw...

If the appeal is on going, Allonzo should be allowed to play. Unless there's a final decision, AT should be on the court. (Or maybe CSM/ AT have agreed to sitting him out till they sort things out) Otherwise it just seems unfair to force him to miss games in this situation. :?
I don't think that's accurate in this case. Also what if I told you an appeal hasn't been filed yet?

I'm confused. :?
Nothing to be confused about, they haven't filed an appeal yet. That doesn't mean it's not coming of course. It just means don't expect a long term answer any time soon.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
HiCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
HiCat wrote:fwiw...

If the appeal is on going, Allonzo should be allowed to play. Unless there's a final decision, AT should be on the court. (Or maybe CSM/ AT have agreed to sitting him out till they sort things out) Otherwise it just seems unfair to force him to miss games in this situation. :?
I don't think that's accurate in this case. Also what if I told you an appeal hasn't been filed yet?

I'm confused. :?
Nothing to be confused about, they haven't filed an appeal yet. That doesn't mean it's not coming of course. It just means don't expect a long term answer any time soon.
Did not know this.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can't remember ever starting the season with our best player's eligibility in question.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Can't remember ever starting the season with our best player's eligibility in question.
Too young to remember the 1996-97 season huh?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Can't remember ever starting the season with our best player's eligibility in question.
Miles had played a few games if I remember correctly...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Was Miles the best player on our '97 team? Bibby? Dickerson?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Was Miles the best player on our '97 team? Bibby? Dickerson?
He was most certainly the best player returning from the 1995-96 team after having put up 13.2ppg and 4.1apg. For comparison Dickerson played 9 minutes less per game and was worse in every statistic compared to Miles outside of 3 point percentage. He was the Final Four MVP in 96-97 for christ's sakes, what more do you want BC97?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /1997.html" target="_blank

Based on all the statistics who was the best overall player that year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm pretty certain he missed the entire fall semester.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Was Miles the best player on our '97 team? Bibby? Dickerson?
He was most certainly the best player returning from the 1995-96 team after having put up 13.2ppg and 4.1apg. For comparison Dickerson played 9 minutes less per game and was worse in every statistic compared to Miles outside of 3 point percentage. He was the Final Four MVP in 96-97 for christ's sakes, what more do you want BC97?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /1997.html" target="_blank

Based on all the statistics who was the best overall player that year?
Simon, fine. So in other words, we haven't been in this situation for 20 years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Simon, fine. So in other words, we haven't been in this situation for 20 years.
Hopefully not the last similarity to '97...
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Love Miller's response.
Ehh. I like the idea of it. But the Beaver County, Pennslyvania bit irks me for some reason. I understand it is where he is from, but the whole connotation is "where I come from, truth is truth and no is no, but I don't know what you all do out here."

Also, the question HAS to be asked. If it wasn't asked, the people who subscribe or may subscribe to the paper, the die hards on these message boards, would be flipping out. "The Tucson media are pussies. They won't even ask the question. How are we ever supposed to find out?' and so forth. If you don't ask the question each presser, things could change and some national media scoops the story and Miller could say "well...you didn't ask if it was resolved. It isn't my job to do your job for you." Because coaches always favor national press, even though those MFers barely know the team's mascot name and aren't there grinding with you on another 11:20p end in Pullman, Washington, getting the story of the game out for the later morning edition.

It goes to a larger pet peeve of mine, of coaches of college sports believing their own hype, and really thinking what they do is super important and elevates them above the people who cover them and the people who fill the seats and watch the sport. You coach people to throw a ball through a hole, at its essence, in representation of a university, presumably with student athletes doing the ball throwing/stopping. You are very popular, you have a player who is being held out, rumors are everywhere that he is suspended due to an NCAA investigation, and the reporter for the sports section that covers the program and thereby helps in promotion of this product that pays the coach an astonishingly high salary (deserved, but still a result of our own misplaced priorities, not his fault) asks a question, as he will at every presser, about the situation. The Nick Saban effect...coach as God. Miller slips into that mode more than I am comfortable with (not that my opinion matters).

The question is coming, and is part of the job. Your job is partially to deal with this situation. The guy asking the question is trying to make his employers happy so he keeps getting a paycheck. The question is valid. Your inability to answer is also valid. So cut the talking down to the guy who is not, in any way, your direct report or your inferior, and just answer the fucking question, no matter how exhausting it is to say the same 5 seconds worth of words once a week. The question was different than the "can you give details about why Trier is out"...substantially. There is a chance Miller could (though he won't) say "I can't give you details on what is going on with Allonzo, but I can tell you that we are working with the athletic department, league, and NCAA to have a resolution to all player issues as soon as possible" or "there are a lot of rumors out there. We have heard them. We have asked the NCAA if we can proceed with our expected roster and are awaiting word", or a number of other answers that aren't "fuck you...I said no. Go to bed without supper."

My discomfort with this really gets down to the dichotomy in my own head...I love this stuff and am obsessed with it and follow the team closely and live and die on its every move and love Miller and want us to do whatever we need to do monetarily to keep him...but at the same time, he isn't 1/10th as important as a single of our medical school instructors or engineering profs, or the Astronomical Sciences staff, etc, etc. People like me give these adults who played a game well then taught people how to play a game well a profile that allows them to, frankly, act like primadonnas at times. The most common example is the interaction of coach with the press. If the press didn't cover them, the coach would freak out. There are still a lot of current ticketholders who read the beat writer and the Star and their coverage helps the coach much more than it hurts him. You all have to work in close proximity. Just be decent.
To borrow a line from "Arrested Development," .... Marry me!

So many good points (that I don't expect many fans to appreciate). It really is a pisser when coaches give some national dude a scoop, not the local beat writer enduring Pullman or agreeing to a puff piece about some player being a terrific person "on and off the court."

I will say that Miller assumes the God role less often than Coach O. He is far less apt to be prickly. I find him to be more professional and respectful than most.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm pretty certain he missed the entire fall semester.
He did. We opened at Springfield, Mass, and beat North Carolina. Miles was happy we played them again in tourney (his first choice of schools).

BTW, Miles is a big reason very little is said in these situations.
Right where I want to be.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Trier Tracker
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
BTW, Miles is a big reason very little is said in these situations.
Bingo.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Main Event wrote:Trier Tracker
He's wearing last years shorts
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So either he's ineligible, or his eligibility is in question. Not that that's really news.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe a great Miller ploy to take the pressure off his assumed floor leader and let him focus on just basketball. Hey a guy can hope right
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Buckle up...
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Street clothes for trier
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Main Event wrote:Trier Tracker
He's wearing last years shorts
Smart decision. The new uniforms suck. The not playing...I hope we really know soon.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Did either Trey Mason or Elliot Pitts graduate? Or do they both count against us. :( What a shitty situation. This is the first I've heard of it and just realized they were both Juniors and I only heard about Pitts transferring.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpatnca wrote:Did either Trey Mason or Elliot Pitts graduate? Or do they both count against us. :( What a shitty situation. This is the first I've heard of it and just realized they were both Juniors and I only heard about Pitts transferring.
Hey Pat!

Mason was just a walk on and won't count. Believe with Pitts he just needed to make academic progression.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Trey is still at the UA and is on schedule to graduate.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So no Trier, no Comanche, eh? I wonder if this was part of 97's tepid outlook for the season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Smith injured, BeachCat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Smith injured, BeachCat.
Wait...like badly injured? As in out for the season?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
See other threads...not good.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azpatnca wrote:Did either Trey Mason or Elliot Pitts graduate? Or do they both count against us. :( What a shitty situation. This is the first I've heard of it and just realized they were both Juniors and I only heard about Pitts transferring.
Trey left the team and is graduating. Saw him tailgating Saturday on the Mall
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I don't expect Smith to ever play basketball again on a competitive level again. Seemed he wasn't in for 5 minutes and he tweaked his ankle, then he later tore up his knee. Player is glass, and needs to look out for his future health.

If he comes back again, and stays healthy, I would really be surprised.

Not a doctor, nor do I play one in civic theater.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I don't expect Smith to ever play basketball again on a competitive level again. Seemed he wasn't in for 5 minutes and he tweaked his ankle, then he later tore up his knee. Player is glass, and needs to look out for his future health.

crazy how i said this, pretty much word for word, before but was destroyed on the board.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

crazy how i said this, pretty much word for word, before but was destroyed on the board.
Good call bro, you should be real proud of yourself.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:crazy how i said this, pretty much word for word, before but was destroyed on the board.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

i'm anything but proud. i'm extremely disappointed and sad for the kid. but it does prove how many people on this board, including people like you, are extremely arrogant, hypocritical and generally turds. but congrats on being a dick!

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:

i'm anything but proud. i'm extremely disappointed and sad for the kid. but it does prove how many people on this board, including people like you, are extremely arrogant, hypocritical and generally turds. but congrats on being a dick!
Your projection truly is impressive, hater.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ASUHATER! wrote: i'm anything but proud. i'm extremely disappointed and sad for the kid. but it does prove how many people on this board, including people like you, are extremely arrogant, hypocritical and generally turds. but congrats on being a dick!
Arrogant, as in boasting you predicted an injury to make yourself feel better? That's like telling your wife on your wedding night you might get divorced at some point, and then when it happens telling her you told her so. And I am the dick? Was it clear to me that Ray was fragile and did I cringe every time he jumped in the Red/Blue game? Yes! Did I feel the need to post that and put the bad Mojo out there to inflate my own self worth? No!

Edit: I apologize this is in the Trier thread.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This is certainly not a situation that warrants an "I told you so," no matter how anyone else was acting. Come on man.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Not a single Trier question or statement at either post game presser...
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: i'm anything but proud. i'm extremely disappointed and sad for the kid. but it does prove how many people on this board, including people like you, are extremely arrogant, hypocritical and generally turds. but congrats on being a dick!
Arrogant, as in boasting you predicted an injury to make yourself feel better? That's like telling your wife on your wedding night you might get divorced at some point, and then when it happens telling her you told her so. And I am the dick? Was it clear to me that Ray was fragile and did I cringe every time he jumped in the Red/Blue game? Yes! Did I feel the need to post that and put the bad Mojo out there to inflate my own self worth? No!

Edit: I apologize this is in the Trier thread.
This response is Straight Cash Homie.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Congrats on your big win.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Congrats on your big win.
don't be that guy, Chi. you know better. it's anything but a win. in fact it's a huge loss for everyone, especially RS. feel so bad for the kid. just am pointing out the terrible behavior and posts of some of the people on here.

luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Asuhater, you are piece of work. Seriously go fuck yourself to sleep
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

luteformayor2 wrote:Asuhater, you are piece of work. Seriously go fuck yourself to sleep
i can say the same to you? my sadness and being upset at what happened to RS somehow upsets you? that's a piece of work to be upset that i'm upset for this to happen to a kid that has worked so hard to succeed. grow up and show some compassion for the kid.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Easy, fellas. We're all upset and sad for Ray. He'll get the care he needs and move forward with his life. And the team will pull together and dedicate the season to him.