Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

qwertyus

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by qwertyus »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I'm also partial to The Markksman.
Ooh, I like that...
Fits with the White Death, although of course Simo Hayha was famously short, so IDK about that one!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How about Ol' Rye?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:I love that White Death is catching on - pretty sure it started in the Reddit game threads (which are usually pretty fun, feel free to join).

I'm also partial to The Markksman.
Was trying to come up with something like that yesterday and couldnt. I like that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What about Peanut?
gumby

Post by gumby »

What if you pass to Lauri? Helsinki another one!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Loved the passing last night. He'll need to be more of a playmaker now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Loved the passing last night. He'll need to be more of a playmaker now.
I'm guessing we'll spread the floor more and run less ball screens with PJC on the bench. That should allow him to get creative with his passing, especially from the high post.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

El Fin

translated to English it means...

"The End"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Shooting 47% from 3 after last night. Feed him .
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:Loved the passing last night. He'll need to be more of a playmaker now.
Said the same in another thread. We know how the conventional Miller offense works, but unconventional circumstances call for adjustments. He can kill you from deep, he can put the ball on the floor and pull up midrange, finnish, or dish, and he can beat you around the hoop. Almost every time he puts the ball on the floor a second defender has to come help, it's ridiculous. And the best part about all of this.... Lauri has five turnovers in six games and at least three of those are offensive fouls.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Are we sure he isn't the problem?

Seems like since he arrived, players have been falling left and right. Not just in basketball. Does he have access to the water supply? The equipment room? He could be a low key serial, well, not killer, but serial eliminator? Or black majik practitioner?

When did he get on campus? Was he here when the ball bounced just right off the left field wall to stop the tying run from scoring in Omaha? Seems like our program has been on a steady decline across the board since the rain postponed CWS Championship game 3 and our insane pitching advantage...

Do Fins do voodoo?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

EVCat wrote:Are we sure he isn't the problem?

Seems like since he arrived, players have been falling left and right. Not just in basketball. Does he have access to the water supply? The equipment room? He could be a low key serial, well, not killer, but serial eliminator? Or black majik practitioner?

When did he get on campus? Was he here when the ball bounced just right off the left field wall to stop the tying run from scoring in Omaha? Seems like our program has been on a steady decline across the board since the rain postponed CWS Championship game 3 and our insane pitching advantage...

Do Fins do voodoo?
Dude. This is just bad luck. The only possible problem is Russian ancestry. God help you if you have ANY affiliation with Yousef Stalin. *HEAD SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!*
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Is it possible to have an "off" game like Lauri did (by his standards) and still have your stock rise? He was the best Arizona defender tonight. Karnowsky did close to nothing when Lauri was on him, Lauri wouldnt even let him have the ball. He had multiple strong defensive possessions against guys 7 or 8 inches shorter than him. The open 3 was not there at all all game and he still found ways to help keep his team in it in the second half. And he did it with his dribble. When he went through the legs and shimmied the 6'3 Perkins out of his jock strap, GMs creamed themselves.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Is it possible to have an "off" game like Lauri did (by his standards) and still have your stock rise? He was the best Arizona defender tonight. Karnowsky did close to nothing when Lauri was on him, Lauri wouldnt even let him have the ball. He had multiple strong defensive possessions against guys 7 or 8 inches shorter than him. The open 3 was not there at all all game and he still found ways to help keep his team in it in the second half. And he did it with his dribble. When he went through the legs and shimmied the 6'3 Perkins out of his jock strap, GMs creamed themselves.
The game is a lot easier for him when his teammates can actually get him the ball in the right places.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. Im not sure he had more than one or two open shots all game
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Lauri is an absolute stud. Off game tonight, though. It happens. Cats never stopped fighting. Characteristic of a Miller coached team. Just wish someone could have gotten hot tonight.

Go Cats!!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He missed a few uncharacteristic shots early that werent gimmies and a free throw. A game where the box scote looks bad, but he had tough shots all game. It was just a night where we needed him to be superman and hit most of them. Like choo said, really not his fault. You take away his D tonight the loss deficit somewhere around 20.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man he had a dog poop game shooting. Love the guy, but today was disappointing on the offensive side. He's D was clutch though.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

The smaller guy they had guarding him the whole game gave him fits. Expect to see more of that until the guards come back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catstatic wrote:Lauri is an absolute stud. Off game tonight, though. It happens. Cats never stopped fighting. Characteristic of a Miller coached team. Just wish someone could have gotten hot tonight.

Go Cats!!
I don't think any NBA scouts in attendance were disappointed. Reminded me of Richard Jefferson, offensive game wasn't going so he concentrated on defense. Bilas was impressed.
gumby

Post by gumby »

whatisee wrote:The smaller guy they had guarding him the whole game gave him fits. Expect to see more of that until the guards come back.
This. Gonzaga plan was no threes, on his hip on the perimeter and force him left on the drive. If that continues. he'll need to screen a lot and set up on the block more.

If we get the two guards back, I can see four guards and him as the only big in certain situations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
whatisee wrote:The smaller guy they had guarding him the whole game gave him fits. Expect to see more of that until the guards come back.
This. Gonzaga plan was no threes, on his hip on the perimeter and force him left on the drive. If that continues. he'll need to screen a lot and set up on the block more.
He's been perimeter oriented. Having a post counter against a scheme like Zaga's is that next step.

He can do it. Considering the lineup instability, Lauri is the last guy we need to worry about taking the next step.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Plus, the next step is traveling.

Be here all week. Try the pickled herring!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kid is so smart. Nearly Every time he got the ball on the wing he looked down to the low post. Crazy that a 7 foot freshman had more entry passes tonight than any guard/wing we have had for a while, save TJ.

PS. He is massive. Was in the third row tonight, his skills and athleticism for his size are even more ridiculous up close. I remember having floor seats for a Suns vs Wolves game early in KG's careeer and watching him tonight reminded me a lot of that. Ill have to get a pic up tomorrow
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

His ability to put the ball on the deck, pull up and hit a jumper, or finnish at the rim is unreal.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He needs about 5 more shots a game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg wrote:He needs about 5 more shots a game.
Even though I would rather Lauri shot a contested shot than seeing Pinder shooting a 5 footer, I like that LM isn't forcing things and letting the game come to him.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Lauri Markkanen = 1.63 points/field goal attempt

Keanu Pinder = 1.81 points/field goal attempt
gumby

Post by gumby »

Clearly, we need to devise plays for Pinder. Stats don't lie! Quit hogging the ball, Lauri!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:He needs about 5 more shots a game.
He needs 10 more touches a game. If he wants to turn half of those into shots, I'm cool with that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well, Pinder doesn't have a thread. But man, I like Pinder. He'd drive me nuts on a conference foe. Especially a Howland-coached UCLA from a decade ago.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Clearly, we need to devise plays for Pinder. Stats don't lie! Quit hogging the ball, Lauri!

Haven't seen a single play called for Pinder, although he often thinks so. At least he didn't try for any 3s this game.

Just a garbage guy, which I mean as a complement.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:Clearly, we need to devise plays for Pinder. Stats don't lie! Quit hogging the ball, Lauri!
Haven't seen a single play called for Pinder, although he often thinks so. At least he didn't try for any 3s this game.

Just a garbage guy, which I mean as a complement.
Pinder's the kind of guy you never run a play for. That is also a compliment.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

KaibabKat wrote:Lauri Markkanen = 1.63 points/field goal attempt

Keanu Pinder = 1.81 points/field goal attempt
Here is the context for everyone...

Pinder has scored 38 points, has taken 21 shots, has grabbed 14 offensive rebounds, and is 13/20 from the free-throw line. He has 4 offensive rebound put backs at the rim, and converted on all of them. Equation solved. If he grabs an offensive rebound, he better be going back up with it, because he's making good things happen with that extra possession.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lauri through 9 games :shock:

160P 65R 14A 7B 51-98FGs 19-41Threes 39-44FTs

17.8P 7.2R 1.6A 52%FG 46%3P 89%FT

12 home games left for him :cry:
rgdeuce wrote:Kid is so smart. Nearly Every time he got the ball on the wing he looked down to the low post. Crazy that a 7 foot freshman had more entry passes tonight than any guard/wing we have had for a while, save TJ.
All while being guarded by guys almost a foot shorter than him. Why doesn't he post up at 5-7' out? Hes got size and skill on literally everyone that guards him. He could easily be averaging 25/game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lauri continues to rise in the draft and have a massive PER.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow no Trier ^

NBADraft.net has Lauri at 21st and Alonzo at 45th
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This draft class is so damn good its ridiculous. I see someone nabbing Lauri before 8th, but dude would already be talked about as a consensus 1 or 2 pick in most other drafts
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:Wow no Trier ^

NBADraft.net has Lauri at 21st and Alonzo at 45th
NBADraft.net is like that station in the middle of rural Kansas in the days of radio shaping music tastes...the one that started playing the "new" cut by Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer" right about the time Kurt Cobain was killing himself.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:Well, Pinder doesn't have a thread. But man, I like Pinder. He'd drive me nuts on a conference foe. Especially a Howland-coached UCLA from a decade ago.
Pinder is exactly what this team needs. I am a big fan of Pinder and what he brings to the table. He will go a long way to winning a few tight games, especially with a depleted roster.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Time to recognize Lauri Markkanen's name and game
It's been all about the talented point guards, the injuries to the Duke freshman trio and, of course, the Kentucky Wildcats' youngsters.

Lost in the talk of first-year players has been the stellar play of Finnish 7-footer Lauri Markkanen,who, with the absence of Allonzo Trier, has quickly and quietly become the focal point of the Arizona offense.

Markkanen checks in averaging 17.8 PPG, third in the Pac-12, and is fifth in the league in 3-point shooting (46 percent) while also averaging 7.2 rebounds. He has only seven turnovers in the first nine games.

"I think part of the reason is I'm from Europe," Markkanen said of being fairly anonymous on the national landscape thus far. "People don't actually know who I am, but I'm not worried about that. I honestly don't care."

His name gets butchered, and he rarely corrects those who say his name as "Laurie."
It's pronounced "L-Ow-Ree MARK-a-nin."

You may want to learn it now, because as one NBA executive told me, "he's going to be in the NBA for a long, long time." Another who saw him in person recently added that he isn't just going to be in the league for a while, "he may wind up being an NBA All-Star."

When Sean Miller recruited the 230-pounder, he had to beat out Roy Williams and North Carolina, which is no easy task to begin with but was more daunting because Williams coached Pekka Markkanen, Lauri's father, as a player at Kansas in 1989-90.

The younger Markkanen chose Arizona because he felt comfortable, and it didn't hurt that Arizona was losing three frontcourt guys: leading scorer Ryan Anderson, starting center Kaleb Tarczewski and reserve forward Mark Tollefsen.

Without Trier for the first nine games of the season, it hasn't taken long for Miller to alter his offense to run through his skilled import big man.

"When they recruited me, they told me I'd have a chance to play right away," said Markkanen, 19. "But honestly, I didn't expect this. Obviously, Trier not playing gives me more shots, but I've still been surprised about my role."

Miller quickly realized how talented Markkanen was after he arrived in the summer, but what has blown away the Arizona coach is his work ethic and maturity.

"He's got a terrific mental makeup and drive," Miller said. "He's a relentless worker and approaches the game as if he's a senior. He's the real thing."

Markkanen grew up three hours north of Helsinki in the town of Jyvaskyla, which has been nicknamed the Athens of Finland for its major role as an educational center. He spent the past two seasons at Helsinki Basketball Academy, where he was coached by former Utah standout and NBA forward Hanno Mottola, arguably the most notable player in the history of Finnish hoops.

That honor could easily wind up falling to Markkanen in time.

Mottola spent four seasons under Rick Majerus at Utah from 1996 to 2000 and was drafted in the second round with the 40th overall pick -- but wound up spending just two seasons in the NBA with the Atlanta Hawks.

Markkanen is considered a potential lottery pick and has drawn comparisons from some to Dirk Nowitzki for his size and scoring ability.

"Most of us knew all about him from the U20 championships, but he's made a quicker adjustment than I thought to college ball," one NBA general manager said.

"What he does as a 7-footer is unique," Miller added. "He can shoot it, handle the ball, pass and can move on the defensive end."
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... anded-role" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thanks for posting.

NBA execs: "He's going to be in the NBA for a long, long time." "He may wind up being an NBA All-Star." "Most of us knew all about him from the U20 championships, but he's made a quicker adjustment than I thought to college ball."

Miller: "He's got a terrific mental makeup and drive." "He's a relentless worker and approaches the game as if he's a senior. He's the real thing." "What he does as a 7-footer is unique. He can shoot it, handle the ball, pass and can move on the defensive end."

At this point, Lauri looks like the most confident, experienced and comfortable Wildcat on the floor, which says a lot because I think highly of Kadeem in those regards. Is that intelligence, being a quick learner, hard work, unflappability, or just sheer talent? I really think it is all of the above and plus a few I can't think of right now. Regardless of how deep this draft is, I think even Draft Express having him at #8 in their mock is still too conservative, we will have to see who picks where.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so much fun watching lauri play, though it looked a little bit like fatigue and maybe the process of gearing up for his first college finals may have slightly slowed his roll these past couple of games. granted, he still had a solid performance vs. uci and an awesome second half because he's LmfM, but three games coming in the next week with two on the road right in the middle of final exams will be tough. i also worry that the grind of the season will take a toll on lauri. he's our clearly mvp but it'll be tough to carry the team through march at this pace. we need both 'zo and PJC back in the lineup. also, the sky is blue. :D
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

1 more year! Say it with me now. 1 more year!
gumby

Post by gumby »

worst player on the floor
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:worst player on the floor
I thought PJC played worse, personally.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:worst player on the floor
I thought PJC played worse, personally.
Agree - contributed nothing
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We need to figure out how to keep LM on the floor. We can't have him sidelined by fouls. Sometimes he may need to just let people score. Especially guys like that Giest guy today. Fuck that guy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah. The underneath fouls, no excuse. Just stand still and reach straight up. On the perimeter, going to be a problem while short-handed.

More zone.