2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by rgdeuce »

EastCoastCat wrote:What's been overlooked is we only committed 7 turnovers in a game that was much more fast paced then any game we played this year. That probably has a lot to do with UCLA's non-aggressive defense in general but it allowed us to get back most of the game and made the Bruins work hard in their half court set.

I also think teams are underestimating our offensive prowess - Trier aside - if you heard Alford's postgame comments several times he mentioned how better we are in person versus what they saw on film.

Let's face it this team can shoot the ball and score in a variety of ways. Couple that with the fact that a Miller team will always be strong on defense and on the boards it makes this team very, very dangerous moving forward.

The bar has now been raised on my expectations for this year.
There was a tweet last night mentioning this team has the lowest turnover rate for an Arizona team
In three seasons. One of those teams had TJ, and this team was missing PJC for an extended period and has had three freshmen starting for much of the season. You really dont need that tweet to know that this team takes care of the ball, it is that obvious.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alieberman wrote:Is it a given that PJC isn't regaining his pg starter role this year?
No. But I honestly like him coming off the bench. We start the game with better size and defense, and we got PJC in to facilitate and create when some of our better offensive players are on the bench resting and Chance and Pinder are in. Less time guarding a teams #1 option at point and even fresher legs in the second when he can play to his strengths against fatigued defenders.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:Just dreaming a bit but say we went 18-0 with 2 wins over UCLA and a road win at Oregon and say Gonzage went undefeated in the regular season, who gets the 1 seed out west?
Us. Gonzagas gonna drop a game though, probably on the road to St Marys.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:I'm for keeping Trier as 6th man. I love having firepower come off the bench, especially when we start slow. Could stagger it so Zo and Lauri are never out of the game at the same time. Might be best for chemistry, too.

No disruption to current starters. Zo just happy to play.
I think the end game at this point is a lineup of:

Kadeem
Zo
Rawle
Lauri
Dusan

You get the same firepower from Kobi off the bench, who would still play starter type minutes. Let's be real, Zo wouldn't be just happy to play.
With you 100% on that lineup.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Is it a given that PJC isn't regaining his pg starter role this year?
Would be absurd if it were.
I don't see why it'd be absurd at all.
By whatever measure, he won the starting role at the start of the season. Why would earning it back be barred from him now?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

rgdeuce wrote:
No. But I honestly like him coming off the bench. We start the game with better size and defense, and we got PJC in to facilitate and create when some of our better offensive players are on the bench resting and Chance and Pinder are in. Less time guarding a teams #1 option at point and even fresher legs in the second when he can play to his strengths against fatigued defenders.
What I like about this strategy, is it gives us two different looks that a team has to prep for. Man up and try to stop the power line, then when they get fatigued as you note, bring in a more uptempo slice and dice offense that you have to keep up with. Then then our first team is rested, we come back at you with the boom.

Forces teams to have to game plan for really two different types of teams, only with the same opponent in Arizona.

Comment I loved in the Miller video "Tonight our offense was a key part of our defense."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. And if teams switch things up and go to zone and we are struggling, he can go in and help with that. I think very highly of PJCs game this year, probably more than most, but it's just hard for me to keep senior Kadeem on the bench, he's a guy I want on the floor as much as I can within reason. What he is to this team gets so underrated because of the sheer talent we have. For as much grief as he gets for not being a true PG, our low turnover rate mentioned above is a testament of his play (along with the rest of the team). And now that Trier is back, the need to "facilitate" isnt as great. Like Spliff said before the season, with all these weapons, he just needs to play D and take care of the ball.

It was nice to see PJC knock down a couple of those outside shots last night. We have been shooting the 3 really well the last several games, and it was clear Alfords plan was to pack the paint and let us shoot from outside. He must have not been paying attention.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:And now that Trier is back, the need to "facilitate" isnt as great.
For Trier, facilitating is showcasing. That's what NBA scouts said he needs to demonstrate he can do. And that's what he did at Pauley.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thankful I read that a second time before posting :lol:
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Just give me this lineup 1 time

Kadeem/PJC
Trier
Kobi
Rawle
Lauri
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Great win yesterday. Being wrong never felt so good. Great to have AT back! Go Cats!

Decided I'll be sticking around. It's only a message board. So before you start the "lock hik up!" chants, understand that your energy is probably better spent discussing AZ hoops than hurling personal insults and acting like you're 10 years old. My apologies to any actual 10 year olds here.

Bear down!
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
Do you ever look in the mirror and think to yourself "I wish I wasn't so reactionary."
Have you ever wondered why you have become this boards punching bag?

If the answers to all these questions are No, then there really isn't any good reason to keep you around
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Great win yesterday. Being wrong never felt so good. Great to have AT back! Go Cats!

Decided I'll be sticking around. It's only a message board. So before you start the "lock hik up!" chants, understand that your energy is probably better spent discussing AZ hoops than hurling personal insults and acting like you're 10 years old. My apologies to any actual 10 year olds here.

Bear down!
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
Do you ever look in the mirror and think to yourself "I wish I wasn't so reactionary."
Have you ever wondered why you have become this boards punching bag?

If the answers to all these questions are No, then there really isn't any good reason to keep you around
If he answers "no" to any of those questions, he should be allowed to do his own laundry and eat mashed potatoes and borrow library books and stuff like that, but I don't think he can come back here legally. We'd all be in trouble with the IRS and federal law enforcement and the Albuquerque Sheriff's Office. I'm pretty sure.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Main Event wrote:Just give me this lineup 1 time

Kadeem/PJC
Trier
Kobi
Rawle
Lauri
I would have agreed with you earlier in the season, but Rawle has won me over with his improved defense and mostly, his rebounding. Kobi and PJC off the bench is lightning! Either way, the fact that one of them is not going to be starting is a testament to how nuts this team is now.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Bear down!
You're the one that made the bet. No one forced you. Welching on it is the ultimate bitch move.

I'm all for you getting a ban for trying to come back after that.
prh

Post by prh »

Not to beat a dead horse, but West #2 with Gonzaga as the 1 would be perfect. If they drop a game and we flip spots, that's fine too. I definitely don't want to be a 1 elsewhere with them as the West 1 though, because that's just trading Gonzaga for a team that is probably much more athletic and difficult for us. I'm more concerned about us playing Oregon (with Brooks) or UCLA again than Gonzaga. That #2 could be Baylor or Kentucky. I'm not saying we would lose those, I think we're ready to roll. But I'd much rather play Gonzaga and some random 3 seed.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm already hyperventilating thinking about being in the west and Wisconsin being in our bracket again somehow.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rgdeuce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:I'm for keeping Trier as 6th man. I love having firepower come off the bench, especially when we start slow. Could stagger it so Zo and Lauri are never out of the game at the same time. Might be best for chemistry, too.

Kadeem
Zo
Rawle
Lauri
Dusan

You get the same firepower from Kobi off the bench, who would still play starter type minutes. Let's be real, Zo wouldn't be just happy to play.
With you 100% on that lineup.
CSM said a few weeks ago that kobi's good with being the first one off the bench. likes the idea of being our spark guy like rondae a couple of seasons ago.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fishclamps wrote:

Bear down!
You're the one that made the bet. No one forced you. Welching on it is the ultimate bitch move.

I'm all for you getting a ban for trying to come back after that.
Preemptively trying to declare anyone who has an issue with bailing on the bet a 10 year old is a fun decision too.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah it's ban time.

prh

Post by prh »

Guys I'm pretty sure Chi already took care of that. Let's get back to important things like whether or not we get to smack Gonzaga in the tourney
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'm already hyperventilating thinking about being in the west and Wisconsin being in our bracket again somehow.
If I was rich, I'd pay off committee members to ensure we're on a collision course with Wisconsin in our bracket. I want to play them this year.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I'm already hyperventilating thinking about being in the west and Wisconsin being in our bracket again somehow.
If I was rich, I'd pay off committee members to ensure we're on a collision course with Wisconsin in our bracket. I want to play them this year.
If the Zags slip up and we sneak in the top line, we could conceivably be the 1 out west, with Gonzaga as the 2, and Wisconsin as the 4. I'd take that in a heartbeat
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:Just give me this lineup 1 time

Kadeem/PJC
Trier
Kobi
Rawle
Lauri
They had that lineup out there in crunch time at one point. I love it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
By whatever measure, he won the starting role at the start of the season. Why would earning it back be barred from him now?
Because things change from the 1st game of the season to the 20th. When PJC was the initial starter the freshmen wings hadn't proved themselves yet. They now have along with Kadeem and it's hard to sit them down for Parker, especially when him coming off the bench has been just as effective for us.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

I think with the progress of the freshman and Trier returning, it makes far more sense for PJC to come off the bench. At the beginning of the season, we struggled offensively when we sat some starters. Now, we're starting a defensive stopper in Kadeem, plus 4 other guys who can score (Kadeem can too, but I'm fine with him focusing effort on defense). Then, the first set of subs brings PJC and Kobi/Trier, along with how Comanche has progressed, and suddenly we are just as potent on offense (albeit much different) and still sufficient defensively.

Regarding Commanche, I think he is much better suited when PJC is in the game. LM and Dusan are better at creating their own shots, and Chance is really helped by having a playmaker of PJC's style in with him. Chance paired w/ Kadeem/Rawle/Kobi seems like a bit of a drop-off to me.
Last edited by prh on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Because things change from the beginning of the season to the 20th. When PJC was the initial starter the freshmen wings hadn't proved themselves yet. They now have along with Kadeem and it's hard to sit them down for Parker, especially when him coming off the bench has been just as effective for us.
I agree with you fully but PJC needs to practice and play like he's going to beat out Allen. Last year he basically stopped trying. It would be absurd if it were a given that he isn't regaining his starting role.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

NYCat wrote:
Can we also ban anyone from using initials instead of names.
but...but....I do that all the time :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

prh wrote:Guys I'm pretty sure Chi already took care of that. Let's get back to important things like whether or not we get to smack Gonzaga in the tourney
I can confirm, Chi did in fact take care of that.
Banned user for reason “”
» Beachcat97
Although he sure was lazy with not putting any reason in. Sheesh Chi! ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

IMO those top 8 teams plus Duke and Oregon all have legitimate shots at a FF.

I think this might be the most wide open tourney we have ever had. Getting a chubby just thinking about our cats in the FF in Glendale, AZ
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He was gassing us through out the whole game yesterday, doesn't surprise me
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
prh wrote:Guys I'm pretty sure Chi already took care of that. Let's get back to important things like whether or not we get to smack Gonzaga in the tourney
» Beachcat97
All of the reasons wouldn't fit in the little space they allow you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:IMO those top 8 teams plus Duke and Oregon all have legitimate shots at a FF.

I think this might be the most wide open tourney we have ever had. Getting a chubby just thinking about our cats in the FF in Glendale, AZ
Vegas-->Sacramento/Salt Lake-->San Jose-->Glendale

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks for the reminder hater...no LA!

Sweet!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
» Beachcat97
All of the reasons wouldn't fit in the little space they allow you.
:shock: :lol: :lol:

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

prh wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but West #2 with Gonzaga as the 1 would be perfect. If they drop a game and we flip spots, that's fine too. I definitely don't want to be a 1 elsewhere with them as the West 1 though, because that's just trading Gonzaga for a team that is probably much more athletic and difficult for us. I'm more concerned about us playing Oregon (with Brooks) or UCLA again than Gonzaga. That #2 could be Baylor or Kentucky. I'm not saying we would lose those, I think we're ready to roll. But I'd much rather play Gonzaga and some random 3 seed.
3 seed is gonna be Duke
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

College basketball rankings: Arizona, UCLA going different ways in Top 25 (and 1)

7th Arizona 8-)

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ngs/top25/" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On the front page of the ESPN college basketball section right now, an excited anchorperson asks Goodman if Arizona is a legit Final Four team. He stuffs his cheeks with Lifesavers, shoehorns in a little dig that Arizona wouldn't make it out of the first weekend without Trier, and resists answering her question.
Last edited by Longhorned on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Longhorned wrote:On the front page of the ESPN college basketball section right now, an excited anchorperson asks Goodman if Arizona is a legit Final Four team. He stuffs his cheeks with Lifesavers, shoehorns in a little dig that Arizona wouldn't make it out of the first weekend with Trier, and resists answering her question.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... as-arrived" target="_blank
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Longhorned wrote:On the front page of the ESPN college basketball section right now, an excited anchorperson asks Goodman if Arizona is a legit Final Four team. He stuffs his cheeks with Lifesavers, shoehorns in a little dig that Arizona wouldn't make it out of the first weekend with Trier, and resists answering her question.
Haha wtf, he really didn't answer the simple question. Goodman is the definition of a mouth breather. It's a miracle he has the career he has.

I also like how he still kinda questions Trier being cleared by the NCAA. As if the NCAA isn't a bunch of hard asses, and they grant appeal victories every day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Something happened to Goodman when he was at UA. I'm guessing it was a combination of never getting laid and having to pretend he had to study constantly so that no one knew he had no friends.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Too early for this video yet? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tulcy

Anyone else remember how far we got last time in honor Bobbi?

Wonder how this team will continue in honor of their fallen comrade Ray Smith?

20 years ago.....BTFD.

https://youtu.be/U00m6LeKJWs Legendary
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
You know, we were flying under the radar and sort of underrated. We win one game and skyrocket.

I love our potential, but we were better than people realized for a while, and now we probably need to pump the brakes a little. We have the ability to make those predictions reality, but right now, UCLA was a big win, but it is only one game.

I think our homestand says a lot. If we continue advancing, we did good things. I could see a significant risk of a hangover and letdown.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Kadeem
Zo
Rawle
Lauri
Dusan

Rondae didn't start. Got starter minutes. That's all I'm saying.
Right where I want to be.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
You know, we were flying under the radar and sort of underrated. We win one game and skyrocket.

I love our potential, but we were better than people realized for a while, and now we probably need to pump the brakes a little. We have the ability to make those predictions reality, but right now, UCLA was a big win, but it is only one game.

I think our homestand says a lot. If we continue advancing, we did good things. I could see a significant risk of a hangover and letdown.
Word!

This is what I am concerned about. "The Edge" is such a fine line. Beating us will be many of the Cats' opponents National Championship. If the Cats come out unprepared and think any win will come easy, we are going to be taught a lesson. Just keep the chip on your shoulder and play 40 minutes of focused basketball, with the intent to improve and the Cats will be ready come March.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Also, Kadeem, best defender, is starting, regardless of what occurs with PJC and Trier.

If PJC and Trier start, both frosh guards are coming off the bench. Can't see it. Also, agree that PJC and Chance should play at the same time. Miller will tell Alkins and/or Simmons to be really aggressive from the tip, especially on D, knowing two early fouls is no longer fatal.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

You echo my thoughts and fears to a tee. What gives me hope is that Miller didn't treat the USC game like it was a good win. In fact, it seemed like he treated the team like they had just lost an easy one at home. Makes me think he's not going to allow anyone to get to high or full of themselves now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

You echo my thoughts and fears to a tee. What gives me hope is that Miller didn't treat the USC game like it was a good win. In fact, it seemed like he treated the team like they had just lost an easy one at home. Makes me think he's not going to allow anyone to get to high or full of themselves now.
I agree. Miller absolutely gets the pitfalls of success. How well it translates to the team...that is always the question. Miller will definitely give the right messages, though.

I hope the high of having Trier back will help avoid the hangover. I have to imagine Zo is the least likely guy to lose focus over UCLA because he's gotta be fired up to get out of the NCAA jail.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Kadeem
Zo
Rawle
Lauri
Dusan

Rondae didn't start. Got starter minutes. That's all I'm saying.
For half a season, and while he never said anything publicly, he wasn't exactly happy about it. It was an overall error in judgment to bring Rondae off the bench for York and it was corrected at the midway point of the season thankfully. Your more experienced guy gets the start if it's even debatable who is a better player. Between Zo and Kobi it's debatable, between Rondae and York it wasn't.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.