What's up with the 8pm starts?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

What's up with the 8pm starts?

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't really mind cause we're good to go from a PST standpoint, but why the 8pm MST starts? I thought they used to be 7pm in Tucson. If anything it would be better for the late nighters on the east coast.

It's serious bollocks how the PAC-12 schedules CATS FB and BB
Jefe

Re: What's up with the 8pm starts?

Post by Jefe »

TV money. We have had 10a starts and 9p starts this season. Its all over the place
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Tell me about it. I dont miss home games unless I am so sick I cant move, and I already gave away the tickets to the 9:00 WEEKDAY game vs GCU and there is at least one more 9:00 coming. The 8:00 games are nearly as bad. I have to haul a 4-year-old who walks at turtle speed out of the arena when he is tired, walk to my car, wait in line to exit the parking garage, and then drive home. Factor is pissing and teeth brushing, my kids going to bed at 11:15 or 11:30 in his Arizona gear. He fell asleep at halftime during the CSB game :lol: The other option is the kid stays home and has his heart crushed when he sees daddy leaving in his Arizona gear (happened a couple of times already). Half the experience for me is sharing the experience with my boys, so the late starts infuriate me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I can see the late starts for the football program, no one wants to see a sucky team, so the football Cats were generally last picked.

Guess being a national broadcast on FS1 apparently has a lot of impact on west coast teams.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One issue is that we're regarded as a Pacific team, but not on the Pacific time zone. We get west coast slotted, but it's an hour later in Tucson. That 7, 7:30 bump to 8, 8:30 makes a big difference.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hear you RG.

I watch every game with my daughter (really her only "screen time"). And she loves it! At 2yr 4mo says "bear down", "go cats", and "are we watching bb tonight daddy?" Also only claps when the cats have the ball on offense! Lol

I have another daughter on the way, and doubt we'll go for number three, so I'm gonna to do my best to raise some cats fans, even if we won't be able to share the father son thing.

We do toddler parent soccer so there is that.

Exactly spiff, I feel for you guys and would be pissed in I was in Arizona. I could do a 6pm 630 start here in Cali easy; dinner in the family room!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:I hear you RG.

I watch every game with my daughter (really her only "screen time"). And she loves it! At 2yr 4mo says "bear down", "go cats", and "are we watching bb tonight daddy?" Also only claps when the cats have the ball on offense! Lol

I have another daughter on the way, and doubt we'll go for number three, so I'm gonna to do my best to raise some cats fans, even if we won't be able to share the father son thing.

Exactly spiff, I feel for you guys and would be pissed in I was in Arizona. I could do a 6pm 630 start here in Cali easy; dinner in the family room!
Congrats. I stopped at two, I don't know how people have any more. :lol: My youngest is 20 months old. He has only been to two games this year (made almost all of them last year), but he loves them. When the crowd erupts after a big dunk, he acts like they are all cheering for him and he gets this smile from ear to ear and claps frantically. He can also do the "U of A" chant.

Please let me know if you are ever in Tucson. I'd be more than happy to give you my tickets for a game so you could take your daughter.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Really tough for those of us who drive down from Phoenix. I have to stay over night for the 9pm starts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

rgdeuce wrote:Tell me about it. I dont miss home games unless I am so sick I cant move, and I already gave away the tickets to the 9:00 WEEKDAY game vs GCU and there is at least one more 9:00 coming. The 8:00 games are nearly as bad. I have to haul a 4-year-old who walks at turtle speed out of the arena when he is tired, walk to my car, wait in line to exit the parking garage, and then drive home. Factor is pissing and teeth brushing, my kids going to bed at 11:15 or 11:30 in his Arizona gear. He fell asleep at halftime during the CSB game :lol: The other option is the kid stays home and has his heart crushed when he sees daddy leaving in his Arizona gear (happened a couple of times already). Half the experience for me is sharing the experience with my boys, so the late starts infuriate me.

All of this is an issue and while GB can't do much about it he needs to hear it and then we need a guy at the top of the conference (F U Larry "corrupt" Scott) who could make the PAC network profitable where we dictate the times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

rgdeuce wrote:

Congrats. I stopped at two, I don't know how people have any more. :lol:

Same here. At three you have to switch from man-to-man to zone. No thanks.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My infant wakes up at 5 AM or earlier, so the 10 PM CST starts kill me. The worst part is how worked up you get during the game. If the game ends at midnight, you can't just close your eyes and fall asleep while ventilating with your heart pounding and sweat is running down your brow.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:

My infant wakes up at 5 AM or earlier, so the 10 PM CST starts kill me. The worst part is how worked up you get during the game. If the game ends at midnight, you can't just close your eyes and fall asleep while ventilating with your heart pounding and sweat is running down your brow.
I'm in the same boat. I'm up an hour after every game, usually chatting with you guys. So a 12:30 final buzzer means I'm fucked.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Im in the same boat as u guys. I have to come here and see what everyone had to say about the game, and in games that are a bit closer the adrenaline and excitement have me wide awake
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I have no kids and it's rough. I also hate fs1. Bad times and I feel like they have actively rooted against Az enough to scar me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I live far enough away that I can watch pretty much any time without someone ruining the ending. The 8 pm starts -- 7 pm for me -- are my favorites for watching live. Time to get home, change, eat.

If it's 6 pm PST, I'm watching off DVR. If we struggle, I fast-forward. No way am I wasting two hours on a loss.

I got a late start last night, so when we were down 15-10, I zipped ahead to see us up 33-27. So rolled it back. :)

Life is too short for losses!
Right where I want to be.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

UAEebs86 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Congrats. I stopped at two, I don't know how people have any more. :lol:

Same here. At three you have to switch from man-to-man to zone. No thanks.
:lol:

Who is trying to screen you? The grandparents?