Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Momo Jones returns to Tucson

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Momo Jones returns to Tucson

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Good for him. I know he transferred, but there are some great memories of him in a Wildcat uniform.

[youtube]IwyoUZ5p3tM[/youtube]

[youtube]FqlDLokSHxQ[/youtube]
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Do a lot of kids go to these camps?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Katzenfreund wrote:Interesting tidbit from the article:
Although there remain questions about why Jones transferred, he said he has “no hard feelings” with UA coaches.

“After my junior year at Iona (in 2012) I came back to Arizona for a week and a half, and sat down talked to coach (Sean) Miller, talked to (James) Whitford and got to talk with everybody,” Jones said. “Me and coach Miller sat down one-to-one and talked to clear the air.
Sounds like the sick grandma wasn't the real reason behind his transfer after all. Why else would there be a need to clear the air with Miller and the coaching staff?
Surprise surprise, right?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

I'll never forget that Cal OT game. We won the conference outright that year by 1 game and Momo Jones won us that 1 game.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Wonder if Momo and Miller sat in the whirlpool with a nice bottle of wine while they were having that little clear-the-air discussion?
mrAZip

Post by mrAZip »

testing
mrAZip

Post by mrAZip »

???? MOMO was a fighter ..no doubt. And he is an ARIZONA WILDCAT AT heart glad to see him back
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Although there remain questions about why Jones transferred, he said he has “no hard feelings” with UA coaches.

“After my junior year at Iona (in 2012) I came back to Arizona for a week and a half, and sat down talked to coach (Sean) Miller, talked to (James) Whitford and got to talk with everybody,” Jones said. “Me and coach Miller sat down one-to-one and talked to clear the air.
Sounds like the sick grandma wasn't the real reason behind his transfer after all. Why else would there be a need to clear the air with Miller and the coaching staff?

And again why the NCAA needs to completely revamp that exception.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

As frustrating as he was at time, the kid was a gamer. I'll never forget the Cal game. Momo just refuses to let us lose that one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a fan of Momo although I don't have any vendetta against him. Sure he won the Cal game, but so many other games he forgot how short he was and tried to take it to the whole and got his shot blocked. I don't think the stats are tracked, but he has to be the all time UA leader in getting shots blocked.

No hate, just not a fan.

Much better move for him at Iona where he could play the 2 and have the NCAA assist leader at the 1.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I remember getting some grief at the time, when I stated that "sick grannie" was a bs excuse.

Not a fan of Momo...but I guess he was better than Josiah...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Olsondogg wrote:

I remember getting some grief at the time, when I stated that "sick grannie" was a bs excuse.

Momo or Lyons? Who ya got?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:

You guess he was better than Josiah? Come on.... Momo had his faults, but we would have been much better off had he not transferred away.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Is this a joke? Lyons all day.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Olsondogg wrote:Is this a joke? Lyons all day.
IIRC you weren't a Lyons guy at all.

In fact, hardly anyone on TOS was.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAGreg wrote:
IIRC you weren't a Lyons guy at all.

In fact, hardly anyone on TOS was.
Nah, I didnt' mind Lyons. I believe I even defended him. I know he wasn't liked on the board, nor on the team at the time...but I felt he won more games for us than he lost.

I never felt the same about Momo...Cal game didn't make up for all the games that were thrown away.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
You guess he was better than Josiah? Come on.... Momo had his faults, but we would have been much better off had he not transferred away.

For that solitary year, I would agree with you.

But someone who transfers because of someone behind them...and uses a BS excuse to do so...I have no respect for that. It's not like Momo looked at Iona and said, "yeah I can win a championship there"....he said "Yeah, I can jack up all the shots I want there".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Momo and Lyons are running this camp, I'd expect that it won't feature a lecture on how to be a pass first point guard.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Momo and Lyons had the same weaknesses. Distributing and defense. Glaring when we got a PG who did both.
Right where I want to be.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Katzenfreund wrote:If Momo and Lyons run this camp, I doubt that any of the kids will ever get to shoot the ball themselves.
hahahaha this one got me.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Who would win a FT competition?
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Katzenfreund wrote:If Momo and Lyons run this camp, I doubt that any of the kids will ever get to shoot the ball themselves.

Almost got a guffaw out of me with this, but I managed to keep it to a chuckle.