Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:No way Barcello starts over PJC :lol: People are acting like the dude was playing like dog shit before his ankle injury too. He was like 2nd in the conference in assists and assist to turnover ratio IIRC, some things were starting to click nicely on offense, and he was becoming more aggressive. It would take a top 10 level, pure point guard to take away PJCs starting role as a senior. Even then, we know how Miller is loyal to those who stick around for four years, so who knows, said freshman would have to be doing a lot of things.
I think it's intentional that Miller took a 70ish PG going into PJC's senior year. If Barcello develops, maybe we don't look for an immediate starter in 18-19. If Barcello looks like a JR/SR contributor, we go hard at the pg's we're recruiting in '18. Either way, next year is PJC with Barcello doing what he can as backup.
I think the overall plan is land a high level pure point guard in '18 I.E. Brandon Williams and utilize Barcello as your combo guard a la Kadeem Allen or Nick Johnson or numerous others.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Alex definitely shows combo guard scoring ability, though his size does not suggest classic wing, as his documented 6'2" is maybe rounded up a bit.

I certainly hope we pursue highly rated point guards, and that Miller never again holds back in a class for fear of upsetting the existing PG/PG family.

The reality plays itself out on the court, though, and sometimes a lower rated player comes in and is clearly better than his higher rated counterparts. Not often...the ratings are, especially in basketball, usually pretty accurate. I think Alex's ceiling was more in the 45-55 range nationally if he had stepped out and played elite level games earlier. I do think Miller's intent at this point is to try to make Alex into a point guard first. But there is no reason for a program of our caliber to not recruit the best possible players at need positions whenever we can have success, not backing off until it is known we have the position filled capably. And PG has not been so mastered by anyone on this team enough to feel comfortable, and certainly you would not stop pursuing the very best we can get in here based on the signing of Alex Barcello.

I just, personally, think Alex brings some additional to the table that is not well known. That's a personal bias, for sure, but I am also a fan of this program first. But, shit yeah...go get Brandon Williams. Let the players fight it out on the court. Competition for every starting position. I do think Alex will be playable immediately, but I don't know that he will ever be a star. I think he needs minutes at 1 and 2 to be a contributor, because I cannot see him being a pure 2.

Best case scenario is PJC comes back, and soon, shows the maturation we saw in the pre-injury performance, and runs point from the second he steps back on the court until his final game in 2018.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:Best case scenario is PJC comes back, and soon, shows the maturation we saw in the pre-injury performance, and runs point from the second he steps back on the court until his final game in 2018.
Yep. He was having his best college season at the time of the injury, and if he continues on that trajectory, it would mean good things for '18. It's always an edge to have a senior PG.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Yep. He was having his best college season at the time of the injury, and if he continues on that trajectory, it would mean good things for '18. It's always an edge to have a senior PG.
When you avg 2 and 1 and then 5 and 3 its not all that hard playing 29 minutes a game surrounded by future pro's

Kick him while he's down! I cant wait to see him back on the court though
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:No way Barcello starts over PJC :lol: People are acting like the dude was playing like dog shit before his ankle injury too. He was like 2nd in the conference in assists and assist to turnover ratio IIRC, some things were starting to click nicely on offense, and he was becoming more aggressive. It would take a top 10 level, pure point guard to take away PJCs starting role as a senior. Even then, we know how Miller is loyal to those who stick around for four years, so who knows, said freshman would have to be doing a lot of things.
I don't think it will happen. It would mean we have some issues, like I said.

But the opportunity comes from game play. If PJC is struggling and his backup comes in and performs, loyalty will go out the door. If rankings are accurate, yes, I would agree with you. If Barcello is underrated due to his late emergence in the elite AAU circuit, we really wouldn't know until he proves it.

As long as PJC plays well, of course, he is going to be the starter. My side of this is purely in thinking Barcello is underrated and is being automatically put in the '4 year player, won't contribute for a while' box. I think he is better than a lot of people think. But certainly, if PJC is playing at the level he was playing pre-conference, and carries that on true road trips...which still remains the mysterious stumbling block for him until he proves otherwise...then he is clearly the starter. And he is clearly the starter at the beginning of the season, regardless of practice play, because he has proven it. If Barcello ever starts for us at point in 2017-18, as I said, it either means he was way underrated and is a superstar, or we are in trouble because PJC is struggling or hurt.
I do think Alex is capable of contributing , tho.
Not that I disagree with that philosophy at all, but PJC would really need to stink up the place for an extended period and Alex would need to show consistency. Miller was VERY loyal to York last year and he did a lot of things that probably warranted the leash being tightened at least a little.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

From what I hear about Borcello, he sounds like a diamond in the rough type of player. A lot of people I trust are really high on the kid and have said some really remarkable things about him. I've seen the baby Nash comparisons and you obviously take that every time as long as he can defend adequately. I mean, TJ adjusted to Arizona's style but he still had quite a bit of that in him, you see it more now that he is in Philly. So combine that with a guy that is going to probably be here 4 years and be a huge contributor as an upperclassmen, perfect fit and a win-win situation.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:From what I hear about Borcello, he sounds like a diamond in the rough type of player. A lot of people I trust are really high on the kid and have said some really remarkable things about him. So combine that with a guy that is going to probably be here 4 years and be a huge contributor as an upperclassmen, perfect fit and a win-win situation.
That's a fair assessment. He is a kid from an upper middle class family who went K-8 to a small Catholic school in Chandler and played club ball with his friends, some of whom went to Seton. When Seton didn't hire his club coach, it gave the family a good reason to go elsewhere (all of his sisters have played at Seton Catholic and won state titles. That little Catholic school has won like 5 of the last 6 state titles and ended last year ranked 8th in the country and returned everyone this year, including another Barcello, who happens to be the state player of the year. They have already beat the #3 and #16 teams in the nation this season. And there is another girl Barcello on the way to Seton next year). Alex got some attention, but he was not looking to ball out with the top travelling teams, and liked playing for his coach, Brad Pinter, now the Basha coach. So he didn't get a ton of attention, but was definitely known in middle school. Here's his 6th grade club team...I recognize a number of the kids names, and know Pinter from coaching family, but that isn't exactly Oakland Soldiers (scroll to Arizona Crusaders)

http://application.aausports.org/sba/pd ... 135314.pdf

Even at Corona, he shows up, starts quite a bit as a freshman, but that was Casey Benson's team. Then, he kills it for another title, but Bagley was there, so Alex got overshadowed. He was still being recruited heavily by Stanford and Virginia, and was a Stanford lock until the staff shakeup there. He is a kid that didn't get involved with the shoe/tournament circuit in a big way until late. So he came on late. The eye opener was his performance with Oakland Soldiers.

So I think it is fair to say he is a diamond in the rough? Or more like a late bloomer on the national scene. He has been playing well for a while, but didn't show it at the national elite level until later in life because his family was more guarded than that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want him. Sounds like a perfect Miller player.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I expect it to be PJC, but Payton Pritchard is getting more minutes than Casey Benson, and Benson was good last year. Who saw that coming? Not me.

Barcello and Pritchard have similar backgrounds. Dominant home-state guards on elite teams. Pritchard that much better than Barcello? I know he was ranked higher as a high school senior.

Was Benson better as a high school player than Barcello?
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EVCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: So I think it is fair to say he is a diamond in the rough? Or more like a late bloomer on the national scene. He has been playing well for a while, but didn't show it at the national elite level until later in life because his family was more guarded than that.
That is the same thing to me. He had it, just needed to be cut/polished aka to get out and do his thing on the AAU circuit and step out of the shadow of other players.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:I expect it to be PJC, but Payton Pritchard is getting more minutes than Casey Benson, and Benson was good last year. Who saw that coming? Not me.

Barcello and Pritchard have similar backgrounds. Dominant home-state guards on elite teams. Pritchard that much better than Barcello? I know he was ranked higher as a high school senior.

Was Benson better as a high school player than Barcello?
I forgot who said it, but one of the experts was REALLY high on this kid last spring. I mean really high. And I saw a few TJ McConnell but with a better shot comparisons too.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Benson was 2 time player of the year in Arizona, but there are years where that can happen with a kid who is not a D1 superstar...

Corona was a beast at that time under the Duane coaching tree. They won like 4 in a row and 5 of 6...
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:Benson was 2 time player of the year in Arizona, but there are years where that can happen with a kid who is not a D1 superstar...

Corona was a beast at that time under the Duane coaching tree. They won like 4 in a row and 5 of 6...
Right. Like "the next Sean Elliott," Deron Johnson.

Thanks!
Right where I want to be.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Does he see the court tonight?

If he does it will just be to give our guards a quick blow. Cal hits the glass as well as anyone so we need as much rebounding support as possible from KD, RA and KS.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

After watching this week's presser, my guess is he sees very limited minutes, maybe 5 minutes or so. It really depends on how much pain he has had in the last few practices.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What, 20 to 22 minutes? Looked like it held up pretty well. We'll see how sore it is for the stanford game
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought he played really well. My only wish is that when teams show that 2-3 zone that he dribble drive to the free throw line before making the pass as the defense collapses. He keeps stopping his drive too far out and the angles make it easier to defend. Oh, and I wish that he would put on ten pounds.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yep, pleasantly surprised with him last night. He looked like he was at about 75%. He definitely needs to drive more like he did early on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

4 assists and zero turnovers in 20 minutes. Great game for his first one back I thought.

Looks like they held him to a strict 20 minute guideline as we could have used him in that last minute with the ball in his hands
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He also didn't force anything which I thought was important.

4 assists, 3 rebounds, ZERO turnovers and a key backdoor layup which was sweet.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Really odd how some are quiet when he helps in a big road win to open PAC play.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

As he goes, so does the team. Said that after Butler, and still believe it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was in downtown Tucson last Thursday and PJC and his girl walked right by me. I looked at him, he looked at me, then he limped on by.

Had no idea what the protocol is for running into UA sports figures. Really wanted to get a selfie with him, but chickened out.

Probably something I will always regret.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I was in downtown Tucson last Thursday and PJC and his girl walked right by me. I looked at him, he looked at me, then he limped on by.

Had no idea what the protocol is for running into UA sports figures. Really wanted to get a selfie with him, but chickened out.

Should have gone for it Merk. My son got a pic with him at that party where Stanley got in a fight. Nice kid.
The only player you'd be taller than.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:I was in downtown Tucson last Thursday and PJC and his girl walked right by me. I looked at him, he looked at me, then he limped on by.

Most Cats are either nice enough to take a moment for a pic and not look like you ruined their day, or will engage you in a way you will want to run to tell everyone about because u were so impressed. Most recognize and appreciate the support and know a second can make someones year. Just use good judgment w the timing (eg when they arent sitting down shoving a burger in their face) and use a, "Hey Parker, you got a second for a quick picture?" Last season, his dad actually approached my son and I to compliment us on our Jordans and was the nicest dude ever, Im sure the apple doesnt fall far from the tree

I'm trying my hardest to think of a Sean Miller recruit who was a jerk and I cant think of one right now (never crossed paths w Josiah Turner). I dont hold it against Lute, but I can pop off quite a few from his teams who were pretty bad. And I have only asked maybe 2 or 3 for pics in my life, I usually just say a quick whats up. Then you got guys like Edgerson, Geary, Corey Williams who will shake your hand, ask your name and start a convo w you. Im sure those dudes like being recognized and are grateful for the opportunities they had. Even guys like Simon and Terry (who have reps) will chat it up for a few if you throw them a simple Bear Down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Was in tucson for the holidays, ran into Book at Target and wanted to shoot the shit with him, but he was on the phone so I didn't want to bug him. He was nice enough to ask me how I was doing as he could tell I recognized him.

Sorry, that PJC dad story reminded me of that, now back to PJC stuff.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Hell yes Parker! We need this out of him all year
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You've got to be kidding me.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Throws perfect entry passes
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Best interior distribution by an AZ PG since Damon...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How many assists in a half? The surgical slicing through the 3-2 zone. The incredible passing all around. The poise and the command.

I had never seen the potential to play like this.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Zoom
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I hope he can be consistent with this to make teams think twice about playing zone against us
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stud. Surgical Precision.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Longhorned wrote:How many assists in a half? The surgical slicing through the 3-2 zone. The incredible passing all around. The poise and the command.

7 assists to 0 TOS!!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:How many assists in a half? The surgical slicing through the 3-2 zone. The incredible passing all around. The poise and the command.

7 assists to 0 TOS!!!!!
It's ridiculous, and more so because he looks like those stats. He could have had a couple more, too.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

9 assists to 0 TOS!!!!!
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

9 Ast 0 TO 4 points 2 steals 3 rbs

PJC is back!!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Great game PJC!!! Very impressive and this kind of PG play will take us very deep :-)
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Make me happy to come to this thread. Parker done good, real good. Mvp
Bangkok Wildcat

Lute4God wrote:Make me happy to come to this thread. Parker done good, real good. Mvp
Other than him missing a few shots 2-5, and his only FT :-(.....in 27 minutes he played about as awesome an offensive game as we could possibly ever hope for.

Wonder what his Bird score is. KaibabKat always posts these on the Scout site after every game...would be cool if he did so here too.

Anyways, PJC, you da Man! Hell of a game young stud!
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

What an awesome game.

Nine dimes, no TOs, 2 snatches, 3 boards, 2/5 from the field. Good grief, little dude was smoking!

I'd love to see a put-together of tonight's Assists. My favorite was a tall toss to Ristic in the first half which split two tall defensive players who were fronting all over Dusan just to the right of the basket.
Last edited by EOCT on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol:

People have been trying to say it throughout the time he was out. This is nothing new, PJC was doing some great shit in the games preceding the injury. Hes doing this with no shot pretty much all season too. He'll need to get that going eventually. The entry passes though, not gonna lie, been a long time since ive seen a clinic like that in an Arizona uniform.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Tipping my hat. Nice numbers last night for PJ. Ya done good kid.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He was great last night, but he was significantly better in the first half than the second. Have to wonder if there wasn't some fatigue setting in after not playing/practicing for a month.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:He was great last night, but he was significantly better in the first half than the second. Have to wonder if there wasn't some fatigue setting in after not playing/practicing for a month.
I think his free throw attempt confirmed that...
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

baconus66 wrote:9 Ast 0 TO 4 points 2 steals 3 rbs

PJC is back!!!
and as good or better than ever. But this was at home. I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
Don't die easy, Dave!
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:I'll temper my enthusiasm a little because I remember last year when he was two different players at McKale and away in the conference.
Don't die easy, Dave!
Yeah, thanks for the flick in the nuts DD, lol.....I'm hoping, as evidenced by last week, his road trip issues are behind him.

Also, saw his interview after Utah (and have been thinking this all year), he seems to have really matured and comes across so 'even-keeled' and color me impressed. How awesome would it be if he had a truly outstanding year leading us to......dare I say it????, no I won't jinx it. Just leave it as I hope he has his breakout year this year....he's due.

Bear Down PJC.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All the PJC haters have disappeared, including 97.