2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Puerco »

catgrad97 wrote:deuce, good analysis, but just curious how you put Alkins over Kobi as the fifth starter at this point? I don't.
Rawle has better advanced stats across the board than Kobi, so he deserves the start from that perspective. From a fit perspective I like what Rawle brings on the boards, an area where Kobi is very weak.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Ha.

I just re-read the first page of this thread that started back in April.

Interesting to notice the difference between speculation and reality.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I really wasnt crazy about the offense last night. It felt like there were a lot of posessions where Zo dribbled down and either took a three we could get anytime in the shot clock or he tried to drive one on one from the top of the key without any passes. I am happy to have him back but last night it felt more like he was a featured NBA player with iso situations where everyone else stands around and watches instead of the good offensive flow we had on Saturday. This kind of offense is fine against a team like Washington State but we will lose playing this kind of offense against a good team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Here's how I feel:

1. When I read about how great UA is, I worry that it will get to the players heads and that we will buy too much of the hype and will lose...so I hate it.

2. When I don't read enough about how great UA is, I feel like the program is being disrespected and that people aren't paying attention because they don't watch us....so I hate it.
I think Gumby just shed a proud little tear....
:lol:

My boys are growing up.
Right where I want to be.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Mark Titus (one of the best sports writers ever) shows us some love...

https://theringer.com/college-basketbal ... .m6gjsy2jz" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

catgrad97 wrote:deuce, good analysis, but just curious how you put Alkins over Kobi as the fifth starter at this point? I don't.
It's a fit thing for me, for both the starters and the bench. I think Rawle is the better catch and shoot guy of the two. When you look at the other four starters, Dusan gets his down low; Lauri is a catch and shoot guy who attack when needed; although Trier can shoot off the catch, he is going to be a guy who also dominates the ball quite a bit and creates a lot with his dribble; and Kadeem is a guy who is going to get most of his with drives to the basket or a drive and short to mid range pull up. So you would be throwing Kobi, a guy who can shoot the 3 but what makes him successful is his superior quickness and dribble and using that to get shots off (eg: his size up or jab-step 3s, or using size ups and jab steps to set up his drive and pull-up from mid range). The ball "stops" in Kobi's hands more than Rawle's. Three guys whose games are primarily or rely heavily on the dribble is too much for me. Whereas throw Kobi out with Comanche and Parker and two of the starters, one of Trier or Kadeem is probably going to be out, and there will be time when both are out, so Kobi's shot creation abilities can be more appreciated and fit in better.

Two other reasons is physical balance and rebounding. Dusan is a finesse guy and not a great rebounder, Lauri plays a more finesse style and is a good rebounder on both ends, Trier is a finesse guy, and Kadeem is muscle at the 1. I want another muscle in there (pause). If teams got all speedy wings, you can always get Kobi in there. With Lauri playing primarily on a wing, Rawle can go in there with the bigger guys and hold his own and get offensive rebounds or muscle and finish off a pass. Having two physical guys 1-3 is a big deal for the wear down too, rather than having just Kadeem and two lean wings.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Crazy how much the dynamic of this team changed At the flip of a switch. Remember how important PJC was to us at one point of the season? Was crazy seeing the offense run through Trier in the second half, him breaking a pair of ankles and whizzing a pass by the help's head to the open man for a dunk, while PJC was stationary in the corner. Or running the pick and roll with Chance for an easy dunk. Kobi was our grinder for tough buckets when we needed them. Now, it looks like a situation where he may be a LOT quieter when Trier is on the floor, if they even share the floor that often.

Several different hands Miller can play here. I think Dusan, Lauri, Rawle, Trier and Allen may be best starting 5 in the country. Trier obviously is a different beast and can facilitate an offense now. Kadeem obviously the glue guy and lockdown defender. If it were me, I'd have him and Trier alternating who is playing off the ball after the offense gets set and lean in one direction or the other depending on how hot Trier's hand is that day and matchups. You watch what Trier was doing in the second half and what Lonzo Ball did against us, there really wasnt that much of a difference. Trier is obviously the more rounded scorer and Ball is the superior passer, but the end result is similarly deadly. How do you defender Lauri and Trier in a two man game? You cant. Dusan is nearly automatic inside and Rawle compliments the starters perfectly.

I think Comanches minutes stay up. Kobi's strength is mitigated by Trier's presence IMO, but obviously in a smaller lineup that team is going to be tough to stay with, just has to roll with things and understand hes not going to have quite as many big games and just needs to get buckets when they are there and play D. PJCs just going to have to make the most of his minutes and be solid when the team needs him to. As far as Pinder, Im just really not feeling him outside of emergency situations w guys in foul trouble and the occasional matchup problem. The offense really falls flat with him out on the floor and when he is out there it really means just one less weapon we are keeping in our pocket for no real reason other than maybe a little bit more rest for someone
I cannot give rep, but this is a good post.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

jsbowl16 wrote:I really wasnt crazy about the offense last night. It felt like there were a lot of posessions where Zo dribbled down and either took a three we could get anytime in the shot clock or he tried to drive one on one from the top of the key without any passes. I am happy to have him back but last night it felt more like he was a featured NBA player with iso situations where everyone else stands around and watches instead of the good offensive flow we had on Saturday. This kind of offense is fine against a team like Washington State but we will lose playing this kind of offense against a good team.
I missed the first 10 minutes or so of the first half, so I'm not speaking with a complete picture here, but I just thought the team was hungover from the big win on Saturday and gave sub-par effort on both ends for a lot of the game. As we were getting deep into the 2nd half, in my head I did think, Jesus Trier is dribbling the air out of that basketball. But after a several possessions, my opinion, it was Trier just saying enough is enough with this close game BS, and he decided he was going to take over the game. It was like a 2 point game then and it went from 2 to 18 really quick. When Trier took over, I think we made 7 or 8 straight baskets. Kind of ignited everyone else because guess what, the defense picked up around that point too. Regardless, Washington State defenders could not stay in front of him, he wasn't taking bad shots (I remember 2 or 3 were layups or within a few feet), and he dished out several assists. He finished the game with 7. Nuts.

Regardless, this is an adjustment period for more than just Trier. Guys are going to have to make adjustments and fit into new roles or seeing their roles adjusted. That was likely another (and maybe the biggest) reason for the stagnation/ugliness/whatever. In my prior post, I pointed out the play where Trier drove and dish and PJC was stuck in the corner and of no fault to him, looking like he was lost (although he was in the right spot). He was just not used to that. Just going to take some time to get that fluidity.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I used the word hungover too. The D was really meh all night. We kicked in for long enough to do what we needed to do to separate from WSU, but that was a letdown after UCLA. I would think Miller is going to tell them this sort of effort is not ok, and do so in pretty blunt terms.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I used the word hungover too. The D was really meh all night. We kicked in for long enough to do what we needed to do to separate from WSU, but that was a letdown after UCLA. I would think Miller is going to tell them this sort of effort is not ok, and do so in pretty blunt terms.
Miller was pretty calm last night. He knew they would create a little bit of separation late, but obviously he let a lot of things play out and stayed quiet so the team could push themselves into a huge teaching moment. At least how I took it. May have also been an intentional re-crowning of Trier as "the guy." When they pushed the lead up to 16 or 18, WSU called a time out and Trier was fired the F up, body slamming into guys and yelling out, lets go. Maybe reading into it too much here, but almost like Miller knew Trier wouldnt let that happen and would step up and be the leader. Teammates see that and see him pick up the crown and put it on and realize, ok, we know whose team this is now and we have no argument.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

jsbowl16 wrote:I really wasnt crazy about the offense last night. It felt like there were a lot of posessions where Zo dribbled down and either took a three we could get anytime in the shot clock or he tried to drive one on one from the top of the key without any passes. I am happy to have him back but last night it felt more like he was a featured NBA player with iso situations where everyone else stands around and watches instead of the good offensive flow we had on Saturday. This kind of offense is fine against a team like Washington State but we will lose playing this kind of offense against a good team.

I kind of agree. Zo stats look great. He did some great things. The 7 assists were great. But he took 3 AWFUL shots from not NBA range, but Steph curry range. One he made early, one he hit the backboard, and one he barely found rim. The one he made wasn't horrible I guess cuz shotclock was under 10.

Late in game he missed a WIDE OPEN Lauri right next to him for 3 and instead drove into 2 guys and got founded and made both FTs. Great play right? I disagree. He had it preplanned he was going to basket on that play when he stepped over half court. Truly great players don't predetermine their course of action on a set, they make the right play based on the D.

I love Zo, we are infinitely better w him, and sometimes last year we needed him to put his head down and drive when the offense was stagnant. But this years O is so efficient we won't need that much. But by his own admission he's still far behind w cohesiveness on this team so I lean towards he's not showing off for scouts, just pressing cuz he's so anxious from time missed. He's an extremely coachable kid by all accounts and the assists are a great great sign going foward.

I think the ceiling on this team is really really high.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This team seems to only have one major problem. All others seem to be minor or come and go based on luck or just that night.

Bringing the heat and focus for 40 minutes every game.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier said he's not in rhythm yet, and Miller also said it "felt funny." It's just Game 2. Took Miles Simon many games to blend back in. That team really didn't get going until the second week of the NCAA tournament. Barely got past S. Ala and Charleston.

Plus, Trier has never played with three of these guys outside of practice.
prh

Post by prh »

Last night I sat there wondering if we were using the game as practice. i.e. let Trier take 20 shots and continue working himself back. He's never bombed away threes like that before, but with the way he's been playing (unselfish, team play), I don't expect that to continue occurring. There's only so much that can be done in practice, may as well use a bad team to let him run wild. If nothing else, Miller keeps his teams too disciplined to let that become the norm. As deuce said, Miller was calm all night. There were plenty of things we did that don't fit on a Miller team but it seemed like we let it go on purpose.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:
Late in game he missed a WIDE OPEN Lauri right next to him for 3 and instead drove into 2 guys and got founded and made both FTs. Great play right? I disagree. He had it preplanned he was going to basket on that play when he stepped over half court. Truly great players don't predetermine their course of action on a set, they make the right play based on the D.
Larry Bird and Michael Jordan disagree with you :lol: And they were doing that with some of the greatest players and role players of all time on the court with them. I guess time will tell, it's early, so I wouldn't panic or make any negative assumptions just yet. The team is going to need time to adjust. We knew what Trier was when he was in sweatpants and what he is is what makes him such a great offensive player. He's Paul Pierce and not Ray Allen, so you have to let him be Paul Pierce and not ask him to be Ray Allen, if that makes sense. Sometimes Pierce is going to take a contested shot when Garnett and Ray Allen are wide open, but you take the good with the bad because in crunch time, you need a Paul Pierce, not two Ray Allens and a KG.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:This team seems to only have one major problem. All others seem to be minor or come and go based on luck or just that night.

What do you see as the major problem? Genuinely curious.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Bringing the heat .."
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

rgdeuce wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:This team seems to only have one major problem. All others seem to be minor or come and go based on luck or just that night.

What do you see as the major problem? Genuinely curious.
Bringing the focus and drive and effort for the entire gsme consistently. Really can't think of many games outside of UCLA when it was the case. Team is good enough to bring it for 30 and get bye some and bring it for 15 and get by others but need it all 40 minutes to get to where the team is capable of being.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A lot of that is just the ebb and flow of a basketball game. You hope for the full 40 nights in the big games but you just aren't going to see a night in-night out full 40 from most teams. Even those TJ/Rondae,etc. teams, they gave you a full 40 on defense, but we were always bitching about them only being focused on offense for 15-20 most games.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

PennZona20 wrote:

I was sitting behind the UA bench last night and after that play, during the media timeout, Coach Miller spent the first 30 seconds talking directly to Trier about looking for Markkanen and not putting the blinders on and driving to the basket. Sure, he got the free throws and made them both. But that wasn't what Sean was looking for from him.
Formerly McLurvin
gumby

Post by gumby »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

I was sitting behind the UA bench last night and after that play, during the media timeout, Coach Miller spent the first 30 seconds talking directly to Trier about looking for Markkanen and not putting the blinders on and driving to the basket. Sure, he got the free throws and made them both. But that wasn't what Sean was looking for from him.
Love hearing this. Thanks.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

God I love our coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The knock on Trier from scouts was he couldn't faciliate. With his ability to drive he could and should have 6 dimes a game. He is doing great so far but last night he had a couple of those moments
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I saw the Lauri one as well. I pointed out to the wife that Lauri was wide open there and passing to such a high percentage 3 point shooter WIDE OPEN was the obvious right play whether Zo got fouled and hit the FTs or not. It's hard to nitpick a guy who had 7 assists coming off the bench last night and has 11 total in 2 games when last year he had 31 total the entire season, but there's still improvement to be made here obviously. He'll get it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I saw the Lauri one as well. I pointed out to the wife that Lauri was wide open there and passing to such a high percentage 3 point shooter WIDE OPEN was the obvious right play whether Zo got fouled and hit the FTs or not. It's hard to nitpick a guy who had 7 assists coming off the bench last night and has 11 total in 2 games when last year he had 31 total the entire season, but there's still improvement to be made here obviously. He'll get it.
It's also that Miller will correct mistakes. Some coaches don't and let players get away with sub-optimal play. Here, Miller is driving towards the absolute best every play. Other coaches (Alford) will let he players play and swallow mistakes.

With Miller, it doesn't mean Trier isn't doing a lot of good things. It means Miller isn't scared to address the bad things too.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Exactly. We have yet to see the best out of Trier , which is scary and, no doubt Miller will bring it out of him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If Arizona beats Washington, we'll be #5 in both polls on Monday.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Longhorned wrote:If Arizona beats Washington, we'll be #5 in both polls on Monday.
thinking #4

Everyone else has lost other than Baylor & Gonzaga(1 game left) . Kansas lost but beat Kentucky, so they'll drop a spot
prh

Post by prh »

whatisee wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If Arizona beats Washington, we'll be #5 in both polls on Monday.
thinking #4

Everyone else has lost other than Baylor & Gonzaga(1 game left) . Kansas lost but beat Kentucky, so they'll drop a spot
EDIT: Nevermind, forgot how to read
Last edited by prh on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

prh wrote:
whatisee wrote:
thinking #4

You're forgetting Baylor
Ummm...no i didn't. Re-read my post

1. Zags
2. Baylor
3. Kansas
prh

Post by prh »

whatisee wrote:
prh wrote:
whatisee wrote:
thinking #4

You're forgetting Baylor
Ummm...no i didn't. Re-read my post

1. Zags
2. Baylor
3. Kansas
Wow sorry man, yeah I did misread it. Good call, I'd agree we're at 4
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My thought is we're not jumping Villanova if they beat Virginia tomorrow. They'd be #4.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Ya I'm of the same thought, if Nova wins we are 5 if they lose we are 4
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Question / Hypothetical: What if Stanley had stuck around for this year? Would that have impacted Rawle or Kobi committing? If not, wow.....how nice it is when you have players stick around for more than a 'OND'.....as much as I am proud of AG and Stanley....I definitely like RHJ more (ok, he's easy to love, great character guy) and especially TJ, Nick, BAsh, etc.

Really miss the old days when you got to enjoy seeing the players develop for 3 years....or even 2 seasons, worst case.

OAN, Looking at Oregon, they are going to be tough next year with all their Senior Talent.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Stanley was two years ago, BW.
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:Stanley was two years ago, BW.
Doh....thanks...wth was I thinking? Never mind.....

EDIT: Last year's team (other than that amazing comeback by Gabe to beat Cal at home) was pretty unremarkable :-(
gumby

Post by gumby »

I wonder about the dynamic if Josh Jackson had committed. We already had a better player -- Lauri (just didn't know it at the time). Could argue that we wouldn't be as cohesive. Contributions of the three freshman would've been altered, but for the better? Those three have worked together well. OTOH, Jackson looks like a team player.

Just never know.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

EDIT: Last year's team (other than that amazing comeback by Gabe to beat Cal at home) was pretty unremarkable :-(
Well, I certainly enjoyed the comeback victory over Gonzaga in Spokane.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Not to change the subject, but in the plausible event that Arizona faces Gonzaga in the west bracket, how dangerous would Karnowski be? Obviously Arizona is a different team with Trier and PJC in the rotation. But one place we miss Tarc is guarding very strong, minimally mobile but highly skilled centers. Even Connor Clifford was a major problem, with the difference being a lack weapons at positions 1-4. I don't know what Miller's answer would be. Making the game too fast for him?
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Not to change the subject, but in the plausible event that Arizona faces Gonzaga in the west bracket, how dangerous would Karnowski be? Obviously Arizona is a different team with Trier and PJC in the rotation. But one place we miss Tarc is guarding very strong, minimally mobile but highly skilled centers. Even Connor Clifford was a major problem, with the difference being a lack weapons at positions 1-4. I don't know what Miller's answer would be. Making the game too fast for him?
I think part of the solution, with our added depth, would be to go straight at him offensively and try to get him in foul trouble. Keep him on the bench as much as possible.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

A problem, for sure. Don't see many back-to-bucket guys anymore. Those two were a load.

More doubling. More scoring by us to offset.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Definitely double him on the catch and get out and run when we can.
Bangkok Wildcat

gumby wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Me too Gumby, good call.....not much more than this that I can think of though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Karnowsky is going to kill us no matter what. Let him have his 20, throw and feint some occasional double teams at him to keep him off balance, but let him do him and wear himself out. Win the game when he is resting and hopefully he is beat when he is on the floor in the final few minutes. If not, then you can get creative with him. You could also up the tempo and run his ass out of the game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kadeem did an amazing job on Fultz today. Dont have many more positives I left with outside of giving Rawle his due kudos for busting his ass almost the whole game. Been a while since Lauri has had a night like that on the defensive end. Point guard play was brutal. Rebounding was atrocious, 18 offensive boards for UW and I think Dusan was responsible for at least 8. First time I've ever dropped an F bomb in McKale and he was responsible for both. Trier really has to give us more on D. Take the win but I'd hate to be at the next two practices. Team was sleepwalking the whole week, hope it gets figured out by Thursday.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

It looked to me like they were deferring to Trier too much. Kobi was hesitating and not firing away. Just waiting for Trier to make something happen. I hope we don't lose the team concept we have had all season and especially UCLA. That game showed what we are capable of.

On another note, I have been watching some of the other favorites NC, Villanova, KU, etc. None look better to my eye than we did against UCLA.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

CBS bracketology currently has both Duke and Kentucky in our half of the West quarter before we get to Gonzaga.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

CBS West Region

1 Gonzaga
2 Arizona
3 Virginia
4 Wisconsin

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology" target="_blank
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ESPN West Region

1 GONZAGA
2 ARIZONA
3 West Virginia
4 Virginia

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Arizona plus Virginia means all packline, all the time. I would rather be a 2 in the West opposite Zaga than a 1 in another region.