Michigan State Predictions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Michigan State Predictions

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perimeter defense is crucial for us. Arizona by 3 as Lauri and Ristic have good games.
College basketball is most definitely a guards game. Offensively I think Lauri/Ristic will do great, but defensively against smaller quicker players? Good luck.
I worry about who handles Bridges. He plays Lauri's position, but can Lauri handle his athleticism?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:This is a big game, obviously. Even though it's so early, whoever wins gets to add a "quality win" to their tourney resume in March. These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
We haven't started the season. We're ranked in the top ten. You're already talking about whether we can make the tourney or miss it.
Yeah, I am. Early season quality wins have a strange way of becoming very relevant in March.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perimeter defense is crucial for us. Arizona by 3 as Lauri and Ristic have good games.
College basketball is most definitely a guards game. Offensively I think Lauri/Ristic will do great, but defensively against smaller quicker players? Good luck.
I worry about who handles Bridges. He plays Lauri's position, but can Lauri handle his athleticism?
Ray was probably the most able guy to defend Bridges. I suppose Rawle may be now honestly, although he's far from a defensive force at this point. Bridges will certainly be tough to handle.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Which is why perimeter defense is crucial. We arent going to stand a very good chance if their guards are penetrating into Ristic and Lauri or we blow rotations, giving up open threes.

Im less concerned with Bridges and our bigs defensively and more worried about defending on the perimeter.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Valid concern, but if they continue to start three guards, thats my biggest worry. The defensive rotations were pretty bad against Chico St. Lots and lots of breakdowns helpside and we also got beat off the dribble a good amount.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

whatisee wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Apparently Mich St is bigger than us, so the Euro Duo should prosper against the bigger slower players right?
They are completely undersized in the paint. Thats our biggest advantage, IMO.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:This is a big game, obviously. Even though it's so early, whoever wins gets to add a "quality win" to their tourney resume in March. These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
We haven't started the season. We're ranked in the top ten. You're already talking about whether we can make the tourney or miss it.
Yeah, I am. Early season quality wins have a strange way of becoming very relevant in March.
Why? Look, I am a big advocate that nothing is certain, but being on the bubble would take a massive collapse in much more than the MSU game. Other than just playing the doom and gloom guy, is there any point in worrying about our bubble resume at this point?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Valid concern, but if they continue to start three guards, thats my biggest worry. The defensive rotations were pretty bad against Chico St. Lots and lots of breakdowns helpside and we also got beat off the dribble a good amount.
I see that. Bridges is the guy who can be an explosive scorer for them. The remainder of their guys are people we can't give up easy stuff to, but if we don't have breakdowns, they won't beat us. Bridges can beat us straight up, and Ray was the only guy who set up well to match his strengths.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I see that. Bridges is the guy who can be an explosive scorer for them. The remainder of their guys are people we can't give up easy stuff to, but if we don't have breakdowns, they won't beat us. Bridges can beat us straight up, and Ray was the only guy who set up well to match his strengths.
Bridges is a concern, but we are going to be relying on two freshman to play quality perimeter defense. Thats more concerning to me. Offensively, I think we pose some major problems in Lauri and Ristic. Its a question of who blinks first, but one thing we know is that Miller will try to punish teams with the size of his frontcourt.

All things considered, without Trier and with MSu having a plethora of injury issues, I think both teams are matched pretty well. Each side has strengths that can pose major problems for the other. Its going to be a nailbiter.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip, to cut short the quote string, I agree. This is a matchup of strength on weakness for both teams. We have size and talented bigs, but need our perimeter rotation to grow up in a hurry. They have some depth and talent on the wing, but no bigs that can go strength for strength on us.

It's like a MMA fight with a striker vs jiu jitsu guy.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pinder hopefully helps on Bridges. He should stick to him like white on rice.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Or quinoa on a foodie.
Right where I want to be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

...like Egee's on my gameday jersey.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TucsonClip wrote:
That was my concern with this game too. Was thinking we are going to have to outslug them with big games from Ristic and LM.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

YoDeFoe wrote:...like Egee's on my gameday jersey.

Lute Olsen would NEVER do that!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Are we looking at PJC, KA, RA, DR, LM as the starting 5? Any chance CC starts?
gumby

Post by gumby »

MSU, 1.5 favorite. Break the bank, ChooChoo!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Are we looking at PJC, KA, RA, DR, LM as the starting 5? Any chance CC starts?
Why would Chance start?

Yeah, that's probably it. RA vs KS would be the only debatable thing at this point, IMO.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Are we looking at PJC, KA, RA, DR, LM as the starting 5? Any chance CC starts?
Why would Chance start?.
Not sure...because he's good?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Zero chance chance starts starts.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Why would Chance start?.
Not sure...because he's good?
Better than Dusan or Lauri? Because we can't start all 3.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chance isn't going to start after missing the two exhibitions, especially when it was for not comporting with that is expected of Arizona basketball. Dusan is not losing his starting role unless he plays himself out of it with poor defense for an extended period.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who's gonna start is a weird obsession. Best players will get the most minutes, even if they don't start. Miller does want to win.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:MSU by 20.
Remind me to take you to Vegas with me.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat wrote:
Main Event wrote:We win by 7
I'm thinking 4. Free throw battle at the end.
Beers on me
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't believe none of you jerks called a physics-defying 3-pointer to tie followed by Allen coast to coast and then swatting away the final possession
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Anyone have input on injuries to Allen and Kobi? Game was blacked out here. Thanks!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anyone have input on injuries to Allen and Kobi? Game was blacked out here. Thanks!
Kobi tweaked his ankle, but was back on the court after. I'd figure it's a light sprain.

Kadeem, I'm less sure. He just looked a little gimpy, but it didn't stop the celebrating.
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks Spaceman!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Thanks Spaceman!
Any time. I'm no doctor, but unless either one was waaay worse than it looked, we should be fine.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The eye injury for Alkins concerned me too. If the basketball gods are so insatiable that they want yet more of our roster out, then they can go ahead. I'll also give them:

- my piano
- one of my legs
- and my wife
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

rgdeuce wrote:Chance isn't going to start after missing the two exhibitions, especially when it was for not comporting with that is expected of Arizona basketball. Dusan is not losing his starting role unless he plays himself out of it with poor defense for an extended period.
Id say I would be eating my words right now, but we have a forgiving nonconference slate. Against any kind of talent and/or athleticism, Dusan is a nonfactor on offense for life it seems. Figured he would have taken that next step w slimming down and adding the "dont take forever" to his arsenal we saw in red/blue and the first exhibition. He could mitigate things tremendously w positioning, but like I said in the game theeas, he is being too lazy w establishing good positioning and looking to get the ball too far from the basket. Chance just gives us more and that was his first game. He had five or six key hustle and 50/50 plays, most in the second half. Dusan doesnt give a positive outcome for any of those plays andseeing the final score, its something that stands out between us winning and us losing

And Chance, offensively, has shown some nice things since the Utah/Rado road trip last year. He isnt gonna put up points in mass,buthe has that drop step to his weak hand side down nice.
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:The eye injury for Alkins concerned me too. If the basketball gods are so insatiable that they want yet more of our roster out, then they can go ahead. I'll also give them:

- my piano
- one of my legs
- and my wife
Good Lord, didn't know about this one....seriously need a separate thread for injuries or team health updates....although always a concern, this season I will be extra-concerned for injuries each game....I hate this feeling.....

as a side note, I tore my meniscus playing hoops at my old junior high school court (Amphi) while a student at the U of A......was playing against a girl too, lol....jumped up and heard that pop....last time I have been able to run in almost 30 years now..ugh....I really feel for those who get hurt playing hoops.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Main Event wrote:We win by 7
I'm thinking 4. Free throw battle at the end.
Beers on me
Sweet, cause I'm thirsty. :D
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kobi! Way to step it up. 18 pts!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:as a side note, I tore my meniscus playing hoops at my old junior high school court (Amphi) while a student at the U of A......was playing against a girl too, lol....jumped up and heard that pop....last time I have been able to run in almost 30 years now..ugh....I really feel for those who get hurt playing hoops.
Seriously.

That's actually why I never played much basketball. I played volleyball instead.

Fucked my back.
Fucked my hip.
Fucked my knee.

Oh well.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gumby

Post by gumby »

HiCat wrote:Kobi! Way to step it up. 18 pts!
But he didn't start! That's what matters!

(He saved the day)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:

(He saved the day)
More like he kept us in it. His big contribution at first was on defense. Almost Jason Terry-like coming off the bench.

I think this team can score 65-70 points a night. Tough games are going to come down to defense. I was impressed with Kobi, PJC, Kadeem, and Rawle on the perimeter. I thought they individually and collectively did a nice job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:

(He saved the day)

Pinder too, didn't start but saved the day. Small ball won the game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

gumby wrote:

(He saved the day)

Maybe he should start?
gumby

Post by gumby »

HiCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

(He saved the day)

Maybe he should start?
Why i oughta ....
Bangkok Wildcat

Hey, if anyone knows of a YouTube link or if this game is replayed on the P12 network please pm me.....I would so much love to see this game. Thanks in advance?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bangkok, you can watch any ESPN game as a replay. Just click on "scores" and go to the date of the game. You'll see the "watch replay" link there.
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:Bangkok, you can watch any ESPN game as a replay. Just click on "scores" and go to the date of the game. You'll see the "watch replay" link there.
Can't...ESPN blocks this if you're outside the USA....and right now I can't use a DNS proxy. Frickin' ESPN....

Thanks anyways Longhorned.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Choo choo where are yoooooouuuuu?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Bangkok, you can watch any ESPN game as a replay. Just click on "scores" and go to the date of the game. You'll see the "watch replay" link there.
Can't...ESPN blocks this if you're outside the USA....and right now I can't use a DNS proxy. Frickin' ESPN....

Bangkok: Have you tried accessing ESPN through a US based proxy service??? The idea is to fool the ESPN server into thinking you are accessing their site from the USA. Here's a free list:

http://www.proxy4free.com/list/webproxy1.html" target="_blank

There are also pay sites:

http://www.watchoutsideus.com/espn/" target="_blank

https://thevpn.guru/watch-espn-outside- ... -vpn-proxy" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Choo choo where are yoooooouuuuu?
My bad brother, baby was sick so I was half functional (outside of celebrating our win) and missed coming in for my lumpings. I was wrong and happy to be :D
Bangkok Wildcat

dmjcat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Bangkok: Have you tried accessing ESPN through a US based proxy service??? The idea is to fool the ESPN server into thinking you are accessing their site from the USA. Here's a free list:

http://www.proxy4free.com/list/webproxy1.html" target="_blank

There are also pay sites:

http://www.watchoutsideus.com/espn/" target="_blank

https://thevpn.guru/watch-espn-outside- ... -vpn-proxy" target="_blank
Thanks dmjcat! Will check it out. Much appreciated.