Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Merkin »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:For sure. Also, can anyone confirm the validity of AT traveling to Hawaii? Someone in another forum said that both him and CC are there.
Seth Davis tweeted that AT would be going, but later retracted that and said he meant Comanche.

Haven't heard if they left already or not, that's a lot of school to miss.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Comanche will play against Mich St, zero chance for Trier
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:Comanche will play against Mich St, zero chance for Trier
What chance for Trier for let's say Gonzaga? Or Cal December 30th?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Trier Not In Hawaii

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 5d447.html

Zo not with the team in Hawaii....expected this, bummer :(
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Wildcats arrive in Hawaii without standout Allonzo Trier

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... af0fe.html" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

last week i got new intel directly from the AD dept that suggested this isnt a PED issue but in fact he is ineligible for the semester for academic reasons.

i havent verified this up the source ladder as i care less and less these days about this stuff nor will i share the detail of what it is exactly but thats what i knew early last week.
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Re: Trier Not In Hawaii

Post by qwertyus »

AAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!!!

WHAT HAS HE DONE????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The NCAA has ZERO chill...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So he could return in January for league play?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

84Cat wrote:So he could return in January for league play?
im told end of December or early Jan but he needs to "clean-up" his mess from the summer.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:last week i got new intel directly from the AD dept that suggested this isnt a PED issue but in fact he is ineligible for the semester for academic reasons.

i havent verified this up the source ladder as i care less and less these days about this stuff nor will i share the detail of what it is exactly but thats what i knew early last week.

This is not good.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat wrote:
97cats wrote:last week i got new intel directly from the AD dept that suggested this isnt a PED issue but in fact he is ineligible for the semester for academic reasons.

This is not good.
Better than out for the year
97cats

Post by 97cats »

there is a chance he never plays for AZ ever again
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Sucks that his mind is made up for going pro
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:There's a forum for you idiots to do this. Keep it out of here.
Seriously, Jefe needs to be banned or restricted to some forum already.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Ughhhh.... At least 97 made this thread worth reading today. Much appreciated.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
gumby

Post by gumby »

So two guys from that class who didn't get it done in class. Recruiting must be such a nightmare. Maybe not a witch.
Right where I want to be.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

97cats wrote:
84Cat wrote:So he could return in January for league play?
im told end of December or early Jan but he needs to "clean-up" his mess from the summer.
Sounds to me like a cheating issue of sorts that can only be remedied with a complete repeat of class(es). There is also the issue of GPA eligibility which, presumably, would have been impacted. Usually if one gets caught cheating they get an F!

If its NOT cheating (so I hope), the GPA thing and the make up classes would still come into play.

Regardless, the fix has to be done right lest the university involves itself in the individual's wrongdoing and then a full-blown scandal erupts.

What's disappointing is the university is supposed to watch these guys like a hawk, practically trailing the player's activities on a day-to-day basis. There has to have been some sort of breakdown which doesn't speak well for the academic side of the basketball operation, especially given we know (now) that Chance had been doing 'something' wrong on the academic side, as well.

[Note: All this content is total speculation on my part. I know zero. It just adds up: its either January or bust.]
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Keep in mind that I know nothing of this situation. My first thought was a Jahii Carson type of situation. Hope he can straighten it out or else he really let his teammates down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

On Trier, no shock be isn't in Hawaii. The sooner he's ruled in or out, the better. This limbo sucks for everyone. Effing NCAA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:So two guys from that class who didn't get it done in class. Recruiting must be such a nightmare. Maybe not a witch.
Comanche's back and I really doubt it is academics with Trier.

Maybe a broader curse affecting that class, now that one guy transferred, one guy had ACL tears galore, one guy missed time for academics and the last guy is out indefinitely for _________.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:So two guys from that class who didn't get it done in class. Recruiting must be such a nightmare. Maybe not a witch.

Maybe a broader curse affecting that class, now that one guy transferred, one guy had ACL tears galore, one guy missed time for academics and the last guy is out indefinitely for _________.
So not buying the 97Cats post?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

So not buying the 97Cats post?
I don't know. I missed his post, and I heard some stuff too.

If it is what he says and not what I heard, I would be happy.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I took the possible semester suspension / January return as great news too. In my mind Trier is already done for the year. I've accepted it mentally to shield from further pain.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very selfish as it hurts the team's APR. So much for Trier being "all in".
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

The classes that athletes take are often incredibly easy, and usually gen ed classes. Not to mention they have a vast network of academic support staff and mandatory academic study halls. There are very few good reasons for an athlete to fail his classes or cheat on his assignments, especially guys who haven't made it to upper-division courses.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

If it truly is academics, why would Miller publicly admonish Chance Comanche for his academic standing while keeping Trier's situation under wraps?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Echo my thoughts.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If it has to do with anything regarding academics, it has to be for apparent cheating. Also, if Trier has been suspended by the NCAA, I'm pretty sure he can't practice with the team. Like they said on the radio yesterday, there are probably only a couple of people who know and those who say they do, don't really know.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

TJATUA wrote:If it truly is academics, why would Miller publicly admonish Chance Comanche for his academic standing while keeping Trier's situation under wraps?
Because Chance is alleged to have skipped class. That type of mistake falls in the category of simple discipline. Trier, OTOH, may have either failed a class (or two) or, perhaps, done something far worse. In other words, Trier's malfeasance--whatever it was--has to be fully shielded.

If Trier has fallen behind academically, Trier's situation may be insurmountable. Trier would have to make up the prescribed work load, while at the same time maintain a normal course load on top of that and, probably, have a B+ average on all the courses while doing so.

That might be an iffy task for a guy that got home schooling during his basketball career. One thing for sure, Trier doesn't want to be in the classroom any more than I did. Trier may be overwhelmed if his troubles involved more than one issue. To that end, I think Miles Simon, when he had such an issue, had to make up just one course.
Last edited by Hank of sb on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Trier is so uninterested in school, why would he come back to play another season?! Was his draft status that poor??
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TJATUA wrote:If it truly is academics, why would Miller publicly admonish Chance Comanche for his academic standing while keeping Trier's situation under wraps?

As Hank and others mentioned before, if it's grades, it is covered under FERPA laws. Internal athletic department rules (skipping classes or tutoring sessions) are not covered.

Violation of FERPA makes the school liable, as the UA found out with Miles Simon when his grade issues were leaked.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

HiCat wrote:

This is not good.
Sure beats the hell out of a full year. 1997 Simon - 2017 Trier, and the final four in Phoenix. More reps for the wings while he hopefully fixes the situation. I'll take that
97cats

Post by 97cats »

because this is an ongoing problem with Comanche violating TEAM rules and is not in trouble with the University, yet.

Trier on the other hand, has a larger issue than TEAM rules and Coach Miller is not allowed to discuss -- like i said i havent followed up like i have in the past, but im told hes ineligible for the fall semester and has to "clean up" what transpired over the summer and re-pass a class again.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
What's disappointing is the university is supposed to watch these guys like a hawk, practically trailing the player's activities on a day-to-day basis. There has to have been some sort of breakdown which doesn't speak well for the academic side of the basketball operation, especially given we know (now) that Chance had been doing 'something' wrong on the academic side, as well.

[Note: All this content is total speculation on my part. I know zero. It just adds up: its either January or bust.]
At the end of the day, Sean Miller and his staff are too busy to micromanage the team. Part of being a good coach is being proactive to ensure your players are doing what is expected of them in their classes, and I would bet the bank that Miller and his staff do it better than most. There are some things you cannot control though, and some things that don't rear their ugly heads until after it happens. I failed a class because I fell asleep studying in bed before I set my alarm for the next morning. Teacher didn't buy it and that was half my grade. Ultimately, it was on me and I learned my lesson when I had to pay $500 plus to retake the class the next semester. Shit happens sometimes. Regardless, while you want to be there to help with guidance, ensure resources are available when needed, and provide some supervision, these are adults who need to learn responsibility as they transition into the real world. If mommy holds their hand until college, and a coach holds their hand until they get their BA, they are not ready for the tough world ahead of them and you are doing them a great disservice. Too much hand holding and coddling with many in this younger generation and it is showing.
qwertyus wrote:The classes that athletes take are often incredibly easy, and usually gen ed classes. Not to mention they have a vast network of academic support staff and mandatory academic study halls. There are very few good reasons for an athlete to fail his classes or cheat on his assignments, especially guys who haven't made it to upper-division courses.
You are partially correct. There are some gen eds that are tough though, even though they try to mitigate things by picking the "right" teacher. Upper division classes are easier than gen eds for many majors IMO. My GPAs reflected that.
gman4gov

Post by gman4gov »

Trier is a really good student. Unsure why academics would be an issue, but if it is related, he won't see the court until next semester.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

gman4gov wrote:Trier is a really good student. Unsure why academics would be an issue, but if it is related, he won't see the court until next semester.
Which is after Christmas
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, Miller and the administration were wrong last year to disclose nothing whatsoever about Pitts' status.

In light of the actual facts of that case, a repeat of total silence can only cast AT's status in a dubious light.

A student-athlete's general status can be, and I think should be, characterized in general terms (e.g., "suspension", "NCAA questions pending appeal", "university suspension", "university suspension pending appeal", practicing or not with team, etc.) without disclosing any specifically confidential information....

The university must maintain "institutional control" over the athletic dapartment - this should not be Miller's call.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good point. Blanket no comment opens it up for conjecture. "No comment" may be university policy, but I doubt characterizing it in a general way would be a FERPA no-no.

Miles Simon sued because details, like actual grades, were leaked.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We should know today, I wouldn't be optimistic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:We should know today, I wouldn't be optimistic.
Why hold back, in that case?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:We should know today, I wouldn't be optimistic.
Why hold back, in that case?
I was optimistic, but then I heard they changed the merits of the appeal, and now I'm not.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We should all remain pessimisticly optimistic until we hear something that would make us feel optimisticly pessimistic
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He is currently not playing. That can hold, it can become final, or he can be allowed to play. I'm hoping for the third option. In terms of where we stand...if it involves the NCAA, I would not expect it to be easy or simple.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I was optimistic, but then I heard they changed the merits of the appeal, and now I'm not.
Appeal for academics or potential PED/meds?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sure could have used AT last night. Foul troubles and short bench gave the Runners a chance to win. Hope the chips fall in the right place soon. 8-)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This situation is so depressing. You look at the pieces we have out there and the resolve this team has shown early and cant help to wonder what if. Hoping for good news but I'm trying to keep that sliver of hope grounded.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Ray & Allonzo were the two most vocal guys on the bench last night. Was fun to watch & a downer at the same time.

This team is going to be fun to watch. They're just going to be too thin if we can't start catching some breaks with injuries and obviously AT's situation. Whatever that is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My guess: 10 game suspension.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:My guess: 10 game suspension.
That seems likely.... based on zero actual info.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

:lol:
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong