Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Main Event

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by Main Event »

I think maybe 2 of those calls were actual fouls. Hopefully he doesn't turn into Ashley where he gets fouls for breathing
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Dagger
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last foul was def a block. Pretty stupid. Miller was pissed at him when he walked off the court, didn't even look at him.
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

He does get a lot of cheap stupid fouls. Need to give him the ball more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He'll learn. It's a process.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The game against Butler he got screwed but today the fouls were mostly legit. At least 4 of 5 were.

Both times he tried to take charges he was late and first one he Clearly hip checked and 2nd one he was in restricted area.

Then he reached on baseline on one where if he stays straight up it's a noncall and no way dude makes it. Then on his last foul he def bumped dude going baseline. It was stupid.

The other foul was prob a bad call but 4 out of 5 were ok. He needs to learn he's too valuable for our O to be neutralized by out of position fouls. If he's late getting there u have to let it go and hope a teammate can pick u up w help side D. He will get there.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

No way the baseline drive was a foul, Lauri played it about as well as you can, kept his hands up, moving backwards, hips squared. The offensive player was completely bailed out on that call, same as the little white dude when he drove and took the little pull up on the side of the lane.

The charge calls were both right, and I don't remember the 5th foul but at least two were awful calls
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The "little white dude" one wouldn't have been a foul if he just kept his hands straight up. Kadeem told him that exact thing right after. White dude wasn't making it either way. Gotta be smarter than that. He's too important to put himself in position to get whistled there.

The baseline one was close but although he was square he kind of nudged him to where kid was either gonna go OB on baseline, or ref had to all bump. He did throw some crazy last second pass but ref felt he had to call something. Very weak 5th foul but imo, Lauri has to understand time and situation there and let kid tip toe by him and hope Chance or someone else rotates from help side.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Decent Bleacher Report write up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2681 ... -porzingis
"This kid is a stud," an NBA executive told Bleacher Report. "I've watched him over seven times—his skill level and soft touch from outside are things one can't teach. Get guys to have him lower so we can steal him."
But...
"I know the easy comparison [for Markkanen] is Porzingis, but we really don't see him with that upside," one general manager said. "There are concerns, as with many European big men, of their ability to rebound in the physical nature of the NBA. And we don't currently project Lauri to be a plus rebounder or interior defender.

"We see him as more of a role player, sixth man, scoring threat off the bench, with an ability to become a Channing Frye-type of player, which I know isn't how the Arizona coaching staff sees Lauri. But once he fills out we see him as more of an offensive-oriented perimeter-type player."
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

He's definitely not Porzingis, but he's also far more skilled than Frye has ever been.

Get him in the right system with a really good guard and he will thrive offensively. Its easy to look past his ability to put the ball on the deck, but I have been most impressed with that aspect of his game. He can go right or left, two dribbles to the rim, and also pull up for a jumper.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:He's definitely not Porzingis, but he's also far more skilled than Frye has ever been.

Get him in the right system with a really good guard and he will thrive offensively. Its easy to look past his ability to put the ball on the deck, but I have been most impressed with that aspect of his game. He can go right or left, two dribbles to the rim, and also pull up for a jumper.
You can improve on areas like toughness, physicality, rebounding and D. Those are frequently growth areas for an 18 year old.

You can't teach someone to be 7 foot and have dexterity and a shooting stroke like Lauri. I used Bargnani as an average comparison point. I would stand by that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
"I know the easy comparison [for Markkanen] is Porzingis, but we really don't see him with that upside," one general manager said. "There are concerns, as with many European big men, of their ability to rebound in the physical nature of the NBA. And we don't currently project Lauri to be a plus rebounder or interior defender.

"We see him as more of a role player, sixth man, scoring threat off the bench, with an ability to become a Channing Frye-type of player, which I know isn't how the Arizona coaching staff sees Lauri. But once he fills out we see him as more of an offensive-oriented perimeter-type player."
Even Jesus himself would tip his cap to a 7 footer who shoots the 3 like a guard, can put the ball on the floor and has plus athleticism for a 7 footer, AND is a plus rebounder and interior defender. Clearly that GM expects a lot from his 7 footers. :lol:

He did an exceptional job defender Karnowski, a skilled 5th-year senior who is also 7 feet and has 70 pounds on him, and he did it not even 1/4 of the way through his freshman season. The GM is acting like there are handfuls of Charles Barkley's and Karl Malones playing the 4 these days.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Even Jesus himself would tip his cap to a 7 footer who shoots the 3 like a guard, can put the ball on the floor and has plus athleticism for a 7 footer, AND is a plus rebounder and interior defender. Clearly that GM expects a lot from his 7 footers. :lol:

He did an exceptional job defender Karnowski, a skilled 5th-year senior who is also 7 feet and has 70 pounds on him, and he did it not even 1/4 of the way through his freshman season. The GM is acting like there are handfuls of Charles Barkley's and Karl Malones playing the 4 these days.

Shit I hope all GMs see him that way. Maybe he slips out the lotto and comes back w Ayton to form the most dominant front court of all time. Hey a kid can dream cant he???

I realize it's a pipe dream. I'm just hoping somehow he loves college and his dad encourages him to come
back one more year to solidify his staying power in nba since he has been there and the rush for first contract isn't as much as a family struggling to get by.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

When simmons, rawle and kadeem are driving into the lane, why don't they kick it back out to Lauri more often? Our best 3 pt shooter. Seems like he needs more touches and he looked open often when not getting the ball. Am I missing something?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Shit I hope all GMs see him that way. Maybe he slips out the lotto and comes back w Ayton to form the most dominant front court of all time. Hey a kid can dream cant he???

I realize it's a pipe dream. I'm just hoping somehow he loves college and his dad encourages him to come
back one more year to solidify his staying power in nba since he has been there and the rush for first contract isn't as much as a family struggling to get by.
He's gone. We need to enjoy him while we can. We've never had a player like him before, and may never again.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:

He's gone. We need to enjoy him while we can. We've never had a player like him before, and may never again.

Why you gotta go and say that?? Let me dream until he leaves. I won't be disappointed if he does and I will absolutely enjoy every minute he plays.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

A front court with Dusan, Lauri, Ayton. Dreams are made of ideas like these
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

psiclist23 wrote:When simmons, rawle and kadeem are driving into the lane, why don't they kick it back out to Lauri more often? Our best 3 pt shooter. Seems like he needs more touches and he looked open often when not getting the ball. Am I missing something?
The quick answer = they are scorers and they are driving with that mentality. Lauri's scoring has taken a dip with the absence of a true pg facilitating the offense, both due to decisions and actual execution. His shooting ability and economical scoring ability has still given him some nice games, but you won't get the full LM without PJC.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Kobi's got to get into the PG frame of mind. That's where we need him, and that's where the NBA wants him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Puerco wrote:Kobi's got to get into the PG frame of mind. That's where we need him, and that's where the NBA wants him.
That would be a win-win for both AZ and Simmons.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:

maybe still a chance? 8-)

Lauri’s father, Pekka, told Bleacher Report that the family entered Lauri’s freshman season with a “two-year plan” for the 7-footer. In other words, they expected him to be with the Wildcats for two seasons before jumping to the professional ranks.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... e-and-done" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He gone.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He gone.
Immediate logic would say he should leave.

However, the difference between a Late Lottery Pick in 2017 and a Top-3 pick in 2018 could be $7-$8 million over his first 3 years depending on the pick.

If Draftexpress is right and Lauri goes at #8 this year, he is set to earn $7.9 million over his 1st 3 years. If the rookie scale stays the same for 2018 and he goes as the #3 pick, he will earn $12.8. If he goes #1, he earns $15.9 million.

It's obviously never set in stone how things will play out, but if he returns he is absolutely one of the front-runners for national player of the year. All the exposure plus another year of experience against American players will great for his brand. Likewise, he doesn't seem to have a predisposition to injuries so a massive insurance policy will be easy for him to take out.

I don't think he will stay, but if he does it will not be a bad choice.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

luteformayor2 wrote:

However, the difference between a Late Lottery Pick in 2017 and a Top-3 pick in 2018 could be $7-$8 million over his first 3 years depending on the pick.

If Draftexpress is right and Lauri goes at #8 this year, he is set to earn $7.9 million over his 1st 3 years. If the rookie scale stays the same for 2018 and he goes as the #3 pick, he will earn $12.8. If he goes #1, he earns $15.9 million.

It's obviously never set in stone how things will play out, but if he returns he is absolutely one of the front-runners for national player of the year. All the exposure plus another year of experience against American players will great for his brand. Likewise, he doesn't seem to have a predisposition to injuries so a massive insurance policy will be easy for him to take out.

Yeah, but leaving one year early means he earns one more year not on rookie scale, which nowadays is around 20 mil if you're a decent player. It matters more what happens when you get off the rookie scale than what your rookie numbers are.

Add in injury potential, potential to not develop like the NBA wants...I would never advise a top ten pick to stay.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I hear u space, but it's not unheard of. Blake, harden, Cauley-stein just to name a few. Albeit Cayley-stein gave up a top 10 pick his soph yr to come back for junior yr. I know there is more I'm just blanking on them.
Also Stanley almost did and w benefit of hindsight, probably should. He could have deferred a few million for one year and may very well have made 30 million more on his second contract had a) he been more ready to play at NBA level and b) found a better fit w draft.

Point is some guys aren't just "if I'm lotto I'm gone". There's more to it than that sometimes.

We are due for some luck w EEs. And that front court is really fun to think about if only for a few months.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LM is gone, guys. Let's hope he does something in the next few months to warrant inclusion among our all time greats.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not to keep repeating Lute-isms, but it's the second contract, not the first contract that matters.

The old axiom, not a Lute-ism, if you are lottery you go.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote:Not to keep repeating Lute-isms, but it's the second contract, not the first contract that matters.

The old axiom, not a Lute-ism, if you are lottery you go.
You can never repeat Lute-isms too often IMHO...the man is a Basketball God! We are so lucky to have had him as Coach and have him as our Elder Statesman for the program! We were also very fortunate to have had Bobbi for as long as we did....RIP Bobbi.

Back to Lauri, seems silly to waste time in hopes he will stay for a second year...the Stud is GONE after this year so let's just deal with it, plan for the future, and enjoy the hell out of him while we got him.

Man, I hate the whole OND thing but I guess it's here to stay for the foreseeable future......
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

8.5 rpg over his last 4 games. That was something I wanted to see more of early, that physicality and presence on the glass. It's coming.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lauri Markkanen has become the go-to guy in Tucson

Mike.Robinson Dec 30, 2016, 9:31am PST

Basketball is technically a team sport, but with only five players a side, star players can easily change a game. For the 11-2 Arizona Wildcats, Lauri Markkanen has become that player.

The 7-foot forward currently leads the Wildcats in scoring (16.1 PPG), rebounding (7.3 RPG), free throw success rate (83.3%), and three point percentage (a whopping 43.5%). His combination of skill and size had made Markkanen the focal point of Arizona's offense and has some NBA...

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... a-m-aggies" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:8.5 rpg over his last 4 games. That was something I wanted to see more of early, that physicality and presence on the glass. It's coming.
I liked that when his shot wasn't falling and Kobi asserted himself he seemed to focus wholly on rebounding and defense. Team player.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:8.5 rpg over his last 4 games. That was something I wanted to see more of early, that physicality and presence on the glass. It's coming.

agreed, lauri's shown steady improvement in his toughness on the glass, which is a great sign.

interestingly, if you normalize the metrics based on # of minutes played, dusan ranks 6th on our team in rebounds per minute for the month of december -- behind pinder, lauri, rawle, kadeem, and chance (in that order, with a steep dropoff after the top 3) -- and statistically much less productive on the boards than he was a momth ago. he's also our 3rd or 4th best shot blocker on any given day behind pinder, kadeem, and chance. it's great that dusan's scoring has improved, but i hope he steps it up in at least one of the "big toughness" stats. not expecting kaleb, but expecting progress.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LM having played in all those euro tourneys should be very ready for the NCAA. I think he will shine in March and we will have a fun ride in March
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The old cliche, "hes just a great basketball player, period" rings true. Great teammate as well.

Lauri and Rawle's rebounding has stood out lately, think they were saying Rawle had been grabbing almost 8 a game over the last four or five games. Dusan's poor rebounding lately is not surprising at all, and I wont take the rise of a few others there as an excuse, he misses a ton that an average rebounder of his size would grab. It is what it is.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Hypothetical. If a shot is put up before the buzzer and happens to bounce into the basket after the buzzer (such as a full court shot), does it count?
gumby

Post by gumby »

No. Must bounce before the buzzer. If it bounces outside arc before buzzer, it"s a three.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2 ... pires_but/" target="_blank
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:No. Must bounce before the buzzer. If it bounces outside arc before buzzer, it"s a three.

Interesting video from that thread.

Lauri #8
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

gumby wrote:No. Must bounce before the buzzer. If it bounces outside arc before buzzer, it"s a three.

Thanks for the research!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ALASKACAT wrote:

Thanks for the research!
Seconded. So basically the game expires not when the clock hits 0.00, but when it touches anything after 0.00. As it happens, 2 or 3 points are awarded if it's the inside of the rim and net that the ball touches.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Short of the obvious - the rim itself, and the front, sides, bottom (defies gravity anyhow) and top (shot clock excluded) of the backboard. Ie, bank shots count, as well as a shot that bounces on the rim for 3 seconds after the clock hits 0.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dwayne Bacon So. FSU
Lonzo Ball Fr. UCLA
Joel Berry II Jr. N. Carolina
Jaron Blossomgame Sr. Clemson
Dillon Brooks Jr. Oregon
De'Aaron Fox Fr. Kentucky
Markelle Fultz Fr. Washington
Ethan Happ So. Wisconsin
Josh Hart Sr. Villanova
Nigel Hayes Sr. Wisconsin
Josh Jackson Fr. Kansas
Justin Jackson Jr. N. Carolina
Luke Kennard So. Duke
TJ Leaf Fr. UCLA
Lauri Markkanen Fr. Arizona
Kelan Martin Jr. Butler
Frank Mason III Sr. Kansas
Malik Monk Fr. Kentucky
Monte Morris Sr. Iowa State
Johnathan Motley Jr. Baylor
Alec Peters Sr. Valparaiso
Caleb Swanigan So. Purdue
Melo Trimble Jr. Maryland
Maurice Watson Jr. Sr. Creighton
Nigel Williams-Goss Jr. Gonzaga
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Pretty decent, huh?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

An NIT MVP is not out of the question in his future
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

GOAT
loomer

Post by loomer »

Chicat wrote:
:lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

luteformayor2 wrote:

That's a nice argument in theory, but your analysis ignores an important factor -assuming the argument is based exclusively on financials.

So long as he earns between $4.9M and $8.0M in year 4, then leaving after this season is the better long term financial decision - even if he was the #1-3 pick in 2018.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

HiCat wrote:Lauri Markkanen has become the go-to guy in Tucson

Mike.Robinson Dec 30, 2016, 9:31am PST

Basketball is technically a team sport, but with only five players a side, star players can easily change a game. For the 11-2 Arizona Wildcats, Lauri Markkanen has become that player.

The 7-foot forward currently leads the Wildcats in scoring (16.1 PPG), rebounding (7.3 RPG), free throw success rate (83.3%), and three point percentage (a whopping 43.5%). His combination of skill and size had made Markkanen the focal point of Arizona's offense and has some NBA...

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... a-m-aggies" target="_blank
I am not really sure who else would even be in the conversation for best fresh in UA history.

Maybe Elliot, Bibby, & Bayless? Not anyone else I can think of... and he is better than all 3 were.