let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:Don't think Bowen is a longshot at all
He is Jason Richardson's cousin...

I certainly think we have a chance, but MSU won't let this go easy.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Jefe wrote:Look on the last page. All 4 signed up

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... on-ira-lee" target="_blank
gracias, @Jefe - i totally missed that write-up last week. good stuff.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He is Jason Richardson's cousin...

I certainly think we have a chance, but MSU won't let this go easy.
Lauri's dad went to Kansas, things like that are overblown
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

7% Arizona. I like it. 8-)
http://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Bowen-37000" target="_blank

Head coach Sean Miller said Thursday that the program is planning to add one more recruit to the class.

Miller said the position of the player he plans to add is still to be determined.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... rian-bowen" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So much for 7 recruits in '17
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:So much for 7 recruits in '17
I care less about what this means for recruits and more about what it means for players staying.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

The return of the number 0.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we add Bowen or McCoy, this is pretty much indisputably CSM's best class, at least on paper.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

This is an interesting take, and one that I've seen posted a number of times. Right now we've got the top player plus three four stars. Even if we add McCoy I'm not sure it's obviously his best class ever.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He actually didn't say just one more player. He later said at least one.

I think we end up w 6 frosh, one transfer like Dylan ..... we lose Lauri and Trier and obv ray and Allen.

6 frosh
PJC
Dusan
Chance
Dylan
Keanu
Rawle
kobi
Transfer

That's 14. I think one of transfer / dusan (euro) / or Kobi (EE) won't happen. We only take transfer if we feel Kobi or Dusan and or someone moves on.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PennZona20 wrote:He actually didn't say just one more player. He later said at least one.

I think we end up w 6 frosh, one transfer like Dylan ..... we lose Lauri and Trier and obv ray and Allen.

6 frosh
PJC
Dusan
Chance
Dylan
Keanu
Rawle
kobi
Transfer

That's 14. I think one of transfer / dusan (euro) / or Kobi (EE) won't happen. We only take transfer if we feel Kobi or Dusan and or someone moves on.
This is a really good take. I agree with you PennZona20,
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Guys, I hear you on all of this and I think the fact that we don't have Trier on this team makes people look to next year more than is normal considering we are two games in.

But the fact of the matter is we have absolutely no idea if Kobi and Rawle are going to show out all season and want to leave, or if they love college and want to give it a second year with a chance to win a natty (and that goes for Lauri too, no matter how much we all know he will be a lotto pick).

Two games into the season speculation is just pointless. If Trier were here, it's much more likely both Kobi and Rawle would be around next year. But he's not, they are going to play more, develop more, show more, and be more ready for the NBA than if he were logging 35 mpg (which might be the worst part of this whole situation in my eyes).

Let's hope we get one of McCoy or Bowen, let's pray we get both, and let's not worry about who stays and who goes and let the cards fall how they may!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:He actually didn't say just one more player. He later said at least one.

6 frosh
PJC
Dusan
Chance
Dylan
Keanu
Rawle
kobi
Transfer

I think it'll just be 5 frosh and 1 transfer, but if McCoy and Bowen both want to come you don't say no to them obviously. I don't know how fortunate we are to be in a position like that. Fingers crossed.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:Guys, I hear you on all of this and I think the fact that we don't have Trier on this team makes people look to next year more than is normal considering we are two games in.

But the fact of the matter is we have absolutely no idea if Kobi and Rawle are going to show out all season and want to leave, or if they love college and want to give it a second year with a chance to win a natty (and that goes for Lauri too, no matter how much we all know he will be a lotto pick).

Two games into the season speculation is just pointless. If Trier were here, it's much more likely both Kobi and Rawle would be around next year. But he's not, they are going to play more, develop more, show more, and be more ready for the NBA than if he were logging 35 mpg (which might be the worst part of this whole situation in my eyes).

Let's hope we get one of McCoy or Bowen, let's pray we get both, and let's not worry about who stays and who goes and let the cards fall how they may!
It is too early but always fun speculating. As fans, we need to prepare for the worst case scenario. Clearly this is what Miller is doing. Injuries, transfers, early entries to the draft, surprise entries to the draft, eligibility issues, guys not qualifying, etc. has taken just about every recent Sean Miller team that was supposed to be deep and possibly unbeatable to thin and flawed. In that frame of mind, I have already come to terms that Simmons is not going to be here next year. That's with or without Trier. Just looking at his physical attributes and being conservative with his progression from here to March, he's a late first round pick. Obviously the jury is still out on a lot of things, but someone is going to burn that late first round pick on the potential and work on the rest after the contract is signed.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Before I get laughed out of here just hear me out.

Miller said Ayton is a once In a generation player. What if everybody on this years team realizes that and just loads up for a huge run next year like Kentucky did a few years back? It's highly unlikely I understand but Markkinan isn't hurting for money and I think trier may have something extra to prove. Okay now the laughing can begin!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

3goggles wrote:Before I get laughed out of here just hear me out.

Miller said Ayton is a once In a generation player. What if everybody on this years team realizes that and just loads up for a huge run next year like Kentucky did a few years back? It's highly unlikely I understand but Markkinan isn't hurting for money and I think trier may have something extra to prove. Okay now the laughing can begin!
Not everyone, but if we can keep Simmons and Alkins, that would be huge.

I'd love to see an Ayton-Lauri frontcourt with Chance as primary backup and Pinder and Lee used for hustle minutes.

But realistically I think Simmons/Alkins with one of Ristic or Chance is the best bet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bahahahahahahahahaha :D
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dcZONAfan wrote:Guys, I hear you on all of this and I think the fact that we don't have Trier on this team makes people look to next year more than is normal considering we are two games in.

Err... This IS the 'Let's talk '17' thread, right?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:lol:

Just kidding. They also just saw Ray Smith, who is a reminder of how even guys who look like they have a strong pro career, well, there just aren't guarantees. A guy like Lauri, who is a strong top ten pick contender, I don't know why he would return. It can all disappear in a moment, and those millions don't come back.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:

Err... This IS the 'Let's talk '17' thread, right?
Yea, I guess. I always thought that meant recruiting talk rather than speculating on who was going to leave based on 2 games worth of info, especially when we are talking about Freshman.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think it's that everyone is so excited about Ayton that we are trying to imagine what the rest of the roster might look like. Gotta talk about something between hoops games, particularly since football has shat the bed.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Lonnie Walker committed to Miami. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

A private jet and a team effort: how Miami Hurricanes landed top-20 recruit Lonnie Walker

Second-year assistant coach Adam Fisher, who like Walker hails from the suburbs northeast of Philadelphia, discovered him early, identified him as a must-get for Miami, and kept in daily contact. On Walker’s official visit last month, Hurricanes players made him feel at home. Liz Larranaga, Jim’s wife, bonded with Walker’s mother.

One of the unsung heroes: a group of UM boosters who let the team use their private jet. That allowed Miami to send four coaches to Reading, Pa. multiple times — without taxing their recruiting budget, or causing schedule conflicts during a hectic period where recruiting collides with the start of the season. Instead of one or two coaches showing up, Jim Larranaga and all three assistants — Fisher, Chris Caputo and Jamal Brunt — were a large and regular presence.

“We rolled four-deep,” Larranaga said by phone Wednesday, hours after Walker signed his letter of intent. “I think that made an impression on Lonnie and his family.” 8-)

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.co ... ie-walker/" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I always wonder about reporters who think there are "unsung heroes" in a college basketball player's recruitment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's seriously Miami BASKETBALL donors with pockets that big? Uncle Luke?
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
baconus66 wrote:One guy goes somewhere else and the whole board panics. Last I checked our class looked pretty good with or without Walker. I've got full faith in Miller
Not really seeing a whole board panic. Just some guy who wants to win mythical recruiting class championships.

It sucks...we could always use shooters and he is a defense-ready wing. But if we get Bowen (longshot) instead, it will be a net positive.
My least favorite kind of post is when a couple of people say something and it's interpreted as "the whole board." If people exercised the rest of the their bodies like this, we'd all be on the verge of cardiac arrest. And it wouldn't be because of panic.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:This is an interesting take, and one that I've seen posted a number of times. Right now we've got the top player plus three four stars. Even if we add McCoy I'm not sure it's obviously his best class ever.
I've wondered the same. Ayton must have a lot of pull.

Tarc, Ashley, Jerrett ... all five stars. Two McDonald's AAs. I just figured our ranking was predicated on landing guys early this time, and I expected we would slide down as things went along.

Seems even last year would be better: Ferguson, Simmons, Alkins, Lauri.

(No fair using hindsight.)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miller watched Brian Bowen in Phx today. He should be deciding in a matter of weeks.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Miller watched Brian Bowen in Phx today. He should be deciding in a matter of weeks.
MSU
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Miller watched Brian Bowen in Phx today. He should be deciding in a matter of weeks.
MSU
I don't think so. It may not be Arizona in the end, but I certainly wouldn't call this kid a MSU lock.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Still in on several kids, it seems.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... cts-remain" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Still in on several kids, it seems.

Long shot, but if CSM lands two of those still on the board, we're looking great for next year.

With how many minutes our freshmen are getting this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three go pro. So lots of minutes to go around next season.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Good lord people are gun-shy by early entries, defections, whatever the hell is up w Trier, etc.

We aren't losing all 3 frosh in a loaded draft like this. We will probably lose Lauri and that's it. Outside shot at Kobi but I don't see it. Lots of great athletes that do what he does better and more polished right now. (Just look at the other kid we were supposed to have punching 'Roos right now down under).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Long shot, but if CSM lands two of those still on the board, we're looking great for next year.

With how many minutes our freshmen are getting this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see all three go pro. So lots of minutes to go around next season.
Miller says he's looking for one more. And there's always grad transfers. So probably not as panicked as you are.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Miller says he's looking for one more. And there's always grad transfers. So probably not as panicked as you are.
But at least we can eliminate looking great.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Out of all those guys listed Arizona is really only recruiting two of them and at this point has a reasonable shot at only one of them honestly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So you're make me ask the question?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yup. Pulling four top 80 players, including the #1 player in the class, isn't enough. And one more wouldn't be enough. Maybe TWO more will be enough? But if it happened, would it truly be enough? I mean, we missed on more players than we got. We probably offered 15. And only get 6? That's awful...less than 50%. What kind of coach can't pull 50% of the players he wants? Yeah, he got the #1, but he might not even make it to campus despite saying he is definitely coming to school because something-something-visa issue at home somehow related to not going to college Jerry Meyer-something-something.

We are screwed. Cursed. Damn. Only 4...how can we survive with only four top 80 players?

(BTW...did anyone see Barcello vs Christ The King (NY)? Umm...he might be pretty good)...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:So you're make me ask the question?
You have to beg for your information around here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lol. Bowen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yup. Pulling four top 80 players, including the #1 player in the class, isn't enough. And one more wouldn't be enough. Maybe TWO more will be enough? But if it happened, would it truly be enough? I mean, we missed on more players than we got. We probably offered 15. And only get 6? That's awful...less than 50%. What kind of coach can't pull 50% of the players he wants? Yeah, he got the #1, but he might not even make it to campus despite saying he is definitely coming to school because something-something-visa issue at home somehow related to not going to college Jerry Meyer-something-something.

We are screwed. Cursed. Damn. Only 4...how can we survive with only four top 80 players?
It's a bitter pill to swallow.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No Bowen, no peace.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we keep our current 4 man class and return DR, CC, KP, RA, KS and PJC, we are frightening. Plus Smith becoming eligible.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:No Bowen, no peace.
She was young and beautiful and drowning
And I was the only hero in the crowd
Gave her artificial respiration,
Mouth to mouth resuscitation
Took her home and dried her out
Fed her lots of chicken soup and chocolate
And tucked her right in a feather bed
Nursed her through the night and with the
Morning light she rolled over, looked up
At me and said;

What have you done for me lately
'Cause lately I've been doing without you.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why didn't gumby get rep for that?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Why didn't gumby get rep for that?

Lot of Janet Jackson fans in here I guess
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Why didn't gumby get rep for that?

Lot of Janet Jackson fans in here I guess
Ha! His version is better!
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol. Bowen.

McCoy and Vanderbilt are out??

I realize we aren't going to get Duval and Diallo but I thought, at the very least, we'd be in it for McCoy until he signs.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol. Bowen.

McCoy and Vanderbilt are out??

I realize we aren't going to get Duval and Diallo but I thought, at the very least, we'd be in it for McCoy until he signs.
We have a top 80 PF (Lee), a #1 in the class C that likes PF (Ayton), a junior PF returning (Chance), and likely a C returning (Ristic). I can certainly see why McCoy or Vanderbilt would be shy coming here. We are still technically on both "lists", but that train is leaving...and was never really in the station for Vanderbilt

A pure shooting wing...a Salim type (though those don't just grow on trees), would be the perfect compliment to this class. And is really all we need, unless we can miraculously add a true PG like Duval, because, as we have discussed, a good pure PG is nearly impossible to find.

Randolph is a shooting guard, and a shooter, but it would be nice to have the ability to put super shooters on either wing. Of course, if Rawle keeps growing his long distance game, and comes back (fully expected), if Randolph can hit his shot with the speed of the college game, we will finally have that stretching of the defense that will make Ayton and the rest of the post players free to go to work.

Think of the post/repost vs Mizzou that Kobi ran with Dusan, I think (maybe Chance)....if you can work that two man game and post from the angle, then kick back out to the shooter in the corner and repost down the block a bit deeper, you are making layups or open 3s when the double comes. But to do it, you need a killer shooter.

Channing and Salim ran a post/re-post game that was awesome to watch at times.
Last edited by EVCat on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I miss Salim.